GoPro HERO5 Session
Compact 4K Ultra HD action camera with Wi-Fi®
From GoPro: The New GoPro Experience
Item # 770HDHS502 | MFR # CHDHS-502
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the GoPro HERO5 Session by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The GoPro HERO5 Session is tough enough to survive a pool day with the kids.
Make small talk with the compact HERO5 Session. It listens.
"GoPro, start recording." Speak your wishes out loud, and the HERO5 Session goes to work. GoPro Session cameras are known for their streamlined, yet rugged build and ability to shoot crystal-clear video and stills.
This leap forward in voice control just adds to its legacy as a tough, easy-to-use, all-around action camera. Just imagine — press the large button on top of the camera to start recording your adventure, and then you won't have to touch it again. Just tell the camera what to do, and it will be done.
Incredibly sharp photos and video
There are plenty of bells and whistles on the HERO5 Session, and it's still great at what it's supposed to be great at — taking beautiful pictures and videos. It shoots sharp, bright 4K video at 30 frames per second, and HD video at up to 90 fps, so you can capture big moments in slow-mo. It's a dynamite still camera as well, with a 10-megapixel image sensor that can shoot in single shot, burst, and time lapse modes. And you can fine-tune exposure settings from the on-screen menu.
More adventure-ready than ever before
Earlier versions of the HERO camera could be submerged to 33 feet with the help of an add-on case. The HERO5 Session has been improved to the point where it can match that performance benchmark straight out of the box. No need to pause and reach for the accessory bag when you're ready to jump into the ocean right now — your camera is ready to go when you are. And the camera's built-in GPS lets you add tags that remind you exactly where you were when you share with friends later.
- 10-megapixel Ultra HD (30 fps) action camera
- shoots 4K video at 30 frames per second
- waterproof to 33 feet without external housing
- single button powers the camera on and starts recording instantly
- advanced video stabilization keeps handheld shots smooth and jitter-free
- remotely control the camera with simple voice commands
- single shot, burst, and time lapse photo modes
- records stereo audio with advanced noise rejection
- set the camera to auto-upload to the cloud so you don't lose footage
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
- records to microSD card (Speed Class 10 recommended)
- curved and flat adhesive mounts included
Connections and Warranty:
- mini USB connector for charging and file transfer (cable included)
- 1-1/2"W x 1-7/16"H x 1-1/2"D
- weight: 2.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- GoPro HERO5 Session action camcorder
- Standard frame (installed)
- 22" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Mounting buckle (installed)
- Thumbscrew (installed)
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product + Safety Information booklet
- Sheet of 2 GoPro decals
This camera well ( GOPRO) camera is awesome!!!!!!
Osmar, Miami, FL
GoPro HERO5 Session Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||N/A|
|Total Pixel Count||10 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||10 MP|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||---|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||10 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||2.6|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The GoPro HERO5 Session (CHDHS-502) is a tiny, waterproof action camera, designed to take 4K UHD and HD videos, plus up to 10-megapixel still photos in extreme situations. A simple one-button control powers on the camera and starts recording video or time-lapse photos in seconds. The HERO5 Session features video stabilization and voice control. The camera comes with a standard frame and mounting buckle, plus flat and curved surface mounts.
Waterproof: The rugged HERO5 Session is waterproof to 33 feet (10 meters) without a special housing with the door closed.
Video Resolution: The HERO5 Session is capable of recording 4K, Full HD, and HD video in MPEG-4 (H.264) format. You can choose from several Fields of View (FOV), including SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow. The camera can be set to record in NTSC (for North America) or PAL (for outside of North America). The following video resolution options are available:
|Video Resolution||Frame Rates |
|Field of View||Screen Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|4K||30 (25)||Wide||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|2.7K||48 (48)||Medium||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K||30 (25) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K 4:3||30 (25)||Wide||2704 x 2028||4:3|
|1440p||60 (50) |
|Wide||1920 x 1440||4:3|
|1080p||90 (90)||Wide||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|1080p||60 (50)||SuperView, Wide, Linear||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|1080p||30 (25) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear, Narrow||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|960p||100 (100) |
|Wide||1280 x 960||4:3|
|720p||120 (120)||Wide||1280 x 720||16:9|
|720p||60 (50) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium||1280 x 720||16:9|
Dual Microphones: The camera records the audio with dual built-in microphones: one mounted on the front and the other mounted on the back. When filming in windy conditions or high-speed activities, wind noise can result in poor quality audio. The dual-microphones allow the camera to automatically switch to the mic that's best suited for capturing optimal audio. A 3.5mm stereo external microphone can be used with a GoPro microphone adapter. The camera records audio at a 48kHz sampling rate and AAC compression.
