Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast
Our take on the Yamaha R-N303 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Stereo sound for any room
Yamaha's R-N303 is a great choice for anyone looking to enjoy smooth stereo sound from a variety of sources, both wired and wireless. Its analog and digital connections let you hook up traditional analog components, like a CD player or turntable. Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth give you even more ways to listen.
Easy wireless music listening
Yamaha's flexible MusicCast multi-room system lets you enjoy all your music sources in other rooms. That includes Bluetooth streams or components connected to the R-N303's analog inputs. Just add compatible speakers and components to other areas of your home where you want to hear your music. Control your whole-house system using Yamaha's colorful and intuitive MusicCast app on your phone or tablet.
Hands-on time with the 'RN03
"Normally, I wouldn't expect much from a stereo receiver at this price. But I've come to expect more from Yamaha, and this amp delivered. It had plenty of power for my relatively inefficient bookshelf speakers. And the wireless features like Bluetooth and Yamaha's MusicCast platform open up lots of streaming listening possibilities."
-David Brown, Crutchfield editor
- 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (40-20,000 Hz) at 0.2% THD
- front-panel rotary volume knob and push-button bass and treble controls
- 40 AM/FM presets
- remote control
Network Music Features:
- built-in Wi-Fi for connection to your home network
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- also sends audio wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones
- Wireless Direct lets you connect compatible devices to the receiver wirelessly, without the need for a wireless access point
- free MusicCast app lets you control music playback with a compatible mobile device
- support for online music services, including Spotify®, Pandora®, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- connects wirelessly to other Yamaha speakers and receivers with MusicCast to play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- supports high-res playback for PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz as well as DSD files up to 5.6 MHz
Connections and Dimensions:
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo RCA inputs
- RCA recording output for audio dubbing
- phono input for connecting a turntable
- Ethernet port
- 2 pairs of speaker connectors for front A and B speakers
- full-size (1/4") headphone jack
- 17-1/8"W x 5-1/2"H x 13-3/8"D (8"H with Wi-Fi antenna raised)
- weight: 15.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Network stereo receiver
- Remote control (RAX35)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration sheet
- Supplement for Pandora
- Supplement for SiriusXM
- Supplement for Napster
- Supplement for Tidal
- Supplement for Deezer
- Supplement for Spotify
- Spotify brochure
- MusicCast brochure
- "Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Great Value for a blend of technology and amplitude. Comfortably drives 4 pairs of wired speakers with the aid of a Niles Speaker Selector giving me the ability to select input and volume with my iPhone
William, Charlotte, NC
Yamaha R-N303 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||100|
|THD in Stereo||0.2 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||40-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||---|
|Wired or Wireless Network||Wired or Wireless|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM Internet Radio (via M|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Audio Inputs||6|
|Digital Audio Inputs||1 Coax/1 Optical|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
High Power Stereo Amplifier: Engineered for sonic power, Yamaha's R-N303 is equipped with a high-quality, high-power amp, featuring a single push-pull and discrete configuration that delivers a maximum output of 100 watts x 2 channels (8 ohms, 40Hz-20 kHz, 0.2% THD). Its low-impedance design minimizes the lengths of the audio signal paths, while placing the power supply unit near the amp unit eliminates energy loss and achieves superior drivability for optimum sound reproduction with all kinds of speakers, providing exceptionally dynamic, exciting sound.
Analog Inputs & Output: The Yamaha network receiver features four stereo analog RCA inputs (including a Phono input). There is also a stereo analog RCA output.
Phono Input: The Yamaha R-N303 stereo receiver features a dedicated Phono (MM) input for connecting your turntable and listening to your vinyl records.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The R-N303 is equipped for digital audio input, with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) terminals. Both digital inputs supports 2ch PCM (32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz).
Note: The digital outputs are not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats.
A/B Speaker Terminals: The R-N303 is fitted with A & B speaker terminals so you can power up to two pair of speakers. The speaker selector switch on the front-panel of the receiver makes it easy to switch between speaker outputs, allowing you to hear the sound from one speaker pair (A or B) or from both speaker pairs (A+B). In addition, compatible speakers can be bi-wired using the A & B speaker terminals simultaneously (they are wired in parallel). The eight binding-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual). Connect 8 to 16 ohm speakers.
