Olympus Tough Series TG-5
Waterproof/shockproof 12-megapixel digital camera with 4X optical zoom, Wi-Fi®, and GPS (Black)
Item # 279TG5K | MFR # V104190BU000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus Tough Series TG-5 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Built for adventure
A must-have for anyone who enjoys documenting their active lifestyle, the Olympus TG-5 combines toughness with creative imaging power. This rugged camera is waterproof to 50 feet, shockproof when dropped from up to 7 feet, and capable of withstanding extreme temperatures.
The camera's built-in electronic compass displays latitude and longitude, along with date and time, atmospheric and water pressure, altitude and water depth. Built-in GPS helps you find interesting scenes nearby, and lets you geotag your images so you won't forget where you were when you shot them.
Your vision in motion
The TG-5 is ready for action, with a 4K video mode that records smooth, clear action videos in stunning Ultra HD resolution. To slow down the action, you can shoot video at 120 frames per second for a stylish slow-motion replay. Interval shooting lets you set the TG-5 to snap a series of shots which can be compiled into a time-lapse video afterward.
Connect and share instantly
The TG-5's built-in Wi-Fi lets you share photos and videos instantly using the free Olympus Image Share app on your compatible Apple® or Android™ mobile device. You can also control and operate the camera remotely from your device, so it's easy to get into the picture and smile with your friends.
- waterproof down to 50 feet and shockproof up to 7 feet
- 12-megapixel effective recording with backside-illuminated CMOS sensor
- TruePic&trade VIII image processor helps create bright, detailed photos
- shoot in RAW mode for the highest possible resolution
- fast f/2.0 wide-angle zoom lens helps capture scenes in low light
- 4K Ultra HD and HD movie modes with stereo sound
- built in Wi-Fi allows you to share photos instantly from your compatible mobile device
- built-in GPS lets you tag photos with location information
- free Olympus Image Share app allows you to share photos instantly, and control your camera remotely from a smart device
- 3" (460,000-dot) LCD screen helps you frame and review shots in full color
- ISO (sensitivity) range: 100-12,800
- built-in flash with red-eye reduction
- electronic compass displays latitude and longitude, atmospheric and water pressure, altitude, water depth, and date and time
- microscope mode offers up to 44X magnification from 1cm
- Nighttime Live Composite mode automatically combines multiple images into a single photograph for stunning night scenes and star trails
- freeze a subject in motion with up to 20 frames per second in burst mode
- face detection AF keeps sharp focus on features for portraits
- shoot up to 340 shots and up to 110 minutes of video on a single battery charge
- 16 built-in scene modes, including Landscape, Sunset, and Handheld Starlight
- 14 art filters, including Pop Art, Soft Focus, and Watercolor
- includes battery, charger, USB cable, and hand strap
- records photos and videos to SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards
- 4-7/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 1-1/4"D
- weight: 8.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- Lens ring (installed)
- LI-92B Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V 1350mAh)
- F-5AC-1 AC adapter (5V 1500mA)
- 27" CB-USB12 USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB connector on the other end)
- Adjustable wrist strap (black)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty card
- Maintaining Water Resistance booklet
- Authorized Distributors List
Great underwater pictures! Low light shots are not that great but I'm happy with it overall.
Chris, Melbourne, FL
Olympus Tough Series TG-5 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-100mm|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Rugged Design: The Olympus Tough TG-5 is a rugged camera, designed for adventurous photographers. The camera's durable construction is built to the following standards:
- Shockproof: designed to withstand a 7-foot fall, drop or other mishap (MIL-STD-810F standard)
- Waterproof: innovative waterproof seals and gaskets allow you to take underwater movies and pictures in the pool, lake, or ocean, up to 50-foot (15 meter) depths for one hour (IEC Standard Publication 529 IPX8)
- Dustproof: dustproof to an IEC standard 529 IP6X
- Crushproof: can withstand up to 220 foot-pounds of pressure
- Freezeproof: camera can withstand temperature extremes down to 14° F (MIL-STD-810F standard)
Double Lock Mechanisms: The battery compartment and connector cover doors both have double lock mechanisms to prevent accidental exposure to moisture and dust. Rubberized seals on the doors help make the compartments watertight to protect the battery, memory card, and connector contacts.
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS image sensor. The sensor has approximately 12.71 million pixels and 12 million effective pixels. Images are processed by the TruePic VIII image processor.
Optics: The TG-5 is equipped with a bright F2.0-4.9 lens to let you capture shots in low light or situations when a flash cannot be used. The 4x optical zoom lens has a focal length of 4.5-18.0mm (equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm photography).
Optional Lens Converters: The ring around the lens is removable, allowing you to add optional converter lenses. You can extend the zoom to nearly 7x with the optional TCON-17x package, or get wide-angle shots with the optional FCON-T01 fisheye converter lens package. Also, the LG-1 LED Light Guide can be added to illuminate objects for extreme closeups.
Note: The needed CLA-T01 converter adapter is included with the TCON-17x and FCON-T01 Tough Lens packages.
