Roku Ultra 4660R
4K Ultra HD streaming TV and media player with Wi-Fi® and HDR
Roku Ultra 4660R - enhanced "point anywhere" remote with voice search and headphone jack for personal TV
Item # 4214660R | MFR # 4660R
Price Break: -$10.00
$89.99 Earn up to 90 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Roku Ultra 4660R by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The compact Roku Ultra fits into your TV setup and serves up a ton of streaming 4K and HD channels.
Stream 4K/HDR video with Roku's best player
I know from experience — when you get a 4K TV, you want to watch shows and movies that really show off the picture. After I purchased an OLED TV, I became spoiled and now can only watch Stranger Things in 4K. (For me, the rich imagery adds even more texture — and extra dread — to the story-telling.) The Roku Ultra connects to your TV and serves up the largest selection of 4K and HDR streaming video services, movies, and shows available in one “box.”
Roku's unbiased search finds the cheapest way to watch your favorite shows.
"Point anywhere” remote with headphone jack
Roku's redesigned remote is easy to use and can even control your TV's volume. Since the remote communicates over Wi-Fi, you can store the player out of sight and still have full control. Worried about keeping track of another clicker? You can press the "find my remote" button on the Roku Ultra, and the remote will make a sound.
The remote also has a 3.5mm headphone jack for personal listening. Use your own headphones or the included earbuds and watch TV without disturbing others.
Unbiased search — with your voice
The remote also features voice control. Tap the voice search button on the remote, and call out the name of a movie, show, or actor. Roku's “unbiased search” will hunt through the top channels for the cheapest way to watch. That's pretty handy for cost-conscious cord-cutters who no longer pay for cable.
Do "smart TV" owners need a Roku?
While most 4K TVs have some streaming services baked in, Roku offers the most complete list of 4K options I've seen. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu are all available in 4K. Plus there's a ridiculous amount of standard HD streaming channels – movie channels, news, kids, sports, you name it.
The Roku Ultra also has a snappy interface, thanks to its quad-core processing. You can breeze through the menu and swiftly load up channels. If you're looking for a particular show or movie,
My Roku experience: It's not just for cord cutters
While I've dabbled in cord-cutting, I'm currently a cable subscriber. Still, I call the Roku I bought for my bedroom TV the best bang-for-my-buck purchase I've made all year. It gives me on-demand shows from my cable channels like FX, HBO, AMC, and more. So I can watch Fargo or Better Call Saul on my own time — without having to rent another cable box.
Plus, late at night, I can plug my headphones into the remote and listen at a volume where dialogue is still clear. That's how I recently re-watched The Sopranos, binging through the first two seasons after my wife went to sleep. (The show still holds up, by the way.)
Quick and easy setup
The Roku Ultra connects to your TV via a single HDMI cable. Then it connects to your network wirelessly via Wi-Fi. You log on, type in your Wi-Fi password, and that's basically it — all the instructions are on-screen. (Or, plug it into your router and network hub with an Ethernet cable.)
Remote app with personal listening mode
Roku's free mobile app lets you operate the player using your Apple® or Android™ device. Choose what you want to watch and control video playback from your phone. You can also connect headphones and hear TV sound, just like with the remote.