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha R-N303 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs.
Tone Control: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5 dB increments. You can also balance your connected speakers left to right.
Volume Setup: You can set the stereo receiver's maximum volume from 1-99 (1 step increments) to prevent excessive loudness. You can also set the receiver's initial volume to 1-99 (1 step increments), Off, Mute, or Max when the unit is turned on.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha stereo receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server, AirPlay, MusicCast, and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Online Music Services: The Yamaha R-N303 offers access to Internet Radio through its built-in Airable by TuneIn, your Spotify Premium account through Spotify Connect on your Apple iOS or Android device; and your Pandora, TIDAL, Deezer, SiriusXM or Napster music account through Yamaha's MusicCast app.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha stereo receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.
- Pandora: Pandora is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- TIDAL: Tidal is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Deezer: Deezer is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. SiriusXM lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Napster: Napster is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the stereo receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the stereo receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information on the receiver's front-panel display.
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha R-N303 stereo receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include - WAV/FLAC/AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kbps), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- DLNA Certified: The R-N303 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the R-N303 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the stereo receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's front-panel display. The stereo receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha R-N303 network receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The R-N303 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Audio Streaming: This AV receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the stereo receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: The receiver's optical/coaxial digital (2ch PCM only), and analog input sources can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system.
- Hi-Res Audio (via USB or DLNA): MusicCast supports Hi-Res audio via DLNA or USB (the R-N303 is not equipped with a USB input. The MusicCast system is compatible with Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit, as well as FLAC and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz. When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices down-converted to 48kHz.
- Online Music Services & Tuner: MusicCast offers support for Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Napster & Airable. In addition the receiver's AM/FM tuner can be distributed across multiple MusicCast speakers.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously. The MusicCast enabled receiver can also stream out non-Bluetooth sources to most any Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it convenient to expand MusicCast to your existing audio products.
- Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected to your home's wireless network (802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz).
- If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded onto your Apple (iOS 9.0+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS 4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio, Bluetooth; as well as analog & digital inputs.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Yamaha R-N303 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) for wireless communication between Bluetooth-enabled audio source devices, headphones, and speakers. The AV receiver can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones/speakers.
- Bluetooth Receiver: The R-N303 incorporates Bluetooth A2DP & AVRCP, so you can wirelessly stream stored music & music apps from a Bluetooth-enabled device; like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop to the AV receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of music streamed from your Apple iPod/Phone/iPad. Song/artist information will be displayed on the front-panel of the receiver. You'll you be able to control basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the receiver's remote; advance music browsing still has to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth Transmitter: The Yamaha stereo receiver can also act as a Bluetooth transmitter and stream its non-Bluetooth audio sources (Network, Analog, Optical/Coax Digital, & AM/FM tuner) out to most any Bluetooth headphone or speaker. You can only pair and stream audio to one Bluetooth headphone or speaker at a time. You can even have the same source playing from the main speakers and a Bluetooth speaker/headphone simultaneously (there is a slight audio delay). Volume control of the Bluetooth speaker/headphone will be controlled via the Bluetooth device and not the receiver. *To use this feature, the receiver must be connected to your home network and you will need to use MusicCast Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device to configure the receiver as a Bluetooth transmitter.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha stereo receiver.
Alexa Compatible (Firmware Update Required): Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) will soon be able to control key functions of a MusicCast system using voice commands. A firmware update (available sometime in October), will be available for download that allows key functions of MusicCast products to be controlled using your voice through Alexa-enabled devices (sold separately).
- Alexa Skill: The MusicCast skill for Alexa will allow you to power MusicCast products on and off, control basic playback functions, make selections from a playlist of favorite music, adjust the volume, and use the Link function for playback of multiple MusicCast products simultaneously.
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo, Echo Dot or Echo Show with any MusicCast wireless speaker, sound bar or stereo receiver and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Using the MusicCast app, you can then select the Bluetooth input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear it throughout your home. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. This requires using an optional analog audio cable (sold separately). Using the MusicCast app, you can select the wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
Note: You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap, or Echo Show - all sold separately) to operate certain functions of your MusicCast products via voice-command. The MusicCast components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network.
