Creative ZEN V Plus 4GB
MP3/photo/video clip player (Black/blue)
Item # 053VP4GBB | MFR # 70PF2072001Y1
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Creative ZEN V Plus 4GB by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Creative's ZEN V Plus packs lots of on-the-go entertainment options in an MP3 player not much larger than a credit card. Its four-gigabyte memory lets you store two and half days' worth of near-CD-quality music. Or you can use some of that memory to hold your favorite photos, album art even video clips, like those you take with a digital camera. An FM tuner lets you pull in your favorite stations.
Customizable color screen
The player's 1-1/2" screen displays your photos and video clips in crisp, colorful detail. Switch its orientation from vertical to horizontal, or vice versa, for optimal viewing. Plus, you can select one of your favorite stored photos to use as the background image.
An intuitive joystick button lets you control the ZEN V Plus and navigate quickly through its menus. Activate the built-in voice recorder with a single button-push. A high-speed USB interface lets you quickly transfer music from your PC and recharge the player's built-in battery.
More music choices
The ZEN V Plus works with major online music subscription services such as Napster To Go, Rhapsody, and URGE, giving you access to millions of songs. It also plays tunes purchased from most music download sites, like Yahoo! Music. And an analog audio input lets you record directly from your CD player or other music sources.
- 4GB embedded memory holds approximately:
- 133 hours of music at 64 Kbps
- 66 hours at 128 Kbps
- other bitrates also supported
- plays MP3, WMA, protected WMA, and WAV files
- displays JPEG photos
- plays transcoded video clips
- PlaysForSure compatibility plays downloaded music and video files from compatible sources and subscription services, like Napster, Yahoo! Music, and URGE
- 1-1/2" color OLED screen
- FM tuner with 32 presets
- repeat and random play
- 8 EQ settings
- built-in microphone for voice recording
- analog line input for transferring music directly from another source without a computer (cable included)
- high-speed USB interface (cable included)
- earbud headphones
- Creative MediaSource software
- carry pouch
- up to 15 hours playback with included lithium ion rechargeable battery
- weight: 1.55 oz. (includes built-in battery)
- 1-3/4"W x 2-11/16"H x 5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Windows® XP (Service Pack 1 or higher)
- USB port (high-speed USB recommended)
- Intel® Pentium® III 1GHz or AMD® Duron 1GHz or better processor
- 256 MB RAM
- 170MB free hard drive space
What's in the Box:
- Black Zen V Plus 4GB Digital Music/Video Player
- Black draw string bag
- Black Stereo earbud headphones with attached 4' Cord (mini-plug connector)
- 21.5" USB cable (USB Type A connector on one end and Mini-B Type 2.0 connector on the other)
- 23.5" Mini-jack cable (2.5mm male connector on one end and a 3.5mm male connector on other end)
- Black nylon strap
- Installation CD
- Instruction booklet
- Accessories brochure
- "Enabling Volume Restriction" sheet
- "Digital Media Showcase" booklet
- "Creative cares about your hearing" note
- "Creative Care Protection Plan" note
Creative ZEN V Plus 4GB Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Product Overview: The Creative ZenV Plus 4GB is a portable music, video and photo player with a 4GB built-in hard drive. Compatible music formats include MP3, WMA, and WAV. It will display still pictures in the JPEG (JPG) format and also supports transcoded video format. The player is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket yet can store up to 2,000 songs (based on 4 minutes, 64 kbps WMA). It has a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini-jack on the top of the player for use with stereo headphones.
LCD Screen: The ZenV Plus 4GB features a 1.5" OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) full-color screen display with adjustable size and brightness settings.
Transferring Content: You can acquire content for your player from several sources.
- Audio Tracks: Audio tracks can be ripped from personal audio CDs and home studio recordings, or purchased from online music stores off your computer.
- Pictures: Photos encoded from digital cameras, webcams or scanned from printed photos can be used.
- ZENcast Content: ZENcast content can be downloaded from the Internet using ZENcast Organizer (software supplied with Installation CD).
- Video: Download video-clips from the Internet or captured from your digital camera.
Supplied Accessories: Your ZenV Plus 4GB comes with the following accessories.
- Earphones: ear-buds feature dynamic bass response and enhanced audio clarity
- Pouch: provides protection for your ZenV Plus 4GB
- Neckstrap: convenient neck strap lets you easily carry your ZenV Plus 4GB anywhere
- Line-in Cable: with your player's Line-in cable, you can directly encode or "rip" music to your player, instead of ripping music onto your computer first and then transferring into your player.
- USB Cable: allows transfer from your computer and charging for the built-in battery
- Installation CD: contains software to help transfer and organize your music and photos
Connections: The ZenV Plus 4GB features the following connections.
- Built-in Microphone: make instant recordings with this built-in microphone
- Line In Jack: uses a female 2.5mm mini-jack input to connect external audio sources
- Headphone Jack: uses a female 3.5mm mini-jack output to connect your earphones
- USB 2.0 Port: To charge your player's battery or transfer music, pictures and data files, connect one end of the supplied USB cable to this port, and the other end of the USB cable to your computer's USB port.
