Monitor Audio Silver 10
Floor-standing speaker (Gloss Black Lacquer)
Our take on the Monitor Audio Silver 10 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Sound that inspires
Monitor Audio's gorgeous Silver 10 delivers refined, room-filling sound with the kind of detail and spatial accuracy that will make it a hit in any home theater or stereo music system. This powerful three-way tower borrows advanced driver and cabinet construction technologies developed for Monitor Audio's sophisticated Gold family of speakers, giving you high-end sound at a more down-to-earth price. It's ideal for filling larger listening rooms with natural sounding vocals, tightly focused and textured instrumentals, and punchy, deep bass that can bring your favorite recordings to life.
Excellence by design
Every Silver series speaker incorporates Monitor Audio's gold dome tweeter for smooth, detailed highs. The domes are made from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Then this alloy is anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Thanks to their extremely low mass and high rigidity, these tweeters can play accurately far beyond the range of human hearing with little to no audible distortion, making them an excellent choice for high-resolution music listening.
The Silver 10's 3-way design incorporates two ultra-rigid 8" woofers and a separate 4" midrange driver for deep, powerful bass and clean, accurate midrange. Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, these drivers are strengthened and stiffened even further by adding a pattern of dimples to the surface of the cone. The dimples help resist bending and twisting that cause distortion, while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive cones.
Further refinements to ensure powerful performance
Meticulous engineering and many hours of listening go into each Silver series speaker. Monitor paid close attention to important design elements — both visible and hidden. At its heart, the Silver 10 uses a sophisticated crossover network with premium-grade components. Monitor also chose their Pureflow® Silver-plated OFC wire to make all internal cabling connections. Together, these refinement provide better driver integration and faster transients for smooth sound with real presence and immediacy.
Instead of conventional mounting screws, each driver is held in place using a single tensioned rod, or through-bolt, that threads into its back plate then secures to back of the cabinet. The bolt not only acts as a rigid cabinet brace to reduce box coloration, it also eliminates the need for traditional driver mounting hardware, effectively decoupling the driver and front baffle to eliminate another source of unwanted resonance. The lack of visible mounting hardware also adds to the overall look of elegance.
Monitor thoroughly engineered the Silver 10's bass-reflex ports, as well. This new type of port design utilizes straight, rifled grooves inside the port to accelerate air flow and reduce turbulence compared to conventional ports. This ability to move air in and out of the cabinet more quickly provides faster, more powerful bass and superior transient response.
A solid cabinet with a luxurious finish
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The Silver 10's enclosure is built solid to resist vibration that can color sound and reduce accuracy. The exterior comes clad in your choice of a beautifully finished black oak wood veneer, as well as high-gloss black lacquer. Base plinths are provided for added stability and a solid foundation for superior acoustics. Spikes are supplied to accommodate installing the speaker on carpeting, and non-slip polymer pads are also included to protect wood floors. An attractive "floating" magnetic grille that features invisible attachments maintains the Silver 10's clean, classic look whether you use it with the grille on or off.
- frequency response: 30-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- maximum RMS power handling: 250 watts
- recommended amplifier power: 80-200 watts
- impedance: 4 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 4" C-CAM midrange with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- dual 8" C-CAM RST woofers for powerful, low-distortion bass
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- bass reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for reduced turbulence and higher velocity airflow
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- detachable base stabilizers with included polymer pads and carpet spikes
- high-gloss black lacquer finish
- 11-7/16"W x 43-11/16"H x 14-3/16"D
- weight: 57.25 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- One foam port plug
- 4 Bolts
- 4 Spike feet
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
I first purchased the Wharfedale Reva 4 but sent them back for the Monitor Audio Silver 10 there is no comparison in the sound quality!! They almost sound as good as my Energy Veritas V-6.3's
Monitor Audio Silver 10 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||30-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Silver series 10 floorstanding loudspeaker employs a 3-way driver design with a single 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter, one 4" C-CAM/RST midrange driver and two 8" C-CAM/RST long-throw bass woofers. This 3-way configuration is optimized for greater accuracy over a critical frequency band to deliver superb midrange focus and precision, as well as extended bass and crystal clear high frequencies.
- Newly Designed Tweeter: A new C-CAM gold dome tweeter design with damped rear chamber and innovative dome venting technique improves clarity and widens operating bandwidth.
- Specially Designed Midrange Driver: A specially developed 4" mid-range driver with an "under-hung" voice coil and motor system ensures very low distortion.
- Dual Bass Drivers: Dual 8" bass drivers featuring a concave "dished" C-CAM cone profile allows for better damping and improved midbass clarity.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Silver series 10 floorstanding loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange Driver and Bass Woofers: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver series 10 floorstanding speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter, midrange driver, and bass woofers are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
MDF Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The Silver 10 employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. The tall, shallow cabinet and improved damping allows for greater room position flexibility. In addition, the tower speaker comes with an acoustically transparent cloth grille.
HiVe II Bass Reflex Port: The Silver 10 uses a bass reflex cabinet (dual rear firing ports) with Monitor Audio's HiVe II port design for greater efficiency and bigger bass response from a slim tower speaker. The HiVe II bass reflex port is shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Note: If the bass is too boomy, you can insert the included foam port plug into the speaker's lower rear firing port to tighten and lessen the bass.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring: The Silver 10 uses high quality crossovers (LF/MF=500Hz, MF/HF=2.7kHz) with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors. The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: The binding-post speaker terminals are color-coded (red+/black-) and are at floor-level for easy identification and hookup.
Base with Rubber or Spiked Feet: The Silver series 10 floorstanding speaker includes a base which will need to be installed or you can choose to use the speaker without the base. In addition, the Silver 10 comes with four feet assembly which can be used as rubber feet or spikes (the spikes simply unscrew from the feet assembly in order to use them as rubber feet). The spike feet are great for carpeted floors, while the rubber feet are recommended for hardwood and tile floors. Dimensions will vary based on base and foot configuration.
- with Base & Spikes: 11.4375" (w) x 43.6875" (h) x 14.1875" (d)
- with Base & Rubber Feet: 11.4375" (w) x 43.125" (h) x 14.1875" (d)
- with only Spikes (no base): 9.125" (w) x 42.75" (h) x 13.125" (d)
- with only Rubber Feet (no base): 9.125" (w) x 42.125" (h) x 13.125" (d)
Note: The feet thread into the bottom of the speaker or base, and are adjustable to level the speaker up with your floor.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
They are sold individually. [ Paul Nov 09, 2015 ] Staff
As of this posting; the $1,399 price is for the new stock (factory sealed) inventory. The model is also available in our Outlet stock (open box) inventory for 10% off: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_893SLV10GB/Monitor-Audio-Silver-10-Gloss-Black-Lacquer.html?cc=02&tp=185 The open box inventory is still covered by the full manufacturer's warranty (5 years) as well as our 60 day satisfaction guarantee period. I hope that helps! [ Ryan Nov 04, 2015 ] Staff
At this time we only have the Monitor Audio Silver 10 speakers available in Gloss Black or Black Oak finishes. It's possible we may update our line to include the Walnut finish in the future though, so please check back periodically for any updates. I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry Sep 13, 2016 ] Staff