IR Remote: The Yamaha R-N303 comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the network stereo receiver
Front-Panel Display: The R-N303 network receiver features a front-panel display to indicate audio settings, source input, station identification, and song/artist information. You can adjust the brightness of the front-panel display. This unit does not offer an on-screen display.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via DLNA.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Power Standby: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode. The Auto Power Standby feature is set at 20 minutes for Bluetooth & Network sources and 8 hours for Analog/Digital input sources, as well as the AM/FM tuner.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Great reviews. Has all the features I was looking for. Excited to upgrade my stereo receiver. [ Matthew Sep 20, 2018 ]
Best price for features, open box saved even more! [ Fredrick Sep 16, 2018 ]
Crutchfield staff members recommendation for my type speakers and listening selection. Since my speakers I basically use for music, the Yamaha R-N303 was the best type application for me. [ David Sep 13, 2018 ]
I just wanted a stereo receiver and this one looks like the perfect fit for me. [ Craig Sep 11, 2018 ]
After advise from Taylor in support, this unit should fit my needs. Better TV sound,turntable,cd's,wifi,bluetooth. [ Bill Sep 10, 2018 ]
Recommended by your tech. [ R Sep 06, 2018 ]
I chose this item because it has the features I want, as well as the price and good reviews. [ Valerie Aug 24, 2018 ]
Meets my network connectivity & wifi requirements. Well rated per your on-site reviews. [ Gerard Aug 06, 2018 ]
Wi-fi [ Kenneth C. Jul 28, 2018 ]
It had the same back configuration that my old HK had. [ Richard Jul 09, 2018 ]
Good experience with Yamaha receivers and MusicCast [ PATRICK Jul 09, 2018 ]
word of mouth [ Richard Jul 08, 2018 ]
Good price for the power and features I wanted [ Chris Jul 05, 2018 ]
Wired network controllability by home automation. Stereo only. [ David Jun 29, 2018 ]
Yamaha make best product in world [ EDWIN Jun 28, 2018 ]
Needed a good receiver to play music and to power my new Elac F6 floorstanding speakers....This Yamaha R-N 303 offered just what I needed..... [ JERRY Jun 27, 2018 ]
great features and capabilities on this receiver i am buying to replace my old one from the "80's!! Yamaha has always been reliable for me and performs comparably well to others costing thousands of dollars!!!) [ lorrai Jun 21, 2018 ]
It looks like an excellent value for the price. I wanted a Bluetooth receiver that suppors a turntable, and I believe in Yamaha quality. I know first-hand of Crutchfields unmatched customer service. My first purchase here was a Sanyo AM FM cassette car radio for my 1973 Olds Cutlass! Back in the day......still even stronger today! [ Lynn Jun 17, 2018 ]
I chose the R-N303 because it had everything I needed (AirPlay, Bluetooth, and MusicCast) while not being overly complex of a system. This receiver had it all, and at a very reasonable price. I also wanted a decent amount of power, and a reputable name. This was a no-brainer. [ Richard Jun 16, 2018 ]
Pandora, Sirius enabled [ GORDON J Jun 16, 2018 ]
wanted the wireless tech. [ Mary Jun 15, 2018 ]
Friend recommendation plus has a Phono input!! [ Timothy Jun 07, 2018 ]
Just what I was looking for. [ Juan Jun 05, 2018 ]
excellent reviews and total trust in Yamaha products [ Silvio Jun 05, 2018 ]
Kristina recommended for my bose 901 series 6 speakers. Thanks Kristina [ Jonathan Jun 05, 2018 ]
Power outdoor speakers using Airplay [ GARY S Jun 04, 2018 ]
Simple, clean front panel. Wireless networking, Analog inputs. [ Brian Jun 04, 2018 ]
Highly acclaimed receiver and price drop. [ K Jun 03, 2018 ]
Apple Play and general satisfaction with Yamaha audio products. [ STEVEN Jun 03, 2018 ]
I have considered a few different receivers, but the great reviews convinced me to buy the Yamaha R-N303. It has all of the network features that I was looking for in a stereo receiver. I have been purchasing products from Crutchfield since the mid 70's and I have always received great service and advice. [ Thomas May 31, 2018 ]
Mine died and needed a new one. This was in my price range. [ Rozella May 30, 2018 ]
