Powered home theater sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
From Sony: Multi-Room & Wireless Surround Sound Speakers
Our take on the Sony HT-NT5 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Big sound from a sleek, low-profile sound bar
Take a look at the distinct, super-compact design of the Sony HT-NT5 sound bar. You can lay it flat so it fits under your big-screen TV's pedestal, or flip it over for flush wall-mounting. It's so thin, it's hard to believe that it's packed with six built-in speakers and powerful amplifiers to drive them. Couple that with the big bass provided by the low-profile wireless subwoofer and you have a system that sounds as bold as it looks.
Plus, the HT-NT5 works well with both TV sound and music. You'll get clear dialogue for shows, movies, and sports. Sony sound bars also do a great job simulating surround sound. (I found the experience impressive on the Sony CT-CT790, which only has two built-in drivers.) And when it's time to listen to music, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth makes it easy to play tunes wirelessly.
Many ways to connect
You can hook up several components directly to the sound bar thanks to three HDMI inputs and one output. All of them are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting 4K video sources. There's also an optical digital audio and a 3.5mm minijack input.
Great-sounding step into multi-room music
After you connect your sound bar, you should download Sony's free SongPAL™ app to your iOS® or Android™ device. The app gives you wireless access to the music stored on your phoe, Pandora® Internet radio, and even music stored on a DLNA-connected server. If you have a Spotify® premium account, Spotify Connect gives you full access to your playlists and albums.
The SongPAL app also gives you control over other compatible Sony speakers and components, like the SRS-ZR5 or SRS-ZR7 wireless speakers. You control them all from the same phone or tablet. A future firmware update will let you use two ZR5s or ZR7s as wireless surround speakers. Plus you can take them to other rooms and play different songs, or the same thing throughout the house. (TV sound cannot be sent to other rooms via SongPAL.)
Two-way Bluetooth lets you receive and send sound
Built-in Bluetooth gives you another way to play music wirelessly from your phone – but it also serves another purpose. As a Bluetooth transmitter, the Sony HT-NT5 can send sound from your movies or shows to a pair of Bluetooth headphones. This helps with late night binge-watching. You can catch all the dialogue and sound effects without waking everyone up.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The HT-NT5 is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- six built-in speakers
- 270 watts total power (25W x 2 top-firing tweeters, 35W x 2 front-firing tweeters, and 75W x 2 full-range speakers)
- slim, "lay flat" design is ideal for wall-mounting beneath a flat-panel TV or placing on a TV stand
- automatically adjusts sound output for wall or stand placement
- built-in Wi-Fi for music streaming and wireless multi-room audio with compatible Sony speakers (sold separately)
- two-way Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity
- allows wireless music playback from Bluetooth-compatible smartphones, tablets, music players, and computers
- sends audio from sound bar to Bluetooth-compatible headphones or speakers
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming to and from compatible sources
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device; PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, and 2.8 MHz DSD files
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- 1 59" HDMI cable included
- HDMI connections support 3D/4K video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- optical digital audio input
- 3.5mm analog minijack aux input
- wall-mount brackets and screws included
- 42-5/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 5"D
- weight: 6.7 lbs.
- 130-watt (peak) built-in amplifier
- front-firing 6-3/8" cone woofer
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- stands vertically or sits horizontally for flexible placement options
- 15-1/8"W x 7-7/16"H x 15-1/4"D (vertical)
- weight: 7.8 lbs.
