Philips Hue White and Color Starter Kit
4-Pack of E26 bulbs with hub
Our take on the Philips Hue White and Color Starter Kit by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A smart home lighting starter kit
Want to dip a toe in the waters of smart home lighting? This pack of four bulbs with control hub will let you get a taste of what you can do, by letting you choose what temperature of white light you want, or step it up a notch by choosing from 16 million color options.
They're app-controlled, so you can use your smartphone or tablet to dim lights, set up a schedule, or turn them off and on. They seem even smarter when you realize how energy-efficient they are — each bulb lasts approximately 25,000 hours, so you can go years without having to replace one.
These E26 bulbs — which share a standard form factor with Philips Hue A19 bulbs — work and play well with other Philips Hue products. Once your system is in place, you'll control your new smart bulbs through the free Philips Hue app (Apple®, Android™).
Custom lighting for any mood
Hue bulbs offer a wide range of adjustable white light. Choose a comforting, warm yellow light in the evening as you wind down, or motivating, bright white light in the morning. When friends come over, tap into the millions of different colors this bulb can deliver. Paint your walls with a vivid light show, or sync your lights to music, games, or movies for an immersive experience.
Part of an expandable Hue system
You can have up to 50 bulbs in your Hue smart lighting system. Mix and match these bulbs along with other Philips Hue smart lighting products to customize your personal lighting system.
- kit includes four E26 Hue smart LED light bulbs and a wireless bridge
- remotely control your bulbs through the free Philips Hue app for Apple® and Android™
- compatible with:
- system is expandable up to 50 Hue bulbs and 12 lighting accessories
- Ethernet cable and power adapter included
Philips Hue Light bulbs:
- standard E26 bulb size fits most common light fixtures (compatible with A19 bulb sockets)
- uses your existing light fixtures — simply replace the bulbs
- choose from 16 million colors to match any mood or event
- produces high-quality white light
- adjustable brightness up to 806 lumens
- adjustable color temperature up to 6500K
- instant-on means no waiting for bulb to warm up
- rated at 10 watts (roughly equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb)
- rated for approximately 25,000 hours of use
- connects to your router for wireless control of your smart lighting system
- controls up to 50 Hue bulbs and 12 lighting accessories
- wireless protocol: Zigbee Light Link
- enables voice control of your home automation setup via Siri
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- schedule lights to come on when you're away
- sync lights with movies and music for immersive experiences
- 3-1/2"W x 3-1/2"W x 1"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Bridge (version 2.1)
- 4 White and Color Ambiance A19 bulbs
- AC adapter with attached 5' DC output cord (DC output: 5V 5W)
- 2-Prong US power adapter plug (non-polarized)
- 39" Ethernet cable (RJ45 plugs on each end)
- Get Started Guide
Overview: The Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit (#471960) consists of four Wi-Fi controllable LED white and color ambiance bulbs, and a wireless bridge. With these items, and the free Philips Hue app, you can control the lights wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. The Philips Personal Wireless Lighting System allows you to set up light schedules, and control the lights when you're away from home. You can even change the color of the lights to match your mood. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge.
Light Bulbs: The four LED white and color ambiance bulbs included in this Starter Kit can be used in standard light sockets (Edison screw base). They have an A19 form factor, and are 2.4" at widest point and 4.3" tall. The bulbs are rated at 10 watts and 800 lumens, and have an estimated nominal lifetime of 25,000 hours. Inside the bulb is a wireless interface that allows you to change the color temperature of the light from warm to cool daylight (2000K to 6500K), and choose from up to 16-million colors. The internal software is automatically upgradable when connected to the Philips Hue bridge. The bulbs have a beam angle of 160° (±20°), and instant 100% light output at startup.
Note: The bulbs are not suitable for use with external dimmers, photo controls, occupancy sensors, or timing devices, and are designed for indoor use only.
Bridge: The Hue Bridge 2.1 is the heart of the Philips Hue system, and can be wall-mounted or placed on a desktop. It connects to your router via the included Ethernet cable, and communicates wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet and the Hue lighting products. It operates on the 2.4GHz band (2400-2483.5 MHz), and Zigbee Light link protocol, and comes with a AC adapter. Dimensions: Width 3.521", Height 3.515", Depth 1.063".
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet. Through the Hue app, and with the right Hue products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps required.)
Friends of Hue: Philips Hue home lighting products work with many third-party devices to make it simpler to operate. Philips Hue works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Apple HomeKit, allowing you to control your lights with your voice. The lights also work with some Logitech Harmony remote controls, Samsung SmartThings, and Nest Thermostats and other products. In addition, Philips Hue lighting products can be triggered by certain events through the IFTTT (If This Then That) app.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
im interested in converting my house into a Smart Home eventually. [ ANTONIO Jan 17, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
They are the latest generation and the standard E26 bulb size, yes. [ Ryan Jan 29, 2018 ] Staff