Had a good experience with Yamaha receivers and this model has Bluetooth and Wi Fi capabilities. [ Jose May 24, 2018 ]
has all the features i wanted [ Victor May 17, 2018 ]
Needed a bluetooth receiver to drive a pair of speakers and a turntable as well as stream music to. This could do all that and was a simple solution. [ Dave May 17, 2018 ]
Because after a lot of research it looks like what I need and I know that if I have issues of any kind you will be there for me. [ Kevin May 15, 2018 ]
Value. [ Augustus May 15, 2018 ]
Value & Brand [ Kevin May 15, 2018 ]
Replaces a Sony STR-VX350 receiver that I bought from Crutchfield back in circa 1975 - finally gave out. Can't go wrong with Crutchfield products and services. [ Dawn May 11, 2018 ]
Recommended by customer service person [ Barry May 10, 2018 ]
This is an item I have had on my wish list when I started piecing my stereo system together. Now all that is left are the speakers !! [ Alice May 09, 2018 ]
Quality, good brand price,.and features. [ Rey May 09, 2018 ]
Yamaha reputation, phono input and wide range of digital input options inc. alexa [ George May 08, 2018 ]
$50 price drop and sound quality. This receiver also has some of the extra features for playing music from the computer and iPhone. Plus, these should be perfect for my old JBL speakers. [ Sean May 08, 2018 ]
Bryce from crutchfield recommended it. [ ARMANDO May 05, 2018 ]
customer reviews very positive, and fits requirements [ Tim May 02, 2018 ]
Based upon reviews and long-time fan of Yamaha high fidelity products dating back to the late 1970's! Had a Yamaha AX700U that I absolutely loved...used it in my outdoor "man cave"/bar and finally the changing temps and humidity "did the old girl in"... [ Steven May 02, 2018 ]
Excellent unit for the price, has everything I want in a new receiver. [ George S. Apr 29, 2018 ]
Love Yamaha products [ MICHAEL Apr 28, 2018 ]
I have made several purchases from crutchfield over the years from headphones to receivers. I have never had any issues and the quality of the items has always been excellent. [ Mark Apr 27, 2018 ]
I chose it because it had all the features I wanted in a receiver. [ Harold L. Apr 24, 2018 ]
Looks to be perfect for our bay house where we can connect a bluetooth speaker so we can have music upstairs and downstairs. [ Peter Apr 15, 2018 ]
Best bang for my buck. Didn't want to spend a ton on a receiver right now, and this provided some advance features for a good price. [ D Apr 11, 2018 ]
Time to update our Audio system with new technology. Will have indoor and outdoor wired speakers and MusicCast WiFi speakers for where ever we most want to enjoy great music. [ John Apr 08, 2018 ]
Yamaha has a very good rep in the audio community and the features of this receiver at this price were too good to pass up! [ Daniel Apr 06, 2018 ]
My shop stereo died and I needed a new one. Love the Pandora streaming option. [ Paul Apr 04, 2018 ]
Hunter, my Crutchfield advisor, was very helpful and patient in helping me understand new stereo technology and component features. With his help I quickly got answers to my questions and chose my new audio stereo receiver. He made it easy! [ John Apr 03, 2018 ]
It most closely resembles my 30+ year old amp, plus it has all the connectivity I could want to the newest wireless technology. [ David Apr 03, 2018 ]
I ordered one already and fell in love with the music cast. Upgrading to more music cast products to expand my whole home/pool audio. [ ROBERT Mar 30, 2018 ]
Yamaha products are a great value and never let me down! [ David Richard Mar 28, 2018 ]
Your techs helped pick [ James Mar 21, 2018 ]
I have always liked Yamaha audio products. This gives me the minimum wired and wireless capabilities for a reasonable price. [ Robert Mar 12, 2018 ]
research shows this is a good buy [ Steve Mar 11, 2018 ]
This is what I need [ myron Mar 08, 2018 ]
Brice recommended it. [ John Mar 08, 2018 ]
Bluetooth [ Eric C. Mar 07, 2018 ]
Meets my needs and wants [ Louis Mar 01, 2018 ]
I needed a tuner/amplifier to replace a 40-year old tuner-amp that I use for my turntable, CD, and tape deck. [ Alan E. Feb 27, 2018 ]
lowest price full network stereo receiver with phono input and 100 watts output [ D Feb 26, 2018 ]
I plan on using the receiver to stream my audio collection to my lanai. Yamaha makes very good products and have a pleasing sound. [ Paul Feb 20, 2018 ]
