MAX-STREAM™ AC2200 tri-band Wi-Fi® router
Our take on the Linksys EA8300 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Linksys EA8300 offers super-fast wired and wireless connections.
Plenty of fast Wi-Fi to go around
The Linksys EA8300 router offers powerful, consistent Wi-Fi coverage for households with multiple online devices. Your family can stream 4K movies, play online games, and browse the internet simultaneously, and glitch-free.
The router uses advanced MU-MIMO (multi-user, multiple-input, multiple-output) technology and a quad-core processor to keep data flowing smoothly, even when everyone in the house is using their wireless devices. You'll have three dedicated bands of fast Wi-Fi for work and play.
Use beamforming to "aim" stronger Wi-Fi where it's needed most, and even assign priority to certain devices — like your 4K TV — to ensure a smooth viewing experience.
Easy app setup and control
The free Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app helps you set up, monitor, and control your new router. You'll have access to some very useful advanced features:
- parental controls let you restrict access, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the internet
- prioritize devices that need the most speed
- create a separate, password-protected Wi-Fi network for guests
You'll be able to customize your network, so it does what you want, all the time.
It's easy to forget about the advantages of making direct connections to your router. The EA8300 provides LAN ports so you can directly connect devices like desktop computers or home automation control hubs, taking some strain off of your wireless coverage, and ensuring top speed through the wired connection. There's a super-fast USB 3.0 port on the back, so you can view content from an external drive.
- 802.11ac simultaneous tri-band 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi (400 Mbps + 867 Mbps + 867 Mbps)
- four high-powered radio amplifiers with external antennas broadcast strong Wi-Fi signal
- super-fast 716 MHz quad-core processor
- MU-MIMO technology lets router communicate with multiple devices simultaneously
- Airtime Fairness prevents network lag when slower devices connect
- works with Amazon Echo (Alexa)
- Memory: 256MB RAM, 256MB Flash
- beamforming technology directs wireless signal where it's needed most
- free Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app offers smart control of your network:
- offers app-based setup and monitoring of your router
- create a separate, password-protected Wi-Fi network for guests
- parental controls let you restrict access, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the internet.
- prioritize devices that need the most speed
- browser-based installation makes setup easy using a tablet, smartphone, or computer
- includes AC power adapter, Ethernet cable and quick start guide
- security: WPA/WPA2 and 128-bit AES encryption
- one WAN input for connecting to your modem
- four 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports for making wired connections to your devices
- one fast USB 3.0 port to wirelessly access and share USB hard drives and printers
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 8-7/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 6-3/8"D (without antennas)
- weight: 21.44 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- WiFi router
- AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord)
- 3' Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Regulatory and Warranty Information
- "Thank You" card
I had 100 meg internet fiber installed and needed a new WyFi router to get full advantage. I measured 102 meg upload and download speeds at my computer and all devices in my home were well covered, I was extremely pleased with the results.
William, Chattanooga, TN
Linksys EA8300 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Max-Stream EA830 WiFi Router: The Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi Router offers ample bandwidth for simultaneous 4K and HD video streaming, next-gen online gaming, and other data-heavy online activities. The router's three dedicated bands help minimize lag even when multiple devices (up to 15+) are connected.
716MHz Quad-Core Processor: The Linksys EA8300 utilizes a 716MHz Quad-Core Processor for extremely fast data transfer speeds.
4 Adjustable Antennas: The EA8300 wireless router features four external adjustable antennas (non-detachable) that provide four powerful streams of data to your devices - ensuring optimal performance & complete coverage of your home. It is recommended to position the antennas all straight up. The two antennas on the left of the Linksys EA8300 are dual-band antennas.
Tri-Band WiFi: The Max-Stream EA8300 offers three independent WiFi bands that deliver extremely fast combined speeds of up to 2.2 Gbps. Tri-Band technology delivers up to double the Wireless-AC performance of a dual-band router. High-bandwidth applications like videoconferencing and movie streaming are ideal for the two high-speed 5GHz bands, while lower-bandwidth devices like older wireless-N and -G computers can utilize the 2.4 GHz band.
- Band 1 (2.4GHz): Optimal speeds up to 400 Mbps for older Wireless-N & G devices.
- Band 2 (5GHz): Faster speeds up to 867 Mbps for newer Wireless-AC devices (great for file transfers & video conferencing)
- Band 3 (5GHz): Fastest speeds up to 867 Mbps for newer Wireless-AC devices (perfect for 4K or HD TV streaming & online gaming).
2x2 Wireless-AC: 4x4 Wireless-AC delivers two streams of data simultaneously per band. AC WiFi delivers exceptional speed and performance, and is 3x faster than Wireless-N. The Linksys EA8300 router supports the following WiFi standards - 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac.
Smart Connect: Smart Connect allows the router to have the capacity, flexibility and intelligence to assign a 5GHz client to one of the two wireless radios on the 5GHz WiFi band for higher performance. The router will "steer" devices to the optimum band, effectively telling wireless devices to disconnect and reconnect to the other radio within the 5GHz band.
Note: Smart Connect is not supported on a Guest network.
Advanced WiFi Technologies: The Linksys Max-Stream EA8300 WiFi Router incorporates advanced WiFi technologies like MU-MIMO, Beamforming, Airtime Fairness, & Seamless Roaming.
- MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output): The Linksys Max-Stream EA8300 WiFi Router features Next-Gen AC WiFi with MU-MIMO technology, the latest advancement towards uninterrupted, simultaneous WiFi connections. Devices such as 4K TVs, HD streaming media players, tablets, game consoles, and many more use a lot of bandwidth, and with MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) technology, the Max-Stream EA8300 WiFi router sends WiFi to multiple devices at the same time and same speed. Your whole family can play, stream, and work at once, without experiencing lag or buffering--at up to 2x the speed of a non-MU-MIMO router.
