Polk Audio MagniFi MAX
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough, Wi-Fi®, and Chromecast built-in audio
Our take on the Polk Audio MagniFi MAX by Crutchfield's Emily S.
Expansive sound in a slim package
This MagniFi MAX sound bar/sub combo has a streamlined design that slips easily into your living room. So you might not really know what hit you until you throw on a movie and experience the room-filling sound of Polk's patented Stereo Dimensional Array® (SDA). This technology uses digital signal processing to broaden the soundstage for a more immersive cinematic experience.
I love the svelte style of Polk's MagniFi MAX system.
The remote control offers independent bass control and Polk's VoiceAdjust® technology for crystal-clear dialogue. There are also some sound-optimizing EQ presets for movies, sports, and music. Try night mode if you are worried about disturbing the neighbors — it reduces bass and improves voice intelligibility so you can hear dialogue more easily even at lower volumes.
Stream music and more
The MagniFi MAX can still be part of the fun even when the TV is off. It has built-in Chromecast so you can wirelessly stream music to it from your favorite apps, including Spotify® and Pandora®. And if you have a Google Home speaker, you can set it up to control that music using voice commands.
It also has built-in Bluetooth so you can stream audio from your compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer. I love this option for listening to an audiobook — currently for me that's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — while I tidy or work on a project in the living room.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The MagniFi MAX is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- 3.1-channel system
- allows pass-through of 4K content and HDR content
- works with Google Home voice controller
- gives you voice control over music features and volume
- slim design is ideal for placing below a TV on a stand
- wall-mountable (mounting brackets included)
- 180 watts of amplification
- seven built-in drivers:
- four 3"x1" full-range drivers
- two 3/4" tweeters
- one 1" midrange driver
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- Polk's SDA® (Stereo Dimensional Array) surround technology offers a simulated 5.1 home theater experience
- Polk VoiceAdjust™ technology helps keep dialogue intelligible, with adjustable center channel level
- 43"W x 2-1/8"H x 3-13/16"D
- weight: 6.05 lbs.
Wireless Music Options:
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi for smooth wireless music streaming
- Google Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- supported apps include Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, TIDAL, and TuneIn radio
- Spotify Connect compatible
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- 160-watt (continuous) built-in amplifier
- down-firing 8" woofer
- connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- subwoofer volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- 12-1/8"W x 14-9/16"H x 14-5/8"D
- weight: 13.5 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output (6-1/2' cable included)
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- HDMI connections support 3D/4K video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- supported HDR formats: HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- optical digital audio input (6' cable included)
- 3.5mm analog minijack aux input (6' mini-to-mini cable included)
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use
- wall-mount brackets included (hardware not included)
- remote control
- warranty: 3 years (speakers); 1 year (amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- 58" AC power cord
- 69" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6.5' HDMI cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 6' Stereo minijack cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- Wall-Mount Template
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product Information
- Online Registration Card
Nice sound. Easy to install. Integrates easily with my Google Home and LG TV.
JD, Martinsburg, WV
Polk Audio MagniFi MAX Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.75" Dome (2)|
|Woofer||1"x3" Oval-cone (4)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10, Dolby Vision|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Google Home (iOS/Android)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||35-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||180|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/8H x 43W x 3-13/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.05 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14-9/16H x 12-1/8W x 14-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||13.5 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Polk MagniFi Max features a low-profile, slim-design soundbar speaker. The soundbar speaker is equipped with a seven speaker array which consists of two 0.75" tweeters, one 1" midrange driver, and four 1"x3" oval-cone full-range drivers, all powered by a 180W (RMS)/360W (Peak) built-in amplifier for dynamic sound. Twin side-firing ports aid in low frequency response.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered subwoofer reproduces deep bass impact that you can feel from your movie and music soundtracks. It houses a down-firing 8" woofer, down-firing bass port, and built-in 160W (RMS)/320W (Peak) amplifier. You can independently adjust the wireless powered sub's bass level from the rest of the system's overall volume level.
Proprietary Polk Technologies: Featuring Polk's patented SDA surround sound and Voice Adjust technologies, the MagniFi Max soundbar speaker system produces an immersive listening experience.
- SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array): Polk's patented Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) surround technology creates an expansive multi-dimensional soundstage and detailed stereo image. SDA both heightens and widens the soundstage providing an immersive room-filling sound without sacrificing clarity. SDA also compliments Dolby & DTS encoded content creating an incredible cinematic experience.