Needed a good stereo receiver for my phono and multiple CD carousels with a multi room option. I have been a Yamaha buyer for a number of years, so this bargain priced unit is exactly what I was looking for. The bluetooth and WiFi are just an added bonus. [ Dale Feb 19, 2018 ]
reviews [ russell Feb 18, 2018 ]
High reviews, remote & Bluetooth. [ Frederick Feb 15, 2018 ]
Value for WiFi and application use [ Richard Feb 13, 2018 ]
To make it part of a home MusicCast system [ Jean-Luc Feb 12, 2018 ]
It has a Phono Pre-amp to accommodate the Uturn turn table I ordered, and bluetooth for when I want to use my digital library. was looking for simple, clean power. [ Mark Feb 12, 2018 ]
The unit incorporates analog and digital, enabling me to use my turntable, cd and cassette deck, while combining my pc and smart tv. It's efficient, handsome and all the wattage I currently need. [ Richard Feb 10, 2018 ]
good product [ Rodrigo Da Feb 10, 2018 ]
For the phono jack [ alphonse Feb 06, 2018 ]
Crutchfield advisor determined that this receiver met my needs. No more countless hours of searching other stores. The price was acceptable. The service was incredible. [ Roger Jan 28, 2018 ]
I just hooked back up my old stereo system but needed a new receiver. After researching numerous brands and models I found that this receiver would push out the sound I want. An added bonus is to be able to use Bluetooth to play music from my Kindle. I can't wait to hook this up and use my old school speakers with new school technology. [ Courtland Jan 27, 2018 ]
Simplicity [ james Jan 26, 2018 ]
Replacing a 20 year old Yamaha unit. Bluetooth is a must for my electronic music library... [ Chad Jan 22, 2018 ]
Yamaha is a great product at a good price. [ Timothy J. Jan 18, 2018 ]
Price [ Daniel Jan 15, 2018 ]
I have read from several sources that Yamaha makes excellent receivers. My current a/v receiver (an Onkyo) is about 17.5 years old and is breaking down. I no longer need the full surround sound features and felt a two channel receiver would be a better match. This unit has the features I want and is within my price range. [ Jayson Jan 13, 2018 ]
Highly rated stereo receiver with the feature of wireless connection to speakers in other rooms that I was looking for. [ Rebecca Jan 05, 2018 ]
Good value for the money...especially streaming features [ Michael Dec 26, 2017 ]
This amp has good power, bluetooth and other connectivity, and direct phono input. [ Richard Dec 20, 2017 ]
All of the features I could ask for without unnecessary nonsense. [ Robert Dec 17, 2017 ]
Good features - hard to find a basic stereo receiver any more [ Barney Dec 16, 2017 ]
Was exactly what my husband wanted [ Crystal Dec 15, 2017 ]
Was looking for a receiver with FM and Internet capabilities, in particular SiriusXM. [ Kevin Dec 07, 2017 ]
Always had good luck with Yamaha products and this seems to be right for my music needs. [ TODD Dec 06, 2017 ]
SOUNDS GREAT NICELY POWERED GOING TO HOOK UP A TURNTABLE AGAIN. [ M Dec 03, 2017 ]
Have bought Yamaha products for 40 years, great stuff. [ Patrick Nov 15, 2017 ]
Have used Yamaha Receiver before with very nice sound and has great product features. [ Ramsey Oct 31, 2017 ]
Was going to buy another yamaha 202 but for 100 bucks more with more options was an easy decision. [ Bret Oct 23, 2017 ]
After chatting with Mark. This was the best choice for my needs [ J Oct 13, 2017 ]
Good value for my daughter. I own a Yamaha receiver. [ joe Oct 13, 2017 ]
To run my AR 38bxi speakers separate from my Denon x2000 for music versus home theater with the Klipsch speakers. [ michael Oct 09, 2017 ]
recommendation of tech and the price. lower priced but still does the same. [ Mitch Oct 09, 2017 ]
Price point with the features I needed. [ MIKE Oct 01, 2017 ]
It had the features I was looking for in the way of network connectivity and Bluetooth. [ R Sep 23, 2017 ]
23 questions already asked
Yes. As long as both are on the same Wifi. My receiver powers up speakers on my porch and it is hidden in a closet. I can turn it on and off via my iPhone and MusicCast [ Drew Sep 07, 2018 ]
I don't use either of those. I had to connect via Bluetooth. [ Cheryl Sep 07, 2018 ]
Yes, but if you have multiple iOS devices interference can cut the range down [ Mark Sep 06, 2018 ]
