| Watch a product demo |
Our take on the Sony MEX-GS610BT by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Sony smartphone synchronization
With Sony's MEX-GS610BT CD receiver, you can take advantage of many of your smartphone's capabilities when you're behind the wheel. Sony's App Remote™ feature lets you put select music apps into a single list that you can control with the receiver or your phone — and it's easier to find the music you want with album art and other info appearing on your smartphone's screen.
If you like to keep your hands on the wheel, this Sony's got you covered. With select Android™ devices, you can control sources and respond to texts or emails with voice control. And you can use Siri through the receiver with compatible iPhones®. Just pair your device to the receiver with Bluetooth®, press a button, and ask your question — you'll hear the response over your car's speakers.
You can choose from a variety of colors for this Sony's display and controls.
The beauty of Bluetooth
If you've used Bluetooth in the car, you know how awesome it is. If you haven't, it's time to start enjoying the benefits of hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming from your mobile device. The MEX-GS610BT will connect to two devices at the same time — great if you share the car with your significant other. Pairing is easy with Sony's Simple Secure Pairing system, and even easier if your phone supports Near Field Communications (NFC) technology — just touch your device to the receiver and you're set.
When it's time for some tunes
The MEX-GS610BT plays CDs, of course, but it also offers a lot of other capabilities. Dual USB inputs let you connect both an iPod® or iPhone and a thumb drive. Sony's Quick-BrowZer search tool makes finding the right playlist, album, artist, or song an easy task. If you're a fan of streaming music, you'll have total access to your Pandora® account with your iPhone, Android or Blackberry.
And you can reach for the stars by adding a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included, requires subscription). Satellite radio offers an unparalleled variety of music, news, sports, and talk, and your favorite channels will stay with you wherever you drive.
Tune up the sound
Sony's Digital Reality Amp puts out some serious power to your speakers, and you can tweak that output with an impressive array of sound-shaping tools, including a 10-band EQ, time alignment, plus high- and low-pass filters. Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) improves the sound of compressed digital music files. Three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs send a high-powered, low-noise signal to your external amps.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and WAV files
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- NFC offers instant Bluetooth pairing with compatible phones
- detachable face with variable color illumination
- Sound Synchronization displays color changes timed to your music
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- App Remote version 2 mode for iPhone and Android
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry smartphones
- Quick-BrowZer and Jump Mode search features
- EQ10 10-band equalizer
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine improves digital file sound quality
- Listening Position time alignment
- high- and low-pass filters
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front panel auxiliary input; front and rear USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (w/ 10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X231)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Installation/Connections sheet (En/Fr)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Face fixing screw note
- Important Notice
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
This worked out great for me! It was exactly what I needed!
Dave, Washington, UT
Sony MEX-GS610BT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony MEX-GS610BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.1), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony MEX-GS610BT.
Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony MEX-GS610BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can register up to nine Bluetooth enabled devices with the Sony head unit and keep two devices connected at all times (only one can be used at a time). Once paired, the MEX-GS610BT will automatically re-connect to your device when in close proximity. The head unit also offers unique pairing for Android and iPhone smartphone to make Bluetooth pairing even easier.
- Near Field Communication (for Android): Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the head unit's NFC tag on it rotary-knob. For older Android smartphones with OS 4.0 or lower, download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
- USB Pairing (for iPhone): You can pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Sony head unit via USB and activating the Bluetooth function on your Apple device.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Sony MEX-GS610BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the MEX-GS610BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the MEX-GS610BT, you can dial a phone
number in one of the following ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 1,000 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use to easily redial the last number you called.
Note: The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the level of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 11' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone comes with a mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.515" (depth).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Sony MEX-GS610BT can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat) for both stored music and music apps, the MEX-GS610BT provides a Search List of your stored music by Category or Playlist (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display device's stored music and music app song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Sony MEX-GS610BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel control and external microphone. Simply activate the "voice dial" function on the MEX-GS610BT to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the head unit and its microphone. The head unit will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the MEX-GS610BT ; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports the playback of MP3/WMA music files on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
Dual USB Ports: The head unit feature a front-panel USB (type-A) port hidden behind a flip-out cover and one rear-panel USB (type-A) port attached to the rear chassis by a 58" cable. The receiver's front- and rear-panel USB ports can be used for plugging in (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB devices; such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. The head unit can play MP3, WMA, and WAV music files stored on compatible USB device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (front: 1A; rear: 2.1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The USB ports are not compatible with Android.