- plays streaming video and music services to your TV and home audio setup
- full 4K video resolution for use with Ultra HD TVs
- 4K video upscaling for 1080p and 720p content
- supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- supports HDR10 format
- built-in 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi for fast video streaming and loading
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
Enhanced Remote Features:
- redesigned "point-anywhere" remote with voice search
- operates player via Wi-Fi direct so you can store player out of sight
- search by title, actor, or director via voice command
- connect headphones to remote for personal TV listening (earbuds included)
- remote finder function sends out audible signal so you can locate your lost changer
- free downloadable Roku app (available from the App Store and Google Play) lets you control the player using your smart device
- search and choose video channels and control playback
- connect headphones to your phone and listen to TV audio without disturbing others
- built-in IR receiver for use with universal remote
Streaming Video and Music Channels (some subscriptions or purchases required):
- 4K/ UHD video channels like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, and Smithsonian Earth
- Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and Fandango Now available with HDR
- Spotify®, Pandora®, and other streaming music services
- YouTube, PBS, CW, ABC, and other free video channels
- HBO NOW, SHOWTIME, STARZ, FXNOW, AMC, and other movie/TV channels
- Disney Junior, Nick Jr, PBS KIDS and other children's programming
- WatchESPN, NBC Sports, FOX Sports GO, and other sports channels
- MLB, NBA, WWE Network, UFCTV, and NHL streaming channels
- live streaming cable TV alternatives:
- Playstation Vue
- DIRECTV Now
- YouTube TV
Connections and General Info:
- 1 HDMI 2.0a output
- connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input
- USB port to play music, movies, and images from thumb drives
- microSD input (apps load faster with memory card inserted)
- quad-core processor for fast, smooth video streaming
- Dolby® and DTS® sound pass-through
- "unbiased search" finds free or lowest-cost movies and TV shows across the top streaming channels
- "night mode" curbs louder noises for late-night viewing
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- Ethernet port for wired internet connectivity
- 4-15/16"W x 15/16"H x 4-15/16"D
- weight: 7.9 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed internet connection
What's in the Box:
- Network audio/video streaming player
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- In-ear headphones
- 3 Pair of eartips (S/M/L)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product Information
I love this device. This is my third one. The two previous ones a Roku 1 and Roku 3 still work great. Just wanted to upgrade to latest model. I'm moving to 4K Tv.
William, Carson City, NV
Roku Ultra 4660R Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Roku Ultra: The Roku Ultra (4660R) is a wireless network audio/video streaming player which gives you access to 450,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels. Setting up the Roku Ultra requires a broadband internet connection, a wireless router, AC power, and a HDTV, Ultra-HD, or 4K/HDR TV with an available HDMI input. There are no monthly equipment rental fees for owning a Roku player. You can rent, buy, subscribe or watch popular movies & TV shows, as well as tune into free channels.
- The Roku Ultra can be used in combination with your cable subscription. You can use your cable subscription to stream what you love on-demand through apps like HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, WatchESPN, and more.
- You can also use the Roku Ultra as an alternate to cable. Choose from a wide selection of free services, pay-as-you-go with monthly subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu; or rent movies and shows from Amazon Video, Google Play, and more. Roku also offers live news, and popular cable-replacement packages like Sling TV with live and on-demand programming from ESPN, HGTV, and dozens more channels.
Note: You will need to setup a Roku account to activate the wireless network streaming player and access entertainment across thousands of streaming channels. Adding a payment method to your account lets you easily rent/buy movies on demand or subscribe to popular services like Netflix, Amazon, etc..
Built-in Quad-Core Processor & Dual Band WiFi: The Roku Ultra (4660R) is equipped with a fast quad-core processor and built-in 802.11ac MIMO dual-band WiFi for responsive navigation, quick channel launching, and ultra-smooth streaming. The streaming playing is also equipped with a RJ-45 Ethernet (10/100) jack for a wired connection. The Roku streaming player must be connected to your home network and the internet provider.
- Roku streaming devices perform well with most home broadband services (DSL or cable internet). Movies and TV shows streamed in higher picture quality formats like 4K or HDR require more bandwidth and therefore need higher internet speeds (up to 25 Mbps). Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for details about the available services in your area.
- Using a mobile hotspot is not recommended, considering they are generally not as reliable as home broadband.
Entertainment Apps: The Roku Ultra lets you wirelessly stream blockbuster movies, TV shows, live TV, popular broadcast networks, niche channels. TV shows, live sports, news, and music. You have access to 500,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels, including Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, Pandora, PBS Kids, and more.
- 4K/HDR Content: Access 4K and HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Video, Vudu, YouTube, FandangoNow, and more. There is also a 4K Spotlight channel that is installed. In addition to a list of channels that offer 4K content, the 4K Spotlight channel presents 4K movies and TV shows across multiple channels in different categories.
