Sony SEL85F18 FE 85mm F/1.8
Medium telephoto prime lens for Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
Item # 158E85F18 | MFR # SEL85F18
Out of Stock
Instant Savings: -$50.00
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony SEL85F18 FE 85mm F/1.8 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The SEL85F18's nine circular aperture blades produce smooth defocused backgrounds so your subject is sure to stand out.
A lightweight, performance-oriented prime
This 85mm prime lens from Sony has the perfect focal length for taking portraits at a relaxed distance from your subject. It's great for close-ups, candids, and detail shots. This lens excels indoors and in low light, thanks to its large maximum aperture.
- 85mm f/1.8 medium telephoto prime lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 85mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 127.5mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- minimum focus distance: 2.63'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 9 elements in 8 groups
- one ED (extra-low-dispersion) element for sharp, clear pictures with well-defined colors
- nine rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- double linear motor system for quiet, precise autofocus
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- focus hold button for added control
- filter/attachment size: 67mm
- lens is 3-1/8" in diameter and 3-1/4" long
- weight: 13.1 oz.
- lens hood, front and rear lens caps
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- FE 85mm F1.8 lens
- 67mm Front lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH150 Lens hood
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- "For customers using an a-series Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera" sheet
- Limited Warranty sheet
- European Guarantee Information Document
The lens is SUPER SHARP and great for Portrait on A7M3. I had it for about 2 weeks and the photo/video quality meets all my expectation for Church and Wedding!
Eric, Fremont, CA
Sony SEL85F18 FE 85mm F/1.8 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Sony FE 85mm F1.8 lens is a full frame (35mm) mid-range telephoto prime lens that is ideal for portrait photography. The SEL85F18 has a 9-blade circular aperture to give you a beautiful bokeh effect (blurred background elements). The FE85mm lens comes with front and rear lens caps, and a lens hood.
Compatibility: The SEL85F18 has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors:
- Compatible Full Frame Cameras: The lens is fully compatible with the α7 II (ILCE-7M2), α7R II (ILCE-7RM2) and α7S II (ILCE-7SM2). It will work (with some restrictions) with the α7S (ILCE-7S), α7R (ILCE-7R), and α7 (ILCE-7).
- Other E-mount Cameras: The lens will fit these E-mount cameras, but
because they are not full frame cameras, the image will be cropped:
- Fully Compatible: α6500 (ILCE-6500)
- Will work (with some restrictions): α3000 (ILCE-3000), α3500 (ILCE-3500), α5000 (ILCE-5000), α5100 (ILCE-5100), α6000 (ILCE-6000), α6300 (ILCE-6300) NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, and NEX-F3.
Lens Elements: The SEL85F18 has 9 lens elements in 8 groups, including one ED (extra-low dispersion) element to reduce chromatic aberrations.
Double Linear Motor System: The lens' double linear motor system allows fast, accurate auto focusing, even at maximum F1.8 aperture where the depth of field is very shallow. This system is ideal for movie recording because of its rapid response and quiet operation.
Focus Hold: The Focus Hold button cancels Auto Focusing when pressed and held, and fixes the focus so you can release the shutter at the current focus. You can start Auto Focusing again by releasing the Focus Hold button and pressing the shutter button halfway.
Lens Hood: The SEL85F18 comes with the ALC-SH150 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. The lens hood adds approximately 1-1/2" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 85mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 127.5mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: F1.8
- Minimum Aperture: F22
- Angle of View: 29° (35mm), 19° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.63' (31.56")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.13x
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.075", Length 3.429" (3.949" with lens caps)
- Weight: 13.1 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
killer sharp optic [ S Nov 23, 2017 ]
i have a sony a7ii and wanted a medium tele to use with it. [ Barry Jun 30, 2017 ]
It is one of the best portrait lenses in its price range. [ Patrick May 12, 2017 ]