The line output on the R-N303 will work to transmit the audio signal from any input you have selected on the receiver. The output is fixed though; so if you're connecting an external amplifier it will need to have its own volume control. For more details or to discuss further, please contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Hope that helps! :) [ Larry Jul 12, 2018 ] Staff
The R-N303 stereo receiver provides it's own built-in amplification (100 watts x 2) for powering speakers. It does not offer a variable pre-amp output for connecting an external amp. [ Ryan Jul 06, 2018 ] Staff
I don't think so. I gave up my equalizer when I gave up my separate tuner/amp (Sansui). [ David Jun 12, 2018 ]
It will make some noise but I doubt it will give you the power you are looking for. Mine just powers some klipsch bookshelf speakers and its plenty loud for me. [ Michael May 29, 2018 ]
I don't use the MusicCast app, this device has a setting for Bluetooth. I just pair my phone or my laptop to the R-N303 and it allows me to stream iTunes or SiriusXM thru my speakers. [ Cheryl May 26, 2018 ]
I don't know about Bra specifically but my senheiser, and razors both work [ Thomas May 25, 2018 ]
Nitronik08, Sorry I don't know. I'm probably not as tech savy as you. I bought my speakers (expensive ones at that time) through the PX in Germany and have never had a need for any since then. I'm presuming the wires to my speakers, which are connected to the Yamaha are pretty much whatever was standard at that time, 35 years ago. I like my Yamaha. Rod [ Rodney B. Jun 01, 2018 ]
Not sure. [ Francis Jun 01, 2018 ]
Yes it does. That's what I am using, the original monster cable 12 gauge wire. It also fit my old Pioneer and new Polk speakers. Enjoy [ Gregory Jun 01, 2018 ]
I used 14 gauge with no issues. I would think 12 gauge would work, you have to try it. [ TODD Jun 01, 2018 ]
I'm sorry, I don't know. [ PL Jun 01, 2018 ]
I believe that you need line of sight for the remote to work. If you can pair up your iPhone or similar device with WiFi you can control the receiver from anywhere in your house. [ Alan T. Apr 18, 2018 ]
Don't think so I put a wooden board from cabinet in front of mine and it didn't work [ jane Apr 17, 2018 ]
No. I took mine out of a cabinet specifically for this reason. [ Michael Apr 17, 2018 ]
No, the remote uses an led to signal the receiver. I tested it by putting the receiver in a cabinet with the door shut. It would not respond. [ Lee Apr 10, 2018 ]
Yamaha recievers are awesomely class ab amps...i dont recommend running them with the cabinet door shut...they need to have ventilation...i never tried to runn tjem behind a wood door but i think the remote is line of sight so i would say mo...but its an awesome sounding unit ...it sounds great ....but no usb hookup to access the good dac it has thats why i ended up getting rid of this unit [ John Apr 09, 2018 ]
Hard wired using the "A" "B" switch, yes. I would like to get a second location without being hard wired. I don't know if it can be done. [ MIKE Feb 27, 2018 ]
I am not sure. I have one set of speakers that are hard wired. There are buttons on the receiver that are marked A and B for the speakers. I am assuming if you had two sets of speakers you could control which set you wanted to play or both. You should ask crutchfield techs as they are very knowledgeable. Sorry I am not any more help. [ Lisa A. Feb 27, 2018 ]
Yes, through MusicCast. You can also play different music to both zones simultaneously as well. I have not got my outside speakers yet, so unfortunately , I have not been able to check that out yet. [ Gregory Feb 27, 2018 ]
Yes. I have mine set up to play on my deck or great room either separately or at the same time. [ John Feb 27, 2018 ]
Yes, but with limits. You can connect A and B speakers, but they will always play the same inputs at the same volume. I have the B pair connected in the kitchen with a separate Niles volume controller. [ Robert Feb 27, 2018 ]
No, your go to go [ Kenneth Feb 19, 2018 ]
If the tv has an optical cable out put you hook that to your yamaha reciever than anything you play on your tv will go through the yamaha reciever [ John Feb 01, 2018 ]
The receiver has one line out that uses stereo RCA jacks. You should be able connect to your TV with these. [ Lee Jan 31, 2018 ]
