60" 1080p 3D LED-LCD HDTV with Wi-Fi®
Item # 15860W850B | MFR # KDL-60W850B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KDL-60W850B by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Superior picture and sound from this 60" TV
Every time you switch on the KDL-60W850B you'll be reminded of Sony's decades of experience building the highest-performing TVs available. Whether it's a riveting high-speed car chase, or a golf ball rolling across a green, everything looks crisp, clear, and detailed. In other words, lifelike.
This TV offers big sound, as well. Viewed from the side, the TV's cabinet resembles a wedge, with the thicker portion at the bottom. This deeper cabinet allows for bigger speakers and more robust sound than you get with super-skinny LED TVs. And Sony's ClearAudio+ processing lets you hear dialogue and effects with greater clarity and separation.
Enhanced detail, less noise and motion blur
Sony TVs have long been known for their powerful video processing. The X-Reality™ Pro chip enhances picture quality by analyzing and correcting images, resulting in impressively natural detail and color. You'll see the benefits of X-Reality Pro on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. X-Reality Pro enhances detail and reduces video noise in a sophisticated way. It actually draws on a database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display a startlingly lifelike picture.
Sports fans love the way Sony's Motionflow XR 480 technology produces clear, lifelike motion for that at-the-game feeling. It's a finely tuned combination of 120Hz refresh rate, backlight scanning, and some additional video processing. And Motionflow's benefits go beyond sports viewing. If you've ever wanted to get rid of that jerky, distracting image judder you see during horizontal or vertical camera pans in movies, Motionflow can do it.
Watching more on the web
More and more people these days are turning to the web for day-to-day viewing, so a TV's Internet smarts are important. The KDL-60W850B includes built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network, home to thousands of movies, shows, games and more. You can also stream movies instantly from Netflix® or listen to Pandora® Internet radio through the TV. Built-in Wi-Fi® lets you enjoy entertainment pulled from the web or a PC on your home network without connecting an Ethernet cable. Wirelessly streamed HD video can look surprisingly good.
- 60" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, matte black bezel and Wedge cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's active glasses (2 pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- Dynamic Edge LED backlight with frame dimming for excellent picture contrast
- Motionflow XR 480 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- X-Reality PRO video processing optimizes picture texture, outline, contrast and color
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (subscription required for some services)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- screen mirroring send content wirelessly from Miracast-compatible devices to the TV
- Skype-ready (requires Sony camera, sold separately)
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- built-in speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 2 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 22-1/2"W with stand legs in narrow position)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 54"W x 31-3/8"H x 4-1/8"D (33-1/8"H x 12-11/16"D on stand)
- weight: 76.5 lbs. with stand; 74.3 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 60" LED-LCD TV
- 2 Feet
- Remote control (RM-YD102)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 3D glasses (TDG-BT400A)
- IR blaster
- 4 Wall-mount adapters
- Four M5 x 16mm screws (lock-/flat-washers)
- 2 Wire-clamps
- Operating Instructions
- Stand assembly instructions
- Active 3D Glasses instructions
- 3D Glasses battery note
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet
- "Attention" note
- End User License Agreement
- US Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Child Safety booklet
Sony KDL-60W850B Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Dynamic Edge LED Backlight w/ Frame Dimming Technology: Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with frame dimming delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes so they pop with vibrant color; all in a slimmer, more attractive design. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, lighting is boosted in just the right areas for greater contrast and a more realistic picture.
X-Reality PRO Engine: Sony's X-Reality PRO Engine lets you enjoy a vivid, lifelike picture experience by analyzing each scene pixel-by-pixel so you see sharpened images, amazing contrast, and fine detail. Blu-ray Disc movies, cable TV, satellite TV, and even Web videos each place unique demands on the processing circuits of a TV. The X-Reality PRO Engine helps get the best results from these different video sources by analyzing texture, outline, contrast, and color reproduction. The X-Reality PRO Engine will then analyze each scene pixel-by-pixel across 3-dimensions (Width, Height, and Time) and uses sophisticated pattern matching to optimize the picture, ensuring you always get the best images possible.
MotionFlow XR 480: Sony's MotionFlow XR 480 technology combines 120 frames-per-second with an advanced backlight blinking system to simulate a 480 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 480 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
- True Cinema: Images, such as a movie created in 24fps are reproduced at the original frame rate.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes.
1080p Resolution: The Sony KDL-W850B series television has a HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p). All video signals from standard definition and high definition sources are displayed at 1920 x 1080. The Sony KDL-W850B series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The KDL-W850B series TV is fitted with four HDMI inputs to connect your high-definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, and AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video (480i only) input instead.