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback: The Sony MEX-GS610BT supports the following types of MP3, WMA, WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB MSC Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Romeo, or Joliet,||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate up to 320kbps |
WMA: bit rate up to 320kbps
WAV (USB only): bit rate of 8-/16-bit
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||150 folders/300 files||10,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver can display the following ID3/WMA-tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Playback & Search Functions: The Sony CD receiver offers a variety of unique playback & search functions.
- Quick Browser: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD-R/RW disc or USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music folder in 10% increments.
- Repeat/Random: Repeat a single track or repeat an entire folder. Shuffle all tracks or a specific folder.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45-degrees.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The MEX-GS610BT's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display. The USB connection bypasses the iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the head unit's 24-bit DAC to maximize sound quality. You can choose to control the your iPod/iPhone from the head unit (Head Unit Control Mode) or from the Apple device's clickwheel/touchscreen (Passenger App Control).
- Head Unit Control + Song/Artist Info: The MEX-GS610BT's Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast from the head unit's front-panel control; content in each category will be listed alphabetically. The unit also offers basic playback controls; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. During Head Unit Control mode, the MEX-GS610BT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including track #, elapsed playing time, song title, artist name, and album label. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to use your Apple device's touchscreen to navigate your stored music and access music apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Passenger App Control: In Passenger App Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone device through its clickwheel or touchscreen; as well as music apps on an iPhone (iOS 3.0+). Basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track are still available from the head unit. The Passenger App Control mode does not offer song/artist information display. Not all apps will be compatible with this mode.
Note: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's front (1A) or rear (2.1A) USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone; the rear-panel USB port will also charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony MEX-GS610BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/1/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||App Remote||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu, so it does not appear as an available source.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony MEX-GS610BT is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony MEX-GS610BT lets you playback and control the online Pandora music service that is being streamed to your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). The MEX-GS610BT will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony MEX-GS610BT provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony MEX-GS610BT is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The redesigned, internal Dynamic Reality Amp circuitry boasts 47% lower internal resistance compared to conventional in-dash receiver, delivering 55 watts x 4 channels of Peak power to your vehicle's speakers. This allows you to crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels, and smooth frequency response. The power output specs for the MEX-GS610BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony MEX-GS610BT are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Sony MEX-GS610BT is equipped with 5-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the low-pass crossover. You can even adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Note: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left or right rear speaker leads (but not both). Same subwoofer controls apply.
High-Pass Filter: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ10, ClearAudio+, Listening Position, Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE), Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE), Advanced Auto Volume (AAV), and Loudness.
- EQ10 w/ ClearAudio+: R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band1 (32Hz), Band2 (63Hz), Band3 (125Hz), Band4 (250Hz), Band5 (500Hz), Band6 (1khz), Band7 (2khz), Band8 (4kHz), Band9 (8kHz), and Band10 (16kHz).
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far
- Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): DSEE improves digitally compressed music files by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process.
- Advanced Auto Volume (AAV) + Loudness: This feature adjusts the playback volume level of all playback sources to the optimum level. Loudness reinforces bass and treble for clear sound at low volume levels.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The Sony MEX-GS610BT features a detachable face for theft prevention. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the head unit's front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the unit's built-in amplifier is used. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Dynamic Color Illuminator (35,000 colors): Dynamic Color Illuminator lets you match the head unit's LCD & button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components. With selectable Sound Synchronization, the timing of the color change is synchronized with the audio source. You can select from 12 preset colors (red/amber/m-amber/yellow/white/light green/green/light blue/sky blue/blue/purple/pink), customized color (R-G-B), & 5 preset patterns (rainbow/ocean/sunset/forest/random). The unit's Dynamic Color Illuminator offers the following advance features.
