Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845
Navigation receiver custom-fit replacement radio for select 2005-up Volkswagen vehicles
Our take on the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
Got a VW? Get a fine German receiver to go with it
It's hard to say what the connection is between Philadelphia and Germany, other than they're both famous for tasty meat sandwiches. If you've got a 2005-up Volkswagen, Blaupunkt's Philadelphia 845 multimedia navigation receiver can help guide you to the best cheesesteak or bratwurst around, even if you're nowhere near southeastern Pennsylvania or Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
The receiver fits right into the dash of select 2005-up Volkswagens, with no additional dash kit needed. You get a factory look with a slew of great features, including touchscreen navigation on a 7" display, Bluetooth® connectivity for hands-free calling and audio streaming, DVD playback, smartphone app access, and much more. You'll even be able to keep your factory steering wheel controls, climate controls, and park assist system. And a wealth of connections allows you to enjoy music from your thumb drive or iPod®, as well as songs or files on disc.
Looking for some brotherly love? Let this receiver guide the way
While it might not be able to help how friendly some other drivers might feel, you can trust the Philadelphia 845 to provide reliable directions across all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico, and it offers millions of points of interest when it's time for a pit stop. Lane guidance ensures you'll be in the correct position for your next turn, and you can see realistic views of many complicated intersections for easier navigation. Certain areas will be shown with 3D graphics for buildings, landmarks, elevated roads, and terrain so you can orient yourself more quickly. You'll also hear turn-by-turn directions with street names said out loud, plus audible alerts when you're going over the speed limit.
Bluetooth makes it easy to connect
The Philadelphia 845 offers Bluetooth connectivity by Parrot, an industry leader. You'll be able to make and take calls using your compatible phone through the stereo. You can communicate through the stereo's built-in microphone, or use the included external microphone lets your callers hear you clearly. Built-in A2DP technology allows you to stream music from your smartphone through this receiver.
See and hear things better
Two sets of A/V outputs let you send movies or other video content to external video monitors, so you can keep the whole crew happy when you're on a road trip. Dual-zone capability means you can send video from a DVD or another source to your rear-seat monitors while enjoying your favorite radio station or other music up front. You can use the 3-band parametric equalizer to shape your sound, and the full complement of preamp outputs includes a dedicated subwoofer output with low-pass filter and level control.
A/V options galore
You can plug your iPod® or iPhone® into the front or rear USB inputs, or jack a satellte radio or other device into one of the two available audio/video inputs. A dedicated rear USB input works wth your vehicle's rear-seat entertainment system, so your passengers can check out videos from a flash drive while you enjoy music up front.
If you're an Android™ phone user, you can control the music stored on your phone through the Philadelphia 845 by engaging the Blaupunkt Music Player app. CDs or DVDs are covered too — including discs loaded with MP3 or WMA files. Load some SD cards with your top road tunes and access them through the receiver's front card slot as well. And a dedicated input on the rear panel accommodates an optional rear-view camera to let you get in and out of tight spaces more easily.
Keep your steering wheel controls
The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 allows you to retain your factory steering wheel controls in every VW that it fits. You won't need to buy a special adapter to keep your controls — just attach the receiver's wiring harness normally and it'll take care of the rest.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 7" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- custom-fit receiver designed for select 2005-up Volkswagens
- internal amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth by Parrot for hands-free calling and audio streaming (through built-in or external microphone)
- remote control
- compatible with Blaupunkt Android Music Player app
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus millions of points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of landmarks, buildings, elevated roads, and terrain
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB, and SD memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 3-band parametric EQ with 8 presets, low-pass filter
- dual-zone A/V output
- inputs: front USB input and dual rear USB inputs (one dedicated to rear-seat entertainment); front 3.5mm input; rear composite A/V input; SD card slot; rear-view camera input
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer); two A/V outputs
- retains factory steering wheel audio controls (no adapter required)
- CAN interface enables factory climate controls and park assist feature in select vehicles
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Navigation receiver w/ built-in 7" monitor (15A fused installed)
- 8GB map microSD card (pre-installed)
- Volkswagen harness
- Pre-out harness
- Video-out harness
- Rear-camera/AV-in harness
- TMC harness (Europe only)
- GPS antenna (attached 16.5' cable terminated by an SMB connector)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 11.75' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector)
- Self-adhesive bracket
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery
- 19" AV cable (w/ a male 3.5mm connector on one end and female composite/RCA jacks on other end)
- 2 Brackets
- 4 Machine screws
- Operating Instructions
Love this radio. Installation was a breeze and operation is easy. Love that it looks factory but performs so much better.