- Composite Video: The composite video input will support 480i video signals only.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MHL Compatible: The HDMI 1 input is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 1 (MHL) input using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Sony TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 1 input. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Active 3D Technology: The Sony KDL-W850B series TV gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics. You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience in Full HD 1080p using the included active 3D glasses (two pair included). Enjoy 3D content from the TV's built-in network apps, or your HDMI connected Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, or gaming console. When using the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the Full HD 1080p image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an amazing 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown at Full HD resolution, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail. You can adjust the following 3D settings.
- 3D Adjustment: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference, as well as set the image brightness when using the 3D display mode.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
|Auto Wide|| |
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Adjustments: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
- Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Cinema: 1 (suitable for a theater-like environment), 2 (for basic home use).
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Animation: Optimizes picture quality for viewing animations.
- Game: Standard (provides standard picture suitable for games), Original (adjust the game picture according to your preference).
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: Standard (optimizes picture quality for viewing photographs), Original (enhances the visual warmth of photographs), Vivid (enhances contrast, sharpness, color of photographs), Custom: (adjustment of detailed settings for viewing photographs and storing your preferred settings).
- Custom: Backlight (adjust brightness of backlight), Picture (adjusts picture contrasts), Brightness (adjusts brightness of picture), Color (adjusts color intensity), Hue (adjusts green and red tones), Color Temperature (adjusts the whiteness of the picture), and Sharpness (adjusts sharpness of picture).
- Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Resolution: The Resolution function adjusts detail and clarity of the picture.
- Reality Creation: Adjusts the detail and noise from a realistic picture.
- Edge & Detail Enhancer: Enhances the edges & details of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Smooth Gradation: Creates smooth gradations on flat surfaces of the picture.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Digital Noise Reduction: The LED-LCD TV provides
Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) to help eliminate noise and create a clear
- MPEG Noise Reduction: MPEG Noise Reduction enhances detail in whatever you're watching with meticulous processing. It even helps clean up video from DVD, digital broadcasts, USB and PC sources so the picture looks pristine and vivid.
- Dot Noise Reduction: Dot Noise Reduction reduces the dot noise level of video images. ff.
- Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows
for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
- Film & Sports Modes: The TV offers unique viewing modes
for enjoying movies and live sports events.
- CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content.
- Football Mode: You can obtain more realistic picture and audio, as though you are watching from the stands of the stadium.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program or external analog input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. You cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from the component video or HDMI inputs in the main window and a TV program or external analog input in the sub window. You can switch audio between the two images.
Wedged-Shape Design w/ Long Duct Speaker: The new wedged-shape design of Sony LED-LCD TV saves space, while enhancing sound through larger speaker capacity. Hear clear, full-range sound that comes from a long duct inside the high-capacity speaker design. Audio frequencies resonate accurately through its extended pipe-like structure, to deliver pure, solid bass. Unlike conventional TVs that don't focus on optimal audio features, this TV comes with an enhanced speaker to optimize overall home entertainment.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
ClearAudio+: Hear music, dialog, and surround effects with greater clarity and separation, whatever you're watching. ClearAudio+ fine tunes TV sound for an immersive, emotionally enriching experience through the following audio features; S-Force Front Surround, ClearPhase, Voice Zoom, & Sound Booster.
- S-Force Front Surround: An immersive listening experience with realistic clear, powerful 360 surround sound
- Voice Zoom: Clearer dialog and speech, even with distracting background noise.
- ClearPhase: Produces smoother and more balanced low, mid and high frequency.
- Sound Booster: Enhances both treble & bass in order to reproduce a more dynamic sound.
Sound Modes: The TV offers six preset sound modes - Standard, Music, Cinema, Game, Sports, and Compressed Audio. If the Sound Mode is set to Cinema, Sports, Music or Game, a surround sound technology developed by Sony reproduces a virtual surround sound field. The TV is also equipped with an adjustable 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz) for further fine-tuning.
Volume Adjustment: The Sony TV employs Advanced Auto Volume & Volume Offset, so your sources are always playing at the correct volume level. The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements; it can be set to Normal, Night, or Off. Volume Offset lets you adjust the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and USB input can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 2 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA.
Optional Wireless Sub: You can use Sony's optional wireless subwoofer (SWF-BR100, sold separately) to extend the bass response of the TV's sound. Simply connect the wireless transceiver supplied with the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer to the TV's analog audio output and USB port.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony KDL-W850B series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony KDL-W850B series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
WiFi Direct + MiraCast: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported. Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Sony Entertainment Network: Once the Sony LED-LCD TV has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the television via Bravia Internet Video, the Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store lets you download additional apps. You can even stay connected with social networking apps. Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content (over 200 streaming services).
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Video Unlimited, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, Flixster, and more. You can also listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; Music Unlimited, Pandora, Slacker, Berliner Philharmoniker, NPR, and more.