- Beamforming: The Linksys EA8300 has Beamforming technology on both bands which helps improve the quality of voice, streaming of video and other bandwidth and latency sensitive transmissions. Direct WiFi signals to each of your mobile devices to increase signal strength and coverage. Play video games, listen to music, check emails, shop online, stream HD movies, and more, without having to worry about dropped signals.
- Airtime Fairness: Improve your overall home Wi-Fi efficiency with the EA8300 thanks to Airtime Fairness, a feature that ensures even, fair distribution of WiFi to different devices. This helps to reduce the lag associated with slower WiFi devices.
- Seamless Roaming (requires optional Linksys Range Extender): To enable Seamless Roaming, pair this Max-Stream Router with a Max-Stream Range Extender (such as the Linksys RE7000, sold separately). The intuitive technology lets you move freely in and outside of your home without dropping a WiFi signal.
Simple Setup: Setting up the Linksys EA8300 is made fast and easy because of its CD-less setup. Enter http://LinksysSmartWiFi.com in a web browser. You can run the setup from a web browser even if the router initially does not have Internet connection or is on factory settings. The default IP Address for this router is 192.168.1.1, and the default router password is admin. The default SSID and passphrase of the Linksys EA8300 are printed on the product label underneath the device. At the end of the setup you can mange the following router settings -
- Change the router's name & password
- Setup a Guest network and Guest access
- Configure parental controls
- Connect devices to the WiFi router and your wireless network
- Test your Internet connection speed
Note: Certified Operating Systems include Mac OSX (10.5.8 or higher) and Windows 7/8/8.1/10. Supported Internet browsers include - Latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox 8, Safari 5 (for Mac and iPad), Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer version 8 or newer.
Linksys App: With the Linksys App for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can closely monitor and manage your home WiFi remotely using your smartphone or tablet. With the Linksys App, you can access your home network from anywhere, any time. Easily tap into your home network to check the connection status of your devices, set up WiFi access for guests, or restrict your kids from accessing social networking sites when they should be doing homework. You can even prioritize which devices on your network get priority bandwidth to reduce lag times and buffering. You no longer have to be tethered to your desk at home to manage your home network.
- Remote Access: Access and manage your network from anywhere and quickly view the status of your WiFi network.
- Guest Network: There are two Guest networks that can be set up on the Linksys EA8300; one for each network band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). The default Guest network password is BeMyGuest. The default SSID of each Guest network is the SSID of the main network appended with the -guest suffix. Create a separate, password-protected WiFi network for up to 50 guests and easily share the password. Guests will be removed in First-In, First-Out (FIFO) order once the maximum number of guests is reached.
- Parental Controls: Ensure a safe Internet experience for your kids, even when you're away from home. Restrict access to inappropriate or distracting content, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the Internet.
- Device Prioritization: You can prioritize devices that need the most speed.
Linksys Skill For Alexa: The Linksys Skill for Alexa allows you to ask WiFi information from the Linksys Smart WiFi Router and control the Guest Network. You can ask Alexa for the following information of your Linksys Smart WiFi Router -
- Get WiFi credentials
- Get Guest WiFi credentials
- Turn On/Off Guest Network (also offers to read credentials)
- Enable/Disable Skill
- Help, i.e. " Alexa, ask Linksys what I can do" - and Alexa reads off the above Skills
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The Linksys EA8300 router is outfitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
USB-A 3.0: The Linksys EA8300 has one USB (type-A) 3.0 port that is capable of supporting an external hard disk or flash drive with up to 1100 mA current draw. Share audio, video, photo, and document files on a compatible USB device. You can also connect a USB printer to share your printer on the network.
SPI Firewall & DOS Protection: Linksys SPI Firewall will distinguish legitimate packets for different types of connections. Only packets matching a known active connection are allowed to pass the firewall. DoS attack is an attempt to make a computer or network resource unavailable to its intended users, with Linksys DoS protection, we will block all the possible DoS attack to keep your network running smoothly.
Wireless Encryption: The Linksys EA8300 supports WEP, WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal, and WPA2/WPA Enterprise on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Its provides up to 128-bit encryption. You can even use WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) technology to automatically and securely add wireless devices to your network.
Firmware Updates: You can update the router's firmware automatically or manually. Click here for the latest firmware updates.
AC Power: The Linksys EA8300 router includes an AC power adapter (100-240V ~ 50-60Hz) which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
Mounting Options: The router can simply be placed on a tabletop or desktop. It can also be wall mounted using the integrated keyholes slots (mounting screws not included).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Had 6 five star ratings and Linksys is what I use. [ Barry Jun 12, 2018 ]
Positive reviews, reputation of company (always had good luck with Linksys), latest wifi standard. [ Jerry B. Mar 20, 2018 ]
Features and customer reviews! [ Juan Mar 06, 2018 ]
Looking to update my current Linksys Router. EA8300 has good features and performance for a medium sized home. [ Kevin Feb 22, 2018 ]
Reviews online were great for this product [ Jaime Nov 23, 2017 ]
Recommended [ Timothy Nov 15, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
Yes. This router can be plugged to any network. You also need a cable modem either rented from Comcast or buy your own. [ Ernest Oct 21, 2017 ]
Yes it does. It made wireless 4-5 times faster than my old router. [ Brian Oct 21, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
More robust Wi-Fi coverage with more connections
The Linksys EA9500 offers these features:
802.11ac simultaneous tri-band 2.4 & dual 5GHz Wi-Fi (1000 + 2166 + 2166)
high-powered radio amplifiers with eight adjustable external antennas
one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port to wirelessly access and share USB hard drives and printers