Randy, Bremerton , WA
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2.0 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue/White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Built-in|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||No|
Vehicle Compatibility: Blaupunkt's new Philadelphia 845 multimedia navigation head unit is specifically designed for select 2005-up Volkswagen vehicles.
Note: This aftermarket receiver will not retain your vehicle's factory CD changer (if equipped).
7" Touchscreen TFT Display: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 has an integrated 7" TFT widescreen display with touchscreen controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos and viewing navigation maps. The screen has a resolution of 840 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The unit's touchscreen panel features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
- Brightness: You can adjust the brightness level of the touchscreen monitor's backlight.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select between a Full or Normal aspect ratio for the touchscreen display.
- Wallpaper: You can select from a variety of preset wallpapers for the background image of the head unit's menu screens. Or, you can select your image from an inserted SD-card.
- Display Off: When this feature is activated, the touchscreen display of the radio is completely switched off after 10 or 20 seconds without use.
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the unit's pink wire must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Your vehicle will need to be stopped and have the parking brake fully engaged to view video. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the unit's LCD touchscreen controls, the Philadelphia 845 also features hard-key controls on the left and right edge of the screen; including two 3-way rotary dials.
Start Up Time: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 has a start up time of approximately 35.7 seconds from off to the Map screen or 11.3 seconds from off to an AV source screen.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code to protect against theft. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Remote Control: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 offers support for your VW's steering wheel controls and comes with a handy IR remote control.
- Steering Wheel Controls: The Philadelphia 845 offers built-in steering wheel control compatibility through the included vehicle harness.
- IR Remote: In addition, the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation receiver.
iGO Primo & TomTom Navigation: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 provides map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada with millions of point-of-interests from TomTom; all loaded onto a pre-installed 8GB microSD-card. The Philadelphia 845's integrated iGo Primo navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna features a magnetic base and can be mounted inside or outside of the vehicle.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 22.1 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It only took 13.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (a magenta line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: You can continue to listen to a selected source while viewing the on-screen navigation map.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
Audible Alerts: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphic directions, the Philadelphia 845 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions with the announcement of street names. You can select from a variety of audible languages (including English, Spanish, and French). The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The Philadelphia 845 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: While navigating, other sources may be selected and listened to; such as AM/FM Tuner, CD, USB, iPod, & Bluetooth. The unit will mute the audio of the other source during navigation voice-prompts.
Historical Traffic: The Philadelphia 845 features TomTom's Historical Traffic database of more than 9 trillion anonymously-collected data points, providing analysis to predict driving behavior along your route. You'll be able to determine the fastest route and accurate ETA at different times of the day. You'll also be able to analyze traffic congestion, travel times, and delays at different times of the day along your route.
Note: This is not a real-time traffic information system. This is only a collection of historical traffic data that has happened in the past that will further help the navigation system to give you the best route and most accurate ETA possible.
Destinations & Location: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 provides you with your location status, as well as offers you a variety of ways to search for a destination.
- Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for Car Repair, Health Agencies, Police, and Gas Stations around your area.
- Find Destination: From the "Find" menu, you can select
your destination by entering an address or selecting a place of interest, a location on the map or one of your Favorite
destinations. You can also look up your recent destinations from Smart
History, enter a coordinate, or use the location saved in a photo. iGO primo
offers you several ways of choosing your destination:
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Enter a full address or a part of an address; for example a street name without a house number or the names of two intersecting streets. Or enter ZIP code only; this way you do not need to select the name of the city and the search for street names might be faster as well.
- POIs: Search millions of POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, along route, near your destination, or around a city.
- Favorites: You can save your favorite addresses (like home & work) and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling.
