About the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX
Get ready for unprecedented Android™ and iPhone® integration
Get ready for unprecedented Android™ and iPhone® integration
Pioneer's AVIC-8100NEX DVD/navigation receiver brings even more smartphone friendliness to the table. Not only does it boast Apple CarPlay™ compatibility for iPhone users, it also offers Android Auto™, an intuitive platform for using Android smartphones directly through the receiver's interface. On top of that, Pioneer's smorgasbord of entertainment options and road-ready guidance makes this receiver a smart choice for travelers who enjoy great tunes and staying connected as they drive.
Pioneer is the first on the scene to feature Android Auto, which works with a simple one-cable connection between your Android phone and the AVIC-8100NEX. You'll see large icons for many common Android functions and apps on the receiver's screen, accessible via fingertip or voice control. You can pull up Google Maps, your phone's music library, messages, and apps for streaming songs (including Spotify, Pandora, and iHeartRadio) and podcasts without looking at or touching your phone. Android Auto can access your phone's contact info, allowing you to get in touch via hands-free calling or text mesaging. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Your Android smartphone will need OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or newer to take advantage of Android Auto, and you'll also need a compatible microUSB cable such as the Pioneer CD-MU200 cable (or a similar microUSB-to-USB cable) to connect the phone to the receiver.
Apple CarPlay compatibility allows a Lightning™-to-USB connection to provide access to select apps on newer iPhones. Once connected, the receiver shows large, finger-friendly icons for functions such as Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Now Playing, and Podcasts. Some streaming apps — including Pandora — work within the Apple CarPlay interface as well. Drivers can access these functions with a finger touch or through Siri® voice control. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Road-ready 7" display
The AVIC-8100NEX navigation receiver boasts a multi-touch 7" capacitive touchscreen interface, allowing you to control the onscreen action with pinch-to-zoom and other simple finger movements. Forget about using "next" or "back" arrows on the menu — you can flick your way to the next screen or song. And the display is motorized so you can find the perfect angle for interacting from your driving position. If you've got greasy fingers, the included remote control keeps you from leaving prints on the display.
The NEX interface lets you choose musical sources with ease, and you can integrate your smartphone to get the most out of your travel-friendly apps. Like to talk to Siri? You can communicate through this Pioneer without taking your eyes off the road. iPhone and Android smartphone users also get Pioneer's AppRadio mode for in-dash command of several important apps, while Android owners can employ MirrorLink™ technology to navigate a car-friendly version of their phone's display right on the receiver's screen (optional interface cables required for smartphone connections).
AppRadioLIVE for convenient app use
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface that allows you to spend more time looking at the road and less at your receiver. You customize your display to show several sources of information simultaneously, so you can shift from one to another with a touch of your finger.
You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest.
Note: A small number of apps within AppRadio Mode and AppRadioLIVE are currently not compatible with iOS 8 due to stability and display issues.
Whether you're heading across the country or just around town, you can get the most out of your travels with the AVIC-8100NEX's maps of the entire U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. And you'll have nearly 8 million points of interest at your disposal when searching for the next stop. A built-in traffic tuner presents timely reports on congestion along your route in most metropolitan areas.
This Pioneer boasts enhanced junction views and realistic street signs, for added assurance when it's time to make the next turn. Text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual street names at turns, and you'll have the option of choosing a "natural voice" to guide you. This offers a more human-sounding voice to lead the way, but doesn't announce road names. You'll also have 3D representations of landmarks and buildings keeping you oriented in urban areas.
You'll be able to carry on hands-free conversations using the receiver's included external microphone. And it'll work with most phones for wireless streaming audio, thanks to its advanced Hands-Free Profile technology. You'll also get smartphone app control through your devices:
iPhone: With a separate cable, you'll get control of your Aha Radio app through the receiver's touchscreen when connected. App Mode also gives you limited control over other select apps on your iPhone. You can control your iPhone's Pandora app wirelessly with a Bluetooth connection, including station creation.
Android: You'll get control of your smartphone's Pandora (with station creation) and Aha Radio apps through Bluetooth, so no cable needed.
A wealth of connections...
The AVIC-8100NEX sports more ways to check out your media than you can shake a stick at. Its HDMI input opens the receiver up to some of the newest A/V sources around — including Android phones — and the two rear USB inputs and an SD™ card slot are perfect for your digital tunes, including FLAC lossless files.
The high-resolution 7" WVGA screen is perfect for viewing video from DVDs or other sources when you're parked. You can tap into video content on your iPod® or smartphone with the help of the correct cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained. Dual-zone capability lets you enjoy the radio or another audio source up front while your passengers watch their favorite movies in the back.
