Astell & Kern Kann
Portable high-resolution audio player (Astro Silver)
From Astell & Kern: Kann Portable Hi-Res Music Player
Our take on the Astell & Kern Kann by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
One powerful portable
I spent some time with Astell & Kern's new portable high-res player, the Kann. Its beveled edges felt great in my hand, and the player had a nice heft to it. Most important, though, was the way music sounded through it. On that score, the Kann delivered beautifully — especially with high-resolution tracks.
Exceptional sound quality
The Kann features a high-performance DAC capable of decoding high-res PCM-based files up to 32-bit/384kHz. It'll also play any DSD files you send its way. You can play high-resolution downloads from sites like HDtracks or TIDAL on the Kann without any down conversion. The Kann even helps lossy MP3s sound their best.
Its high signal-to-noise ratio and low distortion let subtle details come through. High-fidelity, low-impedance output gives your headphones more power than most portable music players, for optimal performance. There's even a high-gain switch for use with demanding headphones.
Touchscreen and simple controls
The player's color touchscreen is simple to navigate. It displays artist and title info as well as album artwork. The Kann features a side-mounted analog volume control, allowing fine, nuanced adjustments.
The Kann has a 64GB internal memory, which you can easily supplement. The player features an SD card slot for cards up to 512GB, plus a microSD card slot for cards up to 256GB. It's possible to hold up to 832GB of music files in your hand.
- digital music player — plays MP3, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AAC, AIFF, and WMA files
- native playback for DSD files (up to DSD256, or 11.2MHz)
- 32-bit/384kHz DAC for bit-perfect playback of high-resolution audio files
- built-in headphone amp with normal/high-gain switch for driving even the most demanding headphones
- USB input allows for use as an external digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with a computer
- 64GB internal flash memory
- SD card slot for cards up to 512GB
- microSD card slot for cards up to 256GB
- 4" color touchscreen
- analog volume wheel provides fine level adjustments
- 3.5mm unbalanced headphone/optical output for connection to headphones, receiver/amp, or an external DAC
- 2.5mm balanced, 4-pole output for connection to compatible headphones
- Bluetooth® with aptX HD audio coding for high-fidelity streaming to compatible headphones and speakers
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 15 hours of playback
- high-speed USB interface (cable included) for drag-and-drop file transfer and battery charging
- USB output
- extruded aluminum body
- 2-13/16"W x 4-5/8"H x 1"D
- weight: 0.61 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Portable digital music player
- 39" USB-C to USB cable
- 2 Protective films
- microSD card slot cover
- SD card slot cover
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
John, Seattle, WA
Astell & Kern Kann Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
High-Resolution Digital Music Player: Astell & Kern's experience with technology and portable devices makes it possible for the KANN to offer dynamic power and performance. KANN is the complete all-around portable high-resolution digital music player with powerful output and studio quality sound. In addition to a high-resolution digital music player, the Astell & Kern KANN can be used an external USB DAC.
AK4490 Single DAC: The Astell & Kern KANN is equipped with a AK4490 Single DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for 32-bit/382kHz PCM audio playback and native DSD playback up to 11.2mHz.
Femto Clock: The Astell & Kern KANN uses a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) high-precision clock with a reference jitter value of 200 femtoseconds. Femto clocks are typically used in high-end audio components. The clock is measured in femtosecond units (one quadrillionth of a second -- or 1/1000 trillion) which allows the device to create a more accurate frequency value and make fine jitter corrections. Typical clock jitter in the KANN is measured at 30 picoseconds (or 30/1-trillionth).
Built-in Memory + External Storage: The KANN has a built-in 64GB internal flash memory for downloading and storing you digital music files. You can also insert a microSD card (up to 256GB) and full-size SD card (up to 512GB) in the memory card slots on the bottom of the device for additional storage capacity (up to 768GB), for a total maximum storage capacity of 832GB. The memory cards should be formatted in FAT32.
Media File Transfer: You can download digital music files from your Windows PC or Mac computer to the Astell & Kern KANN through its USB-C USB port and the included USB-C to USB cable.
- Supported Audio Formats: The KANN is capable of download and playback of high resolution digital music files up to 32-bit/382kHz; including FLAC, WAV, ALAC, and AIFF. It also supports playback of DSD music files up to 11.2mHz. In addition, the KANN will support highly compressed music files such as MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, and APE.
- Computer Requirements: The KANN is compatible with Windows 7, 8, or 10 (32-bit or 64-bit versions of each). It also support Mac OS X 10.7 and up. Mac users need to download and install the MTP program from the Astell&Kern website.
