Over-ear Bluetooth® wireless noise-canceling headphones (Silver)
| Watch a product review |
Sony WH-1000XM3 - Adaptive noise cancellation adjusts to your surroundings, movement, and even your altitude
Crutchfield: Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth noise-canceling headphones
Sony WH-1000XM3 - Sensors can detect whether you're running, walking, standing still, or riding in car
Our take on the Sony WH-1000XM3 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The stellar Sony WH-1000XM3 wireless noise-canceling headphones fold up neatly for travel.
Sony's best noise-cancelers are now — somehow — even better
Last year's Sony WH-1000XM2 wireless noise-canceling headphones are one of my go-to recommendations for travel and everyday use — I even took them on my own trip to New York City. I was so high on that model, I thought there was little room for improvement. Then Sony's latest flagship noise-cancelers, the WH-1000XM3, arrived on my desk. I've had very little time with these headphones as I write this, but wow, what a first impression.
This model keeps all the features that make the WH-1000XM2 so great, and adds these key updates:
- More comfortable: The previous version was already super-comfortable. This year's '1000XM3 is even a little lighter with a more form-fitting headband, and roomier inside the earcups.
- Better noise-cancellation thanks to a new processor chip from Sony. It easily knocked out the loud, constant hum of the industrial fans we have going up here on the top floor of Crutchfield HQ (our department's A/C unit is on the fritz). High-frequency noise-cancellation now works better, too. It helped silence the crowd of crickets and cicadas who were holding a meeting right beside my porch last night.
- Faster charging thanks to the new USB-C connection. You get 30 hours of wireless use (with noise-canceling) on a full charge, and recharging for 10 minutes gives you up to five hours of use.
- Redesigned drivers: These headphones use strong, ultra-light aluminum diaphragms that start and stop quickly. I've only begun to put them through their paces, but so far I like what I hear. Stronger bass response than the previous model, but not at the expense of the midrange clarity and high frequency detail.
Completely personalized noise cancellation
Sony has used adaptive noise cancellation for a while now, and I've always found the circuitry very effective. It takes your surroundings into account, then adjusts the level of noise cancellation. But their "next-gen" circuitry goes one step further.
The WH-1000XM3 includes special on-ear sensors that can detect whether you are moving or standing still — and even if you're wearing glasses or not. Another sensor monitors barometric pressure. So now Sony can serve up noise cancellation that's optimized to the height of your in-flight plane.
Plus, you can download Sony's Headphones Connect mobile app for direct control over what noises you let in or keep out.
A convenient way to hear others
You can even choose to let in important ambient noise or voices. Temporarily turn off the noise-canceling technology by simply placing your hand over the right earcup. Tiny built-in mics will pick up external sounds and voices.
When you need to hear others, just put your hand over the right earcup.
The right earcup also has a snappy touch-sensitive panel. You control music, volume, and calls with a simple tap or swipe of your finger.
Music plays wirelessly from your Bluetooth-equipped phone or portable player. Sony's included an advanced form of audio coding called "aptX-HD®," for improved sound quality with devices that support this technology.
And for the best in wireless sound, you can use these headphones together with a Sony High-res Walkman. This pairing takes advantage of Sony's LDAC technology, which allows the wireless signal to retain all the musical detail that gives a song personality.
- closed-back, over-the-ear headphones
- dynamic 40mm drivers with an aluminum-coated, Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm
- tuned for clear, detailed mids and highs with punchy bass
- Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphone
- aptX-HD® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming from compatible sources
- form-fitting headband with relaxed, breathable earcups
- generous cushioning on headband and earpads
Adaptive Noise Cancellation:
- includes Sony's sophisticated HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1 chip
- strengthens noise cancellation for human voices and other higher-frequency sounds
- keeps noise-cancelling circuitry from interfering with audio circuitry
- active noise cancellation circuitry adjusts to the level of external sound
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple® and Android™ lets you adjust settings
- customize the sound and manually choose the level of noise cancellation
- Adaptive Sound Control uses movement sensors to adapt noise cancellation
- detects whether you're running, walking, standing still, or riding in a car (app required)
- barometric pressure sensor
- optimizes noise-canceling and sound to your altitude when in flight
- dedicated earcup button summons Google Assistant or Siri® on your smartphone or tablet
- ask questions, dictate texts, and control music by voice
- available for Apple® and Android™
- must repurpose the on-ear Noise Cancellation button using the Headphone Connect app
- NFC-compatible for one-touch Bluetooth pairing with compatible devices
- earcup touch controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
- quickly turn off noise-canceling by covering the right earcup with your hand
- built-in microphone for making calls with a smartphone
- three-mic system filters out background noise for clearer calls
General Info and Specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 30 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation
- 10 minutes of recharging provides enough power for 5 hours of listening
- includes USB-C cable for charging
- 47" audio cable with 3.5mm plug for wired use
- airline adapter included for in-flight entertainment systems
- portable folding design with carrying case included
- frequency response: 4-40,000 Hz (wired), 20-40,000 Hz (wireless)
- weight: 9 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Better than XM2. Crutchfield also packed and delivered it well.
YEN-HENG, Logan, UT
Sony WH-1000XM3 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||20-40K Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 year|
|Labor Warranty||1 year|
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
Sony's WH-1000XM3 wireless noise-canceling headphones improve on their amazing WH-1000XM2 model by adding adaptive noise canceling, redesigned drivers, and other tweaks. The result is a...
Why did you buy this?
It had fantastic reviews through various online outlets. [ Michael Sep 24, 2018 ]
Tried them on at a store and liked them better than the Bose QC35 II in terms of style, noise-cancelling and back-end features. Time will tell if I made the correct choice for me. Hopefully the lack of physical command buttons will not be an issue. [ David Sep 24, 2018 ]
best noise cancelling headphones and great features [ Vinay Sep 24, 2018 ]
Crutchfield review. [ Hoa Sep 24, 2018 ]
For noise canceling and reviews of the sound quality. [ Aaron Sep 23, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Over-ear Bluetooth® wireless noise-canceling headphones
Bose® QuietComfort® 35 wireless headphones II
Beats by Dr. Dre® Studio3 Wireless
Over-ear noise-canceling Bluetooth® headphones with Apple® W1 chip
B&O PLAY Beoplay H9i by Bang & Olufsen
Wireless Bluetooth® headphones with noise cancellation