3.0" Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor with approximately 460,000 dots. The monitor features several protective coatings to reduce glare and to prevent scratches. Like the lens, a special water-repellent coating prevents water from remaining on the monitor. The TG-5 offers a 15-level monitor brightness adjustment (-7 to +7) in the menu.
Wi-Fi: The TG-5 has Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) for remote camera operation and easy file sharing. It has its own built-in Wireless LAN, so you don't have to connect to a network. Using the free Olympus Image Share (OI.Share) app on your smartphone, you can easily share still images and movies to iOS and Android mobile devices. GPS location information can be used to geotag photos. From a compatible mobile device, you can remotely take pictures and choose the settings for the self-timer, white balance, exposure (ISO, shutter speed, aperture), shooting and drive modes, and AF area.
Note: Olympus Image Share is available for Android mobile devices (Android 4.4 - 7.1) from Google Play, and for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 9.0 - 10.3 from the Apple App Store.
GPS: The TG-5 has a built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver, which can record location information onto your photos and movies. Using applications such as Olympus Viewer 3 or OI. Track, you can view the location of your photos on a map. The logging function lets you track the route taken on your adventure.
e.Compass: You can use the TG-5 as an electronic compass to calculate your location and direction. Holding the Info button while the shooting screen is displayed brings up an electronic compass, along with your Latitude and Longitude coordinates, atmospheric pressure, altitude or water depth, and current date and time.
Recording Media: The Olympus Tough TG-5 digital camera records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards. Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MOV (H.264) with sound. When recording movies, you should use an SD card with a Speed Class of 10 or higher. If recording 4K movies, a UHS-I card with a UHS speed class of 3 or better is recommended.
EyeFi: The TG-5 is compatible with commercially available EyeFi cards. These cards have a Wireless LAN function to enable you to connect the camera to a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone or PC to view or import images from the card.
Image Stabilization: The camera utilizes Sensor-shift Image Stabilization, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 3.9" to infinity (W-T). In the Microscope mode, you can record images from 0.39" to 3.9" away.
White Balance: The Tough TG-5 offers the following White Balance presets: WB Auto, Sunny, Shadow, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Underwater, and Flash. You can also set and store four custom white balance settings (One Touch 1, 2, 3, and 4) based on an actual scene, and choose from color temperatures of from 2000 to 14000K.
AF Illuminator: The camera has an AF illuminator that can assist in Auto Focusing, or illuminate the scene in closeup situations. It can be turned on or off manually in the menu, or set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Fill-in: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Red-eye: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Red-eye Slow: Combines slow sync with red-eye reduction.
- Slow Sync: Slow shutter speeds are used to brighten dimly-lit backgrounds. A tripod is recommended as the shutter speed becomes slower.
- LED On: Turns on the LED illuminator for close up images.
- Remote Control: Allows you to take pictures with a wireless flash by remote control. The camera's built-in flash communicates between the camera and the remote flash.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake. You can also customize the self-timer by setting the delay (1-30 seconds), number of pictures (1-10), and the interval between multiple pictures (1, 2, or 3).
Interval Shooting: You can sequence of photographs at a set interval in the Scene Mode to illustrate the passage of time. You can set the number of frames (1-299), the start waiting time (0:00:00 to 24:00:00), and the interval time between shots (0:00:01 to 24:00:00). The camera will save the shots individually, or you can opt to also generate a time lapse movie from the sequence of frames. If a movie is selected, you can choose the movie resolution and frame rate.
Live Composite: While mounted on a tripod, the camera automatically shoots multiple images, takes newly bright areas only, and composites them into a single image. With normal long exposures, an image of light trace, such as star trails with bright buildings, tends to get too bright. Live Composite lets you capture them without over exposing them.
Power Requirements: The Tough TG-5 operates on the supplied LI-92B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.6V, 1350mAh). An AC adapter (F-5AC-1) is supplied to charge the LI-92B in the camera or operate the camera on AC power. The camera can take up to approximately 340 photos or 110 minutes of continuous video with a fully charged battery. Charging time is approximately 3 hours. The camera can also charge while it is connected to a computer via USB.
Still Image Shooting: The Tough TG-5 records JPEG still images in a 4:3 aspect ratio in one of three sizes: Large (4000 x 3000), Medium (3200 x 2400), and Small (1280 x 960). Four image quality (compression) settings can be selected for still images: Super Fine, Fine, Normal, and Basic. After recording, you can change the aspect ratio to 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, or 3:4 as needed. You can also record images in RAW format using unprocessed image data, in 4:3 at 4000 x 3000 resolution. The aspect border for recorded RAW images can be set to other aspect ratios, if desired. The JPEG+RAW setting records both a JPEG and RAW image simultaneously.
Movie Recording: The TG-5 can record movies in three frame sizes 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), Full HD (1920 x 1080), and HD (1280 x 720). For FHD and HD, you can choose from three Bit Rates (compression ratios): Super Fine, Fine, and Normal. The frame rate can be set to 60p (FHD only) or 30p (or 50p/25p for PAL system). High Speed recording is available (for smooth slow motion playback) for FHD (1920 x 1080 / 120 fps), HD (1280 x 720 / 240 fps), and SD (640 x 360 / 480 fps).
Shooting Modes: The rear-mounted Mode Dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- A Mode (Aperture Mode): When an aperture value is set, the camera automatically sets an appropriate shutter speed.
- Custom: In Custom modes 1 or 2, you can store shooting settings for later use.
- Microscope: Images can be taken from up to 1 centimeter (0.39") away. Sub modes include: Focus Stacking, Focus Bracket, and Microscope Control.
- Underwater: You can shoot underwater by selecting one of the sub-mode settings: Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide, Underwater Macro, or Underwater HDR.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed
- People: Portrait, e-Portrait, Portrait+Landscape, Portrait+Nightscape, Children
- Nightscapes: Nightscape, Portrait+Landscape, Handheld Starlight, Fireworks, Live Composite
- Motion: Sport, Children
- Scenery: Landscape, Sunset, Beach & Snow, Panorama, Backlight HDR
- Indoors: Candlelight, Portrait, e-Portrait, Chidren, Backlight HDR
Picture Modes: You can apply various picture modes to produce unusual images. Picture Modes include: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monochrome, Custom, e-Portrait, Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, and Partial Color.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. You can choose from the following:
- Sequential High: You can choose a frame advance rate of 10 fps or 20 fps. Maximum number of frames is 14 for RAW images, or until card is full for JPEG.
- Sequential Low: Photos are taken at about 5 frames per second. Maximum number of frames is 49 for RAW images, or until the card is full for JPEG.
- Pro Capture: Sequential shooting begins when you press the shutter button halfway. Once you press the button all the way down, recording to the card begins, including those captured during the halfway press (up to 4). Frame rate is approximately 10 fps.
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The Tough TG-5 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, and 12800 equivalents.
Focusing Modes: There are two Focusing Modes: Automatic (AF) and Manual (MF). In AF mode, the camera focuses automatically when the shutter button is pressed halfway. The camera focuses continuously during movie recording. When MF is selected, you can manually focus on a subject anywhere in the frame by using the Up/Down arrow buttons or the control dial.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Close-Up Playback: In manual playback, you can zoom in 2x, 3x, 5x, 7x, 10x, or 14x to get a close-up view of the image. When zoomed in, you can use the arrow buttons to scroll around the image.
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. The interval between photos can be set to between 2 and 10 seconds. Background music can be turned on, if desired.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 25 frames (5x5).
- Calendar View: In Calendar View, you can select a date on the displayed calendar to view the images and movies recorded on that day.
Outputs: The Tough TG-5 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 4K, 1080p, 720p, or 480p/576p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also includes a Micro-B USB port for use with the supplied USB cable for connecting the camera to your computer for downloading photos and movies. The USB port is also used for charging the battery using the supplied AC adapter.
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 1280 x 960, 640 x 480, or 320 x 240.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Aspect Ratio: Change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2, 16:9, 1:1, or 3:4. After changing the aspect ratio, you can use the arrow buttons to move the trimming frame.
- Adding Sound: You can add up to 30 seconds of audio to an existing image using the built-in microphone.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Black & White / Sepia: Changes the color to B&W or Sepia toned images.
- e-Portrait: The camera can make corrections to the subject's skin tones.
- Image Overlay: You can create a new image by overlaying 2 or 3 RAW photographs.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Downloadable Software: The Tough TG-5 does not come with camera software in the box. It is recommended that you download OLYMPUS Viewer 3 software for importing images and videos taken by the TG-5, and to view, edit, and manage them easily. You can organize your photos and movies into folders, albums, people, and timelines. You can also edit and process your images, and print them from your computer. The OLYMPUS Viewer 3 software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 10
- Mac OS X v10.8-v10.11, macOS v10.12
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers running the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 10
- Mac OS X v10.8 - v10.11, macOS v10.12
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Because it was the best rated underwater snorkeling camera for the casual type of photography I plan on using it for. [ ALBERT G Nov 29, 2017 ]
!. Waterproof 2. Virtually all the new, top end, point & shoot cameras have decreased the zoom to about 4x. 3. Other waterproof cameras look like toys and are not as feature rich. 5. There is a telezoom adaptor if I need more zoom. 6. The Aperture of the lens is f2.0 to 4.9 which allows more light versus the competition 7. If I fall in the river again with camera while fly fishing, I won't kill the camera. 8. Price is in the reasonable range for the product [ Gregg Jul 26, 2017 ]
GPS. [ Peter Jul 23, 2017 ]
Reputation of brand. [ Jeff Nov 20, 2017 ]
The ability to track photos via GPS tags, ability to shoot 4k video, and f2 lens for low light shooting [ EDWARD Y Jul 25, 2017 ]
Hawaii vacation, lots of water activities. [ William Jul 16, 2017 ]
Good reviews. I like Olympus, and needed something waterproof. [ JOHN Jul 03, 2017 ]
FOR THE WATERPROOF FEATURE. [ David Jul 02, 2017 ]