Still Images: The HERO5 Session can take still images at a 10MP resolution (3680 x 2760) in 4:3 aspect ratio. You can choose from four Fields of View: Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow. You can take still photos one at a time, or in a burst as follows:
- 30 photos in 1, 2, 3, or 6 seconds
- 10 photos in 1, 2, or 3 second
- 5 photos in 1 second
- 3 photos in 1 second
Time Lapse Video: A series of photos can be captured in a time lapse sequence. Time Lapse Video is available only in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, and 1080p resolutions. Available intervals include: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds.
Night Lapse: The Night Lapse feature allows you to capture a series of photos at nighttime. You can select intervals of 4-5 seconds, 10-15 seconds, 20-30 seconds, or Continuous. The Shutter speed for Night Lapse can also be selected according to your activity: Auto (up to 2 sec), 2, 5, 20, or 30 seconds. To prevent blurring, you should mount the camera on a tripod or other stable surface when using Night Lapse.
Voice Control: You can control the HERO5 Session with your voice using specific commands. The voice commands allow you to perform the following: Start or Stop capturing video, add a HiLight Tag, capture single or burst photos, start or stop time lapse, power off the camera, and change the camera mode (to video, photo, burst, or time lapse).
Storage: The HERO5 Session has a waterproof door that covers a slot for inserting a microSD memory card, including microSDHC and microSDXC cards, up to 128 GB. You should use microSD cards with a Class 10 or UHS-I rating for best performance. Memory cards from Sandisk and Lexar are recommended for maximum reliability during high-vibration activities. No memory card is included in this package.
Looping Video: The Looping Video feature lets you continuously record video, but save only the footage you want. This helps to conserve space on the memory card while you wait for a special moment to take place. If you select a 5-minute interval, the previous 5 minutes are saved when you stop recording. You can also select 20, 60, and 120 minutes, or Max to record until memory card is full before overwriting the content.
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth: The camera features built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that allows you to wirelessly connect to your smartphone or tablet via the GoPro App or the optional GoPro Smart Remote. The Smart Remote allows you to fully control the camera and change settings, or control multiple GoPro cameras from distances up to 600'.
GoPro Apps: GoPro offers three apps that you can use for shooting, viewing, and editing your videos and photos:
- Capture: The GoPro Capture App lets you control your camera remotely with your iPhone, iPad, or Android smartphone/tablet. The app lets you see what your camera sees, giving you a live preview for positioning the camera and framing your shots. You can playback your videos, view your photos, browse and delete files on the microSD card, and even share them via email, text, and social media sites. Capture is compatible with iPhone/iPad (requires iOS 9.0 or later, iPad 2 not supported), Apple Watch (requires WatchOS 2.0), and Android devices (Android 4.4 and later).
- Quik: The Quik app lets you create beautiful videos using automatic edits, and incorporating still photos into your videos. You can add transitions and effects, plus sync your video to the beat of the music. Quik is compatible with iPhone/iPad (requires iOS 9.0 or later, and Android devices (Android 4.4 and later).
- Splice: With the Splice App, you can create professional looking videos on your iPhone or iPad. You can trim and crop, add effects, transitions, music, and titles, and animate your videos. Splice is compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, and requires iOS 9.0 or later.
GoPro Studio for Desktops: GoPro Studio software can be downloaded to your desktop computers. It is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: 64-bit Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 in desktop mode. 32-bit systems are not supported.
- Mac: OS X 10.10.x or later
Battery: The HERO5 Session is powered by a built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.8V, 1000mAh, 3.23Wh). It has a battery life of approximately 2 hours 5 minutes. The battery can be charged by connecting the camera to a computer or other USB charging adapter (5V 1A) using the supplied USB cable. The battery is charged to approximately 80% capacity in 1 hour, or to a full charge in about 2 hours.
Auto Low Light: The Auto Low Light feature allows you to quickly transition between well-lit and low-light conditions. When enabled, the camera automatically adjusts the frame rate (fps) according to the lighting conditions for optimal exposures. Auto Low Light is available at 30 fps and higher.
Spot Meter: If you're shooting an outdoor scene from indoors, or a shaded area from a bright sunny area, you can activate the Spot Meter feature for best exposure. Spot Meter automatically sets the exposure based on a single spot in the middle of the image, instead of an average of the entire image.
Camera Orientation: The Orientation setting lets you determine if you want your captured video to be upside down or right-side up. You can choose the Auto setting (Auto Image Rotation) which lets the camera automatically select Up or Down, based on the orientation of the camera when recording begins. You can also manually select Up (right-side up) or Down (camera is being used upside down).
Protune: Protune is a feature for advanced users that can result in professional-looking videos. When Protune is enabled, you have more manual control of the exposure, giving you stunning image quality and cinema-like videos. Protune is compatible with professional color correction tools, GoPro software, and other video editing software. It is not available for Video + Photo, Looping Videos, or Time Lapse Video. The following settings are available in Protune mode:
- White Balance: You can set the white balance to adjust the overall color tone of the videos: Auto, 3000K, 4000K, 4800K, 5500K, 6000K, 6500K, or Native.
- Color: The Color Setting lets you adjust the color profile of the video. You can can choose from GoPro Color or Flat.
- ISO Limit: ISO Limit adjusts the camera's sensitivity in low-light environments, creating a balance between brightness and image noise (degree of graininess in the image). You can choose between 1600 for moderately bright video with moderate image noise, or 400 for darker video in low light with reduced image noise.
- Shutter: The Shutter setting determines the amount of time that the shutter is open. You can choose Auto, 1/FPS, 1/(2xFPS), or 1/(4xFPS).
- Sharpness: Sharpness controls the level of detail and contrast in your video. You can choose High, Medium, and Low levels of Sharpness.
- Exposure Value Compensation: Exposure Value Compensation affects the brightness of the video. The EV Comp can be set between -2.0 and +2.0 in 0.5 EV steps.
HiLight Tagging: The HERO5 Session lets you mark specific moments in your video during recording or playback with HiLight Tags, making the moments easier to locate. Tags can be added using the camera, the GoPro App, or the optional Smart Remote. During playback, the tags are visible in the GoPro App or GoPro software.
Connections: The HERO5 Session has a Micro USB port for connecting the camera to a computer, or for charging the battery. The port is located behind a waterproof door, above the microSD card slot.
Dimensions: Width 1.495" Height 1.498" Depth 1.433" (without frame)
Weight: 2.6 ounces (3.9 ounces in standard frame)
Mounting Frame: The HERO5 Session comes with the standard frame, which can be attached to any GoPro mount. You can position the camera with the shutter/select button in either the up or down position. The frame includes a loop that allows you to tether the frame to the mount to prevent loss during water activities. Camera tethers are sold separately.
Mounting Buckle: The frame fits into standard GoPro mounting buckles. The camera includes a Vertical Mounting buckle with a thumbscrew to tighten the frame into the buckle and an integrated rubber locking plug that securely locks the buckle into place in the mount.
Mounting Bases: The package includes a curved-surface and a flat-surface mount, each with industrial-grade adhesive, for mounting the camera to a helmet, vehicle, or other smooth surface.
Optional Mounts: GoPro offers numerous mounts for the HERO5 Session camera, including a head strap and chest harness. Other mounts can attach the camera to a bicycle seat post or handlebar, a roll bar, helmet, tripod, surfboard, or even your dog.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
This is my second Hero 5 Session. Unfortunately this excellent camera is discontinued so get them while you can. I use mine to capture flight video on my drone. Great video quality, good battery life in a super rugged form factor. [ Christopher Aug 28, 2018 ]
Es un pedido de mi hijo como regalo para él. [ Doris Apr 23, 2018 ]
GoPro has great products and I wanted to try this camera for a new project. [ Bruno Jan 25, 2018 ]
The main selling point for me was how compact this camera is and still is able to capture fantastic 4k video. [ Teri Dec 19, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
How many feet underwater? It's waterproof down to 33 feet without any external housings. The camera does provide a Micro USB port for connecting to a computer and/or charging the battery. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jun 09, 2018 ] Staff