- History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggests these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Combined Search: This function allows you to search addresses, Places, Favorite and recent destinations by name and keywords in one unified environment.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Note: All navigation functions can be accessed with or without the parking brake engaged.
Route Calculation: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Quick Menu: The Quick menu is a selection of controls and functions that are frequently needed during navigation; it can be opened directly from the Map screen. The content of the Quick Menu is fully customizable.
Route Preview: The navigation head unit lets you preview your route's turn-by-turn instructions and simulate travel along that projected route.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip logs can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes - Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Off-Road Navigation: The difference between the on-road and off-road modes is the navigation itself. When you are on the Map screen with an off-road route, your position and heading is not aligned with the nearest road and there is no turn by turn navigation; just a recommended direction. You see a straight line drawn between your current position and the next destination to reach. The Turn Preview field in the top left corner shows an arrow with your bearing and the distance of the next destination.
Disc Compatibility: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The Philadelphia 845 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs.
- Off Eject w/ Auto Reload: You can eject a disc with the unit off. You cannot insert a disc with the unit off. If a disc is left in the ejected position for 10 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded (only when unit is powered on).
- Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Front-Panel SD-Card Slot: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 is equipped with a front-panel SD-card slot (hidden behind pull-out tab) for playback of music and video files stored on a SD/SDHC memory card (up to 32GB).
USB Ports: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover and two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports attached to the rear chassis via 6" pigtails. The USB ports enable connection and control of many types of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrives. All three USB ports support audio, photo, and video playback. The USB port labeled, "USB RSE", is only designed to playback audio/video content on a connected external monitor. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support newer MTP and AOA enabled Android smartphones including HoneyComb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, and newer.
Compressed Media Playback: This unit can play back audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD/SDHC memory card.
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||1,900 total files/450 total folders|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1/2), WMA tag|
Built-in Bluetooth (powered by Parrot): The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (2.1+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Philadelphia 845. Up to 5 devices can be paired, but only one can be used at a time. All Bluetooth functions are available with or without your vehicle's parking brake engaged.
- Hands-Free Communication (HFP/PBAB): The Philadelphia 845
allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your
Bluetooth-enabled iPhone, Android smartphone, or other Bluetooth-enabled
mobile phone. You'll be able to answer incoming calls, as well as dial
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD touchscreen and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers; your music audio will be muted. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen controls or set the unit up to answer incoming calls automatically. The head unit's integrated front-panel microphone or external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Blaupunkt in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the car stereo's touchscreen controls. You can also search for contact names (up to 1,000) in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Philadelphia 845 and then make your call. In addition, the head unit stores a list of previously missed, received, and dialed calls.
- Wireless Audio Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): The Philadelphia 845 allows you to wirelessly play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, or other Bluetooth-enabled devices using a Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP connection. You can control basic playback functions of your music on your Bluetooth-enabled device from the Philadelphia 845's touchscreen monitor. Playback functions include Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. This unit will also display song/artist information from stored music and music apps.
Note: The Philadelphia 845 is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone and many Android smartphones. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845. The unit does not retain your factory Bluetooth, nor will any Bluetooth function buttons on the OEM steering wheel control the Bluetooth functions of this receiver.
Android Music Player: With the Android Music Player app from Google Play, MP3/WMA music files stored on your Bluetooth-paired Android mobile device (2.3+) can be divided into certain categories with the help of ID3 information. This allows you to quickly and conveniently select and play back music tracks across different categories from the Bluapunkt Philadelphia 845.
iPod/iPhone Compatible: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845's front-panel USB port can be used to connect your iPod/iPhone to the head unit, via the 30-pin or lightning connector-to-USB cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone for audio playback. The unit's rear-panel USB port and rear-panel 3.5mm input can be used to connect a 30-pin iPod/iPhone for video playback (requires proprietary cable - see accessories tab).
- Audio Playback: The front-panel USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The Blaupunkt head unit supports audio playback of stored music and music apps on your iPod or iPhone.
- Video Playback: The rear-panel USB port and rear-panel 3.5mm AV input allows audio and video playback from your 30-pin Apple iPod/iPhone. This connection requires a proprietary 30-pin to AV cable (sold separately - see accessories tabl).