USB DAC: The USB DAC functionality allows the KANN to be recognized as a sound card on a computer. The KANN's micro-B USB port is connected to a free USB port on your Windows PC or Mac computer (cable not included); the music from your computer is then played through the KANN's earphones port for an enhanced listening experience. This USB DAC connection bypasses the inferior soundcard of your computer or laptop and uses the KANN as the USB DAC for better sound quality. It supports playback of PCM (8-384kHz; 8/16/24/32-bit) and DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2MHz) high resolution music files, providing much richer sound through superior ambience and resolution way beyond the limits of the embedded soundcard of your computer.
- Computer Requirements: Compatible with Windows PC and
- Windows PC: XP (32/64-bit), 7 (32/64-bit), 8 (32/64-bit), and 10 (32/64-bit)
- Mac OS: OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later
- Supported Music Files:
- PCM: sampling rate of 8-384kHz; bit depth of 8, 16, 24, or 32-bit
- DSD: sampling rate of 2.8, 5.6, 11.2MHz; bit depth of 1-bit
Notes: When using the KANN as a USB DAC, its PEQ settings are not applied.
Balanced & Unbalanced Output: The Astell & Kern KANN is outfitted with a 2.5mm balanced headphone output (L+/L-/R+/R-) and a 3.5mm unbalanced headphone output (L+/R+/GND) for connection with a variety of headphones.
- 2.5mm Balanced Jack: The KANN features a 2.5-mm/4-pole balanced output for connection with compatible balanced earphones & headphones. This type of connection requires that you connect your compatible headphones to both the unbalanced port (ground) and balanced audio port (L/R) of the KANN. Unlike the unbalanced type, the balanced output type is capable of removing noise (common mode noise) that can occur in "signal + inverting amplifier signal" and has the strength of increasing output due to its double transmitting signals.
- 3.5mm Unbalanced Jack: The KANN also features a 3.5-mm/3-pole unbalanced output that offers compatibility with a variety of HiFi earphones and headphones. The 3.5mm headphone jack doubles as an mini optical digital output with a fixed volume level.
Built-In WiFi: The KANN features built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) which allows you to connect to your home's WiFi network wirelessly with support for AK Connect & DLNA.
- AK Connect: The KANN comes equipped with the AK Connect feature that can be connected with network-ready Astell & Kern devices and speakers (sold separately). It will wirelessly output its sound through Astell & Kern speakers (sold separately).
- DLNA Compliant: It is also appointed with wireless networking DLNA (Ver. 1.0), which makes it easy to work with NAS/PC on the same network and through an AK Connect app on your Apple iOS 7.1+ or Android OS 3.0 device. The KANN can access and play back music files stored on a computer on the same wireless network.
Note: Firmware/software updates are done over the KANN's WiFi network connection.
Bluetooth Transmitter: The KANN has built-in Bluetooth 4.0 for connecting a Bluetooth speaker, headphone, or receiver so you can listen to your digital music files wirelessly. In addition to support for the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the KANN offers support for aptX allowing CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) wireless audio playback for Bluetooth speakers, headphones, and receivers that also support aptX.
Note: DSD playback is not available via Bluetooth, and performance may be limited for high-res playback; 48 kHz or lower resolution is recommended). Car audio Bluetooth connections are not supported.
USB Audio Out: The KANN can be connected to the USB audio input of an AV receiver or integrated amplifier using an OTG cable (sold separately). The KANN can output PCM music files to your receiver or amp. It can also transfer DSD in native through DoP, or convert DSD into PCM for output to amplifiers that do not support DoP.
User Interface: The Astell & Kern KANN features a high-quality user interface to make it easy to find and select your music files, change the volume, and adjust the sound:
- 4" LCD Touchscreen: The full-color 4" LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 480 x 800 pixels. The screen displays the title and artist of the currently playing song, along with elapsed and remaining time, with the album art in the background. You can make adjustments to the EQ, set the repeat and random modes, and add the song to a playlist, all using the touchscreen interface.
- Rotary Wheel: The KANN has a side-mounted rotary wheel for volume control.
- Hardware Control Buttons: There are five physical buttons on the player (four on the front-panel and one on the top). The top-panel button is for power. The four front-panel buttons include Home/Menu, Play/Pause, Skip Forward, and Skip Backward.
20-band Parametric EQ: The KANN features a parametric EQ and an audio DSP to allow you to make detailed adjustments in the original sound to suit your tastes. The DSP takes the existing 10-band graphic equalizer found in the KANN with ±0.5dB adjustments and upgrades it to a 20-band EQ with ±0.1dB adjustments, plus variable gain and Q values. You can set the EQ curve by simply "drawing" the curve on the touchscreen. The EQ frequency bands include: 30Hz, 45Hz, 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, 180Hz, 250Hz, 380Hz, 500Hz, 750Hz, 1kHz, 1.5kHz, 2kHz, 3kHz, 4kHz, 6kHz, 8kHz, 12kHz, 14kHz, and 18kHz. You can adjust the gain from -5dB to +5dB in 0.1dB increments, and the Q from 0.1 to 4.0dB in 0.1dB increments. If you choose not to activate the Parametric EQ, you can use the Pro EQ presets recommended by professionals.
