Nest Cam Outdoor
Wireless outdoor security camera
From Nest: How to set up and install Nest Cam Outdoor
Our take on the Nest Cam Outdoor by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Nest Cam goes outdoors
Download the free Nest app so you can check the view from the Nest Cam Outdoor anywhere, any time.
There are times when I need to see what's going on outside my house: whether I'm expecting an important delivery, watching for my son to come home from school, or when I'm snug in bed and hear a noise out by the garbage cans. The Nest Cam Outdoor is weatherproof, and lets you check in instantly using your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Just plug in your camera and launch the Nest app on your phone and you'll be streaming video and receiving alerts in moments. The Nest Cam Outdoor is your eyes, ears and even your voice when you're away from home — each camera has a microphone and speaker built in, so you can make your presence known, or have a brief conversation about homework while you're still in the office.
Note: The Nest Cam Outdoor uses the included USB cord with AC adapter for power, but communicates with your device wirelessly.
Subscription-based cloud storage
The Nest Cam Outdoor streams live video, but you'll likely want to save clips for later review. Nest Aware offers subscription-based cloud storage packages that automatically archive a 5-day history ($5 per month or $50/year), 10-day history ($10 per month or $100/year) or a 30-day history ($30/month or $300/year). Nest Aware also offers advanced services like an alert history, personalized alerts for different zones, and an ability to create time lapse videos to show changes throughout the day.
Part of your whole-home Nest system
The Nest Cam Outdoor is compatible with other Nest home automation devices:
Your Nest devices work together to give you more control over home security. If your smoke detector sends you an alert while you're at work, you can turn on your Nest camera and assess the situation instantly, then use the camera's microphone and speakers to warn anyone who might be home. Even better, if your Nest Protect senses rising levels of carbon monoxide, your Nest Thermostat can automatically turn off your connected gas furnace.
- wireless, weatherproof outdoor HD security camera is easy to install and sync with other Nest devices
- compatible with:
- live-view footage from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet or laptop
- 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- 130° field of view
- 3-megapixel sensor provides sharp, clear images
- 8X pinch-to-zoom feature lets you focus on a specific part of a room using the touchscreen on your smartphone or tablet
- dual-band radio makes a solid Wi-Fi® connection
- stream live video wirelessly to your computer, tablet or smartphone
- get emails or push notifications instantly when motion and sound are detected
- built-in mic and speaker allow two-way communication via free Nest app
- camera switches to night vision mode automatically when a it gets dark
- 10-foot USB cable and AC power adapter included
- note: uses the included USB cord for power, but communicates with your device wirelessly
- set the camera to turn on and off based on time of day or your location
- save and share footage with optional Nest Aware service (requires a monthly or yearly fee)
- 128-bit encryption happens inside the camera to provide security even on unsecured Wi-Fi networks
- speed-search for a specific moment in a day's worth of video with Sightline
- if you have more than one camera in a room, use Spaces to see all of them at once
- free 3-hour snapshot history in the Nest app, so you can check and see if you missed anything
- share password-protected live view from your camera
- two-step authentication makes your Nest devices more secure
- get a special Person Alert when Nest Cam Outdoor detects a human presence
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 3.5"L x 2.8"W x 2.8"H
- weight: 11.04 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Outdoor camera with attached 119" power cable (Type A USB plug)
- Power adapter with 15' cable (female USB Type A port on one end and 2-prong polarized AC plug on other end)
- Magnetic mount
- Camera wall plate (attached to magnetic mount)
- Adapter wall plate
- 12 Self-tapping screws (1" length)
- 12 Plastic wall anchors
- 9 Cable clips
- Welcome Home sheet
- Installation Guide
Very easy setup and great picture quality
Nest Cam Outdoor Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: Nest Cam Outdoor is a small, outdoor camera that can help you keep an eye on your home or office. This weatherproof security camera can stream live 1080p Full HD video to your computer, or to an iPhone, iPad, or Android device. Two-way audio lets you hear what's going on, and allows you to talk to persons through the camera. It works as a standalone home surveillance camera, or in conjunction with the Nest Cam Indoor, Nest Protect Smoke and CO alarm, and the Nest Thermostat. The Nest Cam Outdoor comes with a 25' power cable, cable clips, and a magnetic wall mount with hardware.
High Definition Video: Nest Cam Outdoor has an all-glass lens to give you the best image possible. It has a wide 130° angle of view, so you can see the entire area around your doors or windows. In the Nest app, you can zoom in up to 8x to get a closer look. Built-in Night Vision lets you see things clearly at night.