- Content Navigation: You can search your iPod/iPhone's stored music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. You can search your iPod/iPhone's video library by Movies, Music Videos, TV shows, Video poodcats, or Rented movies. Many iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection. However, Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked.
- Song/Artist Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, Album title, and Album Art.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 1/10/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
22 Watt x 4 Channel Amp: The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 is equipped with a 22 watt RMS x 4 channel amplifier (50 watts Peak x 4 channels).
5CH/2V Preamp Outputs + LPF: The Philadelphia 845 features front, rear and subwoofer 2.0-volt preamp outputs. The stereo front & rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable; the mono-subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the subwoofer preamp-output; you can select from 80Hz, 120Hz, or 160Hz.
EQ: The Philadelphia 845 features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Techno, Rock, Classic, Jazz, Optimal, Flat, Pop, User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency/Level).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-14 to +14|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-14 to +14|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-14 to +14|
Source Level & Dynamic Bass Boost: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from 0-12. The Dynamic Bass Boost feature enhances low frequencies.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner (with US/Euro-Tuning): You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing. The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845's AM/FM tuner offers manual, direct, seek/scan, & preset tuning.
- Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 3 FM banks and 2 AM banks. You can store 6 radio stations in each bank, giving you 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically.
- Direct Tuning: You can enter a station's frequency directly from the head unit's touchscreen keypad (0-9).
- Scanning: You can use the scan function to play all the receivable AM/FM stations of the current band for a few seconds.
- Tuning Sensitivity: The seek tuning sensitivity decides whether the automatic station seek tuning finds only strong stations or also weaker stations that may be noisy.
Dual A/V Inputs: The navigation receiver is fitted with two audio/video inputs. The unit features a front-panel 3.5mm audio/video input for connecting an external game console or portable MP3 player. The head unit also features a composite video/stereo audio RCA input on the rear-panel for connecting an external A/V source, such as a Blu-ray player or mobile ATSC tuner.
Audio/Video Output (w/ Dual Zone): The Philadelphia 845 is equipped with two composite video outputs and one set of RCA audio outputs to connect external monitors and a headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can select from Disc, SD-card, USB RSE, or AV-IN for the rear source. Since a different source can be displayed on the external monitor than on the navigation head unit, it is possible to view images and movies on an external monitor while driving.
Rear Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera (sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The green/white wire must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Origional look and fit for my 2011 VW Jetta and of course the sale price was great. [ Roberto May 28, 2017 ]
hopefully a plug and play update for the current radio that i have now [ Greg May 17, 2017 ]
Factory OEM [ Humberto May 17, 2017 ]
Wanted to step up from the factory base radio in my recently purchased 2012 VW GTI 2-door. This unit is made to fit perfectly in my car (without a special installation kit), does everything I want/need and more, and I couldn't beat Crutchfield's price and advice. [ Timothy May 11, 2017 ]
it is a great radio and its an exact fit for my car [ eamon May 06, 2017 ]
Direct fit, w/not trim adapter needed. Always been a fan of Blaupunkt [ Scott May 04, 2017 ]
Factory fit/look and can bus capability sold this one for me. [ SID Apr 28, 2017 ]
I wanted a radio that would look OEM, not like some weird Kenwood/JVC that doesn't belong in my VW. I wanted GPS and bluetooth audio, which I didn't have. [ Roman Apr 06, 2017 ]
Compatible with my Volkswagen [ Jay Mar 28, 2017 ]
Installed this unit in my daughter's 2009 VW Jetta. It cannot look or fit any better than it does, it looks completely stock and sounds amazing. Map performance is top notch too...! LOVE this unit...!!! [ David Mar 24, 2017 ]
fits my 2010 jetta [ R Mar 23, 2017 ]
OEM fitment, navigation [ Glenn Mar 05, 2017 ]
Perfect factory look and sound quality. [ JAY Feb 26, 2017 ]
I have a 2007 vw jetta and want an OEM+ look. [ Amanda Feb 18, 2017 ]
