SXRD™ 4K Ultra HD projector (2016 model)
Our take on the Sony VPL-VW675ES by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Enjoy a big screen experience with 4K detail and stunning contrast and color, all in the comfort of home.
Taking 4K picture quality even higher
There are only a handful of true 4K Ultra HD home theater projectors available and Sony's VPL-VW675ES is one of the most impressive. It replaces the VPL-VW665ES, and other than a modest improvement in contrast ratio, it's virtually identical to the earlier model.
This projector is based on the same 4K Digital Cinema SXRD™ technology found in Sony's professional projectors. The VPL-VW675ES's 4K detail and HDR-enhanced contrast and color produce an extraordinary picture superior to what you'll see in most theaters.
HDR gives contrast and color a boost
Our eyes can see a much wider range of contrast and color than current TVs can display — even most 4K Ultra HD models. So, while 4K provides more pixels, TV makers are introducing new technologies to deliver "better" pixels that produce more vivid, colorful, and lifelike images.
The most important of these technologies is HDR (High Dynamic Range), which significantly expands the picture contrast range with both deeper blacks and brighter highlights. HDR gives colors more pop, too.
In addition to the growing amount of streamed HDR-encoded video content that's already available, Ultra HD Blu-ray players and discs are really taking off.
Larger-than-life images with Ultra HD detail
The VPL-VW675ES's 4K Ultra HD projection system has four times the detail of 1080p.
4K's improved picture detail is certainly visible on typical TV-sized screens, but Ultra HD really comes into its own on larger screens. When you're projecting onto a screen that's 100", 120" or even larger, the enhanced clarity and sense of depth and texture create an immersive viewing experience.
The amount of 4K content available is still limited, but that's not much of an issue for this projector. Sony has some of the best video processing available in a consumer projector. One of its biggest strengths is upscaling HD content to 4K quality. Sony calls this advanced processor 4K Reality Creation, and it's based on years of experience upscaling movies to 4K in thousands of theaters worldwide.
You'll see the benefits of Reality Creation on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. Sony included a cool feature for gamers, too: a special picture mode for gaming with very low input lag, for more responsive game play.
Go with the Motionflow™
The larger the image, the more challenging it is to maintain a smooth, clear picture during fast-paced onscreen action. Sony's Motionflow is one of the most sophisticated and refined blur-reduction technologies available, and the VPL-VW675ES has a version with some unique capabilities.
Several presets, ranging from aggressive to mild, make it easy to reduce motion blur and judder without introducing the dreaded "soap opera effect." Some of the most effective modes make use of "dark frame insertion," which avoids the image artifacts created by motion compensation processing, but also reduces light output by about 25%. So, if your setup requires the projector's maximum light output, you may want to select one of the other Motionflow options.
Flexible setup for rooms large and small
Professional installation is a popular choice for projectors in this price range, but Sony designed the VPL-VW675ES for easy setup. It features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony recommends a maximum screen size of 150", or 120" if you want to use the 3D feature. You'll also get amazing results with screens sized 100" or less.
Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on, you'll be tempted to leave them as-is. But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- Ultra High Definition home theater projector
- High Dynamic Range (HDR 10 and HLG)) for extremely wide contrast and high brightness levels with HDR content
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- Picture Position Memory makes it easy to watch movies in the ideal aspect ratio, including Cinemascope, without an anamorphic lens
- 3 SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- recommended image size: 60" to 150" (up to 120" for 3D)
- 4K Reality Creation Upscaling improves high-definition video sources to near-4K quality
- light output: 1800 ANSI lumens
- dynamic iris for outstanding picture contrast and black levels
- 350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (active 3D glasses sold separately)
- Motionflow™ blur reduction for improved motion clarity (120Hz refresh rate plus dark frame insertion)
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- Real Color Processing color management system
- 2.1X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- 2 HDMI 2.0a
- Ethernet port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- USB input for firmware updates
- detachable power cord
- 280-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 6000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 19-1/2"W x 7-7/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
What's in the Box:
- 4K Video front projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ24)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Manual
- Limited Warranty Sheet
- Free 3D Glasses Coupon
Sony VPL-VW675ES Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-6000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1800white/1800color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||No|
Advanced SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display): Advanced SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) panels with an ultra-fast response rate of 2.5 milliseconds minimize the space between pixels for a smoother, more detailed image. Consisting of a thin LCD layer backed with a highly reflective silicon plate, SXRD splits the white light of the lamp into different colors using mirrors and sends them to a red, green, and blue panel in 4K resolution. Light passes in and out of each panel, allowing more effective light blocking for exceptionally deep blacks.