- allows pass-through of 4K content and HDR content
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- built-in Dolby® and DTS® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- Sony's S-Force® PRO Front Surround technology offers an immersive listening experience
- side-panel USB port to play music, movies, and images from external hard drives and thumb drives
- plays AAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD (.dff and .dfs files), FLAC, MP3, WMA, and WAV audio file formats
- free downloadable Sony SongPAL app (available from iTunes Store and Google Play) helps connect the sound bar to your wireless network and controls music playback, and volume
- also gives you control over other compatible Sony speakers as part of a multi-room music system
- Google Cast Audio lets you wirelessly play music from your download library or online music services like Pandora®, iHeartRadio®, and TuneIn radio
- now called Chromecast built-in
- Spotify Connect compatible
- subwoofer tone and volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- "voice" control raises dialogue levels
- sound modes for music, movies, sports, video games, and portable music devices
- includes 59" HDMI cable
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- Remote control (RMT-AH240U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Grille clips
- 2 Screws (lock-/flat-washers attached)
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- "How To Set Up the SongPal App" instructions
- "Updating The Software" note
- "Attaching the grille frame when mounting on a wall" note
- Limited Warranty Information (US only)
- Consumer Warranty Information (Canada only)
- Online Product Registration
Sony HT-NT5 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.5625" Dome (4)|
|Woofer||2.375" Cone (2)|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.375" Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||7.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||270|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||130|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-5/8H x42-1/2W x 4-1/2D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.875 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15H x 7-1/2W x 15-5/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||17.8125 lbs|
Soundbar Speaker System: The Sony HT-NT5 Home Theater System is a two-piece surround sound system which includes an amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer. This two-piece home theater system brings simplicity and performance together by pairing an self-amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer to create a surround sound experience in a compact and easy to install package. The HT-NT5 home theater system features HDMI 2.0a connectivity, Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD decoding, along with S-Force Front Surround 3D; plus built-in Bluetooth & wired or WiFi network connectivity. The HT-NT5 includes an IR remote control and offers a free app for your Apple iOS or Android device for wireless operation of the system.
Active Soundbar: The included active soundbar utilizes a fine-tuned, 3-way speaker system that can envelop a wide listening area. A 2.375" cone woofer and two 0.5625" soft-dome tweeters work together on each side of the soundbar speaker for full frequency, room-filling audio. Each driver is powered by a discrete S-Master HX Digital Amplifier (Front Tweeters = 35W x 2ch / Top Tweeters = 25W x 2ch / Angled Woofers = 75W x 2ch) for high-quality sound.
Wireless Powered Sub: The HT-NT5 includes a wireless powered subwoofer that compliments the soundbar for a seamless sound. The front-firing 6.375" woofer incorporates a Sigma woofer circuit. This magnetic circuit inside the woofer works to produce high-fidelity responsive bass with low distortion. The woofer is housed in a bass reflex enclosure with a front-firing power and powered by a built-in 130W S-master HX digital amplifier for big bass response. The wireless powered subwoofer gets its signal from the system's soundbar wirelessly, via 5.8GHZ RF wireless transmission (up to 33'). You can adjust the level of the powered sub independently from the system's main volume.
Sony Technologies: The HT-NT5 incorporates four Sony technologies to give you clear virtual surround sound without distortion.
- S-Master HX Digital Amplifier: Enjoy the best of digital audio with the S-Master HX digital amplifier. Using a simplified, full digital signal path, the S-Master HX amplifier reproduces digital audio signals without the multiple analog stages required by conventional amplifiers. The result is not just more power, but significantly less distortion from heat build-up.
- S-Force Pro Front Surround 3D: The HT-NT5 utilizes S-Force Pro Front Surround 3D to deliver virtual surround sound from a two-piece home theater speaker system. S-Force PRO Front Surround 3D mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum - using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll be able to enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
- ClearAudio+: Unique to Sony, ClearAudio+ automatically adjusts sound settings for an enriching listening experience. By bringing together expertise in digital signal processing technologies, ClearAudio+ is able to optimize audio formats to deliver a consistently clear, high-quality sound.
- DSEE HX: The Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) upscales your compressed digital music files (2ch 44.1/48kHz) and takes it closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio (up to 96kHz/24-bit equivalent). By restoring the high-range sound lost in the compression process, DSEE HX produces your digital music files in rich, natural sound, closer to the quality of the original recording. This function does not work with DSD music files.