Not known - just received my receiver and have not played with it that much as yet. [ Charles Jan 16, 2018 ]
Unknown. You might be able to look at the owners manual online and look for that possibility. [ David Jan 15, 2018 ]
No, two at any given time is the limit. We have four speakers, two upstairs and two down. Yamaha is incredibly reliable, basically trouble-free for years and years. But I would bump up to one of their more powerful models. [ STEVEN Jan 15, 2018 ]
I have not tried. It only has A and B speaker ports. I would think if you tried to hook up more speakers in a series circuit the resistance would be too much. But give it a try. Who knows. What about a receiver with more ports? 5-2, 7-2 [ PATRICK Jan 13, 2018 ]
No, you need 8 ohm speakers [ Rebekah Jan 11, 2018 ]
I HAVE USED IT WITH 4,6 AND 8 OHM SPEAKERS AND THEY SOUND BEST AT 4 OHMS,BUT 6 WILL STILL DO THE JOB. [ Paul Jan 11, 2018 ]
Yes, but only at moderate volume levels. To be safe, I would set the max volume limiter to 70% and see how warm the chassis gets, then adjust down if needed. [ Albert Jan 11, 2018 ]
I'm running BOSE 901 with no problems [ Kenneth Jan 11, 2018 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Dec 30, 2017 ] Staff
Since speaker impedance is measured in ohms, Thevenin's theorem (8*16)/(8+16) = 5.333 ohms - not recommended. The key is to watch your heat because the manual isn't clear on the North American model. [ Albert Dec 06, 2017 ]
The latest information we received from Yamaha indicates the R-N303 receiver only supports the original Apple AirPlay (or "AirPlay 1") technology at this time. Given that AirPlay 2 was just recently announced by Apple, it's not certain whether "AirPlay 1" components can be updated to support AirPlay 2 features. As soon as we have more information in that regard, we will be sure to update our website accordingly. If you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Dec 13, 2017 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer, or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Dec 06, 2017 ] Staff
Yes, use it daily! Tune in by Onkyo. [ ROBERT Dec 08, 2017 ]
It can run TuneIn radio through its Airable interface! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Dec 04, 2017 ] Staff
You use a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable to connect any iPod to this receiver. Here are those cables: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_344750/3-5mm-Audio-Cables.html?tp=35006#&nvpair=FFType|Mini to RCA Also, you can use the Bluetooth in this receiver to transmit audio to any Bluetooth speaker. HTH! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Nov 30, 2017 ] Staff
You'll use the Yamaha MusicCast App to control the streaming services but the receiver itself streams them through your home network and broadband internet service; not through your phone. I hope that helps. My Bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Nov 01, 2017 ] Staff
Yamaha support helped me program and sync my speakers [ Thomas Oct 23, 2017 ]
You can connect a powered subwoofer that has speaker level inputs. We have a way to filter down to just the models that have that type of inputs (I tried to create a link with it, but the filter choice didn't stay selected). Here are the subwoofers we carry with the filter list so you can choose to see the ones with speaker level inputs: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_12300/Powered-Subwoofers.html#&clearAll My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Oct 07, 2017 ] Staff
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get more connections and setup flexibility
The Yamaha R-N602 offers these features:
1 additional optical and 1 additional coaxial digital input
front-panel USB input for playing music stored on a thumb drive
line-level output for adding a powered subwoofer
4-ohm stable for driving a wider variety of speakers
rotary tone adjustment knobs on the front panel, instead of push-button controls
power rating is 80 watts, but at a more conservative full-bandwidth rating
Frequently Compared With
Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast
Stereo receiver with Bluetooth®
Network stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast
Network stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast