Monitor Audio AWC280-T2
All-weather stereo-input in-ceiling speaker
Monitor Audio AWC280-T2 - The back is completely encased in tough mineral-filled polymer to prevent dirt or moisture from getting in
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio AWC280-T2 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Stereo playback from a single speaker
Here's a great problem-solving speaker for rooms where you want to hear high-quality music playback, but just have room for a single speaker. The Monitor Audio AWC280-T2 uses a dual-tweeter design to deliver the complete stereo mix without the need for an additional speaker.
It's perfect for kitchens, hallways, or any other room where you want music from a single in-ceiling location. The AWC280-T2 is also moisture-resistant, so you can use it in humid areas like your bathroom or covered porch with confidence. You'll enjoy solid bass from the 8" woofer, and smooth highs from two 1" gold dome C-CAM® tweeters.
A built-in enclosure elevates your sound
One of my favorite features of this speaker is its built-in back-box. This carefully designed enclosure helps the speaker deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust, dirt, and moisture out of your speaker.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
- stereo-input speaker plays both the left and right channels of the stereo mix
- IP55 certified for salt spray, UV stability, moisture resistance, vibration, and anti-corrosion
- the speaker back is completely encased in tough mineral-filled polymer to prevent dirt or moisture from getting in
- ideal for music in a bathroom, porch, pool, or 120-volt marine audio system
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 8" C-CAM woofer for smooth midrange and tight bass response
- two 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeters for detailed stereo sound and extended high-frequency response
- internal three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 20-100 watts
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- gold-plated push terminals with silicon covers to keep away moisture
- stainless steel corrosion-resistant grille
- cutout diameter: 9-3/4"
- overall diameter: 11-1/4"
- mounting depth: 3-7/8"
- weight: 6.2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Cutout Template
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||20-100|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Bi-Amp Inputs||Stereo input|
All Weather Design: The Monitor Audio AWC280-T2 All Weather In-Ceiling speaker is meticulously engineered with advanced levels of water, dust, corrosion, UV and temperature protection to provide outdoor audio installations with great sound and long-term reliability in the most challenging environments. Protecting the drivers are low profile trimless grilles, engineered from high-grade stainless steel and fixed using special non-corroding rare earth magnets for easy utility. The rear of the speaker is completely encased in tough mineral-filled polymer to prevent the ingress of dirt and moisture. Plus, where the speaker meets the ceiling is a layer of specially formulated EPDM barrier material to ensure a long-lasting waterproof seal. In addition, on the back of the speaker are silicon-guard-protected push terminals. It even uses fire retardant materials specified to UL-94 VO rating.
- IP55 (IEC/ CEE Water Splash) - front of speaker
- IP4X (IEC,CEE Water Splash) - rear of speaker
- ASTM-B117-11 (Anticorrosion-Salt Mist)
- ASTM-G154-12a (UV Test)
- UL V0 Fire Retardant
Stereo, C-CAM Driver Design: The Monitor Audio All Weather series AWC280-T2 in-ceiling speaker utilizes a stereo configuration with two 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeters paired with a single 8" C-CAM midrange/midbass woofer to deliver high performance stereo sound from a single in-ceiling speaker. C-CAM drivers are used throughout the AWC280-T2 in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- Dual 1" C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeters: The gold dome tweeters are formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. The new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- 8" C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
High Frequency Level Control: A HF (High Frequency) level adjustment aids in high frequency performance. With the High Frequency Level Control set to "0", the in-ceiling speaker will give you a neutral sound. Switching to the "+3db" setting will give the high frequencies a boost, giving you more clarity and presence in the treble. If you want more prominence in the bass frequencies, switch to the "-3db" setting. The HF level adjustment switch is located on the back of the speaker and must be set prior to installation.
Stereo Inputs: The Monitor Audio AWC280-T2 is outfitted with two sets of silicone-protected spring-post terminals to connect to the left and right speaker output terminals of your receiver or amplifier. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (sing/dual), and angled pin-connectors.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides 3x the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
- Cutout Size: 9.75" (diameter)
- Mounting Depth: 3.875"
- Ceiling Thickness: 0.25" to 1.25"
"Trimless" Magnetic Grille: The AWC280-T2 in-ceiling speaker features a steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true "trimless", stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Monitor Audio AWC280-T2
All-weather stereo-input in-ceiling speaker$574.99 each
Focal 300 ICW 6
In-ceiling speaker$399.99 each
Monitor Audio AWC265-T2
All-weather stereo-input in-ceiling speaker$494.99 each
Focal 300 ICLCR 5
3-way in-ceiling home theater speaker with built-in back-box