TP-Link Archer C1200
AC1200 dual-band Wi-Fi® router
Our take on the TP-Link Archer C1200 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Powerful Wi-Fi with beamforming
The TP-Link Archer C1200 serves up fast, powerful Wi-Fi for a small to medium-sized home. Its dual-band network offers fast network speeds, solid range, and reduced interference from other devices. The "Archer" name is apt: the router's beamforming technology lets you aim one of three antennas at any device that needs a strong connection, as if you were firing an arrow of wireless coverage directly at your target.
Convenient app control
The free Tether app for Android™ and iOS® devices helps you set up, monitor, and control your new router. You'll have access to parental controls that let you restrict access, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the internet. And you can create a separate, password-protected Wi-Fi network for houseguests.
Plenty of connections
It's easy to forget about the advantages of making direct connections to your router. The Archer C1200 provides four LAN ports so you can directly connect devices like desktop computers or home automation control hubs. That'll take some strain off of your wireless coverage, and ensure top speed through the wired connection. There's a USB 2.0 port so you can connect to a printer or external storage device.
- 802.11ac simultaneous dual-band 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi (300 Mbps + 867 Mbps)
- three high-powered radio amplifiers with external antennas broadcast strong Wi-Fi® signal
- beamforming helps aim Wi-Fi coverage where it's needed most
- free Tether app for Android™ and iOS® devices
- create a separate, password-protected Wi-Fi network for guests
- parental controls let you restrict access, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the internet
- security: WPA/WPA2 and 64/128-bit WEP encryption
- one WAN input for connecting to the internet
- four 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports for making wired connections to your devices
- one USB 2.0 port to wirelessly access and share connected USB hard drives and printers
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 9-5/8"W x 1-5/16"H x 6-7/16"D (without antennas)
- weight: 2.31 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Dual-band WiFi router
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- 47" Ethernet cable
- Quick Installation Guide
- GNU General Public License Notice
WiFi Router: The TP-Link Archer C1200 router is designed to fully meet the need of smaller home & office networks, and users demanding higher networking performance. The powerful antennas ensure continuous WiFi signal to all your devices while boosting widespread coverage throughout your home, and the built-in Ethernet ports supply high-speed connection to your wired devices. In addition, it is simple and convenient to setup and use the TP-Link router due to its intuitive web interface and the Tether app for Apple iOS or Android.
802.11ac: TP-Link's Archer C1200 comes with the next generation WiFi standard, 802.11ac, which is 3x faster than wireless-N speeds and delivers a combined wireless data transfer rate of up to 1.2Gbps. With 867Mbps wireless speeds over the crystal clear 5GHz band and 300Mbps over the 2.4GHz band, the Archer C1200 is a great choice for seamless HD streaming, online gaming and other bandwidth-intensive tasks.
Simultaneous Dual Band: The Archer C1200 operates over both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, ensuring great wireless performance. Simultaneous Dual Band offers you the flexibility of two dedicated networks, with multiple times the bandwidth for your needs. Simple tasks like sending e-mails or web browsing can be handled by the 2.4GHz band, while bandwidth intensive tasks like online gaming or HD video streaming can be processed by the 5GHz band - all at the same time.
3 External Omni-Directional Antennas: With 3 external omni-directional antennas combined with higher quality antenna technology, you can maintain high speeds across greater distances. This provides you with incredible wireless coverage and reliability from anywhere in your home or office.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: With one gigabit WAN Ethernet port and four gigabit LAN Ethernet ports, speeds can be up to 10x faster than standard Ethernet connections. The Archer C1200 is a powerful hub to support a robust and extremely fast wired network.
TP-Link Tether App: The TP-Link Tether app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.3+) provides the easiest way to access and manage your network with your Apple iOS or Android device. From quick setup to parental controls, the TP-Link Tether app provides a simple, intuitive user interface to see the router's status, online client devices, and privileges.
- Simple Setup: Use the Tether app to set up your new TP-Link router from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. Setup the network name, password and internet settings to get online in no time.