Gapless Playback: Gapless Playback allows you to play the next song without any interruptions or silence. Gapless playback is only supported between two audio files with identical bit rates, sample rates, and channels.
Power Requirements: The KANN is equipped with a rechargeable Lithium-Polymer battery (6200mAh/3.7V). The battery charges via USB in about 8 hours using a USB port on your computer or about 4 hours using a USB/AC power adapter (sold separately). A 39" USB-C to USB cable is included to connect the player to your charging device. A fully charged battery can provide up to approximately 15 hours of continuous playback time.
Note: The maximum 15-hour continuous play is based on 16-bit/44 kHz, FLAC file format, screen off, 50% of volume, and Normal playback.
Extruded Aluminum Construction: The design of the KANN stands apart from Astell&Kern's other product lines. During assembly, the parts are slid into the aluminum extruded body, and the unique, no-joint design delivers a durable yet sleek appearance. A protective film is included to protect the LCD touchscreen.
Optional CD Ripper (Sold Separately): The KANN can be expanded to a variety of devices through the Micro-B USB and balanced audio out ports located at the bottom of the player. It can be connected to Astell & Kern's CD-RIPPER to conveniently rip audio CD (all devices sold separately).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
To hear hi res files and to replace my ipod touch which does not support hi res files [ Octavio Oct 28, 2018 ]
one of two choices. trying the lower priced item first before moving to higher priced item. Heard good reviews about AK. [ Ian Jul 18, 2018 ]
BECAUSE I HEAR IT HAS INCREDIBLE SOUND AND DETAIL AND ALL THE REVIEWS I READ ARE ALL POSITIVE [ JORDAN B Jan 25, 2018 ]
sound quality [ David Jun 20, 2017 ]
Reviews seem very positive with regards to this device. [ Colin Jun 09, 2017 ]
Astell & Kern have always been rock solid devices. Their amps in their DAPS have way more power than in the Pioneer DAP I currently own. Like the blue color instead of boring black. I have 500gb of music so the fact that the KANN can handle 768gb is fantastic. Also thank you Crutchfield Rewards saved an additional $130. [ Keith Aug 01, 2018 ]
The various reviews I read, and the 60 day return policy. [ A Jun 01, 2018 ]
reviews [ ROBERT Feb 13, 2018 ]
Hi-fidelity player with built-in amplifier. From all the research I did, this is clearly the best device on the market. [ DONALD Oct 25, 2017 ]
4 questions already asked
I have the Kann Eos Blue, but I believe if we turn out the lights it is identical to the Astro Silver. I just plugged the necessary cables into my older Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver and connected the Kann. I had to plug the cable into the Kann headphone jack. From that point on the Kann volume control worked, as did the volume control on the tuner. [ A Aug 21, 2018 ]
If you use the 3.5 mm the volume should still work. If you use the unbalanced output volume remains constant and the Kann volume control is disabled. [ Brian Aug 21, 2018 ]
No. The stereo will not be able to communicate with the player's OS to access the stored content. Even if it could, the stock stereo is not likely to support the higher resolution music files (up to 32-bit/384kHz) you would hopefully have stored on the player's memory. If your stereo offers an auxiliary audio input, you can use the player's 3.5mm audio output for connection and playback through the stereo; you'll just have to control and display the content on the player. This will allow you to utilize the player's much higher quality digital to analog conversion as well. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jan 26, 2018 ] Staff
You can use it without blue tooth. You can connect it by the 3.5 mm output or the 2.5 unbalanced output . I use either of these in my vehicle when using my Kann.This allows me to keep my Bluetooth free for my phone. [ Brian Nov 11, 2017 ]
Yes, you just need a male-to-male headphone connection that you'll plug into your music system's Aux port. [ DONALD Nov 11, 2017 ]
Yes. I run the 2 volt unbalanced into the aux in on my car. [ W Nov 11, 2017 ]
Yes you can, although not quite as slickly as an Ipod. you will need to download the Android file transfer app, which you can find in the online manual for the Kann. The only way it seems to sort is by album or song name, so it will not transfer a "playlist" as you may have it in your Itunes. Hope that helps. All in all I relly like the Kann, the sound quality blows away an Ipod. [ Gordon Scott Apr 20, 2018 ]
I'm very happy with the Kann, but I use it exclusively to play DSD files in my car. I have my dsd files on a separate hard drive that is connected to my music server at home, so I simply copy the albums/tracks that I want over to the Kann or to the micro memory card. I have not tried to copy anything from iTunes. In my experience getting anything out of Itunes is cumpbersome, but there are probably workarounds that can be found with a google search [ Roar Apr 19, 2018 ]