Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Telephoto zoom lens for Nikon SLR cameras
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Item # 05420058 | MFR # 20058
Out of Stock
Ship date unknown
$1,399.95 Earn up to 1,400 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A powerful, far-reaching lens
For outstanding wildlife and sports photography, you need a lens that brings your subjects within easy reach. This 200-500mm super telephoto lens brings distant subjects within easy reach. Nikon's Silent Wave motor technology lets you focus quickly and quietly, while the manual focus ring lets you override autofocus at any time to fine-tune your shot. An electronic diaphragm mechanism ensures consistent exposure with high-speed continuous shooting so you can capture thrilling action sequences. Vibration Reduction keeps your shots sharp and steady so you can use slower shutter speeds in lower light, and Sports Mode compensates for camera shake when panning to track moving subjects.
- AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 300-750mm with APS-C (Nikon DX format) sensor cameras
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- manual and autofocus modes
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- minimum focus distance: 7-1/4 ft.
- minimum aperture: f/32
- lens construction: 19 elements in 12 groups
- 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- attachment/filter size: 95mm
- lens is 4-3/16" in diameter, 10-3/4" long
- weight: 5.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- accessory hood, front and rear lens caps, and lens pouch
What's in the Box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR (#20058) with attached tripod collar
- LC-95 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-71 Lens hood
- CL-1434 Soft lens pouch
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
have not had an opportunity to use this lens to its potential, It is sturdy which adds to the weight and will mostly be using with tripod or monopod traveling around photographing birds
Amy, Katonah, NY
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens is a super telephoto zoom lens. It is ideal for photographing birds and wildlife, sporting events, and more. The lens comes with an attached tripod collar, the HB-71 lens hood and the CL-1434 soft storage pouch.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format (full frame) cameras, but it is also compatible with Nikon's DX-format cameras. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the D5300 or D7100, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 300-750mm.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to to use shutter speeds up to 4.5 stops slower than normal, using Sports Mode. The VR Mode can be set to Normal or Sports, and Vibration Reduction can be turned on or off via separate two-way switches on the lens barrel.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism (E): The lens has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide accurate aperture blade control during auto-exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional lenses (D/G types) have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Super Integrated Coating: The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) uses ultrasonic vibrations, instead of a gear system, to enable fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you switch between focus modes: M (manual) and M/A (autofocus with manual override). For Auto Focus mode, the camera must be in AF mode and the lens switch in the M/A position. In this mode, the lens will focus when the camera shutter is pressed halfway, however, you can override the focus by rotating the lens focus ring. You can easily switch to full manual focus by moving the Focus Mode switch to the M position (even if the camera is in AF mode). If the camera is in Manual Focus (MF) mode, autofocus will not operate.
Focus Limit Switch: The two-way Focus Limit switch determines the focus distance limits for autofocus. You can select Full to use the entire focus range, or ∞ (infinity)-6m if your subject will always be at least 6 meters (19.7') away.
Zoom Ring Lock: You can lock the zoom ring to prevent the lens from extending under its own weight while the camera is being carried from place to place.
Tripod Collar: The lens has an attached tripod collar for mounting the lens and camera. This provides much better balance, and takes pressure off of the camera's tripod socket. The tripod collar can be loosened, allowing you to rotate the lens and camera between wide ("landscape") and tall ("portrait") orientations. There are markings every 90° to use as a guide. The tripod collar can also be removed, if desired.
Lens Hood: The included HB-71 lens hood blocks stray light from getting into the lens causing flare or ghosting. It also protects the front of the lens from direct contact, as well as keeping dirt, rain, and snow out. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 4" to the overall length of the lens. It can be inverted and reverse-mounted when not in use.
Optional Teleconverters: The zoom power of the AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR can be extended through the use of optional Nikon teleconverters. The lens is compatible with the TC-14E, TC-17E, and TC-20E series teleconverters to extend the reach by 1.4x, 1.7x, or 2.0x, respectively.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 200mm-500mm
- Filter Diameter: 95mm
- Lens Construction: 19 elements in 12 groups (including 3 ED lens elements)
- Closest Focus Distance: 7.22' (2.2m)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system with AutoFocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor, and a separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range: f/5.6 (minimum) to f/32mm (maximum)
- Angle of View: 12°20' - 5°00' (FX-format cameras), 8°00' - 3°10' (DX-format cameras)
- Dimensions: Diameter=4.165" (Height with tripod collar=5.137") Length=10.75" (11.44" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 5 pounds 1.2 ounces (with tripod collar), 4 pounds 9.8 ounces (w/o tripod collar)
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Wanted to explore more wildlife photography. [ Erik Jan 20, 2018 ]
I need more zoom on the long end than my current 28mm - 300mm when at a zoo or sporting event. [ George Aug 12, 2017 ]
Reviews were positive [ John Apr 06, 2017 ]
is very sharp at any distance, however, is a little bit short compared with the sigma contemporary....in some cases if the range its not an issue go with the Nikon 200-500, but if the range its an issue then go with the sigma contemporary 150-600, ... [ JUAN Feb 23, 2017 ]
Crutchfield email, and the reviews were outstanding. I was in the market for a really good lens for wildlife photography. This fit my needs for my NIKON D610. [ George Dec 05, 2016 ]
I need a long zoom and this lens is highly rated. [ Curzon Nov 12, 2016 ]
Excellent lens at an affordable price. [ Joseph Mar 24, 2016 ]
Nikon's quality and pricing is hard to beat. [ Ryan Feb 27, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
Yes it would and since you have a crop factor camera this lens would be a 300mm - 750mm on your camera. [ George Sep 03, 2017 ]
Yes, it would... [ JUAN Sep 03, 2017 ]
This lens should fit the D50, however, using it on a camera with only 6.5 mega pic resolution and DX format, I personally feel would be an over kill. The lens is intended to be used with an FX Format ( full frame camera ) at f5.6 from 200 - 500mm focal lengths. DX would render a focal length around 400 - 700mm. A suggestion is to use a very sturdy tripod equipped with a good quality mount. This lens is heavy. It is a great lens for it's price. [ Joseph Apr 11, 2016 ]
Yes it will,and Work correctly.Pesonally, I would Upgrade to a newer Camera. [ Anthony Apr 11, 2016 ]
Yes it will. I own the D50 and tried the lens on it and it worked beautifully. I bought the lens for my D7100 and the lens takes great pictures. Highly recommend. [ Brian Apr 11, 2016 ]
Yes, it will. [ CRAIG Apr 11, 2016 ]
Frequently Compared With
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Telephoto zoom lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
Standard macro prime lens with built-in Macro Lite for APS-C sensor Canon EOS DSLR cameras
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Standard prime lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
L Series telephoto zoom lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras