USB 2.0 recording interface
| Watch a product review |
Crutchfield: Steinberg UR824 Recording Interface
Our take on the Steinberg UR824 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Putting the "pro" in "project studio"
Prove to the bands you invite into your project studio that "project" doesn't mean "amateur." The Steinberg UR824 will show them you're serious, offering up to 24-channel input/output capability, so you can record a full band with mics for each and every vocalist, amplifier, and drum. Eight mic preamps capture sound that's warm and natural. You can expand with outboard preamps for up to 24 inputs. The included software suite lets you layer in sophisticated, low-latency effects using intuitive interfaces. The UR824 also includes Steinberg's popular Cubase DAW software, for powerful mixing and editing capabilities.
Sound quality comes first
The UR824 was developed in conjunction with Yamaha, Steinberg's parent company. Yamaha-designed D-PRE mic preamps offer low-noise, low-distortion sound that remains clean even as you push the envelope with your input levels. On the digital side, don't sweat the timing errors — known as jitter — digital sources can introduce. This interface's low-jitter JetPLL circuitry and word-clock in/out gives you weapons to fight jitter, for clean, accurate sound. Record digitally with confidence using no-compromise 24-bit/192kHz resolution.
The UR824 offers eight mic preamps, with line and high-Z inputs and ADAT-compatible optical in/out for expanding with external mic preamps and mixers. (Front and rear of unit shown.)
Record the whole band "live" in the studio
You never know how many band members might be walking through your door. You'll be prepared with the UR824's versatile connectivity. Two front-panel Neutrik inputs can accommodate mics, line signals from keyboards, or high-z signals from guitars to take advantage of Yamaha's very cool amp-modeling plug-ins. Six rear-panel inputs can handle mics and line-level signals. Phantom power can be activated for each of the inputs in pairs, when you're using condenser mics that need it. Eight balanced line outputs are perfect for routing signals to multiple pairs of studio monitors or a full 7.1-channel array. Two ADAT-compatible optical digital inputs offer connection to external mic preamp consoles, while optical outputs can route up to 16 channels to an external digital mixer.
The Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip plug-in lets you apply compression and EQ to your monitor mix for low-latency effects.
Latency kills. Get the antidote.
This powerful interface deliver effects in monitor mixes without grinding the whole session to a halt — a technique which can really help you get strong, confident performances from vocalists and instrumentalists. The UR824 features Steinberg's dspMixFx, which gives you complete control of your monitor mixes while keeping your computer (and the session) smoothly humming along. Steinberg's Sweet Spot Morphing offers compression and three-band parametric EQ combined into a single channel strip plug-in. REV-X lets you add the reverb vocalists love. Give guitarists a wide palette of sounds to choose from with Guitar Amp Classics. It uses Yamaha's advanced amp modeling for rich, true-to-life tones. You can even apply these effects to your recordings in your DAW.
Includes Cubase AI recording software
If you know anything about computer music production software, Cubase is probably a familiar name. Cubase AI recording software is included with the UR824 interface. You don't have to use it as your DAW with this interface, but there are some big advantages. The UR824's built-in mixer is designed to integrate with Cubase, so you can configure your monitor mixes and signal routings in Cubase. This means you don't have to set them up in dspMixFx first, saving you time and improving your workflow efficiency. It's a great reason for Cubase users to check out this pro-quality interface.
