USA Spec iPod® Interface
Connects your iPod to select GM factory radios
Our take on the USA Spec iPod® Interface by Crutchfield's Tim Sprinkle
You can take it with you. Just because you've got a factory radio in your General Motors car, doesn't mean you have to leave your iPod (and the hours and hours of music it contains) at home. Just install USA SPEC's iPod interface it not only allows you to listen to all your favorite tunes through your car's speakers, it even lets you control song and playlist selections right from your radio. And with your iPhone® connected, you can even stream music from popular Internet services like PANDORA®, Livio Radio, iHeartRadio, and more.
Just mount the compact interface box in a hidden location in your vehicle, and connect the adapter cable to the CD changer input on your compatible GM factory radio. Plug your iPod into the interface you can control volume, source, song selection, and up to five different play lists right from the radio. Or switch to "Direct Mode" and use your iPod to access all your songlists. And the interface charges your iPod while it's connected.
Please enter your vehicle information or call an Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to find out if this adapter is compatible with your vehicle. As the iPod interface uses the CD changer port, any existing changer that you have must be disconnected.
Compatibility Note: Be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this iPod adapter.
- iPod connection adapter for select GM factory stereos
- manage the iPod via your radio's CD changer controls
- adjust volume, track up/down, fast forward/rewind
- use up to five playlists (select five favorites, or Auto Playlist will let you choose from the first five on your iPod)
- when iPhone is connected, you can stream tunes from popular Internet services like PANDORA®, Livo Radio, and iHeartRadio
- Dual Mode allows you to control everything via the iPod itself, giving you access to all playlists
- compatible with all iPod and iPod mini models equipped with a dock connector and iPod software update 2004-04-28, or higher
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- iPod-GM adapter
- 58" iPod interface cable (CB-PA85)
- 54" Adapter to GM radio cable
- 70" XM Data wire
- Owners manual
Install was very simple and unit works awesome with my iPod Touch. I'm using this in my 2006 Pontiac GrandPrix with the monsoon system. Sound quality seems almost better than a C.D. Definitly worth the money.
Jose, Apopka, FL
USA Spec iPod® Interface Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Adapter Type||iPod audio in w/ iPod control|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: This adapter allows an iPod with a dock connector to be connected to and controlled by the factory radio in select GM vehicles. Please check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.
CD Changer Port: Depending on the vehicle, the adapter may use the factory radio's CD Changer port or XM Radio port. In many cases this interface enables the iPod to coexist with the GM navigation system, CD changer, XM radio receiver, DVD system, and On-Star.
iPod Compatibility: The PA11-GM is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features when connected to a compatible GM factory radio (as of Oct 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Control Modes: The iPod interface adapter features the following control modes:
- Playlist Mode: You can create up to 5 favorite mobile playlists, then use your radio's CD changer controls to access and control your playlist.
- Direct Mode: Gives you complete control of your iPod while it is connected to the factory radio. Your iPod is not locked out while connected to the radio and you are able to manually access your complete iPod content. The Radio still can adjust song up/down random or shuffle play but you can manually control your iPod and select any playlist, genre or Artist of your choice.
- Hybrid Mode: Combines features of Direct Mode and Playlist Mode. You can create and access your favorite mobile playlist or directly access all your iPod content manually on your iPod. Your iPod displays song title information and iPod is not locked, so the iPod can be operated manually at all times.
App Streaming (in Direct Mode): Direct mode also lets you listen to the sound from your iPhone's downloaded music apps (such as Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, etc.) through your factory head unit & speakers. You will continue to control your iPhone's apps & view song/artist information from its touchscreen.
Note: Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need applicable music service accounts.
Playlist Names: In order for the adapter/factory radio to recognize a playlist, it should be named GM1... through GM5... Text can follow the GM name and number, such as GM4_artistname or GM3-jazz. For a given disc slot (1-5), if there is no playlist named GM followed by that number, that disc slot will play the first available playlist on the iPod (the second blank slot will play the second available playlist, etc).
Auxiliary Input: In addition to the iPod input on the PA11-GM there is an auxiliary input (RCA) for use with another source, such as a DVD system, satellite radio, etc. The aux input is accessed at disc 6 track 1 using the factory radio controls. This aux input can be used with or without the iPod connected. When using the aux input in the Playlist Mode, the Play All mode is moved to the Disc 5 slot and the GM5 custom playlist is lost.
Playlist Mode Controls: In Playlist Mode the iPod is controlled using the CD Changer commands on the factory radio. Use the Radio's Disc Select controls to access the 5 custom mobile playlists, the Play All mode, or the auxiliary input. Track select, forward and backward, works just like on a CD. Other commands include shuffle play, scan (plays first 10 seconds of each track), Fast Track Search (skips forward or backward 10 tracks), and Fast Forward/Fast Reverse within a song (available in shuffle mode only).
Battery Charge: The PA11-GM charges iPod battery when connected. Charging stops after 1 hour of non-use to prevent draining the vehicle's battery.
Pause: When a non-iPod source is selected on the radio (AM/FM/Cass/CD) the iPod pauses.
Resume: If the iPod is not disconnected after use, it will resume playing where it left off when you restart the vehicle.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.