MartinLogan Motion® SLM XL
Multi-purpose home theater speaker
Our take on the MartinLogan Motion® SLM XL by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Space-saving on-wall or tabletop speaker
Dual 4" woofers, four 4" passive radiators and MartinLogan's advanced Folded Motion tweeter help the ultra-slim Motion SLM XL sound like a much bigger speaker.
Enjoy a rich listening experience with the décor-friendly Motion SLM XL speaker from MartinLogan. This sleek, wall-mountable speaker delivers high-impact sound with pinpoint imaging, and superb realism — perfect for enveloping surround sound.
Its long slender design makes it an attractive match for larger, wall-mounted TVs. Use the SLM XL as an on-wall left, right, or center channel speaker, or you can mount it on the included glass base or "kick stand" brackets for placement on your entertainment cabinet.
Folded Motion tweeter for detailed sound
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works like an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. It requires about 90% less excursion than a typical 1" dome tweeter, resulting in quicker response time and much lower distortion. The tweeter's controlled sound dispersion creates a focused soundstage with a real sense of presence. Music sounds amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness.
Surprisingly full sound from a super-thin design
The other key to the Motion SLM XL's outstanding performance is the innovative dual 4" ultra-slim mid/woofers and four 4" passive bass radiators. The passive radiators act as pressure relief valves for the cabinet, causing the woofers to behave as if they were operating in a much larger cabinet. The result is full, dynamic sound that makes movies and music more enjoyable and engaging. The high-gloss cabinet is under 2" thick including the supplied bracket, so you can wall-mount it next to even the thinnest flat-panel TVs and maintain a sleek, elegant look.
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter for exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- two 4" paper cone bass/midrange drivers
- four 4" paper cone passive radiators
- high-precision audiophile-grade crossover network
- frequency response 100-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity 94 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-140 watts
- one pair of push-style binding posts
- gloss black finish
- includes wall-mounting bracket and curved black-glass base
- also includes "kick-stand" brackets for free-standing center channel applications
- 6-7/16"W x 34-1/8"H x 1-15/16"D
- weight: 9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Ultra-slim loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille (installed)
- MartinLogan magnetic logo
- Vertical stand body
- Vertical stand base
- 2 Horizontal stands
- Three #8 x 3/4" screws
- Three1.5" screws
- 3 Drywall anchors
- Two M5 x 30mm screws
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Installation template
- Product Registration Card
very clear and detail sound
Anonymous, Charlotte, NC
MartinLogan Motion® SLM XL Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Speakers||1|
|Bipole or Dipole||N/A|
|Tweeter||Folded Motion transducer|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
Two-Way Speaker/Passive Radiator Design: The secret to the Motion SLM-XL ultra-slim speaker's outstanding performance is the innovative dual 4" ultra-slim fiber cone woofers and quadruple 4" high-velocity passive bass radiators, paired with a Folded Motion tweeter to create smooth, refined sound with stunning dynamic range and excellent clarity.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter helps give the Motion SLM-XL ultra-slim loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Dual Ultra-Slim Woofers + Quadruple Passive Bass Radiators: Two 4" paper cone woofers are coupled with four 4" paper cone passive radiators to provide rich, detailed midrange and midbass that complement MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter perfectly.
Precision Crossovers: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the midbass drivers (woofers), the Motion SLM-XL loudspeaker features a precision 3100Hz crossover utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
Ultra-Slim Cabinet: The high-gloss black ultra-slim cabinet is only 1.875" deep, for a total wall protrusion of 2.0" with the included wall mount bracket. Hidden discretely underneath the grille, the drivers are held securely in place by a solid, black-anodized brushed aluminum baffle.
Spring-Post Connectors: The MartinLogan Motion SLM-XL speaker features two spring-post connectors to attach your speaker wire. The spring-posts will accept bare wire (16- to 12-gauge) and pin-connectors. The rubber caps on the spring-post connectors must be removed to use banana plugs.
Applications: The Folded Motion tweeter has an 80° x 80° dispersion pattern, which allows the Motion SLM-XL ultra-slim speaker to sound exactly the same in a horizontal or vertical orientation, making them perfect for Left-Center-Right (LCR) system applications. Or, use them as rear surround speakers. Because of its ultra-slim design, the Motion SLM-XL is perfect for wall-mounting next to your flat-panel television.
Note: This speaker is not magnetically shielded and therefore should not be placed directly beside or atop a CRT television.
Mounting Options: The MartinLogan SLM-XL loudspeaker can be wall mounted next to your flat-panel TV using the keyhole slot on the back of the speaker and the included wall-mount bracket. The speaker can be mounted vertically or horizontally (for center-channel application) on your wall. While MartinLogan created the Motion SLM-XL to wall mount next to a flat-panel TV, that's not its only application. Also, included with the ultra-slim speaker is a curved black base to allow them to sit vertically on a shelf, stand, or equipment cabinet. In addition, the speaker includes two "kick-stands" that attach to the back of the cabinet that allow you rest the loudspeaker horizontally on a flat surface and use it as a center-channel speaker. Dimensions of speaker:
- Wall-Mounted: 6.4375.125" (w) x 34.125" (h) x 2.0" (d)
- Vertical Base: 10.0625" (w) x 36.625" (h), 8.125" (d)
- Horizontal Kick Stands: 34.125" (w) x 6.4375" (h) x 3.875" (d)
Note: The logo on the grille is magnetic and can move and rotate to the proper atheistically pleasing location in any orientation.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Pairing with Martin Logan ESL fronts makes this choice as a center kind of a no-brainer, if you prefer on-wall centers. Martin Logan has other centers of course which are better, but are either large floor mounts or deep wall/table mounts. I'm not a fan of the in-wall grill look, so again, my decision was easy. May not be the best choice for everyone though. [ David Apr 28, 2018 ]
I needed a slim style center speaker. [ Lawrence Dec 03, 2017 ]
1) The reputation of the sound and quality of MartinLogan speakers. 2) The reputation of the quality of service at Crutchfield. [ D Jul 31, 2017 ]
I chose this item due to the flexibility and amazing sound quality that it produces. I'm currently using this as a center channel speaker in our home theatre and I could not be more pleased wit the clarity and quality that it puts out. Works great for our dedicated room for 7.1 system. [ Tim Mar 10, 2017 ]
They sound great and will look very good as LCR speakers mounted on the wall with my new 65 inch 4K TV [ Terry Aug 15, 2016 ]
3 questions already asked
It is cloth or a cloth-like material. Great speakers! [ Michael Mar 30, 2018 ]
Cloth [ John Mar 30, 2018 ]
Speaker connections are spring-loaded. Pin-type plugs would be fine, but unsure if all banana-type plugs would fit. [ Justin Jun 23, 2017 ]
Very well actually. They are not a true electrostatic speaker but their "Folded Motion" tweeters produce excellent detail and clarity that is very comparable to their ELS models. I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Jan 15, 2016 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
MartinLogan Motion® SLM XL
Multi-purpose home theater speaker
Definitive Technology Mythos Seven
Center channel speaker
Definitive Technology Mythos Ten
Multi-purpose home theater speaker
Definitive Technology Mythos XTR®-60 Wallspeaker
Ultra-thin multi-purpose home theater speaker