perfect fit [ Greg Feb 06, 2017 ]
Designed for the vw. [ Mike Jan 30, 2017 ]
was recommended by garage that it fit car model and was best fit to do a plug and replace for my dead VW radio. To replace with VW brand was double in price and I get Navigation now with this product. Great buy and can't wait to get it installed. [ Dan Jan 12, 2017 ]
custom fit to vehicle [ Andrew Jan 10, 2017 ]
OEM appearance, upgrade over older VW head unit. [ JUSTIN Dec 29, 2016 ]
To keep the original factory navigation look in my 2008 Eos [ Grover Dec 21, 2016 ]
This System should fit nicely in my VW Passat, giving it a factory equipped look, while enhancing the worn and peeled factory radio!!! [ Luis Dec 20, 2016 ]
Custom Fit for VW Jetta [ Nathan Dec 19, 2016 ]
direct fit with no adapters [ L Dec 08, 2016 ]
Plug and play installation. Excellent build quality. [ Victor C. Mar 10, 2016 ]
I wanted an upgraded system for my VW Eos with Bluetooth but I did not want it to look like an "After-Market" with the trim pieces, etc. This is a custom replacement that looks very similar to the original but with all the updated features. [ Tamela Mar 01, 2016 ]
31 questions already asked
Glenn, be aware that the 845 does not have satellite radio capabilities, which I never subscribed to with my old VW stock radio. Also, the electrical diagram (in English) in the very back of the 845's owner's manual is instrumental during installation. Regards, again. Tim [ Timothy May 23, 2017 ]
Sorry, no. I just installed an 845 in a 2012 GTI and it fit like a glove. If Crutchfield indicates it will fit in a 2017 Jetta then you should have no problems (your advisor will be able to help you with any questions and assist if you need help). You will need the set of Bojo tools to pry off your radio trim ring without damaging your dash. The Bojo tools also are great for prying off the right end panel of your dash to place the GPS antenna (magnetic base or use double-sided sticky tape for aluminum mounting) there out of sight. By the way, the unit's internal bluetooth microphone works well if you don't want to hassle with "stringing" the exterior microphone. Regards, Tim [ Timothy May 23, 2017 ]
I did not change the code and it worked as soon as I plugged it in. [ STEVE May 16, 2017 ]
I called tech support and they told me the code is 8717, call tech support and they will be gladly to help you. [ Claus May 15, 2017 ]
The Factory code for your previous radio is specific to that radio head unit. When you install the 845 head unit, you will need to do two things to set a security code specific to that head unit. Until these are done, you will get a code error when you type it in. (these are general descriptions...not actual directions) 1. Activate the security setting. 2. Program the security code to what you want it to be. *** be sure to follow the instructions carefully in the manual. If you get locked out, it becomes a big deal to fix*** [ CUSTOMER May 15, 2017 ]
Not sure exactly what you are asking. The Blaupunkt 845 does not come with a 4 pin code programmed, but you have the option to create one for the unit if you so desire. The Blaupunkt should just operate after you install it into your car. The VW factory radio does have a 4 pin code that can be retrieved from a VW dealer (if you do not have it), this way if you plan to re-install the factory unit or plan to sell it so the next person can use the VW factory radio. [ Richard May 15, 2017 ]
0000 did work for me, but I believe in the settings you can actually specify the code. Press "SETUP" button and select the Bluetooth tab, then scroll down to the last setting (I think). Try that? [ Roman May 15, 2017 ]
The unit will connect to the factory VW XM wiring harness, which goes to the factory XM antenna. You will need an additional adaptor to connect the factory antenna to the blaupunkt head unit. After that, the XM tuner will be in the actual blaupunkt head unit. Does your car have a factory back up camera ? You will need another adaptor to connect the factory back up camera wiring to th new head unit. I have noticed that the resolution of the back up camera on my 2015 Passat is not as good as the factory head unit. I think this is either a setting that I need to adjust in the 845 head unit, or it is I. The actual adaptor used to connect the factory wiring to the 845 unit. Also, the navigation is pretty dumb on this unit, even compared to my Android smartphone, so I never use the navigation on the 845. That is another major disappointment. Also, there is no support offered for this from blaupunkt, as the unit has been discontinued. I would suggest another brand. In the 80's, blaupunkt was a top tier brand. Not so today. [ William M. May 08, 2017 ]
It doesn't work with the factory Sirius XM tuner. You will loose XM functions completely with this radio. [ ALONZO C May 06, 2017 ]
The feature grid says... sat ready=no [ Howard May 05, 2017 ]