- Day/Night Color Mode: You can register a customize color for the unit's display and buttons for day & night time driving.
- Sound Synchronization: The color changes according to synchronization of playing music. When you select a preset pattern sound synchronization becomes effective.
- White Menu: You can display the menu more clearly (White text) without concern for the unit's other color settings.
- Start White: When you power-on the head unit, the color of the unit's display and buttons turn white and then the color changes to your chosen customize color. You can enjoy this effect whenever the source is turned on.
Note: To change the brightness of the display you can set the MEX-GS610BT to one of three dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer), and Dimmer On (display always dim).
Auto Scroll: The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Demo Mode: The head unit's demo mode can be turned On or Off.
App Remote Technology: Sony's App Remote Technology offers two-way communication between the Sony MEX-GS610BT and your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 5+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (2.1-2.3 Froyo/Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0-4.2). You will need to download the free Sony App Remote application from the Apple App Store or the Google Play App Store. This application integrates compatible Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony CD receiver and lets you launch apps from the head unit. You can operate basic functionality of compatible audio apps directly from the receiver (operation differs depending on the app). Movie and navigation apps will continue to be controlled from your smartphone. In addition, you can control the receiver's sources directly from the application on your smartphone using simple finger gestures and see detailed source information on the phone's touchscreen.
- Receiver Sources: The App Remote lets you access the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, iPhone, Bluetooth, and Aux sources from your phone's touchscreen. You can use finger gestures to tap, flick left/right, or flick up/down on the phone's touchscreen in order to change AM/FM Band, Play/Pause a track, Seek Up/Down a track or station, select a Preset, or access an Album. You will also be able to see song/artist information from MP3/WMA and smartphone sources, as well as station identification numbers from AM/FM radio.
- Compatible Apps (as of 4/1/2014): The App Remote also
provides various music, movie, and navigation apps which can be accesses
from the Sony MEX-GS610BT's source list. Available operation differs depending
on the application.
- Music Apps: Music apps include; Pandora, AUPEO!, iHeartRadio, MOG, and TuneIn. The head unit only provides basic Play/Pause functions and no song/artist information for these music apps.
- Movie Apps: Movie apps include Netflix and YouTube. Video will be displayed on your smartphone's screen, while the audio plays through your vehicle's speakers. You can control Play/Pause from the MEX-GS610BT. Other playback functions will need to done on your smartphone. Subscription may be required. You should not watch videos while your vehicle is in motion.
- Navigation Apps: Supported navigation apps include Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, and MotionX GPS Drive. The map screen will display on your smartphone's touchscreen, while audible directions can be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can continue to listen to music streamed from your smartphone while navigating; the unit will attenuate your music during a navigation voice-prompt. Control of the navigation apps will still be done through your smartphone's touchscreen. Fees may apply for some navigation apps & functions.
- Voice Communication + Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, App Remote technology for the MEX-GS610BT head unit adds a voice user interface for voice control of apps and functions such as navigation and music playback, notification readouts including RSS feeds, Twitter, and text message reply. Through voice operation, you can safely and comfortably operate your smartphone in the car from the Sony MEX-GS610BT CD receiver. Incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the MEX-GS610BT and your vehicle's speakers to keep you in touch.
- Custom Sound Settings: From your Android smartphone remote screen, you get access to audio & DSP settings (Equalizer, Volume Control, Fader/Balance/Subwoofer, and Listening Position).
Note: Access to the music, movie, and navigation apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X231) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Ken Nail
Sony's MEX-GS610BT CD receiver boasts AppRemote tech for ease of use, and comes equipped with Bluetooth®, iPhone, and Pandora control, to name a few.
Why did you buy this?
