California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Item # 863402VLZ4 | MFR # 2040768-00
Offers & Financing
Consult a pro audio advisor
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Mackie 402-VLZ4 by Crutchfield's Bob Bihlmayer
A little backstory
The extensive experience and phenomenal success of Mackie's line of mixers is no accident — it's the result of 40 years of experience producing and selling some of the world's most popular mixers and sound reinforcement equipment. Now, Mackie's accumulated knowledge and experience is brought to fruition with their line of VLZ ("Very Low Noise") mixers.
A diminuitive mixer
Mackie's 402VLZ4 ("Very Low Noise") brings those results to you in a versatile 4-channel mixer that's "built like a tank" with a rugged solid steel chassis. The mixer features two of Mackie's flagship Onyx microphone preamps, which offer the superior performance of a boutique mic preamp with the toughness needed to handle the pitfalls of life on the road. Each XLR input accepts balanced mic or line level signals and features phantom power for your condenser mics. You'll be impressed by the exceptional headroom and low noise of this well-designed mixer.
Mackie has packed serious features and functions into this little 4-channel mixer.
A little seasoning
Line inputs 1 and 2 also utilize the Onyx preamps, and can be used to adjust the gain of lower-gain instruments. They also allow use of instruments with line-level signals without a DI box when the Instrument switch is selected. Channels 1 and 2 feature a 75 Hz low-cut filter to clean out rumble and other low-frequency noise. Channels 1-2 can be routed from mono to equal distribution on both sides of the stereo mix via the Stereo Pan Switch.
Channels 3 and 4 consist of paired stereo line inputs which accept stereo or mono signals (balanced or unbalanced) – these versatile inputs can handle the output from almost any instrument, effect, or playback unit.
The 402VLZ4 also features tape in/out RCA jacks to allow simple recording of the mix and to allow a CD player to be patched in for between-set music. You can route the tape inputs to the main mix with the "To Main" switch located on the Channels 3-4 bus.
A useful tool
You'll find 1/4" outputs for sending signals to amplifiers, powered speakers, or recording devices. The Mackie 402VLZ4's simplicity, advanced features, and rugged construction make it suitable for a wide variety of situations and ensures that you'll be ready to control whatever the music sends your way.
- channels 1-2:
- mono mic/line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- Onyx low-noise, high-gain mic preamps
- switchable low-cut filter (100 Hz, 18 dB/octave)
- instrument switch allows guitar input without a DI box
- Stereo Pan switch: ch 1 and 2 to L-R out, or ch 1 to L and ch 2 to R
- channel 3/4
- stereo-pair line inputs (1/4" TRS)
- 2-band EQ on all channels
- high: 12,000 Hz (shelving)
- low: 80 Hz (shelving)
- switchable phantom power (+48 volts) on mic inputs
- LED output meter with peak indicator
- sealed rotary controls
- tape in/out
- headphone output
- steel chassis
- weight: 2.5 lb (3 lb with power supply)
- dimensions: 5-13/16"W x 1-5/8"H x 7-5/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 4-Channel analog mixer
- AC Power cord
- Owner's Manual
Wonderfully simple, small, effective with high quality and dependable performance. So far, I've had no problem with the 402-VLZ4. It does exactly what I hoped it would -perfect for my application. Thanks for your timely advice and courteous service, Rodger
Rodger, Cottonwood Heights, UT
Mackie 402-VLZ4 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Line inputs||4 x 1/4"|
|Channel EQ||2-band (80Hz, 12k)|
Mic/Line Preamp Section: The 4-channel 402VLZ4 analog mixer features two of Mackie's flagship Onyx mic preamps in an ultra-compact design that offers both Mic & Line inputs. This preamp design is excellent at rejecting hum and noise.