Although my 2006 rabbit had xm on the factory unit, this does not. It does have Bluetooth so I just Pandora or Spotify to it from my phone. [ Howard May 05, 2017 ]
No it does not. [ Brooks May 05, 2017 ]
it doesn't work with satellite radio at all, and it's slow compared to other units I've had. I'm about to the point of replacing it in my jetta [ Amanda May 05, 2017 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny May 03, 2017 ] Staff
Hi. Unfortunately, push button voice recognition in my B7 VW Passat does not work with this unit. The car's speaker and microphone work great through the unit, but you have to initiate/answer your call via the unit or your Bluetooth-connected phone. [ GREG Apr 26, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Mar 27, 2017 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. Crutchfield does not work with/recommend any specific installers. You can do an online search for radio installers in your area and it looks like there are many to choose from. We do offer an InstallCard for purchase here at Cruchfield. They use a network of installers across the country. You can check out the InstallCard link below. Hope this helps. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_597421018/InstallCard-In-dash-Navigation.html [ Kenny Mar 21, 2017 ] Staff
2 answers I have also run into the issue with the navigation system giving errors (Like Ryan speaks about in his January 3rd 2017 review) and not working. I am currently awaiting a third radio, in hopes that this 845 does not have the issues the previous two did. My error messages were about the MobileNavigator.exe shutting down from errors and then the second radio gave errors about the application failing to start and resetting factory defaults. No matter what I did, answer differently, reset, etc. it still continues to reboot and the navigation does not work. Anyone discover solutions? [ Matt Mar 17, 2017 ]
Mine reacted similarly, it turned out to be a corrupted micro sd that holds the navigation program. Received a replacement from Rockford Fosgate when they were still able to help. No new problems afterwards. [ ROBERT Mar 20, 2017 ]
Hi. I don't know if my problem is applicable but it all revolved around the MicroSD not being matched to the unit. Initially, I had the same error messages and the nav app refused to boot. Just like you, I tried everything to get it work including several resets. Crutchfield replaced the unit. When the new one arrived it was obvious that the MicroSD was a match. No problems with the Nav App at all. If the the Nav App is the only problem with the unit, then the only thing I can guess is happening is you may have received an open box unit as a replacement and the MicroSD card was somehow corrupted or switched out. With this third unit, if the Nav App doesn't work immediately ship it back and let customer service know you need a brand new replacement. [ GREG Mar 17, 2017 ]
Thanks for your question. This is a single disc CD player. To my knowledge there are no longer any aftermarket receivers that accept more than one disc at a time. Hope this helps. [ Kenny Feb 24, 2017 ] Staff
Good Morning, Louis; On my 1st radio the GPS quit working after a month of so. Crutchfield sent me a replacement that the GPS didn't work from the get go. Crutchfield would've taken the replacement back, but at the time they didn't have any more. Since I liked the unit so much (it looked like factory original) I contacted Blaupunkt directly. I had to send my GPS card directly to Blaupunkt to get the GPS working. I couldn't do it on line due to security protocols. They returned it and it now works fine. My assumption is the maps were up to date. at that time. I believe that the card may be updated on line, but my computer's security wouldn't allow it! BTW it's a great radio and GPS! Hope this helps, Frank [ Frank Jan 12, 2017 ]
Louis, the one I just bought has a map that was last updated in Q3 2015, which appears to be the most recent one. When you buy it they give you a 30 guarantee that you can update to the most recent map if a new one comes out. Otherwise it's about $60 to download a new map. The maps are much more comprehensive than the ones for the VW RNS 310 stock unit that I replaced, and it's a LOT faster to calculate and recalculate routes. Not sure if it supports live traffic feed in the US. I have not figured that out yet. It was very easy to install (spend a few bucks for the pry/pop panel tools if you don't already have them) and the feature set is huge. I miss having Sirius XM but it's not critical to me. There are certainly enough inputs to add anything you want. Good luck! [ JUSTIN Jan 12, 2017 ]
I replaced a basic VW CD/Radio in a 2013 Beetle 2.5L Coupe so I'm not sure about a factory amp. The system sounds fantastic as a stand alone unit. [ Leslie Jan 06, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jan 04, 2017 ] Staff