I chose this unit for several reasons, but the main ones where - Button layout - Sub PreAmp Output - Bluetooth - Aux/Usb Frt Panel - Audio Controls - Great Reviews [ DON Apr 05, 2018 ]
I like the brand and the price and you offered a free shipping! [ Myrna Mar 14, 2018 ]
REPLACING EXISTING SONY WHICH APPEARS TO HOOK UP THE SAME (CDX-GT660UP) FACE STOLEN [ HAROLD Feb 15, 2018 ]
I have one that failed. I liked the radio and have a second one installed in another car. Hopefully this one has a longer life. [ Brett Feb 08, 2018 ]
I have another one that works very well [ Jimmy Jan 22, 2018 ]
5volt Pre-Amp Out is main reason selecting this unit. Offers all the other features we needed: Bluetooth, Aux, multi-color for picking color of display, hands free talk, good reviews. Should make a really nice sounding system with 5v preamp outs. [ Matthew Dec 27, 2017 ]
Replacement for older model [ Rebekah Dec 07, 2017 ]
Bluetooth and still plays cds [ Sean Nov 24, 2017 ]
blue tooth [ joshua Oct 21, 2017 ]
All the features I want, nothing I dont.. [ Erica Oct 15, 2017 ]
5v pre outs [ John Sep 29, 2017 ]
Reputation and manufacturer warranty [ Jorge Aug 30, 2017 ]
for my motorhome [ daniel Aug 14, 2017 ]
Have one in another car. Works great in hands free mode and like that you can change the color to match you instrument lighting. [ Michael Aug 08, 2017 ]
love sony and this had the features I wanted [ john wells Aug 01, 2017 ]
good features for the money and compatible with my i-pod classic, it was marked down $50. [ Karl Jul 20, 2017 ]
does every thing I need it to do, good features, easy to understand. [ DWIGHT Jul 10, 2017 ]
Solid unit with great features at a great price!!! [ Aaron Jun 22, 2017 ]
I have a teardrop camper that I want some entertainment at night, weather is bad etc. [ Kevin Jun 04, 2017 ]
Secondary stereo for Chevy Spark EV. Good integration and control with android phone. [ SERGIO Jun 03, 2017 ]
I have always had good luck and been happy with SONY car stereos. I chose this one because it not only has two USB inputs but bluetooth input as well. It has the extras that my factory stereo was lacking. [ R May 15, 2017 ]
This Sony unit is awesome with really good features and great sound! [ Vernon May 01, 2017 ]
Great reviews, very reasonable price, fit everything I was looking for in a car stereo. [ Shea Apr 19, 2017 ]
Good reviews and features. [ dwain Apr 17, 2017 ]
With so many great receivers to choose from, I decided on this Sony because it had the biggest discount. I felt I was getting the most for the money I spent. It was also comparable to other receivers in the same price range I was considering. I have never had issues with other brands I have purchased in the past but never had a Sony car receiver. I have many other Sony products that I'm extremely happy with. [ David Apr 05, 2017 ]
I like Sony products, and it was a good deal on this particular one [ CJ Apr 01, 2017 ]
Always loved Sony products, and compared to other radios including Alpine radios for the price and quality of Sony's products you cant beat it. Plus a 3 year warranty compared to Alpine, I'll sacrifice a few watts of power for a 3 year warranty and a savings of over $100. [ kimberly Mar 30, 2017 ]
Sony receivers have given outstanding service aboard our sailboat. The previous Sony was taken out by lighting and i found the Kenwood unacceptable,using bluetooth. [ Kenneth Mar 28, 2017 ]
We wanted to upgrade our stereo to one with Bluetooth functions, not break the bank and I am a big fan of Sony products. [ Trevor Mar 28, 2017 ]
Excellent value, use your smart phone as an app enabled remote control, and looks great! [ Devin Mar 12, 2017 ]
I've always been a Sony guy. [ Joe Mar 12, 2017 ]
Love radio [ Tina Feb 27, 2017 ]
I purchased this unit because of the reviews. I was looking at Kenwood, but their reviews weren't very good. But this Sony unit sounds perfect. [ Robert Feb 27, 2017 ]
liked it [ kevin Jan 13, 2017 ]
5 volt pre-amp outputs! [ Charles P. Oct 10, 2016 ]
Upgrading my stereo. Have used Sony head units in the past and really like them. [ Christopher K. Sep 22, 2016 ]
For a boat. Need BT to get music from I-phone. [ Carey Aug 13, 2016 ]
I have had very good service with Sony products [ Dorce Jun 20, 2016 ]
This stereo has all the features that my factory radio lacks. I have had very good experiences with Sony stereos in the past so I'm being brand loyal. [ Wade Jun 05, 2016 ]
I had this receiver in another car and really liked it's features. [ Thomas May 06, 2016 ]