- Mic Inputs (Ch. 1-2): The mixer's channel 1-2 mic inputs consist of female XLR connectors. You can plug in almost any kind of mic that has a standard XLR mal mic connector. Professional ribbon, dynamic, and condenser mic will sound excellent through these inputs. The 402VLZ74's mic inputs will handle any kin of mic level without overloading. Most modern professional condenser mic are equipped for phantom power, which lets the mixer send low-current DC voltage to the mic's electronics through the same wires that carry audio. Phantom power for both mic channels 1-2 is turned on and off together.
- Line Inputs (Ch. 1-2): The mixer's channel 1-2 line inputs consist of female 1/4" phone connectors. These input share circuitry (but not phantom power) with the mic preamps, and can be driven by balanced or unbalance sources at almost any level. You can use these input for virtually any audio signal. To connect balance lines to these inputs, us a 1/4" TRS phone plug. to connect unbalanced lines to these inputs, use a 1/4" TS phone plus. These two line inputs are a good place to connect older instruments that need more gain.
Note: You can adjust the input sensitivity (Gain) of the Mic/Line channel 1-2 inputs. You can also adjust the channel level of each Mic/Line input to determine the level of the signal that is sent from each input channel to the mixer's main output.
Stereo Line Inputs (Ch. 3-4): The mixer's channel 3-4 line inputs consist of female 1/4" phone connectors. These fully-balance inputs are designed for stereo or mono, balanced or unbalanced signals. They can be used with just about any professional or semi-pro instrument, effect, or CD player. Signal entering channel 3 are added to the left side of the main mix only, while signals entering channel 4 are added to the right.
Main Outs: The mixer's main outputs consist of two 1/4" phone connectors These outputs feed the main mix out to line-level inputs of your power amplifier, powered speakers, or another mixer. Use a 1/4" TRS connector cable for a balanced connection and a 1/4" TS connector for a non-balanced connection. There is Main Mix level knob which control the level of signals sent to the main outputs. All channels that are not turned fully down will wind up in the main mix.
Tape Input/Tape Output: The 402VLZ4 offers both Tape inputs and Tape outputs.
- Tape In: These dual, unbalanced RCA inputs accept line-level stereo signals. The signals entering these inputs are always routed to the phones output, but can also be routed the main output. Use these jacks for convenient playback of your mixes. You'll be able to review a mix and then try another pass without repatching or disturbing the mixer levels. You can also use these jacks with an iPod, computer, or CD player. There is Tape Level knob which lets you adjust the level of the tape input playing in the main mix and headphones.
- Tape Out: These unbalanced RCA connections tap main mix output to make simultaneous recording and PA work more convenient. Connect these to your recorder's inputs. This output is an unbalanced copy of the main mix and it is affected by the main mix level.
Headphone Jack: This stereo 1/4" jack will drive any standard headphone to very loud levels. In the headphones, you will hear the main mix as well as any source playing the tape inputs. Adjusting the main mix level will not affect the headphone output; adjusting the tape level will affect the level of the tape input signal heard in the headphones. There is a Phones Level knob which allows you to adjust the level of the signal going to your headphones.
2-Band EQ: The 402VLZ4 has 2-band equalization at carefully selected points; low shelving at 80Hz and high shelving at 12kHz. "Shelving" means that the circuitry boosts or cuts all frequencies past the specified frequency.
- High EQ: This control gives you up to 15dB boost or cut above 12kHz and it is also flat at the center.
- Low EQ: This control gives you up to 15dB boost or cut below 80Hz; the circuit is flat at the center position.
Meters: The 402VLZ4's peak metering system is made up of two column of eight LEDs. It displays the signal level after the main mix level control.
Applications: The Mackie 402VLZ4 is great for live sound mixing, houses of worship, clubs, gymnasiums, banquet halls, conference rooms boardrooms, studio and field recording, multimedia applications, broadcast, and many other applications.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Small capacity and portable with minimal weight for easy adaptability. [ Gregg Dec 20, 2016 ]
Needed a tiny mixer. Hard choice between it and the small Yamaha. Really liked the extra outputs on the Yamaha & may pick it up later, but went with the extra gain controls on the Mackie. [ Christopher Oct 10, 2016 ]