You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs.
...and sound choices
No matter what you're listening to, you can count on exceptional sound from the AVIC-8100NEX, with its fingertip swipe-enabled 13-band graphic equalizer, plus built-in Auto EQ and Time Alignment for optimized listening. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes to fine-tune the sound to your tastes, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to fill in the missing "gaps" in your compressed music files to restore them to CD-like clarity.
Radio your way
The AVIC-8100NEX features a built-in HD Radio™ tuner which allows you to hear improved fidelity and reception from participating AM/FM stations all over. The receiver also features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
If your vehicle comes with factory add-ons like Ford SYNC®, GM OnStar®, or Chrysler Uconnect™, you don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the AVIC-8100NEX offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
- Ford SYNC systems: you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions;
- GM vehicles: you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar;
- Chrysler: you'll keep all your Uconnect functionality;
- Volkswagen: you'll retain the factory Bluetooth, the factory digital amplifier and fader, plus VW's media device interface.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver with motorized 7" capacitive touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive or SD memory card
- remote control
- Android Auto compatible
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details for model compatibility)
- built-in Android control
- Pandora and Aha Radio control through iPhone and Android
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- free traffic updates in major metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- natural voice guidance
- lane guidance
- 3D representations of select buildings and landmarks
- speed limit warnings
- enhanced street signs and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB drives, and SD cards (see Details for full capabilities)
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- Pioneer MIXTRAX technology creates nonstop mixes and adds effects to digital tracks
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports new Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; SD card slot; 2 composite A/V inputs; dual camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ motorized 6.95" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- Self-adhesive square
- 58" USB-A extension cable
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Warranty Sheet (US/CA)
- "Important Information for the User" booklet
- "CarPlay" notice
- Online Product Registration Card
- "AVICSYNC Support" notice
- "LCD touchscreen" note (taped to screen)
Customer reviews for Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB. SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Screen Type||Swipeable (Capacitive)|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay + Android Auto
AppRadio + MirrorLink
iPod/iPhone Music Playback
AV + OEM Connectivity
Motorized 6.95" Capacitive LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX features a 6.95" (16:9) capacitive LCD touchscreen monitor with a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB); for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The capacitive LCD touchscreen is highly responsive, powerful, and very intuitive for exceptional control. The capacitive touchscreen offers multi-touch gestures like pinch-to-zoom, plus simple swipe & scroll controls; similar to your smartphone's touchscreen interface. From the touchscreen you'll not only be able to control the head unit, but also a paired Bluetooth device, or a connected component such as your iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone. Menus will appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's touchscreen display is motorized; it electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVIC-8100NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Top Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB or SD/SDHC device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has a start-up time of approximately 17.1 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 37.3 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
Pass-Code Security: You can create a 5 to 16 character password that must be entered if the head unit is disconnected from power.
Variable Illumination: The AVIC-8100NEX offers custom illumination for the front-panel controls so you can match your vehicle's interior, plus MIXTRAX Illumination for DJ-style illumination in your vehicle.
- Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
- MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose among twelve patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX includes an IR remote control (CD-R33) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle.
HERE Navigation: The AVIC-8100NEX offers a comprehensive map database from HERE covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations; including 7.9 Million points of interest (POIs). The map database is stored on the head unit's built in 8GB flash memory.
Map Updates: Customers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit's first receipt of an active GPS signal). To update the map database, visit the Naviextras website to download the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer (Windows XP, 7, or 8; not compatible with Mac) and a USB memory stick, formatted to FAT32 with a capacity of at least 8 GB.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-8100NEX accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit has a built-in GPS receiver with a magnetic antenna included. The AVIC-8100NEX also features a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement; this wire should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit.
Real-Time Traffic Updates: Partnering with Clear Channel Broadcasting's Total Traffic Network, the built-in traffic tuner provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including US and Canada. Check your commute route in advance or re-route to your destination to avoid traffic congestion. There is no subscription cost and no annoying on-screen advertisements.
- Road segments affected by traffic incidents are displayed with an alternate color on the map and small symbols above the road show the nature of the incident.
- When traffic information that may affect your route is receive, this system will warn you that it is recalculating the route and navigation will continue with a new route that is optimal considering the most up-to-date traffic conditions.
AVICSYNC App (Future Availability): With Pioneer's free AVICSYNC app and a connected iPhone (4 and newer) or Android smartphone (Galaxy series), users can access connected services that include traffic, local search, weather, gas prices and more, with key information/icons overlaid on the existing map screen information (subscription(s) required). With the AVICSYNC app, users have up-to-date and current information offering the benefits of the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG), where map data that becomes available within 90 days of the first use is updated on the receiver. It also includes highly accurate and the fast live traffic updates (every two minutes) from its High Density (HD) Traffic feature.
On-Screen Map: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways, buildings, and towns. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is indicated by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the AVIC-8100NEX guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The map screen will also indicate the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, distance to your final destination, timed need to reach the final destination, and estimated arrival time are all displayed on-screen. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. 2D View displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, your direction is at the top of the map screen and you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: You can switch between daytime and nighttime color modes or let the head unit's software switch between the two mode automatically a few minutes before sunrise and a few minutes after sunset.
Lane Guidance & Signposts: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with exit service.
- Lane Guidance: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Realistic Signposts: Where additional information is available, realistic signposts & road signs substitute arrows. Replications of actual highway signs are displayed at the top of the map further improving driver orientation and navigation.
- Enhanced Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Realistic signposts & roadsides can also be present, if information is available.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits along major highways and freeways.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Natural Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech w/ Landmarks): In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-8100NEX provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions with landmark identification. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions and identification of landmark. You can adjust the the voice guidance volume independently from the head unit's main volume.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The AVIC-8100NEX provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I? & Destination Search: The Where Am I? screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby. The Destination Search menu offers search tools to find your destination and play your route.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Input your destination address by house number, street, and city (or county).
- POIs: Search over 7.9 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, near your destination, or around a city.
- Favorites (including Home & Work): You can save your favorite addresses and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling. You can also save your Home and Work address in your favorites.
- History & Smart History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggest these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Route Calculation: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours/Alternatives/Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Router Planner + Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Off-Road Navigation: The difference between the on-road and off-road modes is the navigation itself. When you are on the Map screen with an off-road route, your position and heading is not aligned with the nearest road and there is no turn by turn navigation; just a recommended direction. You see a straight line drawn between your current position and the next destination to reach. The Turn Preview field in the top left corner shows an arrow with your bearing and the distance of the next destination.
Bluetooth Technology (Powered by Parrot): The AVIC-8100NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVIC-8100NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit; only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The AVIC-8100NEX supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVIC-8100NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVIC-8100NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVIC-8100NEX, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Preset Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book (ABC search): The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri & Google Voice): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. It also supports Google Voice for select Android smartphones (not compatible with Samsung "S Voice"). You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVIC-8100NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only). The head unit will also display your music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. (app must also support). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
Siri Eyes-Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri (iOS 6.1+) via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for "Siri Eyes-Free" functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Apple CarPlay Compatible: Apple CarPlay is integrated into this Pioneer NEX-series head unit. Apple CarPlay is compatible with Apple iPhone with Lightning-connector (iOS 7.1+). Your iPhone must be connected to the NEX-series head unit via the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Pioneer's CD-IU52 Lightning Cable (sold separately). CarPlay features Siri voice control and is specially designed for driving scenarios. It also works with the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchsrceen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head unit. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying podcasts, music, and radio. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, and Podcasts (more supported Apps coming soon).
Android Auto: The Pioneer NEX receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer); firmware update will be required. Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the NEX receiver's USB-2 port via Pioneer's CD-MU200 cable (130CDMU200, sold separately) or the microUSB-to-USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Learn more at support.google.com/androidauto and to see what phones are compatible. Features of Android Auto include:
- Google Speech Technology: The Pioneer NEX receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google's Speech Technology using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the on-screen "mic" icon to activate Google Speech.
- Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology.
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Pioneer NEX receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Pioneer receiver via Google Play Music You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- The pre-installed firmware on this Pioneer receiver works automatically with the Google Nexus smartphone. Other Android smartphones may work, but you may not be automatically prompted to install/update Android Auto and other required applications. Therefore, manually downloading and installing from the Google Play Store would be required. Pioneer will soon release a firmware which expands compatibility to a greater number of devices, particularly those that were originally manufactured with an earlier version of Android OS installed (such as 4.4 or earlier). For all devices, restarting the phone is recommended both before and after installing the applications (regardless if the Android Auto app installs automatically or manually). Any Android smartphone device that has been rooted may require a manual installation/update procedure.
- If you need a USB extension cable, use Pioneer's CD-MU200 cable (130CDMU200, sold separately). Any other USB extension cable can cause Android Auto to malfunction.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. Access to these online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
USB Extension Cable Note: Only use the included 58" USB extension cable for CarPlay & Android Auto. Do not use a 3rd party USB extension cable.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application via iPhone (5 and newer) and select MHL-enabled Android smartphones. Simply download the application from the Apple App Store or Google Play onto your compatible smartphone device. AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. You will need additional cables based on your type of Apple iOS or Android device (see below):
- Apple iOS Compatibility & Connectivity: Use the Pioneer CD-IH202 HDMI cable / Pioneer CD-IU52 Lightning Cable / Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (all sold separately) to connect your newer iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 7.0+) to the AVIC-8100NEX's rear-panel USB-1 port and HDMI input. Also, requires Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
- Android Compatibility & Connectivity: You will need Pioneer's Android
sold separately) to connect your compatible MHL-enabled Android smartphone
(OS 2.3.3+) to the AVIC-8100NEX's rear-panel USB-2 port and HDMI input.
here for compatible Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy
S3/S4/S5 and Samsung Note II/II/IV also require an additional Samsung
adapter (sold separately).
- The Samsung MHL adapter (EPL-FU10BEBSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II.
- The Samsung HDMI adapter (EPL-3FHUBEGSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note III.
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter (ET-H10FAUWESTA, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note IV.
AppRadio Apps: The AppRadio app for iPhone & Android consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AVIC-8100NEX's LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver. Available apps within AppRadio will depend on your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android) and your region. Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
- AppRadioLive: Now within the AppRadio App mode is
the AppRadioLive App for iPhone with Lightning connector
(iOS 7.0+), plus select MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.2+) smartphones (download this app
at the Apple
App Store or
Google Play). The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your
drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a
single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your
events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface
on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your Apple or Android smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as MotionX-GPS Drive (iPhone only), iGO Primo (iPhone only), Navfree (iPhone only), and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account (iPhone only). Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be utilized within
AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Apple & Google Maps: You can view your iPhone or Android smartphone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device.
- Waze: Waze, for iPhone & Android, is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- MotionX GPS Drive: The Motion X-GPS Drive App (for iPhone) is a complete GPS navigation solution that helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US and Canada). On-screen map data is display on the Pioneer receiver, while operation of this app is done from your iPhone.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX (for iPhone) is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- NavFree GPS Live: NavFree GPS Live (for iPhone) is a free navigation app that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search, live searches via Google and Microsoft Bing, and many other features. Navfree is a completely free navigation app with no additional monthly charges. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone so data connection is not required for navigating.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO Primo app (for iPhone) app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Sygic: The Sygic app (for iPhone) offers high quality TomTom maps stored on your iPhone together with a robust set of navigation features to help you drive with confidence.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps, AppRadio offers
Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication, and vehicle
diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- DashCommand: DashCommand (for iPhone & Android) utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. Optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile (for iPhone & Android) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! (for iPhone) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia (for iPhone) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights.
- Glympse: Glympse (for Android) is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and
from various online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees
may apply for some applications.
- CarMediaPlayer: The CarMediaPlay app (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your Android device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer.
- Aupeo!: The Aupeo! music app (for iPhone & Android) offers more than 120 Internet radio stations. Users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the head unit's touchscreen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app (for iPhone & Android) app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary Mixtrax app (for iPhone & Android) analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- 7digital: The 7digital app (for Android) is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks in store, you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of this Pioneer navigation receiver.
- Rdio: The Rdio app (for iPhone) gives you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist,/Album/Song information, as well as Album art.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app (for iPhone) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app (for iPhone) allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Stezza app (for iPhone) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- MyPV: The MyPV app (for iPhone) uses an up-to-date music video ranking system from eight countries across the world, so you can select your favorite promotional videos and create playlists. You can put videos registered on your playlists on continuous playback. Because you can also register search results from YouTube for playlists, you can easily create lists using your favorite videos. You can also repeat and loop videos registered on your playlists.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone or Android phone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone or Android device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app (for iPhone) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app (for iPhone) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (for iPhone) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar app (for iPhone) is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
- Voice Directory: The Voice Directory app (for Android) is a hands-free app that uses voice to search Yellow Pages' business listings in the US and call the phone number directly. Use voice to search for a business near you or by city and state, to search by business name or business type, or to call the business directly.
- CarKeyboard: The CarKeyboard app (for Android) allows you to input text directly from the 6.95" touchscreen display of the Pioneer head unit. CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
- Maxthon for Pioneer: The Maxthon Mobile Web Browser app (for Android) is packed with cool features completely free with no ads.