- Control & Update via the Cloud: With a unique, exclusive TP-Link ID, you have the power to manage your Router, DSL Modem Router or Repeater anywhere, anytime from Apple iOS or Android device with data coverage (cellular or WiFi). The Tether app will also alert you of any firmware updates to ensure the best, most advanced WiFi experience in your network. So if you need to reboot, update, or reconfigure your home router while at the office or on vacation - the TP-Link will let you do it.
- Live Network Management: With the Tether app, you can see who is connecting to your network and block those who shouldn't be there at the touch of a button on your compatible mobile device.
- Manage Administrators: The Tether app also helps you designate the devices or users that can manage the TP-Link routers or range extenders and set the permission rules that comes with it. With a URL-based list, you can choose websites that are safe to visit. In addition, control and limit access to the network to certain times of the day for users in the child list.
Intuitive Web Interface w/ Quick Setup Wizard: In addition to the TP-Link Tether, app you can use TP-Link's web-based utility with its Quick Setup Wizard to setup the router. The Quick Setup Wizard will guide you step-by-step during set up of the router. The web-based utility can be used on any Windows, Mac OS or UNIX OS with a Web browser - such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari.
Multifunctional USB Port: With a single multi-functional USB (type-A) 2.0 port, you can share a printer, files and media with different devices through your local network or via the ftp server while away from home. By default, all the network clients can access all folders on your USB device. You can customize your sharing settings by setting a sharing account, sharing specific contents and setting a new sharing address on the router's web management page.
- Media Sharing: Media Sharing allows you to view photos, play music and watch movies stored on the USB device directly from DLNA-supported devices - such as your computer, tablet, TV, etc.
- Print Sharing: Printer Sharing helps you share a printer with different computers connected to the router.
- Offline Download: With Offline Download enabled, the router can download files without keeping your computer powered on all the time.
QoS (Quality of Service): QoS (Quality of Service) is designed to ensure the efficient operation of the network by making it easier for you to manage the bandwidth of connected devices. You are able to create rules to specify prioritization of traffic and minimize the impact caused when the connection is under heavy load.
Guest Network: Guest Network Access provides secure WiFi access for guests sharing your home or office network. This function allows you to provide WiFi access for guests without disclosing your main network. When you have guests in your house, apartment, or workplace, you can create a guest network for them. In addition, you can customize guest network options to ensure network security and privacy.
Parental Controls: The router's parental controls allow you to block inappropriate, explicit and malicious websites, and control access to specified websites at specified time.
Security Encryption: The TP-Link router supports WEP, WPA WPA2 security encryption (64-/128-bit) on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. You can even use WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) technology to automatically and securely add wireless devices to your network.
Network Security: You can protect your home network against DoS (Denial of Service) attacks from flooding your network with server requests using DoS Protection, block or allow specific client devices to access your network using Access Control, or you can prevent ARP spoofing and ARP attacks using IP & MAC Binding.
- SPI Firewall & DoS Protection: The SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) Firewall and DoS (Denial of Service) Protection protect the router from cyber attacks. The SPI Firewall can prevent cyber attacks and validate the traffic that is passing through the router based on the protocol. DoS Protection can protect your home network against DoS attacks from flooding your network with server requests.
- Access Control: Access Control is used to block or allow specific client devices to access your network (via wired or wireless) based on a list of blocked devices or a list of allowed devices.
- IP & Mac Binding: IP & MAC Binding, namely, ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) Binding, is used to bind network device's IP address to its MAC address. This will prevent ARP Spoofing and other ARP attacks by denying network access to an device with matching IP address in the Binding list, but unrecognized MAC address.
Note: The router's wireless network name (SSID) and password, and security option are preset in the factory. The preset SSID and password can be found on the label of the router. You can customize the wireless settings according to your needs.
Dynamic DNS Service Account: Most ISPs assign a dynamic IP address to the router and you can use this IP address to access your router remotely. However, the IP address can change from time to time and you don't know when it changes. In this case, you might apply the DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name Server) feature on the router to allow you and your friends to access your router and local servers (FTP, HTTP, etc.) using a domain name without checking and remembering the IP address.
VPN Server: The VPN (Virtual Private Networking) Server allows you to access your home network in a secured way through internet when you are away from home or the office.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.