- computer audio interface with 24 input and 24 output channels
- 8 Yamaha D-PRE discrete Class A mic preamps with 48V phantom power offer warm, clean sound even at high input levels
- accepts mic, instrument, line-level, ADAT, and S/PDIF signals
- dspMixFx software offers 24-input mixing to 4 stereo outputs with low-latency direct monitoring and effects
- includes REV-X reverb, Sweet Spot Morphing (compression and EQ), and Guitar Amp Classics plug-ins (DSP and VST versions for monitoring and recording)
- optical digital in/out offers up to 16 channels of ADAT signals with external mic preamps and mixers for 24-input recording
- includes Cubase AI 6 digital recording software
- four-input iPad recording with Apple's Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
- 2 front-panel XLR/TRS switchable mic/line/instrument inputs with 26dB pad for use with microphones, electric guitars and basses, and other instruments
- 6 rear-panel XLR/TRS balanced mic/line inputs for use with microphones, keyboards, and drum machines
- 2 ADAT-compatible optical (Toslink) digital inputs/outputs for connection to external devices such as an 8-channel mic preamp or a mixer
- can be configured to transmit S/PDIF signals
- eight 1/4" balanced analog outputs for connecting powered studio monitors, mixing boards, or effects processors
- two 1/4" headphone outputs with independent volume control for discrete monitor mixes
- word clock in/out (BNC connector) for synchronizing sampling clock with external digital recording equipment
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer
- 24-bit analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog conversion with sampling rates of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz
- full integration of DSP mixing and input/output routing in Cubase for streamlined workflow
- JetPLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved accuracy and sound quality
- multi-channel mixing capability for creating 7.1-channel surround mixes
- on-board memory for storing a mix configuration for use as a stand-alone mixer on stage
- loopback feature returns signals back to the computer for live Internet streaming
- signal/peak indicators for all 8 analog inputs
- USB and power cables included (no bus power)
- system requirements: USB 2.0 port; Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later; Intel or AMD dual core CPU, 4GB of free hard drive space, DVD-ROM or Internet connection for software installation
- 18-15/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 10-7/8"D (1U rack space)
- weight: 6.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- USB audio interface
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 5.5' AC power cord
- 6.5' USB type-B to USB type-A cable
- Ferrite core
- 4 Rubber feet
- Installation CD-ROM
- "Getting Started" booklet
- CUBASE AI Download Information
- Essential Product License Information
24-Bit/192kHz: All components are carefully selected and implemented for full resolution of high-end audio of up to 24-bit/192 kHz. A higher sampling frequency means more samples of the audio source, resulting in better reproduction of the original sound, contributing to the naturalness of audio image and ambience.
Ultra-Low Jitter: For signal synchronization, the UR824 interface also features JetPLL, a patent-applied solution for audio network jitter. JetPLL provides the same performance as traditional, expensive clocking solutions found in the world's best professional clocking products.
Studio Recording & Production: The UR824 is a recording and production solutions for ambitious musicians and professional engineers alike. Connections required for studios such as word clock and ADAT plus a range of Neutrik combo connectors are at hand. Also on board are EQ and compression tools in the form of the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strips on each channel, not to forget the REV-X plug-in that provides quality reverb for modifying the intricacy of a sonic space. The UR824's eight line outputs offer full support for surround productions up to 7.1
Live Recording: The UR824 is a perfect solution for band recording. Mount the UR824 in your rack and with the range of channels and connectors, pick up all the band's instruments and vocals and record and mix them in Cubase AI or your preferred DAW. For live rigs, the UR824 offers inputs and outputs over a variety of formats, the two pairs of ADAT of which provide additional I/O expansion capability. Connect either to two 8-channel mic preamps with ADAT outputs or two UR units in standalone mode to get a stunning 24 channels for recording an entire rock band setup
8 Class A D-PRE Mic Preamps: The UR824 audio interface offers D-PRE Class-A discrete mic preamps from Yamaha. The D-PRE is carefully designed to capture all the subtleties and expressiveness of any audio source and is the culmination of years of development by the experienced engineers at the Yamaha Corporation.
- Darlington Circuitry: D-PRE Mic Preamps sound stunning, and the difference is in the design. Usually, preamps use one transistor each for the hot and cold signals at the input stage to amplify the signal. However, the D-PREs specified on Steinberg audio interfaces use an inverted Darlington circuit, where two transistors are used for each hot and cold - a total of four per unit. With only one transistor on a preamp circuit, distortion tends to increase along with the signal level. By using a pair of two cascaded transistors, very low distortion can be maintained regardless of signal level.
- Wide Frequency Range: D-PRE has a very wide frequency range so that it can handle any music source and it does not overly amplify any specific components of the signal. It's beautifully tuned to be able to capture the true expression of a given performance or audio source, while leaving flexibility for later editing. The end result is that D-PRE provides a sound that is a perfect amalgamation of understated signal enhancement combined with impeccable sonic integrity. The development team took a lot of time to adjust this subtle balance and the D-PRE sound quality speaks for itself.
Cubase AI Included: Based on the same core technologies as the popular Cubase DAW, Cubase AI offers an intuitive feature set for composing, recording, editing and mixing.
- True Integrated Monitoring: When using Cubase, all the advanced monitoring capabilities are fully integrated into the application's GUI by True Integrated Monitoring technology. All aspects of I/O handling and DSP management are handled directly from within Cubase. Cubase automatically embeds your device into the Cubase production environment and manages all audio streams with perfect sync, allowing for a highly efficient workflow that boosts productivity to new levels. Plus, the URs feature direct integration into Cubase with dedicated windows and views that only appear when they are connected, providing full control of the hardware's functionality from within Cubase itself.