My Passat did not have Bluetooth. I am able to use the radios Bluetooth now. The system should be able to link to the steering wheel controls. My car do not have factory steering wheel controls. So adding this systems gave me Bluetooth capability and GPS system. I can also play my pandora via Bluetooth, etc. Hope this helps! [ Luis Jan 08, 2017 ]
Once paired, you can select the Blaupunkt Bluetooth connection and use that, but it doesn't piggyback on the factory module. In other words, both will be active, but you can assign a default on your phone and it will use your preferred BT connection. [ Brian Jan 04, 2017 ]
This unit has its own bluetooth system and will not work with the factory system. [ Jonathan Jan 03, 2017 ]
I have it with GTI with Dynaudio and it works perfectly. Install is plug and play. [ JUSTIN Jan 12, 2017 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny Jan 05, 2017 ] Staff
The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 does not support Android Auto or Apple Carplay, and as such, will not mirror your phone's display on the radio screen when plugged in via USB. [ Joseph Dec 09, 2016 ]
No, it doesn't support mirroring. it also does not have apple play. My nav subsystem failed after a few months too. Stay away if you have not purchased yet. [ Joel Dec 09, 2016 ]
The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 does not have Android Auto built-in and wouldn't allow you to display your Android phone on screen via USB connection. If you would like to explore other options that have Android Auto, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. I hope that helps! [ Larry Dec 11, 2016 ] Staff
This item does not have CarPlay. [ Jeff Mar 22, 2016 ] Staff
I will add that FM reception is quite good, but it is not HD. With stations degrading their FM signals these days, I notice a reduction in high frequency sound quality, but when using a digital source - SD card, CD, the sound quality is excellent and much better than the Premium Sound my car came with. The local PBS stations sound the best, but then they aren't really music oriented. There is a plug to accept an external mic and you can turn off the internal mic via the setup. I purchased an aftermarket enfig factory style mic, but have not installed it because the internal mic seems to work well. [ STEVE May 16, 2017 ]
There isn't any way to add HD Radio to this model. Depending on the year and model of your Volkswagen, it may be possible to retain the factory Bluetooth mic--you can enter your vehicle's information on the "OutfitMyCar" application to find out what options we have for your particular car: http://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx?lp=%2fCar%2foutfitmycar%2fcar.aspx I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry Feb 17, 2016 ] Staff
I put this on a 2011 Tiguan, which displays the climate control on the OEM head unit. This HU does display the climate control. The display look much better than the factory unit. My understanding is if your car didn't come with the climate control display, this unit won't display the climate control. [ Jay Dec 24, 2016 ]
i have seen no climate interface at all. [ Joel Dec 09, 2016 ]
I'm not sure what the integration with the climate controls is for but I can confirm that it works with the steering wheel controls and driver display screen on my NA Jetta. [ Brian Feb 08, 2016 ]
My Blaupunkt works perfectly with the controls for my 2015 Passat. BUT I do not have climate controls, so unsure about that. [ JOHN E Feb 06, 2016 ]
You can check to see if this will fit your vehicle by using our Outfit My Car tool: http://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx For additional details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Kenny Feb 02, 2016 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Oct 17, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Sep 28, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Sep 01, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Aug 08, 2015 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Aug 02, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Jul 27, 2015 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Greg Jul 21, 2015 ] Staff
This radio has its own GPS antenna so it doesn't matter if the car originally had one. Since it is designed to plus in to factory harness, if it is recommended you get the steering wheel control adapter you may not need it. Keep it boxed up and if you don't need it (some models do but I'm not sure) you can return it for refund. I did not need it for my 2010 Jetta TDi wagon. [ DOUG Jul 21, 2015 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Greg Jul 20, 2015 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Jun 30, 2015 ] Staff
it does not support satellite, you will loose that function; otherwise the cam interfacing and steering wheel controls actually works [ Joel Dec 09, 2016 ]
yes better then oem [ SABRINA Jul 01, 2015 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 28, 2015 ] Staff