Digital Surround Formats: The Sony HT-NT5 supports the following digital audio formats through its HDMI & optical digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||PCM||2ch (48 kHz or less), 5.1ch (96 kHz or less), 7.1ch (192 kHz or less)|
Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD |
DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS ES, DTS 96/24
|Optical||PCM||2ch (48 kHz or less), 5.1ch (96 kHz or less)|
Dolby Digital |
DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The system supports DSD 2.8 MHz/1-bit audio decoding thru HDMI, USB, & DLNA.
Soundfields: You can select from one of the following soundfields to optimize your surround sound experience.
- Standard: Provides the sound that corresponds to every source.
- Movie: Provides the optimized sound for watching movies.
- Music: Provides the optimized sound for listening to music.
- Sports: Reproduces the feel of sports broadcasting. Commentary is clear, cheers are heard as surround sound, and sounds are realistic.
- Game: Provides the optimized sound for playing video games.
Clear Voice & Night Mode: With Clear Voice, you'll be sure to hear every whisper and character nuance of the dialog compared to other sounds in the scene for a dynamic experience. Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels.
Audio DRC: This feature compresses and narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) means audio is also carried back to the soundbar from your ARC compatible TV through the soundbar's HDMI output, without the need for an extra audio cable. Every device connected to your TV can now be heard through the soundbar system, so you can hear all of your audio in high quality.
Note: Because with many televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the Sony HT-NT5 directly; and then connect the HT-NT5's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital + Analog Audio Inputs: The Sony HT-NT5 soundbar system features both analog (minijack) audio and digital (optical) audio inputs for connecting external audio sources such as your DVD player and CD player that do not offer HDMI connectivity. There is single minijack (3.5mm) analog audio input and one optical (toslink) digital audio input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and 2ch PCM audio signals.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Wireless Surround: Through a firmware update (M34.R.2000), you'll be able to pair two Sony SongPal Link compatible speakers (sold separately) together with this soundbar & sub speaker system for wireless rear surround.
HDMI 2.0a: The Sony HT-NT5 features three HDMI 2.0a inputs and one HDMI 2.0a output which support ultra high-definition 4K video pass-through, HDCP 2.2 compatibility, 4:4:4 color subsampling, & HDR (High Dynamic Range) & BT.2020 wide color gamut video.
- 4K Pass-Through: The HT-NT5 lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this soundbar the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the soundbar's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The soundbar's HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range Video): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Color Technologies: The Sony HT-NT5 incorporates Triluminos Color, Super Bit Mapping (SBM), Deep Color, and x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony soundbar speaker system utilizes Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Super Bit Mapping: SBM (Super Bit Mapping) is a function that processes and outputs a smooth gradation video signal from the HDMI output jack.
- Deep Color: The soundbar speaker system also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The Sony soundbar system supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
24p Output: The 24p Output settings allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
3D-Ready: The Sony HT-NT5 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games and other 3D content through its HDMI connection. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be required.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the HT-NT5 system.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony HT-NT5 features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the system to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the soundbar speaker system to your home network you are able to stream select online music services from Google Cast and audio files stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this speaker system.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the system.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 2.3+) smartphone tablet, Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Sony wireless speaker system and your speakers. Chromecast Built-in certified apps include Google Play Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeart Radio, and more (click here for a complete list of compatible apps). Chromecast Built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your phone, so you won't lose any sound quality. Additional Chromecast Built-in features include:
- Simple-to-Use: Chromecast Built-in allows you to search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast Built-in compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Sony HT-NT5 & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The Sony HT-NT5 supports Spotify Connect. If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream the Spotify online music service to the Sony soundbar system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
DLNA Certified: The Sony HT-NT5 is DLNA certified. By connecting the HT-NT5 to your home network, you can listen to music & view still-images stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. The system can recognize up to 999 files/folders of network content. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Compressed Music Files: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps) & AAC (48-320kbps)
- Lossless Music Files: WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit) & ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- High Resolution Music Files: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), & DSD (2.8MHz, 1-bit)
- Still Image Files: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Miracast Technology: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) through the soundbar system to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
SongPal Link Multiroom Audio: The Sony HT-NT5 soundbar & sub speaker system supports Sony's SongPal Link multiroom audio feature. With SongPal Link, a feature of Sony's SongPal app for Apple iOS & Android, you can link multiple Sony SongPal Link compatible devices (sold separately) together to create zones, allowing you to stream the same music source or different music sources to all your SongPal Link compatible speakers or groups of speakers. Compatible sources include the soundbar speaker's HDMI, Optical, and Analog inputs, DLNA computers and servers, plus select online music services within SongPal.