Trust Sony brand and it has the options I want. [ Robert Jan 27, 2016 ]
It has a lot of features and a good price! [ TOMY Jan 07, 2016 ]
I'd bought a similar Sony head unit for another vehicle and loved it but this one seems to have a slower processor that makes changing songs torture when listening to usb. I'd switch it out for the older model any day. [ Paul Jan 02, 2016 ]
Installed in my 1994 Ford Ranger, love it. This Sony face plate has equipped my truck with updated technologies in media trends, we are now hands free, Bluetooth, and voice activated. Haven't replaced a car stereo since cassettes came out, this was an easy task with the installation package from the Crutchfield team. Five stars for the stereo and Crutchfield. [ Gary Dec 21, 2015 ]
18 questions already asked
Yes. [ Caelin Apr 17, 2018 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. [ Krissy Mar 08, 2018 ] Staff
I don't believe so, no... [ Christopher Sep 08, 2017 ]
Good question- never have tried ? [ JIMMY W Jul 05, 2017 ]
I havent used one. Ive been using the bluetooth but im sure it can use a flash drive. Only thing would be trying to navigate it to get it to play the songs. I know touchscreens defiently do. And as far as formate. Any common formats will work [ Keven Jul 04, 2017 ]
William. Don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to share that I bought one of these in August 2015 and installed it in a 2001 Accord. It died about 10 months later. I sent it in under warranty for a replacement unit, but Sony sent my money back instead. While I miss the USB option and the hands-free telephone features, I wouldn't go through the installation effort a second time with this product. In the end, I settled for my factory unit with the infinity speakers (an improved sound) that I had installed with the sony head. If I ever revisit a stereo head purchase again with this car, I would look to kenwood or someone other than sony for my next purchase, for whatever that's worth to you. [ Laton Feb 21, 2017 ]
From the details/specs right on this site. iPod Compatibility Full sizeClassic/5Gen Nano7/6/5/4/3/2/1 Touch5/4/3/2/1 iPhone6+/6/5S/5C/5/4S/4/3GS/3G/2G Why would it not be? [ Jason Aug 12, 2016 ]
This unit is compatible with my iPhone 6 so it should work with the 6S [ Robert Aug 12, 2016 ]
IF the phone is a Droid it'll work just fine Bluetooth and all. Great piece. It has never dissapointe me yet. [ kevin Jun 28, 2016 ]
It should, if you're using Bluetooth. I've used various iPhones and Android phones with it without issue. [ Erik Jun 28, 2016 ]
For the Sony unit I bought my Android and a iPhone both worked with the Bluetooth option [ Darrell May 29, 2016 ]
Yes, this unit's pandora controls work for Android, that's all I've ever owned and every feature worked as advertised for me. Feature packed and I loved it. My only problem was that it had some software issues sometimes where it would freeze up for like 30 seconds, then make a loud "pop" noise at full volume and restart as if the unit had never been turned on before. Happened to me fairly frequently. It may, however, be just my unit. [ Michael May 29, 2016 ]
This is a great head unit, and I'd happily buy it again. I don't have any experience with an android, all I've had were iPhones, and never had a problem with any BT feature. Great sound from this head unit when paired with my Focals and JL sub [ Clint May 29, 2016 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Mar 05, 2016 ] Staff
It sort of works, but it is a little too low powered to fully charge some phones. I find that a Y cable using both the front and rear ports works very well though [ ZACHARY Jan 04, 2016 ]
1 answer I have a 95 Chevy K1500 truck with an older Sony Xplod CD receiver. One feature of it I absolutely love is DSO which somehow raises the sound stage from the speakers mounted in the doors making them sound like they are higher and in front of you (don't know how it does it, but it works). Does this receiver have a similar feature? [ James Nov 19, 2015 ]
No not that i have seen. [ daniel Nov 20, 2015 ]
Yes. [ larry Nov 20, 2015 ]
1 answer Can someone explain what the Advanced Auto Volume (AAV) feature does? Does it operate like compression, minimizing the decibel range of a piece of music by boosting soft passages and putting a limiter on the louder passages, or does it simply raise the overall volume automatically (similar to turning the volume knob up)? I listen to a lot of classical music, where there is extreme volume changes from one minute to the next in the same piece of music. Will this compensate for that, enabling you to hear the quiet parts better in a loud vehicle? Also, does this feature work only for CDs, or digital music, or both? [ Frank Aug 02, 2015 ]