- Loopback Function: For easy live streaming of performances to the internet, the Loopback function consolidates all playback tracks and input channels and routes the mix to your internet streaming software. This function is often used by hosts of internet live streaming programs. When the function is active, incoming audio signals such as microphone, guitar or line source will be merged to the playback signal from an audio playback software like Cubase or other DAWs inside the computer. The merged signal will then be send back to the computer for streaming.
Note: The UR824 is also compatible with all major audio editing, mastering, and music production software supporting ASIO, Core Audio, or WDM standard.
iPad Connectivity + dspMixFx App: With the latest firmware updates, the UR824 introduces iPad connectivity (using Apple's iPad Camera Kit) and the free dspMixFx app alongside some other new features. Together with the UR824, the dspMixFx app allows you to utilize the benefits of Yamaha's custom-designed SSP2 DSP chip directly on your iPad. The dspMixFx app provides latency-free monitoring while running the highly acclaimed REV-X reverb, the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip and Guitar Amp Classics with other iOS audio apps.
- Guitar Amp Classics: Guitar Amp Classics make extensive use of advanced Yamaha modeling technology. Four amp types with completely different sonic characteristics are provided, CLEAN, CRUNCH, DRIVE and LEAD. Best of all, you get a DSP-powered version and a VST 3 version of Guitar Amp Classics. So you can record the dry signal with your favorite amp sound without any latency using the DSP version. Once you're done, you can re-amp the recorded track with the VST 3 version.
- Sweet Spot Morphing: The Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip consists of a sidechain-enabled compressor and a three-band parametric equalizer. Both EQ and compressor were developed to attain a highly musical sound. Its featured morph knob smoothly allows you to morph through both EQ and compression settings in combination in order for you to come up with the ideal sound very quickly just by using one single control element.
- REV-X Reverb: The REV-X built into the UR824 is a complex reverb algorithm developed by Yamaha. Renowned for its high density, richly reverberant sound quality, with smooth attenuation, spread and depth that work together to enhance the original sound, the REV-X features three types of reverb effects: Hall, Room and Plate simulations with reverb time and level control.
Note: The UR824 can be switched to CC (Class Compliant) mode. In this mode the interfaces work with the iPad (2 or later) through Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit. Combining the UR units with an iOS audio application, such as Steinberg's Cubasis, you get a fully mobile audio recording solution.
Front-Panel Inputs: The UR824's front-panel hosts two Neutrik combo TRS/XLR connectors for balanced microphone/line input with switchable 48-volt phantom power and Hi-Z, pad push buttons for signal attenuation, gain controls with peak indicators. On the right hand side there's a single output level rotary knob that allows you to easily adjust the levels of the eight line output signals alongside two headphone connectors, each with a dedicated level control. The output signal to be controlled by the front-panel rotary is selected through the software.
Rear-Panel Inputs: The rear panel provides six Neutrik combo TRS/XLR inputs and eight analog balanced TRS outputs as well as two pairs of optical ADAT inputs and outputs. Also on board are two BNC connectors for switchable word clock input and output. Developed by using advanced technologies to offer seamless scalability, this mixing and recording interface offers options to expand the number of analog inputs and outputs across the system via ADAT to provide up to 24 input and output channels.
System Requirements: The minimum system requirements state the minimal specification your computer must have to be able to use the software.
|Firmware Ver. 2.0: Windows 7 SP1 / Windows 8 |
Firmware Ver. 1.0 - 1.5: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8
|Firmware Ver. 2.0: Mac OS X 10.7 / 10.8 |
Firmware Ver. 1.0 - 1.5: Mac OS X version 10.5.8 / 10.6 / 10.7 / 10.8
|Intel or AMD dual core CPU||Intel dual core CPU|
|4GB of free HD space|
|Display resolution of 1280 x 800 recommended|
|DVD-ROM dual-layer drive|
|USB 2.0/3.0 port|
|Internet connection required for installation, activation, account setup and personal / product registration. To complete the Cubase AI installation, a download of approximately 500 MB is required|
Note: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is a software program required when connecting the UR22 to a computer. Make sure to install it before initially using the device. Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is a software program that allows communication between the device and a computer.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Cory Teitelbaum
The Steinberg UR824 recording interface gives you up to 24 channels, so you can record the entire band at once. It features Yamaha mic preamps and built-in effects.