Metra ethereal HDMI Balun Bundle
Send audio and HD video over long distances through CAT-6 Ethernet cable
Our take on the Metra ethereal HDMI Balun Bundle by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
A great alternative to a long HDMI cable
Looking for a good way to send HD video across a long distance? Metra makes it easy with this HDMI-to-CAT-6 balun bundle. It includes a transmitter and a receiver, which together send a 1080p video signal up to 60 meters (about 196 feet) away over CAT-6 Ethernet cable. These units are ideal for connecting an A/V receiver to an overhead projector or wall-mounted TV, without the need for an ultra-long HDMI cable.
How the system works
The transmitter balun connects to your home theater receiver, Blu-ray player, or other HD video source via a short HDMI cable. It then sends the incoming signal through a CAT-6 cable to the receiver balun, which is located near your TV or projector. A short HDMI cable is used to connect the receiver balun to your display.
What is a balun?
A balun gets its name by converting signals between balanced and unbalanced lines. Balanced cables carry signals over much longer distances than unbalanced lines, and also provide superior noise rejection.
These baluns convert HDMI to balanced CAT-6 connections. The result is clear, crisp signal transmission that offers flexible placement options for your equipment.
- HDMI-to-CAT-6 transmitter and receiver balun system
- send audio and 1080p video from one room to another via CAT-6 Ethernet cable
- maximum range of 60 meters (about 196 feet)
- does not support 4K video
- balanced connections offers excellent fidelity and noise-rejection
- included IR (infrared) blaster and receiver make relaying commands to your equipment simple
- DC power supplies for each unit are included
- 2-5/8"W x 1"H x 2-13/16"D (each)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- HDMI-to-Cat6 extender sender
- Cat6-to-HDMI extender receiver
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 5' DC cord)
- 39" IR blaster cable
- 39" IR receiver cable
- 2 Pieces of two-sided tape
- Important Safety Instructions
I used this product to connect our set-top box to the coax cable in our laundry room and then run the video over our CAT6 line to our living room. It was super easy to install and there's no difference in the picture quality compared to connecting directly to coax. Highly recommend this product.
Anonymous, Brooklyn, NY
Metra ethereal HDMI Balun Bundle Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
HDMI Extender Over Cat6: The Metra CS-HDC4EXTSR2 consists of an HDMI-to-Cat6 Sender (TX) and Cat6-to-HDMI Receiver (RX) that will carry HDMI audio/video signals over a single Cat6 cable up to 60 meters (196.8').
- Sender (TX): The Sender is equipped with a HDMI input and RJ45 output. The HDMI input connects to your source device (Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable box, etc), with a HDMI cable (sold separately). The RJ45 output of the Sender connects to the Receiver's RJ45 input via a Cat6 cable (sold separately).
- Receiver (RX): The Receiver is equipped with an RJ45 input and HDMI output. The Receiver's RJ45 input receives its audio/video signal from the Sender's RJ45 output via a Cat6 cable (sold separately). The Receiver's HDMI output is then connected to your display device (TV, projector, etc) via a HDMI cable (sold separately).
Note: HDMI & Cat6 cables are not included and sold separately.
Supported Video Resolutions: The Metra CS-HDC4EXTSR2 supports 480i (60Hz), 480p (60Hz), 720P (50/60Hz), 1080i (50/60Hz), and 1080p (50/60Hz) video signals.
Note: Not compatible with Ultra HD 4K video signals.
Supported Audio Formats: The Metra CS-HDC4EXTSR2 supports 2ch to 5.1ch audio (including Dolby Digital & DTS).
Note: Not compatible with multichannel formats greater than 5.1 (like Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD).
IR Blaster & Receiver: A 39" IR blaster and 39" IR receiver is included to offer IR remote control of your connected source device in the other room. The IR blaster plugs into the Sender's IR output, while the IR receiver plugs into the Receiver's IR input. The IR commands are carried over the Cat6 cable connected between the Sender & Receiver.
Power Requirements: The Receiver & Sender both come with their own AC power adapter which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.2A;
- Output: 5.0V/1A.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.