It basically control your source signal volume,to help correct for any irregular volume ... Good feature to have but not nessecary...i enjoy my unit very much,use the app remote to access quicker eq settings especiall preset...i hope this helps [ MUAMER Aug 04, 2015 ]
1 answer I really love this system, however, I find I am listening to Audio books primarily. Does anyone have any suggestions on setting the custom equalizer to optimize for voice? Also, when I use the bluetooth on my phone, the voice sounds too bass and garbled (it might have something to do with my own bad hearing) Any advice will be most appreciated. [ MarshalseaMstfs Jan 20, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jan 21, 2015 ] Staff
Not through USB but you would be able to use the bluetooth and you could most definitely use the headphone jack on your phone to the audio port on the front. The advertising for Sirius radio on this stereo is for the Sirius/XM turner that is separate from your phone. But you can always send audio signal from any app on you phone. I use other audio apps like Spotify and Digital FM and they both play perfectly through my bluetooth to the stereo. You will need to install the Sony apps on your android device to communicate properly to the stereo. Once you have all of that setup you can play anything from you phone to the stereo via bluetooth. USB can only be used as a USB storage device. If you have have music on your phone it will see the audio tracks stored there and play them, but you would not use the USB to play from apps on your phone. You could even put mp3s on a USB flash drive and hook that up to the USB port if you wanted to. [ Recreation Nov 03, 2014 ]
Thanks for all of the replies [ Kieran Lavin Nov 03, 2014 ]
I haven't used the sub port much. I have an android phone and it has been my experience that any audio you have coming through the phone will broadcast to the unit through the Bluetooth audio setting. I watch espn on mineand I get the audio through my head unit. I would assume the usb would be just as cconvenient. I have enjoyed this radio since I installed it. [ william Nov 03, 2014 ]
I would think so, but I'm not positive as I only have a iphone [ kevin Nov 03, 2014 ]
Yes it will. [ Guest Nov 03, 2014 ]
I'm not sure about USB but you should be able to to use it via the Bluetooth audio source on the radio. I know audio from YouTube will play via Bluetooth so I'm guessing any audio output from your phone will work through it. Hope this helps. sincerely, Tyler [ Tyler Nov 03, 2014 ]
I have never tried this. I do play Slacker and other music services via USB. Plus, you can always stream via Bluetooth, right? [ Adam Nov 02, 2014 ]
Well first I really like my stereo, I operate a iPhone with or without cord from stereo. But all items from the download to the phone work. It take a little playing around but I think you really will enjoy it. I hope this helps. [ KEITH Nov 02, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jul 06, 2014 ] Staff
The 5000bt only has a front USB Port (it only supplies a 2V connection) and according to the Sony website it does not list the iPhone 5 (it might still work but without testing it yourself there really is no way of knowing unless someone else has one) The gs610bt has front and rear USB ports. Also this model gives you 5V through the USB ports. Which is possibly why the iPhone 5 is listed as being compatible. The reason for the increase in voltage through the USB ports is that you will be able to charge your phone through this USB port at a much faster rate. Some phones (like the iPhone 5) will not even charge properly or at all. A lot of the newer Android phones also have this issue if you do not use an adequate amount of voltage the phone will say it is charging but it will not really charge very fast it would take a whole day to charge. [ Recreation Nov 03, 2014 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy May 30, 2014 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: It doesn't come with any type of cover, but we do offer a universal marine cover that would fit over it. You can find that here: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?i=120999005B If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy May 16, 2014 ] Staff