Full Digital Cinema 4K: Sony's VPL-VW675ES SXRD 4K video projector offers Full Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI)-based 4096 x 2160 resolution, delivering a cinematic 4K experience in your home. With 4096 x 2160 resolution and pixels one quarter the size of those from traditional 1080p projectors, the Sony 4K projector delivers smooth, lifelike images with fewer artifacts, even on home theater screens up to 300" in 2D (or 150" in 3D). Now you can sit closer to the action, while jagged edges and revealed pixels are eliminated.
4K Reality Creation Upscaling: Dramatically improving your viewing experience, the projector's Reality Creation engine for 4K upscaling enhances both the "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Discs and high definition 1080p content including 3D video. Now you can watch all your favorite HD movies and television shows in 4K (3840 x 2160).
Dual HDMI 2.0a Inputs: The Sony VPL-VW675ES is fitted with two HDMI 2.0a inputs to connect your high-definition and ultra-high definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, or AV receiver. The projector also supports HDR sources, like Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. In addition, the HDMI inputs can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept 4K/60Hz, 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the projector's HDMI 2 input. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI 2.0a inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Sony projector's HDMI 2.0a inputs support HDR (High Dynamic Range) content. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTV and early generation 4K Ultra HDTV covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: The projector does not offer any analog video inputs.
Color Technologies: The Sony VPL-VW675ES incorporates Triluminos Color, Deep Color, and x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- TRILUMINOS Color: The Sony projector incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The projector also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The 4K projector also supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
280W High Pressure Lamp w/ Dynamic Lamp Control: The Sony VPL-VW675ES employs a 280W high pressure. Enjoy up to 6,000 hours of watch time (in low mode) from this long-lasting mercury lamp. This means fewer lamp swaps, simpler maintenance, and lower running costs. Sony's dynamic lamp control technology perfectly establishes vibrant, cinema-quality brightness levels on your favorite 2D or 3D movies and TV shows.
Note: When replacing the lamp, use Sony's LMP-H280 Projector Lamp (sold separately). The air filter is supplied with the LMP-H280 Projector Lamp.
High Brightness & Contrast: The video projector's Advanced Dynamic IRIS provides up to a 350,000:1 contrast ratio by optimizing both dark and bright scenes to produce deep black levels with incredible detail. The Sony VPL-VW675ES video projector outputs 1,800 lumens of white light and 1,800 lumens of color light (ANSI rating) for a bright and dynamic picture.
Motorized Lens: The Sony VPL-VW675ES features a F3.0-F4.0 lens with a focal length of 21.7mm to 44.7mm. Installing the VPL-VW675ES is easy with its motorized lens and wide throw distance range. The 2.06x powered zoom lens and a wide lens shift range provide further installation flexibility and remarkable performance in nearly every screening room. The Sony VPL-VW675ES video projector can produce a 4K image that is adjustable between 60" and 300". The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|100"||115" - 235"|
|120"||138" - 282"|
|150"||173" - 353"|
|200"||231" - 472"|
Note: Check out Sony's Projection Simulator App (for Apple iOS 6.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) to help you choose the right screen size for your preferred viewing distance and projector location, plus get other helpful installation tips.
Installation Adjustments: During the initial setup, or subsequent adjustment, these features help optimize performance and offer placement flexibility.
- Lens Shift: Lens Shift lets you raise, lower, or reposition the projected image without changing the angle relationship between the projector and the screen. It also reduces the need to physically move the projector horizontally or vertically to fit the image within the borders of the screen. This projector has a vertical lens shift of +85% -80% and a horizontal lens shift of +/-31%.