- More Movies & TV Shows: Enjoy movies & TV shows from Hulu, Google Play Movies & TV, HBO GO/HBO NOW, Starz, ShowTime, and more.
- Broadcast Networks: Catch up on your favorite programs from CBS All Access, ABC, NBC, The CW, PBS, FXNOW, FOX Now, A&E, AMC, History Channel, Lifetime, USA, HGTV, Travel Channel, and more
- Live TV: Watch live TV on Sling TV & PlayStation Vue.
- Internet Radio & Music: Listen to internet radio & online music through TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, and more.
- Kids & Family: Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, PBS Kids, and more.
- News & Weather: Get news updates from ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, NBC News, AOL On News, and more. Plus, get weather forecasts from The Weather Network and more.
- Sports & Fitness: Enjoy games, watch highlights, and catch up on scores through WatchESPN, MLB.TV, NBC Sports, NBA, NFL, Fox Sports GO, NHL, and more. Also get workouts from Daily Burn, Beachbody On Demand, All Fitness TV, and more.
- Click here for a list of all available content from Roku.
- Many of Roku's free channels are ad-supported, while other paid apps (like Netflix & Amazon Video) are commercial free.
HDMI 2.0a Output: The Roku Ultra (4660R) is equipped with a rear-panel HDMI 2.0a output with support for 720p HD, 1080p Full HD, 4K Ultra HD (UHD), and 4K HDR video resolution. The HDMI output cannot be set to output 480i, 480p, or 1080i. The HDMI 2.0a output also supports 2 to 5.1ch audio transmission, including support for Dolby Digital & DTS.
- Ultra-HD 4K Compatible: The term "4K" (also known as 4K Ultra High Definition, 4K Ultra HD, or just 4K UHD) refers to the resolution of the TV, which is a measure of how much detail you can see on the screen. A traditional 1080p high definition TV has 1,920 vertical columns and 1,080 horizontal rows of pixels, while a 4K Ultra HD TV has a total resolution of 3,840 pixels by 2,160. With 4x the resolution of 1080p HD displays, 4K offers improvement in picture clarity over existing HD resolutions.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video: The Roku Ultra supports HDR 10. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a technology that helps to expand the range of brightness, contrast, and color significantly. Bright parts of the image can get much brighter with better color accuracy, while dark parts of the image can get much darker improving the contrast. Overall, the image is more natural looking with a greater sense of depth.
Notes: Requirements for Ultra-HD 4K & HDR.
- A compatible 4K HDR TV with an available HDMI 2.0 input that supports HDCP 2.2 (HDCP 2.2 is a copy and content protection standard for 4K Ultra HD content), plus a premium high speed HDMI cable.
- A steady wireless internet connection with enough bandwidth to stream 4K (up to 25 Mbps might be needed).
- A streaming service like Netflix, Amazon Video, Vudu, or YouTube with a plan that supports streaming of 4K Ultra HD and/or HDR content. Not all content available from a streaming service that supports 4K HDR will appear in 4K HDR. Look for movies or TV shows that are marked with an HDR logo. 4K and HDR content is not available on all channels and may require additional fees.
TV & AVR Connectivity: The Roku Ultra (4660R) can be connected directly to an HDTV or Ultra-HD 4K TV, as well as connected to an audio/video receiver.
- TV Compatibility: Compatible with HDTVs (up to 1080p with up-scaling from 720p), 4K UHD TVs (up to 2160p at 60fps with up-scaling from 720p and 1080p), and 4K UHD/HDR TVs (supports HDR10 technology) that feature an HDMI input. It is not compatible with standard definition TVs that only support 480i or 480p. Make sure to use a high-speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps or above for connection.
- AVR Compatibility: If you have an AVR (audio/video receiver) or home theater with HDMI connections for HD video and audio, you can connect your Roku player directly to the AVR. In addition to HD 1080p video, the Roku player support 4K and HDR formats, so your AVR will need to support 4K or HDR as well to send higher picture quality to your compatible TV. 2-channel and multi-channel audio signals (including Dolby Digital & DTS) are delivered via HDMI.
Note: The Roku streaming player is designed to work with only one TV and/or AVR at a time.