Controls: Your ZenV Plus 4GB offers the following control functions.
- Power Switch: slider switch to turn power "On" and "Off".
- Lock: slide the power switch to the Lock position to disable the player's controls
- Volume +/- Buttons: press to increase or decrease the volume
- Record Button: starts or stops recording
- Play/Pause Button: starts, pauses and resumes playback
- Back/Options Button: press and hold button to display the Options menu, press button to return to previous menu function
- 5-Way Navigation Joystick: use this
button for playing music or menu functions
- Music Functions: use to move to previous or next track or to move forward or backward within a track
- Menu Functions: use to scroll through and select items in the menu
- Reset Button: use a pin to press this button if the player does not respond
Power Requirements: The ZenV Plus 4GB uses a built-in, rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that gives you up to 15 hours of continuous playtime. The battery is charged by the USB connection when connected to your computer or when connected to an optional AC adapter/charger (part number # 053ZENAD2, sold separately).
Main Menu: The ZenV Plus 4GB's menu offers the following options:
- Music Library: Play music from created Playlists, Albums, Artists, Genres, All Tracks, Recordings, Bookmarks or DJ feature.
- Now Playing: The now Playing screen
appears when you turn on your ZenV Plus 4GB or when you select the feature from
the main menu. The Now Playing features allows you to do the following.
- You can view you player's settings and battery status icons.
- You can access the Selected Music screen of your list of music tracks pre-selected for playback.
- Photos: This option allows you to select and view your still photos.
- Video: This option allows you to select and view you downloaded videos.
- FM Radio: This option allows you to access the built-in FM radio and select up to 32 FM presets.
- Extras: This option includes settings for the Microphone and Line-in connections as well as the time and date setting. This feature also allows you to sync with and view Microsoft Outlook Contacts, Calendar and Tasks as well a access the Removable Disk function.
- System: Customize your player's settings such as the audio and photo settings with the System option.
Sync Manager: You can use the Sync Manager to update and synchronize music, pictures, contacts, calendar and tasks between the ZenV Plus 4GB and your computer.
Information Screen: You can view the player's information such as disk space and the total number of tracks recorded in the Information screen.
Removable Disk Mode: You can use the player to store music, pictures and data files, or to transfer files from one computer to another. Use your player's Removable Disk mode if you need to transfer and manage data between the player and computers that do not have Creative Media Explorer
Built-In Microphone: You can capture memos, thoughts and lectures in mono-sound with the unit's built-in microphone.
Line-In Recording: You can directly encode or rip music to this player from your external audio source via the unit's 2.5mm Line-input connection using the supplied mini-jack cable, instead of ripping music on your computer first and then transferring it to your player.
Display Contrast: You can adjust the display brightness from 10 to 100% in increments of 10.
Display Timer: You can select between 5, 10, 15, or 30 seconds for the screen to turn off after you have made your selection. When the screen turns off, you can press any button on your player to reactivate the screen.
Idle Sleep Timer: This feature allow you to specify how long your ZenV Plus 4GB remains inactive before it automatically shuts down. You can choose between Off, 5, 15, or 30 minutes.
Snooze Timer: This function allows you to specify a period of time before the ZenV Plus 4GB automatically turns off. You can choose between Off, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Alarm: You can set a one time or daily alarm time for the unit to play any song or the radio.
Theme: You can select between the following display screen designs - Fire, Jungle, Dawn, Romantic, Peace, Cool, Earth or Vibrant.
Configure Menu: This feature allows you to add or remove functions that can be viewed from the main menu.
Transferring Music Files: Several audio selections have been preloaded to the player's memory to allow you to listen to music immediately. You can download additional music tracks from Internet music sites or "rip" them from audio CDs. Music files must be encoded to MP3, WMA, WAV, or ZENcast file formats, then transferred to the player with the supplied software. Audio tracks can be organized by Playlists, Albums, Artists and Genres.
AudibleReady: The player is also AudibleReady. To manage Audible files, you need to install AudibleManager. After downloading Audible files to the unit you can search Audible content by album, artist, genre or title. Audible files are currently available to selected regions only.
PlaysForSure: This unit is compatible with PlayForSure devices and music services.
Y Music Unlimited To Go: This player is also compatible with Yahoo Music Unlimited To Go music service. For a few extra bucks you can use this service to fill your player with music from a selection of over 2 million songs. You have access to all the new releases and can transfer songs, albums and playlists.
Playlists: Any combination of songs on the player can be organized into a playlist. Once created, a playlist is named for easy recall.
DJ: The ZenV Plus 4GB offers the following playback options through the DJ function.
- Album of the day: Plays a randomly selected album
- Random Play All: Randomly chooses from all songs
- Most Popular: Plays the most played songs
- Rarely Heard: Plays the least played songs
Lookup Artist: If you like the artist of the song you are currently playing, you can do a quick search for other titles by that same artist.