- Image Flip: Flips the image vertically or horizontally.
- Blanking: Allows you to adjust the displayable region within the four directions of the screen.
- Panel Alignment: This feature allows you to adjust the gaps in the color of characters or the picture.
Note: Sony does not offer Keystone correction for this projector because it degrades the image. When applying the digital process of keystone correction to an image it uses compression and scaling to manipulate the shape of the projected image so the number of individual pixels used is reduced, lowering the resolution and thus degrading the quality of the image projected.
Auto Calibration & Picture Position Memory: Over time, the aging of components like the lamp make changes to the look on the screen. A built in RGB sensor and software allow you to quickly adjust your picture to the way it looked when first installed. You can also store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.
Motionflow & True Cinema 24p: Whatever you're watching, you'll enjoy a silk-smooth on-screen look in fast-moving action sequences with Motionflow. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original frames by first comparing key visual factors on successive frames, then calculating the split second of missing action in the sequences. True Cinema 24p mode mimics true movie projection for cinema purists.
Active 3D Technology: The Sony VPL-VW675ES gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics. You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience in Ultra-HD 4K using Sony's active 3D glasses (TDG-BT500A, sold separately). Enjoy 3D content from your HDMI connected Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, or gaming console (all sold separately). When using the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the full high-definition image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an amazing 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown in high-definition, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail. You can adjust the following 3D settings.
- 3D Adjustment: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference, as well as set the image brightness when using the 3D display mode.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best
suited for the video signal received. Choose from the following:
- 1.85:1 Zoom: a 1.85:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands do not appear at the top and bottom of the screen
- 2.35:1 Zoom: a 2.35:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands at the top and bottom of the screen are as small as possible
- Normal: input video is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged to fill the screen; this mode is suitable for viewing 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video
- Stretch: displays video that has been squeezed to 1.33:1 (4:3) as 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio
- V Stretch: this is the most suitable mode for using a 2.35:1 screen to view 2.35:1 video with a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Squeeze: with this setting, 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video will be displayed in their correct aspect ratios when you use a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing
mode that best suits the type of video source or room conditions.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching
movies in a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture
quality that suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- Clear White: emphasizes vivid whites
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Color Correction: Adjusts Hue, Saturation or Brightness of the selected color - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Smooth Gradation: smoothes the gradation of the flat parts of images
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Input Lag Reduction: reduces the delay of the display for a video
Remote Control w/ HDMI-CEC: The supplied IR remote allows you to wirelessly control many of the projector's functions. In addition, HDMI Control allows the communication of control information among connected HDMI components in your system.
- By turning on or playing back the connected equipment, the projector will turn on and the input setting will switch to the terminal of the connected equipment automatically.
- By turning the power of the projector off, the power of the connected equipment will also turn off automatically.
- By changing the language setting of the projector, the language setting of the connected equipment will also change to the same language automatically.
Custom Installation Inputs: The Sony VPL-VW675ES features an IR remote input, dual 12V triggers, RS-232 port, and LAN jack for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- 12V Triggers: Use the 12-volt triggers outputs (3.5mm) to trigger on a motorized screen and other components.
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-VW675ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
- RJ-45: The RJ-45 (LAN) port supports network monitoring and control protocols (SDAP, SDCP, DDDP).
Mounting Options: The VPL-VW675ES can be placed on a table top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
Power Saving Modes: If no signal is input for 10 minutes, power is turned off automatically and the projector goes into standby mode.
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-VW675ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 26db during show. time. Plus, having a front air intake and exhaust allows the VPL-VW675ES to be positioned near a wall without having to worry about cooling issues.
USB Port (Software Updates Only): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Sony's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
SXRD™ 4K Ultra HD projector (2016 model)
SXRD™ 4K Ultra HD projector (2017 model)
SXRD™ 4K Ultra HD projector (2017 model)$7,999.99
SXRD™ 4K Ultra HD laser projector (2017 model)$24,999.99