Focal 100 ICLCR 5
In-ceiling home theater speaker with built-in back-box
Our take on the Focal 100 ICLCR 5 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Engaging overhead surround sound
We don't often recommend in-ceiling speakers for your home theater's front channels. That's because most models fire straight downward, so the sound tends to seem disconnected from your TV screen. Focal's 100 ICLCR 5 is a rare exception of an in-ceiling speaker that does a great job reproducing your home theater's front soundstage.
This speaker's angled baffle directs sound down and forward toward your listening position. It makes the movie's soundtrack feel like it's coming from the action unfolding on the screen, instead of several feet above it. This specialized design allows for use as a left-, right-, or center-channel speaker in an overhead home theater system.
The 100 ICLCR 5's drivers are angled to direct sound toward your seat.
Super smooth performance
This speaker employs a passive radiator design to create lifelike sound in your room. It features two of Focal's 5" Polyglass woofers for punchy bass and articulate midrange. Smooth, natural highs come courtesy of a 1" aluminum tweeter. And an 8" Polyglass passive radiator helps reinforce low-frequency "oomph."
A built-in enclosure elevates performance
One of my favorite features of the 100 ICLCR 5 is the back-box that's built onto the speaker. This carefully designed enclosure helps this speaker deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust and dirt out.
If this is a do-it-yourself installation, check out our guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. Free lifetime technical support is provided with every Crutchfield purchase.
- specialized design allows for use as a left-, right-, or center-channel speaker in an overhead home theater system
- angled-baffle design directs sound toward your listening position
- can be used for front- or rear-channel speaker locations
- integrated channel selector lets you identify where the speaker will be within your system to optimize performance
- 1" aluminum inverted dome tweeter
- tweeter pivots 360° to direct high frequencies toward you
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- dual 5" Polyglass woofers for smooth midrange
- 8" Polyglass passive radiator for reinforced bass output
- humidity-resistant design (not recommended for direct exposure to water)
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- unobtrusive frame and paintable magnetic grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 25-120 watts
- frequency response: 65-23,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- designed and developed in France
- cutout dimensions: 12-7/8"W x 12-7/8"H
- overall dimensions: 13-15/16"W x 13-15/16"H
- mounting depth: 5-13/16"
- weight: 11.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- One in-ceiling speaker enclosure
- Eight 3-1/2" Wood-screws
- 1 Metal-mesh grill (white)
- Cut-out template
- Quickstart guide
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||12.813 x 12.813|
|Power Range (Watts)||25-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Overview: The Focal 100 ICLCR5 is a two-way, in-ceiling speaker designed for home theater applications. It can be used as either a front left, right, or center channel or as a rear channel, especially in large rooms with no rear wall nearby for floor or in-wall speakers. A 3-position switch is provided that can shift the speaker's imaging depending on which location the speaker is in, with choices of Left, Right, or Center.
Design: The 100 ICLCR5 features dual 5" Polyglass cone woofers and an 8" passive radiator for deep bass response, along with a 1" aluminum inverted dome tweeter. The speaker's compact unibody and new crossover were designed to improve sound dispersion and off-axis listening, helping to avoid the "shower effect". The tweeter can be tilted up to 20˚ in any direction and includes a 3-way switch for adjusting the output level according to the acoustic environment with selections of -3dB, 0dB, and +3dB. The speaker includes a paintable, magnetic, metal-mesh grill. Small magnets around the rim of the speaker allow the grill to be easily placed and removed with no tools required. A set of spring-posts are provided for attaching speaker wire.
Installation: The Focal in-ceiling speaker includes 8 integrated mounting brackets with optimized grips. These allow the speaker to be locked into place by simply tightening the 8 Philips-head screws after placing speaker in the opening. As the screw is tightened, the arms will swing outward and press against the backside of the drywall or mounting surface. The screws remain attached to the mounting arms, even when fully loosened, preventing them from falling out and making for an easier installation. Eight 3-1/2" wood-screws are provided for mounting directly to framing.
- Drivers: Dual 5" Polyglass woofers, one 8" passive radiator, and a 1" aluminum inverted dome tweeter
- Sensitivity: 92db
- Frequency Response (+/- 3dB): 65Hz - 23kHz
- Impedance: 8Ω
- RMS Power: 25 - 120W
- Cutout Dimensions: 12.813" x 12.813"
- Mounting Depth: 5.88"
- External Dimensions: Width - 13.88", Length - 13.88", Depth - 6.125"
- Net Weight: 11.6 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Experience with Focal automobile speakers [ Frank Aug 20, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Focal 100 ICLCR 5
In-ceiling home theater speaker with built-in back-box$449.99 each
Polk Audio RC6s
In-ceiling stereo input speaker
Polk Audio RC60i
Polk Audio RC80i