RF Remote: The Roku Ultra includes an RF remote for wireless operation of the network audio/video streamer. Because the remote is RF (and not IR), you can point it anywhere and still control the TV; you don't have to aim it at the television. The remote offers push-button operation and a built-in microphone for voice control. The remote is powered by two "AAA" batteries (included).
- Voice Control: The remote features a built-in microphone which allows you to use your voice to control the Roku Streaming Stick+. Simply press the "Mic" button and speak naturally into the built-in microphone using conversational phrases to find your favorite TV shows and movies from online providers and broadcast stations.
- Shortcut Buttons: The remote also offers shortcut buttons for immediate access of Netflix, Amazon, Sling TV, & PlayStation Vue.
- Remote Finder: There is a Lost Remote Finder button on top of the Roku player which will help you find your lost remote. The remote will emit a sound to help you locate it. Press any button on the remote to stop the sound.
Note: The Roku Ultra also features an IR receiver and is compatible with various universal remote controls (sold separately).
Roku Mobile App: Get the free Roku Mobile app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.0.1+) to turn your compatible smartphone or tablet into fully functional remote control for the Roku Premiere media streamer. To use the Roku mobile app, you must connect your Apple iOS or Android device to the same wireless network as the Roku player. The following features are available on the Roku Mobile app.
- Launch Apps & Follow Favorites: You'll be able to launch your favorite channels directly from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even follow your favorite movies, shows, and actors/directors using the "My Feed" feature of the Roku Mobile app.
- Voice & Touchscreen Control: Using the app and mic of your compatible mobile device, you can even use your voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, and directors. You can also use your mobile device's touchscreen keyboard to enter text on your Roku device.
- Private Listening Mode: Using the Private Listening mode, you'll be able to listen to audio from streaming movies or shows through a set of headphones connected to your Apple iOS or Android device. When Private Listening mode is active, you will not hear audio from your TV speakers.
- Device-to-TV Casting: You can cast your personal stored videos (MP4/MOV/M4V), photos (JPG/PNG), and music (MP3/M4A) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the Roku Ultra and your connected TV using the Roku Mobile app. Only video and photos taken with your mobile device are supported.
Content Search & Recommendations: You can search across the top 100 channels to find where movies and shows are available for free, or see unbiased results ranked by price across top channels. Search by title, actor, or director using the included IR remote & on-screen menu or the Roku Mobile app for Apple iOS & Android OS. You'll also get weekly recommendations of the latest and greatest channels, movies, TV shows, games, and more.
Private & Night Listening Modes: The Roku Ultra offers a Night Listening mode and private listening through a set of headphones.
- Night Listening Mode: Movies and TV shows can have a wide range of sounds. Night Listening mode is an audio feature of Roku that allows you to watch movies and TV shows without disturbing others nearby. When Night Listening mode is enabled, the volume of soft sounds like whispering is increased while the volume of loud sounds like explosions is decreased.
- Headphone Jack (In-Ear Headphones Included): There is a 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack on the included RF remote control for connection of the included in-ear headphones, so you can privately listen to your movie or TV show. When private listening is engaged, the Roku player does not send audio to your TV speakers. You can also connect your own set of headphones with a 3.5mm connector.
microSD Card Slot & USB Port: The Roku Ultra is equipped with a microSD card slot for additional channel storage using an optional microSD or microSDHC memory card (sold separately). There is also a USB (type-A) port for local playback of movie, photo, and music files stored on a USB mass storage class device, like USB thumbdrive. Supported USB media formats include -
- Video: H.264/AVC (MKV, MP4, MOV); H.265/HEVC (MKV, MP4, MOV); VP9 (MKV)
- Audio: MP3, WMA, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, WAV (PCM)
- Photo: JPG, PNG, GIF (no-animated)
Intuitive On-Screen Menu: The Roku Ultra offers an intuitive on-screen menu which is displayed on your HDMI connected TV. The on-screen menu is easily navigated using the included IR remote control.
AC Power Adapter: The Roku Ultra comes with an external AC power adapter which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. Power consumption is 4.5W (typical) when streaming.