Installing: Nest Cam Outdoor mounts to a 1-7/16" diameter magnetic wall mount. The back of the camera is rounded, which allows you to position the camera at virtually any angle. It is recommended that the camera is mounted between 7' and 10' above the ground or floor, tilted downward. It should be close enough to see a person's face and to communicate with them through the camera. Nest Cam Outdoor requires AC power from a nearby power outlet, either outdoor or indoor. If there is no outdoor outlet, you may have to drill through your home's exterior wall. The camera streams audio and video via Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n), and should be mounted within range of your router.
Nest App: You can view streaming video from your Nest Cam Outdoor on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device through the free Nest App. The app is compatible with Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) running iOS 8.0 or later. It is also compatible with all Samsung devices running Android 4.1 or later. The Nest application for laptops and desktop computers is available for Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X v10.9 or later, with the latest versions of Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox.
Nest Aware: Nest Cam Outdoor lets you view live streaming on your computer or mobile device. You can check in anytime to see what's happening, and see photos of activity from the last three hours. The optional Nest Aware service with Video History lets you save the past 10 or 30 days of video footage in the cloud for review at any time. The service can create a time lapse of an event, or of an entire day, that you can watch in 60 seconds. You can make and save clips to share with friends or family. Custom activity zones can be created to keep an eye on specific areas in your home. As of September 2016, Nest Aware rates start at $10/month or $100/year for 10 days of video history and $30/month or $300/year for 30 days.
Works With Nest: When Nest Cam Outdoor is added to a home network that includes Nest products, additional features are available. If the Nest Protect Smoke and CO Detector sounds an Emergency Alarm, all of the Nest Cams will turn on and start recording video automatically. The recording will continue for 1 hour, or until the Nest Protect senses that the smoke or carbon monoxide has subsided. When paired with a Nest Thermostat, the Nest Cams in your home can be set to automatically turn on when you switch to the Away setting on the Thermostat. When you return, and manually set the Thermostat to the Home setting, the Nest Cams will automatically turn off. This feature does not work with Nest Thermostat's Auto-Away feature.
Activity Alerts: Nest Cam Outdoor can detect and alert you to either motion in your video or sound picked up by the microphone on the camera. When activity is detected, or if Nest Cam is offline, an alert is sent to your mobile device (through the Nest App), or to your Nest Cam account.
Camera Settings: Using the Nest App or your Nest Cam Account, you can change the following settings:
- Camera On/Off: lets you turn the camera video streaming on or off
- Status Light: turns the status light on or off
- HD Video: turns HD video on or off (to save bandwidth)
- Night Vision: activates ring of IR LEDs used for night vision. You can set to Auto, or manual on/off
- Rotate Image: rotates the video 180° in case you have to invert and mount on the ceiling
- Audio: turns the camera's microphone on or off
- Microphone Sensitivity: if microphone is on, this slide control adjusts the mic's sensitivity
- Camera Scheduling: allows you to set daily schedules for your camera to be on or off
- Location Schedule: For iOS only, this setting allows you to turn the camera on or off using the location of your iPhone.
- Nest Cam CVR: lets you see your current CVR (cloud video recording) subscription
- Detect Motion Events: allows you to enable or disable the camera to detect motion events
- Detect Sound Events: allows you to enable or disable the camera to detect sound events
- Wi-Fi Network: indicated which Wi-Fi network your camera is connected to.
- Deactivate The Camera: If you want to use the camera in a different Nest Cam account, sell or give away the camera, you must first deactivate it.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Gave up looking, hostly. [ BRIAN Jun 25, 2018 ]
Need a good outdoor camera for security [ Jose Nov 24, 2017 ]
Have several indoor Nest cams and love them. Need one for our porch. [ Chris Nov 22, 2017 ]
Ability to watch what's going outside my house. [ EDWARD Y Jul 25, 2017 ]
I have other " NEST " products and personally feel that these are the best out there. [ WALTER Feb 21, 2017 ]
Home security, peace of mind [ Micheal Feb 18, 2017 ]
Excellent ratings two way communication great picture quality. [ Albert Dec 30, 2016 ]
works better then other products [ THOMAS Dec 14, 2016 ]
I have other nest cameras and their quality is excellent. [ LUIS Sep 29, 2016 ]
reputation [ DARRELL Sep 19, 2016 ]
Concerned about package theft. [ Craig Sep 17, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
No. It won't work with Alexa Echo. Maybe it works with Echo Show. [ Remi Nov 06, 2017 ]