5.1-channel slimline home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa capability
Our take on the Yamaha RX-S602 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Fill your living room with sound, not gear
If you don't want your A/V equipment to dominate your living room, or simply don't have room for a regular-sized receiver, Yamaha's RX-S602 fits into small spaces and still puts out big five-channel surround sound. This 4K-compatible slimline receiver offers playback of several different high-resolution audio formats through its front-panel USB port or a networked computer. And an impressive array of wireless streaming options lets you access all your favorite tunes and explore new music effortlessly.
Wireless surround sound? Yes, please
Want fewer wires in your life? Add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 wireless streaming speakers. This receiver allows them to be connected as wireless surround speakers in a 5.1 home theater system with traditional wired front and center channel speakers.
Flexible speaker configurations for a custom sound system
This receiver can power up to five speakers. If you're happy with a 3.1 system, you can use the surround channels to bi-amp your main front speakers for more powerful sound, or reassign them to set up a wired stereo system in a separate room. You can listen to two different sources in your living room and Zone 2, or you can use Party Mode to play back the same source in both rooms.
A world of wireless listening options
Built-in support for streaming services like Spotify®, TIDAL, and Pandora® lets you play and control your favorite music directly through the receiver. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more streaming flexibility.
MusicCast lets you listen the way you want
Yamaha's MusicCast technology makes it easier than ever to set up a whole-home wireless music system. You can add audio playback in up to nine additional rooms with compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars.
MusicCast lets you stream music from your personal collection, internet radio, and streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. The free MusicCast Controller app makes it easy to access your music and control what you have playing in different rooms.
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
Alexa voice control integration means you only have to ask when you want to play music, control volume, or turn the receiver on and off. Alexa can even help you link or unlink rooms in your multi-room MusicCast system.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 55 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- upscales HD video signals to 4K Ultra HD
- MusicCast Surround lets you add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 speakers to create a 5.1-channel setup with wireless rear surrounds
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for automatic speaker calibration and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, Spotify®, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
- free MusicCast app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 32-bit/192kHz resolution)
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo audio output for 2nd room (allows 3.1 home theater in main room)
- Intelligent Amp Assign automatically redirects Surround channels in Main zone to Zone 2 speakers when Zone 2 is powered on
- Party Mode lets you listen to the same source in Zone 2 and your main zone
- HDMI audio sources cannot be output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- three 32-bit/384kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters
- Extra Bass offers enhanced low-frequency response even with small speakers
- Virtual Cinema Front simulates surround sound effects when five connected speakers are all placed in the front of the room
- surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files streamed through Bluetooth
- HDMI audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial
- 3 pairs of stereo RCA inputs
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- front-panel minijack (3.5mm) for connecting a mobile device or portable music player
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 5 speakers: Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R
- 1/4" headphone jack
- free MusicCast Controller app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 4K and 3D video pass-through
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel (ARC) function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner or "smart" content via HDMI
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 4-3/8"H x 12-7/8"D (7-1/2"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 17.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
Frequently Compared With
5.1-channel slimline home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa capability$599.99
5.1-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and HEOS
7.2-channel slimline home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and Amazon Alexa compatibility$749.99