- Input: 100-240V~50-60Hz, 0.5A
- Output: 12V - 1.0A
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Best reviews [ P Sep 05, 2018 ]
This is my 2nd Roku; this will go on the family room TV. Makes streaming an entirely new experience; selection of streaming sources is amazing, and the picture and sound quality are the best. [ Larry Aug 22, 2018 ]
ethernet port [ Mike Aug 21, 2018 ]
Wanted newer version to replace my Roku 3 [ B Aug 20, 2018 ]
Going to try and cut the cable cord!!! Mark [ Mark Aug 12, 2018 ]
Decided to try this new Roku 4660R unit to stream PBS shows, and shows on Netflix. My Sony Blu-Ray player does not stream PBS, and the interface for Netflix is very slow! Hopefully we'll be happy with the Roku. [ Edward Aug 01, 2018 ]
I want to get rid of DirecTV. Since they were acquired by AT&T their quality and customer service has decreased significantly. [ Jonathan Jul 05, 2018 ]
Switching form Comcast Cable TV to YoutTube TV. Wanted the Roku to act as a cable box for the YouTube TV service. [ Steve Jun 02, 2018 ]
I have4k tv and this was listed to support the advanced streaming for my Samsung NU8500 55" tv. [ Anne Jun 02, 2018 ]
Great little head unit for a media server [ Rick May 30, 2018 ]
To replace our older roku [ Enrique May 03, 2018 ]
This is the newest model. [ Mary May 02, 2018 ]
ethernet [ tileston Apr 09, 2018 ]
stronger wifi and 4k ready [ Michael Jan 31, 2018 ]
Great experience with previous Roku and with purchase of 4K Sony HDR, want to see select Netflix programming in all their 4k glory! Also, Roku works nicely with our Logitech Harmony Elite. [ Phillip Jan 25, 2018 ]
Cost. confidence in Crutchfied service and return based on 10-15 years of my purchases. [ Robert Jan 25, 2018 ]
I just purchased the Sony XBR-800E 65" TV from Crutchfield and need a streaming player that handles 4K HDR. I have had great reliability and channel selection with my standard Roku player. The price at Crutchfield is competitive. [ Barry Jan 21, 2018 ]
Chat with crutchfield advisor and he recommended this model. I was advised to get a roku by a friend. [ D Jan 18, 2018 ]
The ethernet port allows hardwired internet connection for better streaming quality. [ David Jan 10, 2018 ]
Needed a new Roku. This is my fourth, all have been great fun and no trouble [ MIKE Jan 08, 2018 ]
I purchased a new 4K tv [ William Dec 27, 2017 ]
4K HDR content from Amazon and NetFlix. Needed to be able to run 4K video to TV, audio to pre-amp via Oppo 203 player. Roku still has the most content, and cheaper vs Apple, Google, etc. [ Gary Dec 26, 2017 ]
A guess. Not very techi. Have one Roku and like it. [ Janis Dec 24, 2017 ]
the best media tv & shows streamer out today. great price & purchase [ larry Dec 21, 2017 ]
Earbuds [ Joseph Dec 10, 2017 ]
4K and HDR support [ Mark Dec 05, 2017 ]
awesome [ ALFRED Nov 29, 2017 ]
Compatibility with new TV [ E Nov 24, 2017 ]
The Roku Ultra 4660R has earphones that plug in the remote and you can listen to your movie without disturbing anyone else in the room. It is also voice activated through the remote, and streams in 4k, and 1080p. [ Bob Nov 06, 2017 ]
3 questions already asked
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Feb 19, 2018 ] Staff
No, the indoor HGTV antenna connects directly to the TV. The Roku also connects to the TV using an available HDMI port, or connects to a home theater receiver using an available HDMI port. [ lessthanzero Nov 25, 2017 ]
No. You have to connect the antenna to the TV. [ ED Nov 25, 2017 ]
There is no listed maximum capacity and no minimum recommended speed requirements for the microSD card. [ Ryan Nov 21, 2017 ] Staff