Note: For the best multiroom experience, Sony recommends configuring your wireless band router to a 5Ghz wireless band.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The system accesses the Sony server to update the software through its network connection. Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony HT-NT5 soundbar speaker system features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.1) for wireless audio streaming and control. The system can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones.
- Receiver Mode: The Sony HT-NT5 incorporates Bluetooth
A2DP 1.2/AVRCP 1.5, so you can stream music wirelessly from a BT-enabled
device (like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad), Android smartphone/tablet,
Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop) to the soundbar speaker system.
You'll be able
to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your BT-enabled
device to the Sony soundbar system. You'll also be able to control basic
playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the system's remote
control. Song/artist information is displayed on the system's on-screen
menu (via HDMI).
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the HT-NT5 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the HT-NT5 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- LDAC Codec: The HT-N5 also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the soundbar speaker system's DLNA content, online music services from Google Cast Audio and SongPal, as well as connected sources through a set of Bluetooth headphones. The soundbar speaker system is muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones.
- Multi-Device Pairing: The Sony HT-NT5 can pair with up
to 9 devices, but can only be connected to one device at a time. Once
paired, the speaker will automatically re-connect to your device or
headphone when within range (up to 33').
- SSP (Simple Secure Pairing): Simple Secure Pairing allows the HT-NT5 to pair wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth-enabled devices and headphones with a single press of a button - without entering a complicated PIN-code.
- NFC (Near Field Communication): Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the soundbar's NFC tag. For older Android (OS 2.3.3+) smartphones, you'll need to download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony system.
USB Port: The Sound soundbar speaker system is equipped with a side-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy music & photo files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Sony Walkman or USB thumbdrive. The system can recognize up to a total of 500 files/folders. You can use the system's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music & photo files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the soundbar speaker system's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music & still image files include -
- Compressed Music Files: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps) & AAC (48-320kbps)
- Lossless Music Files: WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit) & ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- High Resolution Music Files: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), & DSD (2.8MHz, 1-bit)
- Still Image Files: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
SongPal Remote App: Download Sony's free SongPal remote app onto your Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.1+ device to control the HT-NT5 system from your mobile device via WiFi or Bluetooth. From the SongPal remote app, you can select input sources, switch to other entertainment apps, and customize sound settings of the soundbar speaker system. In addition, you can access stored music and other apps on your smartphone using the SongPal remote app. You'll also be able to browse music stored on an inserted USB mass storage class device from the SongPal remote app on your compatible smartphone. The SongPal app will display song/artist information and album art.
IR Remote + HDMI Control: The HT-NT5 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system and HDMI-CEC device. HDMI Control allows you to easily manage and operate an HDMI Control compatible television and other audio/video components with a single remote, when all components are connected via HDMI. By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following ways -
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the soundbar system and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the soundbar.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the soundbar system and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
On-Screen Display: The HT-NT5 provides an on-screen display through its HDMI output for setup, operation, and song/artist information.
Auto Standby: The soundbar speaker system entering standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 20 minutes and the system is not receiving an input signal.
