Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000
Professional large-format inkjet photo printer
Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 - A bold red line, like that found on world-renowned Canon L Series lenses, distinguishes the PRO-1000
Item # 280PRO1K | MFR # 0608C002AA
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Create huge, high-quality prints
Turn your favorite digital images into brilliant, 17" x 22" gallery-ready prints in just moments with Canon's imagePROGRAF PRO-1000. This pro-quality photo printer delivers rich, natural colors, deep, intense black levels, and smooth, accurate grayscales to match your creative vision. It's like having your very own professional photo lab.
Advanced printing features
The PRO-1000's print head is 50% larger than previous models, and it features more nozzles to provide faster print speeds while maintaining high-resolution results. A newly developed LUCIA PRO ink system lets you create stunning prints with an expanded range of colors. Canon includes 12 large capacity 80ml tanks with the PRO-1000. Each holds more ink than conventional tanks, so you can spend more time printing and less time swapping cartridges. And unlike most consumer inkjet printers that use dye-based inks, the special pigment inks used by the PRO-1000 produce longer-lasting prints with exceptionally smooth gradations of color. Matte black, photo black, and two separate gray ink cartridges deliver rich grayscale and monochrome prints for beautiful black and white photography.
The PRO-1000's advanced air feeding and roller system uses a vacuum to grip the paper tightly for more precise loading and ink placement. This system also helps maintain more consistent distance between the print head and paper for greater ink droplet accuracy and improved image quality. A skew correction function ensures that all types of paper, including thick fine art papers, can be fed without the need for reprints.
The Chroma Optimizer difference
Canon gave the PRO-1000 another advantage. Its unique Chroma Optimizer process adds a special coating that enhances the look of your prints. Here's how it works. During the printing process, Chroma Optimizer is applied over the top of the printed image. It then fills in the gaps between ink droplets, smoothing and leveling the surface of the print. This greater surface evenness provides more uniform glossiness, smoother tonal gradations in colors, and improved black density for photos that stand out from the crowd. The Chroma Optimizer layer also reduces the bronzing effect — a phenomenon which creates incorrect colors and adds an unwanted metallic luster due to irregular surface reflections on the print.
- paper sizes: 17" x 22", 14" x 17", 13" x 19", 11" x 14", 10" x 12", 8.5" x 11', 8" x 10", 5" x 7", 4" x 6"
- print resolution (color and B&W): up to 2400 x 1200 dpi
- 11-color pigment-based LUCIA PRO Ink technology with individual, large-capacity (80ml) cartridges
- Chroma Optimizer cartridge applies a special coating on the print surface that enhances black density and provides uniform glossiness
- Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering (FINE) technology and extra-large print head with 18,432 nozzles ensures faster print speeds while maintaining high-resolution
- anti-clogging nozzle technology reduces wasted ink and provides faster print speeds
- L-COA PRO image processing engine enables high-speed processing of image data for faster operation
- 1GB of built-in memory for handling large files with ease
- 3" LCD status screen
- air feed system with vacuum grip ensures consistent print head-to-paper distance for accurate ink placement and improved image quality
- dual paper paths let you load photo paper in the rear tray (up to 0.3mm) or single sheets of thicker (up to 0.7mm) paper through a manual feed slot
- supports wireless printing technologies, including AirPrint, PIXMA Cloud Link, and Wireless PictBridge
- high-speed USB port for connection to a computer
- Ethernet port and built-in Wi-Fi® for printing from a network
- 28-1/2"W x 11-5/16"H x 17-1/4"D
- weight: 70.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 12 PFI-1000 80 ml cartridges: matte black, photo black, cyan, magenta, yellow, photo cyan, photo magenta, gray, photo gray, red, blue, chroma optimizer
- setup software and user's guide CD-ROM (Windows® and Mac®)
- user replaceable MC-20 maintenance cartridge
- AC power cord
What's in the Box:
- Canon PRO-1000 Inkjet printer
- 62" Power Cord (non-polarized C7 plug)
- MC-20 Maintenance Cartridge (installed in rear of printer)
- Print Head
- PFI-1000 Matte Black ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Photo Black ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Cyan ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Magenta ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Yellow ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Photo Cyan ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Photo Magenta ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Gray ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Photo Gray ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Red ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Blue ink tank (80 ml)
- PFI-1000 Chroma Optimizer ink tank (80 ml)
- Sample 8.5" x 11" sheets of MP-101 matte photo paper (for print head alignment)
- 5 Sheets Photo Paper Pro Luster LU-101 (8.5" x 11")
- Getting Started 1 booklet
- Getting Started 2 booklet
- Important Notice Sheet (regarding the print head)
- Safety and Important Information
- Setup Software CD-ROM
- Registration Card
- Warranty Card
- Notice (concerning ink tanks)
Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000 is the new flagship in the Pro Series of professional inkjet printers. The Pro-1000 is capable of making exceptional-quality prints on paper from 4"x6" to 17"x22". It has 12 individual ink tanks and a 1.28" wide print head for improved print speeds.