Play Mode: This feature allows you to shuffle or repeat your list of selected tracks by selecting the following Play Modes.
- Normal: plays your selected tracks in sequential order
- Repeat Track: repeats the current track
- Repeat All: repeats all selected tracks
- Shuffle: plays all selected tracks in random order, once only.
- Shuffle Repeat: plays and repeats all selected tracks in random order
- Track Once: stops playing after the current track ends
Bookmarks: You can insert bookmarks during playback. A bookmark helps you mark a point within a track, so you return to it a later time.
Search Within A Track: You can search for a particular point within a track and start playing from that point. For example, if you want to start playback one minute into a music track, you can pinpoint or "seek" to the one minute position and then play from there.
Audio Settings: The ZenV Plus 4GB offers the following audio adjustments.
- EQ: EQ is the player's collection of
equalizer settings, which you can use to enhance your music. You can select
preset equalizer or customized settings to suit the genre or style of your
music, or customize your own setting.
- Preset EQ Settings: include Acoustic, Classical, Disco, Jazz, New Age, Pop, Rock, and Vocal.
- Custom 5-band EQ: allows you to adjust +/-12dB at 80 Hz, 250 Hz, 1 kHz, 4 kHz, and 13 kHz
- Bass Boost: enhances bass output
- Smart Volume: keeps volume constant, regardless of recording level
- Restrict Volume: restricts the maximum volume of the player
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio: Up to 92 DB
- Channel Separation: Up to 65 dB
- THD: <0.05%
- Weight: 1.55 oz
Transferring Still Images: Several still images have been preloaded onto the unit for your added convenience. You can download additional digital still images in a JPEG format onto the ZenV Plus 4GB via the supplied USB cable from your PC.
Capacity: Thousands of still photos can be stored on the ZenV Plus 4GB.
Viewing Pictures: You can use your computer to sort pictures by date or alphabetically for quicker searches. You can also view album art seen in Windows Media Player. You can set up a slideshow so you can share memories with friends and family. This player only displays pictures that are in the JPEG (JPG) format.
Viewing Options: You can select from the following viewing options to playback your still images.
- Screen Size: You can select from two
- Fit Screen: Resizes your picture to best fit the player's screen.
- Full Screen: Resizes your picture to fill the player's screen. This is the default setting.
- Slide Timer: You can adjust the Slideshow timer from 3, 5, 10 or 15 seconds between picture changes.
Wallpaper: You can use one of the preloaded photos or one of your favorite stored photos as wallpaper for your ZenV Plus 4GB.
Transferring Video: In order to convert your video-clips to a format supported by the ZenV Plus 4GB you must launch the supplied software, Creative Media Explorer, and click either "Convert Video" or use the drag-and-drop method in the Creative Media Explorer software to transfer and convert the video automatically. The unit only supports transcoded video format.
Forward and Reverse: Move the 5-way Navigation Joystick right or left to go forward or backward in a video.
Recently Browsed: This feature plays back the last video that was previously viewed.
Built-In FM Tuner: The ZenV Plus 4GB features a built-in FM tuner. You can store up to 32 of your favorite FM radio stations in its presets. The FM tuner is capable of mono and stereo output.
Autoscan: The Autoscan feature scans through available FM channels and automatically saves them as your presets.
Manual Scan: You can also fine tune or manually scan for a desired radio station.
Included Software: The supplied Installation CD contains the following applications:
- Creative ZENcast Organizer: With Creative ZENcast Organizer, you can
subscribe to your favorite ZENcast channels, and download and transfer
ZENcast media files to your player. Creative ZENcast Organizer is your
center for playing, managing, and subscribing to your favorite ZENcast
channels. With ZENcast Organizer, you can:
- quickly access ZENcast channels of your favorite topics from ZENcast Directory and ZENcast.com
- subscribe to your favorite ZENcast channels
- schedule regular updates of your ZENcast channel subscriptions
- transfer downloaded ZENcast media files to your player
- synchronize ZENcast content with your player
- Creative Media Explorer: Use Creative Media Explorer if:
- you are new to digital music and videos, and want to transfer them from your CDs or computer to your player
- you want to convert, synchronize, and organize audio and video files
- you prefer to manage your player in the familiar "Windows Explorer" environment.
- Creative MediaSource Player/Organizer:
Use the full-featured Creative MediaSource Player/Organizer if:
- you require additional features such as recording, automatic playlist generation, and audio format conversion
- you want to manage a music library on your computer.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: For reading files
- Instruction Manual: Detailed instructions for the ZenV Plus player
- Warranty information: Warranty details for the ZenV Plus player
Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Microsoft Windows XP (service pack 1 or higher) / XP 64-bit
- CPU: Intel Pentium III 1GHz or AMD Duron 1GHz
- RAM: 256 MB
- Free Hard Disk Space: 170 MB
- Interface: USB 1.1 (2.0 recommended for high speed transfer)
Firmware Upgrades: Occasionally, firmware upgrades for the ZenV 4GB are available from the Creative Labs website and can be downloaded to your player via the USB port.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.