Center channel speaker
Our take on the KLH Story by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
The centerpiece of your home theater
Building a home theater system with KLH's attractive new line of bookshelf or floor-standing speakers? Then you'll want the Story as your all-important center channel. This speaker delivers crystal-clear dialogue and engaging center-stage sound effects — all while looking great in the front of your room.
Voice-matched drivers for seamless sound
The Story uses the same 1" anodized aluminum tweeter and woven Kevlar® woofers as you'll find in the other speakers in KLH's home theater lineup. This means you'll enjoy voice-matched sound as the action moves across your room — a key component of believable, immersive sound.
This center channel speaker comes equipped with two pairs of speaker inputs for bi-amping or bi-wiring. It also carries the same 10-year warranty as its bookshelf and floor-standing brethren for long-term peace of mind.
The KLH name lives on
Henry Kloss and his partners founded KLH in Cambridge, Massachusetts back in the '50s. Kloss changed the audio industry with innovations like the acoustic suspension loudspeaker, the first-ever full-range electrostatic speaker, and the first high-selectivity table radio.
Today, KLH is headquartered in Noblesville, Indiana. The company's new speaker lineup represents a fresh take on that rich and varied KLH legacy.
- 1" anodized aluminum tweeter with linear response faceplate
- dual 5-1/4" woven Kevlar® woofers
- frequency response: 48-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: up to 150 watts
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with dual rear-firing ports
- custom-designed crossover for smooth frequency distribution
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- 5-way binding posts accept pins, single or dual banana connectors, spades, or bare wire
- beautiful black oak veneer finish
- removable magnetic grille with custom honeycomb design
- 19"W x 7"H x 9-1/4"D
- weight: 16 lbs.
- warranty: 10 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 2 Foam ports
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Frequency Response||48-23k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||10 Years|
|Labor Warranty||10 Years|
Two-Way Center-Channel Loudspeaker: The KLH Story is a two-way center-channel loudspeaker featuring a high performance 1" Anodized Aluminum tweeter with a linear response faceplate and two 5.25" Woven Kevlar mid/bass drivers with butyl rubber surrounds and powder-coated die-cast aluminum baskets. There are braided tinsel leads on all drivers. A custom multi-element crossover with high grade components ensures smooth and natural transition between drivers.
Bass Reflex Design: The KLH Story center-channel loudspeaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with two rear-firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. If you are placing the center-channel speaker 6" or closer to a wall, bass output can be controlled by reducing the amount of air flow from the rear ports. You can "tune" the bass output by using the two foam ports included with the speaker.
MDF Enclosure: The speaker enclosure features MDF construction with custom designed internal low resonance driver chambers and bracing optimized through finite element analysis. The enclosure also has a brushed aluminum tweeter faceplate and driver fascia. The MDF enclosure is finished in a black oak real wood veneer.
Dual Binding Post Terminals: The KLH Story center-channel loudspeaker has two sets of nickel-plated binding posts terminals connected by jumpers (fasteners). The binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). A plastic cap must be removed from each binding post terminal to use banana plugs. Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency driver; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency driver).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Application: The KLH Story is designed to be used as a center-channel loudspeaker in a home theater application. The Story is timbre matched to all KLH loudspeakers, so you'll get the perfect match between left-center-right for the complete home theater experience. It features the same quality drivers, tweeter, and components used throughout the KLH line.
- Placement Options: The placement of your center-channel is very important in regard to home theater usage. The center-channel produces most of the dialog, and 60% of the total sound in a home theater application. It is recommended that the center channel speaker be placed below the TV or projector screen. When the center channel is positioned below ear level, it should be angled upward.
- Mounting options: The center-channel speaker can be placed on your TV stand, dedicated center-channel stand, or shelf. The included self-adhesive rubber feet add approximately 0.25" to the overall height of the speaker. There are no included brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded-inserts to mount to the speaker on a wall.
Magnetic Grille: A magnetic grille featuring a custom honeycomb design, acoustic cloth, and no visible fasteners provides a flawless appearance.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.