Lucia Pro Ink System: The Pro-1000 printer features the Lucia Pro ink system, with 11 pigment-based colors plus Chroma Optimizer, for rich color reproduction. Each ink tank is 80ml in volume (about 2.7 ounces). The following inks are included with the printer:
- PFI-1000(B): Blue
- PFI-1000(C): Cyan
- PFI-1000(PC): Photo Cyan
- PFI-1000(GY): Gray
- PFI-1000(PGY): Photo Gray
- PFI-1000(M): Magenta
- PFI-1000(PM): Photo Magenta
- PFI-1000(MBK): Matte Black
- PFI-1000(PBK): Photo Black
- PFI-1000(R): Red
- PFI-1000(Y): Yellow
- PFI-1000(CO): Chroma Optimizer
FINE Print Head: The printer is equipped with a large FINE (Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering) print head with a tubular ink delivery system, which helps prevent clogging and improves print speeds. In addition, sensors in the head are constantly monitoring performance, and when a clogged nozzle is detected, another one automatically provides backup. This prevents wasted prints due to unwanted white lines in solid areas of the print, and extends the time between nozzle cleanings. The 1.28" wide print head produces a printing area that's 50% larger than most print heads, dramatically improving printing speed. Each of the 12 ink tanks has 1,536 nozzles for a total of 18,432 nozzles. The printer is capable of producing color and black & white prints with a resolution of up to 2400 x 1200 dpi (dots per inch).
Print Sizes: The Pro-1000 can make various sizes of bordered or borderless photos. It can print 4"x6", 5"x7", 8"x10", 8.5"x11" (letter), 10"x12", 11"x14" (legal), 13"x19", and 14"x17", and 17"x22" sized photos. It can also print letter and legal sized documents.
Print Speed: The printer can produce a 17"x22" bordered color photo in approximately 4 minutes 10 seconds. A 13''x19" color photo can be printed in approximately 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Test were conducted using LU-101 Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster.
Paper Type: The Pro-1000 printer is compatible with many varieties of Canon photo and fine art paper. In addition, you can use papers from numerous non-Canon brands. Plain paper, including recycled paper, from 17 lb to 28 lb can be used as well. The Canon paper recommended for the Pro-1000 include:
- Photo Paper Plus Glossy II (PP-201)
- Photo Paper Pro Platinum (PT-101)
- Photo Paper Pro Luster (LU-101)
- Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (SG-201)
- Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte (PM-101)
- Matte Photo Paper (MP-101)
Air Feeding System: The Canon Pro-1000's Air Feeding System directs air through a series of openings on top of the platen to vacuum-grip the paper as it travels through the printer. The air helps maintain a consistent height between the print head and the media being used, keeping each page from skewing. The consistently level printing surface delivers accurate ink placement, consistent margins, and improved image quality.