MirrorLink: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX supports MirrorLink, an in-vehicle connectivity solution created by the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC). MirrorLink is integrated into the AVIC-8100NEX and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony, Nokia, and HTC (click here for a full list of compatible MirrorLink mobile phones). MirrorLink gives you a custom interface so you can access your music, map services, and your phone to make hands-free calls on-the-go. The Pioneer CD-MU200 MirrorLink Cable (130CDMU200, sold separately) is required to connect your MirrorLink-compatible smartphone (like the Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Note 4/Edge, Sony Xperia Z, or HTC One M8). This cable plugs into the AVIC-8100NEX's USB-2 port. MirrorLink lets you quickly access specific apps for music playback, car navigation and maps, as well as hands-free telephone communication directly from the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX's touchscreen. Click here for compatible apps.
iPod Music Playback w/ DAC Bypass: If you don't desire CarPlay, AppRadio, or AppRadioLive, the Pioneer AVH-8100NEX also supports music only playback from your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone device through the receiver's USB-1 port. The AVH-8100NEX will playback stored music and music apps on your compatible iPod/iPhone device, provide touchscreen control, and song/artist information. Your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 96dB.
- Lightning Dock Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, use Pioneer's CD-IU52 Lightning-to-USB cable or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your Apple device to the AVH-8100NEX's USB-1 port. .
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin connector, use Dock-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your Apple device to the AVH-8100NEX's USB-1 port.
Music Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Radio, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but newer Apple devices (iOS 6.0+) will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen and access apps.
Song/Artist Info & Album Art: In Head Unit control mode the Pioneer receiver supports song/artist information and album art. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-8100NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/9/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||AppRadio |
|Song/Artist||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone/Android): The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX allows you to access Pandora online music service, as well as Aha Radio social network service through your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (2.2+). Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the AVIC-8100NEX via the appropriate Pioneer iPod connector cable (CD-IU52 / CD-IU201V / CD-IU201S) or the connector-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone (2.2+). The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your Station or Genre List and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- Aha Radio: Aha Radio provides you with up to the minute content made available from the convenience of Pioneer's touchscreen interface. Listen to the latest Facebook updates or Tweets from your friends. Listen to thousands of stations that include internet radio, podcasts, and audiobooks. Receive traffic information, restaurants, and coffee locations personalized to you instantly, safely, and easily. Compatible with USB-connected Apple iOS (7.0+) devices, as well as paired Android (2.2+) devices that support the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP). Simply download the free Aha Radio app to your iPhone or Android device (from iTunes Apps or Google Play) and connect to the AVIC-8100NEX to control your own personalized entertainment experience.
SiriusXM Ready: The Pioneer navigation receiver is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, both sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the head unit and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 175 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features include:
- Channel/Category Lists + Category Scan: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels, while the Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time.
- Song/Artist Information + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on screen.
- Presets + Instant Replay: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your preset music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SiriusXM preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Compatible Discs: The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The AVIC-8100NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music, video, and photo files.
- Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVIC-8100NEX.
- Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect USB Mass Storage Class (MSC), such as older Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
SD Card Slot: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC, SD/SDHC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
|MP3: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 192kHz sampling rates
|Video||DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution; 4GB max file size |
MPEG-1/2/4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 4GB max file size
|MPEG-1/2/4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 4GB max file size |
H.264: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
WMV: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB & SD/SDHC): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB & SD/SDHC memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVIC-8100NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
HDMI Input: In addition to AppRadio mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, Disc, AV-IN, USB, iPod, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including HDMI) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Rear-View Camera Input: The AVIC-8100NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC6, sold separately). When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds. Additional rear-view camera features include:
- Parking Assist Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle.
- Trailer Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
- Second Camera: In addition, you can turn the unit's AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately).
OEM Integration (via Firmware Update): The Pioneer in-dash receiver is now compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module. When the Pioneer receiver is installed into a compatible GM, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, or VW vehicle using the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately) you'll get to keep select factory features that are normally lost when replacing the factory stereo with an aftermarket head unit. Retained factory features include the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Sync system, GM's OnStar system, as well as Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep's U-Connect system. Other factory retained features include steering wheel controls, Aux inputs/USB ports, Bluetooth, voice command, satellite radio, and secondary display support. Plus, you get touchscreen control over many of these key factory audio features through the Pioneer navigation receiver.
The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX replaces these items
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- motorized capacitive 7" touchscreen with multi-touch control
- Apple CarPlay compatible, Pandora control for iPhone and Android, MirrorLink compatibility for Android
51 questions already asked