- Voice Adjust: Voice Adjust technology dramatically increases vocal clarity and volume level for crystal clear dialog no matter what you're watching. You can customize the voice levels in the soundbar however you prefer to reproduce clear, crisp dialog and never miss a single word of your favorite movie, TV show, or sporting event.
Optimized EQ Presets: EQ settings for Movies, Music, Sports, and Night optimize the soundbar and subwoofer to ensure you get the clearest dialog, big surround sound, and deep bass for the best audio and home theater experience regardless of what you are watching or if you are watching late at night.
- Movie: Acoustically optimized for both movie and TV soundtracks. It also provides a bass boost, increased spatialization and enhances Voice Adjust levels for improved dialog clarity. It is the default sound mode for HDMI and Optical input sources.
- Music: Music mode gives you balanced sound and smoother bass while minimizing spatialization effects to ensure more natural sound reproduction.
- Sports: Enhances dialog-rich content, like sporting events, news casts, and talk shows.
- Night: Reduces bass and volume dynamics while improving voice intelligibility for low-volume listening.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Polk MagniFi Max soundbar speaker system will decode Dolby Digital & DTS audio (up to 5.1ch) through its HDMI and Optical digital inputs. 2ch PCM audio is also supported through HDMI, Optical, and stereo minijack.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the MagniFi Max through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your TV. The HDMI ARC output supports Dolby Digital 5.1ch & 2ch PCM.
Note: Because with many televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player, satellite/cable box, and game system to the soundbar system's HDMI inputs directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Polk MagniFi Max soundbar system provides a digital (optical) input and analog minijack (3.5mm) input for connectivity to your TV or other source components. You should make sure to turn your TV speakers off or set to "0."
- Optical Digital Input: The soundbar features a single optical (toslink) digital input to connect your flat-panel TV. The optical input can decode and reproduce Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1ch program material. The soundbar's digital input also supports 2-channel PCM.
- Stereo Minijack Input: The soundbar is equipped with an analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your television (which may lack an optical digital output). If your TV is equipped with stereo RCA outputs, you will need a stereo minijack-to-RCA adapter cable (sold separately).
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
HDMI 2.0a: Featuring three HDMI inputs and one HDMI ARC output, the Polk MagniFi Max incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, including support for 4K Ultra HD video pass-through, High Dynamic Range (HDR) video, and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.
Note: There are no analog video inputs or outputs.
4K Pass-Through: The MagniFi Max supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The MagniFi Max supports two types of HDR formats - HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the soundbar and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata, Dolby Vision utilizes dynamic metadata which adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. Dolby Vision supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits.
Note: The system does not support the HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) HDR format.
HDCP 2.2 Compliant: All of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI jacks are HDCP 2.2 compatible which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
Network Connection: The Polk MagniFi Max offers built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for a wireless or wired connection to your home's network router. By connecting to your home's network, the MagniFi Max will support Chromecast Built-in, so you can wirelessly stream many of your favorite music apps from your Apple iOS or Android device, Mac computer, or Windows PC to the soundbar speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 4.0+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the MagniFi Max soundbar speaker system. Chromecast built-in certified apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, & iHeart Radio (click here for a complete list of compatible apps - subscription fees may apply). Chromecast built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your smartphone or tablet, so you don't lose any sound quality. Additional Chromecast built-in features include -
- Simple-to-Use: Chromecast built-in allows you to search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast Built-in compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.0.3+), you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (sold separately) or other Google Home Assistant compatible speaker (see Accessories tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The MagniFi Max & the Google Home Assistant device must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Polk MagniFi Max soundbar system supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the soundbar speaker system. Basic playback control (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Volume Up/Down) can be done from the included IR remote. You will continue to use your Bluetooth source device for advance music navigation and to view song/artist information.
Note: The MagniFi Max does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Polk MagniFi Max soundbar speaker system. There are also several ways to use your TV, cable, or satellite remote to control the MagniFi Max system.
- HDMI CEC: If your TV is connected to the MagnFi Max via HDMI and your TV supports HDMI CEC, you can control the volume and mute functions of the soundbar speaker system from your TV's remote control.
- Polk Smart Remote Technology: Polk Smart Remote technology allows for most Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Sony TV remotes to control the MagniFi Max's volume and mute functions right out of the box (no programming required). TV must be manufactured within the last 5 years.
- IR Learning Function: If you have another brand of television that is not listed above, or you have a cable or satellite receiver, you can also program the MagniFi Max soundbar speaker system to respond to one of these remotes (remote functions include - Power, Volume, and Mute).