Dual Paper Path: The Pro-1000 has two paper sources. The rear tray allows you to load up to 150 sheets of plain paper. When using photo paper, the capacity varies depending upon the type of paper and its size. Single sheets or particularly thick paper (up to 107 lb) between 8"x10" and 17"x22" can be fed from the Manual Feed tray. The paper output tray can hold approximately 50 sheets (20 sheets of A2).
Built-in Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connectivity: The Pro-1000 has built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and an RJ-45 Ethernet port to allow you to place the printer where it's convenient, especially when there isn't room near your computer. Wireless communication distance is up to 164 feet (50 meters) indoors. Multiple users can print from several computers, either wirelessly or networked together.
USB Connectivity: The printer has a Type B Hi-Speed USB port for connecting your computer to the printer.
iOS/Android Wireless Connectivity: You can print wirelessly from an iOS or Android device through the free Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app. The Pro-1000 is compatible with iPad, iPhone 3GS or later, and iPod touch 3rd generation or later, running iOS 7.0 or later, and Android mobile devices running Android 2.3.3 or later. The app is available from the Apple App Store or from Google Play.
Apple AirPrint: The printer is compatible with Apple AirPrint, which enables you to print photos, email, Web pages, and documents directly from your Apple device to the printer without installing a driver. Functionality requires an iPad, iPhone 3GS or later or iPod touch 3rd generation or later device running iOS 4.2 or later, and an AirPrint-enabled printer connected to the same network as the iOS device.
PictBridge Wireless Printing: You can wirelessly connect the printer to a digital camera that supports PictBridge DPS over IP, regardless of the brand. Wireless printing requires both the camera and printer to connect to a working network (802.11 b/g/n).
Operating System Compatibility: The Canon Pro-1000 printer is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1/Windows 8
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Mac OS X v10.7.5 - OS X v10.10
Software: Software designed to optimize the setup of the Pro-1000 printer is included on the supplied CD-ROM. Other software is available for download from the Canon website, including:
- imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Driver
- Print Studio Pro: Print Studio Pro is a plug-in that makes professional photo printing easier and more convenient. You can print bordered and borderless photos, and perform various printing tasks such as index printing, black and white printing, adjust margins, or add text.
- My Image Garden: My Image Garden is an application that allows you to utilize photos taken with digital cameras and other images saved on your computer in many ways, and for various purposes. You can organize you photos, print disc labels and personal items, capture and print still images from videos, and correct/enhance photos.
- Digital Photo Printing Guide: A basic guide to printing digital photos, including color management basics.
- Quick Utility Toolbox: Quick Utility Toolbox is a shortcut menu to easily start the functions you want to use, including setting up the printer.
- Media Configuration Tool: The Media Configuration Tool enables you to obtain high quality print results by utilizing the optimal printer settings that have been consolidated into a media information file for each type of paper. The media files are provided for genuine Canon paper only.
- Device Management Console: The Device Management Console allows you to check the status of the printer connected by a network or USB, and to perform color calibration for a selected printer.
- Accounting Manager: Canon's Accounting Manager software allows you to accurately track the cost of printing, including the amount of media and ink used for each individual job. You can also export the data to Microsoft Excel to keep track of usage and costs long term.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
top of the line [ John Nov 08, 2017 ]
need a replacement for my Epson R-3000. The Canon consistently has better reviews than the comparable Epson P-800 [ Kevin Sep 28, 2017 ]
I have had experience with both Canon and Epson printers. While both companies turn out excellent printers, I like not having to swap out black ink. Besides that, the canon printers that I have used have consistently produced excellent images. I have not used this particular printer, and will provide a note on it once I have had a chance to see the output. [ john Apr 30, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
It can vary based on several factors. Canon's Accounting Manager software allows you to accurately track the cost of printing, including the amount of media and ink used for each individual job. You can also export the data to Microsoft Excel to keep track of usage and costs long term. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jun 02, 2018 ] Staff