Table-Top or Wall-Mount Soundbar: Made to complement the latest flat screen TVs, the HT-NT5 is slim and compact. This discreet soundbar can be wall-mounted via the included brackets or simply placed on a flat surface below your TV screen. Smart Speaker Control optimizes the soundbar speaker's sound for either mounting option.
Wireless Powered Sub Placement: Because the powered subwoofer uses 5.8GHz wireless technology, it can be placed virtually anywhere in your room (up to 33' from soundbar). There are no extra audio cables to run; you do have to plug the powered sub into an AC outlet. The compact, stylishly crafted cabinet blends in with any decor.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Firstly, This package was available at $400 dollars off its retail price of ($799); just too good to pass up. Secondly, I fell in the love with the design an it will fit perfectly, vertically mounted, on the wall of my bedroom. Then there is the Sony quality components. [ T. Jeffery Apr 02, 2018 ]
Research [ Alejandro Brian Mar 12, 2018 ]
value, bluetooth [ William Jan 20, 2018 ]
I have always been happy with Sony products...for the money, they produce decent quality sound. [ Rebecca Jan 17, 2018 ]
Husband wants surround sound for his TV. [ Susan Dec 17, 2017 ]
Needed a soundbar for my tv. [ Michael Dec 16, 2017 ]
The reviews made it the clear choice [ Karim Sep 29, 2017 ]
Great reviews, good bang-for-the-buck sound bar to complement a great Sony tv. [ Christopher Sep 29, 2017 ]
Highly reviewed sound bar with google cast. The Bundle pricing I received with my Sony X900e was unbeatable! [ kevin Aug 22, 2017 ]
Deal listed on Website [ Ben Aug 10, 2017 ]
Customer reviews, Sony brand, will work well with my new Sony tv. [ Brian Jun 04, 2017 ]
Recommendation from Kristina who is fantastic [ RAJANI May 24, 2017 ]
Deal with the Sony TV and it had HDR pass-through, which I'll soon need. Also, its rather unique profile filled a need for a smallish soundbar. Space is limited with my TV stand and this suited the situation quite well. Ultimately, it was mostly serendipity. [ David May 02, 2017 ]
Sony quality, integration with my Sony TV, simply way to improve TV sound without an AV receiver. [ thorpej Apr 04, 2017 ]
Affordable theater quality sound [ daryl Apr 03, 2017 ]
3 HDMI inputs, number of supported audio formats. (did consider looking for Dolby Atmos support, but decided against it as there is not enough content being distributed) [ K Feb 27, 2017 ]
Google Cast (ChromeCast) built into the bar. Sony quality build and design. [ Adam Feb 02, 2017 ]
Reasonably priced addition to the TV [ Louis Dec 20, 2016 ]
Review ratings, two-way bluetooth, good price when bundled with TV [ Christopher Dec 08, 2016 ]
Connectivity,sound quality, low profile and future proofing [ Gerald Nov 25, 2016 ]
Best fit for training room. [ vickie Nov 22, 2016 ]
Much respect, satisfaction & compatibility with the Sony brand across many products I own. Listened to it in a friends home & it sounded great. [ raymond Sep 06, 2016 ]
200 off [ Hoby Jul 15, 2016 ]
7 questions already asked
No. You can only use the specific Sony Speakers and you have to direct connect the Ethernet cable to the sound bar.. I didn't bother. The whole thing is ridiculously convoluted. The sound bar is good but it's only 2.1. [ STEPHEN May 29, 2018 ]
The HDMI cable included is fine since the sound bar is designed for 4K pass through. I connected the cable to my XBR-55X930D 4K TV. [ STEPHEN Sep 30, 2017 ]
I went ahead and spent the money to get an AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI cable because I was also connecting up a 4k BluRay player and wanted to make sure I didn't lose quality along the way. I ended up using AQ Cinnamon connectors for both and am extremely pleased with the picture and sound quality. I never actually tried the supplied HDMI cable so, sorry, can't actually answer that. [ Brian Sep 28, 2017 ]
It's included [ William Sep 28, 2017 ]