Top-Panel Controls: The following controls are found on top of the soundbar speaker - Power, Source, Volume, Mute, Voice Adjust, and Bluetooth Pairing.
Mounting Options: The Polk MagniFi Max offers flexible mounting options for the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer.
- The soundbar speaker should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen. The soundbar can simply be placed on a tabletop, stand, or shelf (integrated rubber feet provide secure placement). The soundbar can also be mounted to the wall using the included wall-mount brackets (mounting screws not included). The unique wall-mounting system provides horizontal adjustment to ensure the soundbar remains level and centered under your TV.
- The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the soundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 30' from soundbar). Ideally, the powered sub should be placed along the same wall as the soundbar speaker. Placing the powered subwoofer in a corner will increase its bass response even more.
Power Requirements: Both, the soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub, will require an AC power outlet. The soundbar speaker includes an AC power adapter with attached 58" DC cord and a detachable 58" AC power cord. The powered sub comes with a detachable 69" AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I chose this product because I was in the market for a new soundbar, which required 4K/HDR passthrough with multiple HDMI inputs, and this was recommended to me by the technical advisor here at Crutchfield. It has stellar reviews here and on BestBuy. Very excited for my new product! [ Jonathan Oct 26, 2018 ]
I was confused about the differences in soundbars and had a particular price in mind and wanted the best product for that price range. The sales staff was very knowledgeable and directed me to a couple of options based on our conversation in which I choose the Polk MagniFi Max. [ Rod Oct 19, 2018 ]
My decision was based on features, reviews, and price. It seemed like the best choice for the money. [ JOSHUA Oct 09, 2018 ]
Great reviews, buying for my son who lives in an apartment. Simpler system that he will be able to operate. Reviews were great on sound. [ PEDRO Oct 07, 2018 ]
Polk Audio is my favorite brand in audio systems. [ LUIS Aug 17, 2018 ]
Jenny recommended it. [ Jeff Mar 02, 2018 ]
Maverick's top recommendation for sound bars with wireless sub between $300 and $500. Trusted his expert advice. [ Avery Feb 08, 2018 ]
Price and capabilities. [ Mark Feb 05, 2018 ]
I feel that Polk makes a quality product not matter the price range. We have had / have Polk products and they never fail to meet my expectations. I needed a quality sound bar with 3 HDMI inputs that would do the job and that wouldn't break the bank. This soundbar is an open box special which makes it even better. [ Richard Jan 06, 2018 ]
I like the voice enhancement [ Shari Dec 22, 2017 ]
2 questions already asked
Marcus, one other thought. I don't know if you have a new TV or not. Make sure your TV has HDMI 2.0a jacks. It may be required for a HDR signal. Make sure you HDMI cable is a High Speed cable. Most HDMI cables from 2010 or so should be OK. You should also try another HDMI cable in your present setup to make sure you don't have a bad cable. Frank [ Frank Apr 25, 2018 ]
Hi Marcus, sorry to hear you are having a problem. I have the sound bar connected to The ARC HDMI jack on my LG TV. The TV is connected to the TV/ARC HDMI jack on the back of the sound bar. My other connections are connect to the various HDMI jacks on the back of the TV. This has worked fine for my use. My inputs on the TV are: DVD, ROKU and Cable Box. If you have your Play Station 4 connected to the sound bar directly then you might want to connect it to an HDMI on the TV. If for some reason you want to have the PS-4 connected directly to the sound bar then you may not have your TV or sound bar optioned correctly. Check the options in your TV and sound bar for anything required for ARC connections. [ Frank Apr 25, 2018 ]
I had that issue (and others like sound "lagging') and the only permanent solution so far has been to scrap the hdmi connection between the soundbar and the tv and just use the audio cable. Of course, this means you dont get the on-screen sound volume and a few other things but at least you dont have to get aggravated constantly! I regret my purchase of the Polk Soundbar, I dont blame Crutchfield but I have not seen a shred of evidence that Polk has done anything about fixing these issues [ David Apr 24, 2018 ]
Hi Brian, The specs on the power adapter says it will take 100 to 240 volts, 50/60Hz, 1.4amps Max. Frank [ Frank Jan 05, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
Polk Audio MagniFi MAX
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough, Wi-Fi®, and Chromecast built-in audio
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and DTS Virtual:X®
JBL Bar 3.1
Powered 3.1-channel sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and Bluetooth®
Polk Audio MagniFi MAX SR
Powered sound bar with Google Chromecast built-in audio, and wireless surround speakers