- Social Viewing: Social Viewing allows you to use your social network services (like Facebook & Twitter) while watching content on your TV. Enjoy chatting with your friends and check what others are saying about the show from on-screen comments. You can even enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room through this Sony TV. Simply attach the Sony compact microphone/camera (sold separately) and see your friends on the big screen. Or, you can use your MHL-connected mobile phone as your camera.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos, games, weather, news, world clocks, and social networks.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Bravia Entertainment Network content requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
Media Streaming: The Sony LED-LCD TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB (MSC) and Network (DLNA) devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/WAV music files, MPEG/MP4/AVCHD/AVI/MKV/MOV video files, JPEG/MPO/RAW photo files.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Dual USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features dual USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. The tested TV contained software version PKG2.066AAA (as of 4/10/2014). Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Home Menu: The Home Menu can be displayed by pressing the HOME button on the remote control. Various categories are displayed at the top of the Home Menu. You can pick a category and play back content by selecting a thumbnail from that category.
- Channel: You can view thumbnails of live and future broadcasts and recorded content.
- Movies: You can watch movies from online movie service providers, connected USB devices, or your home network.
- Photos: You can view photos from online service providers, connected USB devices, or your home network.
- Music: You can play back music content from online music service providers, connected USB devices, or your home network.
- Apps: You can launch a variety applications. Thumbnails of featured applications and your favorite applications are displayed. You can also choose to view all applications.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Content Information Search: This feature searches for information about the TV program you are watching, or the currently playing music title/artist name on your TV, from an Internet database.
- Related Search: When the TV is connected to the Internet, you can search for related content while watching various content on the TV.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Scene Select: You can access the following Scene Select modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Closed Captions + Input/Channel Label: The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit analog channel labels to your preference.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Wireless Remote Control w/ IR Blaster: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remote can also be used to operate HDMI-CEC and Bravia Sync components that are connected to the TV via HDMI. In addition, you can program the remote through the TV's menu to operate your satellite/cable box and home theater receiver, using the included IR blaster. The remote offers a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account on the Sony TV.
Note: An optional Touchpad Remote (sold separately) is available from Sony.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
TV SideView Remote App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the Sony KDL-W850B series TV and browse its content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download the this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Mounting Feet: The Sony TV comes supplied with two mounting feet which allow the television to be placed on an AV stand or inside a cabinet. The mounting feet must be attached using the supplied hardware. There are two mounting options for the feet which varies the footprint width; the feet can be mounted with a footprint width of 22.5" or 54". The television weighs 76.5 lbs with the stand attached. This TV does not swivel.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has 4 threaded screw inserts with a spacing of 300mm (h) x 300mm (v), and comes with 4 wall-mount adapters. These adapters must be installed into the 4 threaded screw inserts in order to attach a wall-mount bracket to the TV; this is due to the wedge-shape design of the TV and the space needed for the TV's rear-panel jacks. The wall-mount adapters will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 74.3 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC power cord sits out 0.4375" from the back of the TV. The AC plug sits 1.375" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
I was able to wall mount my unit without too much difficulty. The TV comes with four mounting points which have Phillips head dummy screws in place, easy to remove. It also includes four hex bar spacers to install after these screws are removed. The spacers have male threaded (5mmx0.8) ends (which go back in the vacated screw holes) and female threaded holes (6mmx1.0) for mating with the wall bracket. These spacers are two different lengths. You want the short ones in the bottom two TV holes and the longer ones in the top two. This is designed to provide a mounting plane which is parallel to the screen since the TV itself is wider at the bottom than the top. I bought a mounting bracket from Crutchfield (Sanus VLT5-B1) which is essentially two pieces. One mounts on the TV directly to the four mounting posts/spacers described above. Height adjustment is achieved by picking a different hole along the vertical struts of the bracket for the bottom two screws (the top screws fit in continuous slots). Unfortunately, the mounting screws supplied for attaching this bracket are considerably too long for the application. You'll need to supply your own shorter ones. I used 6mmx1.0, 15mm long hex heads with flat and split (locking) washers. Once this half of the bracket is in place, you need to find two adjacent studs (usually 16" apart, could be 24") in your mounting wall to mount the other half. Four 3-1/2" long lag bolts are provided for this purpose and are more than strong enough. Be sure to use a level when drilling the pilot holes. Although there is leveling adjustment on the bracket, it has a very limited range. You need to get it pretty close, and a little care will get it dead nuts. Lift the TV and the two bracket halves slip easily into place and click shut. Don't worry if the TV is not centered on the wall portion of the bracket. Anywhere along its length is fine, it can take the moment. Voila! [ RICK Jun 30, 2014 ]
I did not wall mount---Did not see instructions-- [ RON L Jun 30, 2014 ]
Hi Erik - I had purchased a universal TV mounting bracket and when I first looked at the back of the TV, I had the same concern. But, the mounting holes are there and they worked great! I love the TV and mounting it was no problem at all! Gary [ GARY J Jun 30, 2014 ]