You do not (and honestly, '4k HDMI is BS anyway - search for '4k hdmi cables are nonsense' on cnet. Even if you *do* need a better cable for 4k video (dubious) you definitely do not need one for sound, which is all that is going to the sound bar. We've had one for several months and it sounds great. The user exeprience is a little awkward if you are not remote savvy or aged under 21, but it's a great product. [ Jonathan Sep 28, 2017 ]
I continue to use the one provided with the Sound Bar and have no problems with 4K. I use the Audio Return Channel configuration which takes a bit of getting used to. [ DOUGLAS J Sep 28, 2017 ]
The included HDMI is 4K compatible. [ Adam Sep 27, 2017 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing the items I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny Sep 12, 2017 ] Staff
If you have a wood-burning fireplace, (and you actually light a fire in it) we'd recommend not mounting a soundbar and/or TV directly above it. However, if you have a gas fireplace, they usually have special venting to disperse the heat so it's not concentrated on the wall above. There wouldn't be any specific "minimum" height clearance when mounting the soundbar above a gas fireplace. For more details or to discuss further, please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Jul 28, 2017 ] Staff
The soundbar is connected to your TV using an HDMI cord. The Bluetooth capability is an additional perk for connecting to other devices and speakers so there should be no issue if your TV is not Bluetooth compatible. [ James May 15, 2017 ]
I run my devices (Apple TV, PS4) via HDMI into the Bar and then use HDMI to bring the picture to the TV, [ Christian May 15, 2017 ]
Yes, the sound bar will hook up to the TV with an HDMI cable and all video and sound will be transferred through it. The Bluetooth built in to the sound bar can be used to stream audio to the sound bar from an external device (phone, iPod, etc.) [ David May 15, 2017 ]
2 answers What is the advantage of a 2.1 soundbar that supports all the advanced audio signal formats (in this case, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS ES, DTS 96/24) over a 2.1 soundbar that only decodes Dolby Digital? [ joepop Feb 27, 2017 ]
I would say minimal. There is a subtle difference that you may or may not notice (with regard to clarity and speed of processing the sound). I don't watch DVDs so I can't speak to the that medium, but with cable, Roku, etc. I don't think it should be a significant factor in your decision. I have a 7.1 set up in another room and there is a more noticeable difference with the added formats. Good luck! [ Randall Mar 01, 2017 ]
The advanced audio formats tend to have less or no compression of the audio track. Whether it is something you'll notice depends on your ability to hear the differences, ie. if you consider yourself an audiophile, you'll very likely be able to notice the small nuances provided from the increased audio quality. The nice thing about this soundbar is it provides compatibility with almost all formats. [ Jonathan Mar 01, 2017 ]
According to the manual. It comes with a mount to do so. I'm really pleased with this product, BTW. Totally eliminates the bulk of my previous multiple speaker system and A/V amp. I highly recommend the Sony SRS-ZR5 bluetooth speakers to round out the sound. They're not inexpensive, but are also functional as stand-alone to stream music, etc. But the HT-NT5 is killer. I'm researching mounting it on the wall. Right now I just having it lying flat in front of the TV, but it would look great under my flatscreen which is, by co-incidence, the exact same width. Cons? The bluetooth synching with the added speakers is a little finicky. Once dialed in, it's not an issue. [ Christian Jan 26, 2017 ]
It's not supplied with anything that would mount it to the TV but if you used the wall bracket supplied and fabricated a flat bar bracket you should be able to mount it to the bottom of the hanging TV [ SCOTT F Jan 26, 2017 ]
I'm sure it can. A custom support would have to be fabricated to accommodate both the tv and the sound bar. I use mine laying flat in front of the tv and works great. [ JAMES Jan 26, 2017 ]