Wireless powered speaker with Chromecast built-in and Bluetooth® (Blue)
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the JBL Playlist by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Enjoy high-quality sound — from your phone or the cloud
The JBL Playlist wireless powered speaker features Chromecast built-in. That means you can stream music over your Wi-Fi® network from your smartphone or tablet's favorite apps. Chromecast also plays music directly from the cloud, including great-sounding high-resolution audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz. The Playlist also has built-in Bluetooth®, so you can wirelessly play music from a wide range of other devices as well.
Easy control with the Google Home app
Control your Playlist speaker directly from your smartphone or tablet through the Google Home app (available from the Apple App Store and Google Play). Google Home lets you control compatible services in-app, such as Spotify, Pandora, Google Play™ Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio. And you can control multiple Playlist speakers with the app for a user-friendly wireless multi-room audio system.
The Google Home app has some flexible perks. Use it to control compatible smart home devices like Wi-Fi thermostats and power outlets. You can browse trending and popular content from your Chromecast-enabled apps, search for content across platforms and more.
If you want to go hands-free and app-free, add a Google Home voice controller. That way, you can control your Playlist speaker by simply saying, "OK Google, play my party songs in the living room."
Have a subscription to Spotify? You'll get even more out it with a JBL Playlist. You can connect to your Playlist directly in the Spotify app and control its volume. Once it's connected, you can use the Playlist's One Touch Play feature. Just press the play button, and the Playlist will resume your Spotify playlist where you left off — no app control required.
Full, rich sound
The Playlist features two 2-1/4” full-range speakers that give you clear, detailed sound. A rear-firing oval passive radiator reinforces the low tones for richer bass.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Playlist is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- wireless connectivity:
- built-in Bluetooth for streaming music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for easy and stable connection to your network and the internet
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with other JBL Playlist wireless speakers
- two 2-1/4" full-range speakers with a rear-firing 3-3/4" x 1-3/4" oval passive radiator
- 24bit/96kHz cloud streaming via Chromecast
- maximum power: 30 watts (2 x 15 watts)
- frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
- easy setup and control via the Google Home App
- free download from Apple®App Store and Google Play
- control multi-room playback with two or more Playlist wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio
- control other Chromecast-compatible devices, such as smart home thermostats and switches
- works with the Google Home voice controller (available separately)
- One Touch Button resumes play of Spotify Premium playlist independent of app (subscription required)
- stereo minijack auxiliary input for portable devices
- AC power (power adapter included)
- 12-7/16"W x 5-15/16"H x 4-5/8"D
- weight: 2.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- 58" AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
Crutchfield is Great!!!!!!!
Joel, Lajas, PR
JBL Playlist Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Full-Range Sound: The JBL Playlist houses two front-firing 2.25" full-range drivers powered by a built-in 15 watt x 2-channel amplifier for full-range sound. A rear-firing oval (3.75" x 1.75") passive radiator delivers deeper, low-end bass response. The speaker system has a frequency response of 60Hz to 20,000Hz (-6dB) and >80DB signal-to-noise ratio.
24-Bit/96kHz Audio: The JBL Playlist wireless speaker supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio.
Dual-Band WiFi: The JBL Playlist features dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac), resulting in a faster, robust, and more stable wireless connection.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you instantly stream select music apps from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the JBL Playlist speaker system. Chromecast Built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. You can even mirror exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet to the JBL Playlist speaker. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Google Home App: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The JBL Playlist & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly see, select, and stream audio to the JBL Playlist wireless speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). A "One-Touch Play" feature allows you to continue listening to whatever you played on your Spotify Premium account on your smartphone or tablet device, now on the JBL Playlist speaker.
Built-In Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth 4.2 lets you wirelessly stream stored music libraries and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled source device (like a smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc) to the JBL Playlist speaker system.
- Control: You can control basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track, from the Playlist speaker. You'll still control advanced music browsing and view song/artist/album info from your Bluetooth source device.
- Pairing: Only one device can be paired & connected with the Playlist speaker at a time. Once an already paired device comes within range (up to 33') of the Playlist speaker, the two units will automatically reconnect.
Note: Bluetooth hands-free phone communication is not supported.
Aux Input: In addition to wireless connectivity, an Aux (3.5mm) input provides a wired connection to practically any analog audio device with a headphone jack or analog audio output.
Power Requirements: The included detachable 58" AC power cord will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: The JBL Playlist is not battery powered.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
The reviews I read on this product and it has google cast. I know that Crutchfield carries quality products. [ Troy Aug 26, 2018 ]
JBL manufactures quality speakers. I have purchased them throughout the years. [ Agustin Jun 15, 2018 ]
Chromecast and good reviews [ Charles Mar 25, 2018 ]
It's wired powered, but supports Google Cast and WiFi out of the box, for a good price. [ Zachary Jul 15, 2017 ]
I was looking for some speakers with chromecast built in that I could put in different parts of the house and control from google home or just cast from my phone music app. Different people in the house have different music tastes sometimes, the same at other times. So these allow the flexibility to play different music at the same time or the same if everybody is on the same vibe. These had good reviews. [ Eric Nov 16, 2017 ]
3 questions already asked
Yes, connectivity is very spotty. I am considering returning mine. Sometimes it will connect only over Bluetooth, sometimes not at all. The remedy seems to be to continue to pull the plug from the wall (a soft power off is not enough) and trying again and again. [ Grigori Feb 24, 2018 ]
I returned mine for this issue and would not recommend it because of that. Now happy with Sonos! [ Lee Feb 24, 2018 ]
Hi Mary, The JBL Playlist can be used outdoors in dry locations as a temporary music speaker but are not designed as a permanent outdoor solution. They are not water resistant in any way and caution must used as it does plug into a standard 120v outlet to operate. I hope this helps answer your question. Warmest regards, Jose [ Jose Feb 11, 2018 ]
I do not think so. [ Tom Feb 10, 2018 ]
I have Google Home, and through Google Home I can set up the speakers to play in any combination. I have four speakers and I have them set up to play all four at once, or just one, two or three speakers at once. You just have to tell Google Home what speakers you want to play and in what rooms. It's a one-time setup in the Google Home app. You can do this because Google Chromecast is built into the speakers. Hope this helps. Bob [ ROBERT Jan 10, 2018 ]
Hi Kevin, if you have these set up for Chrome Cast, then yes, you can select as many of your Chrome Cast speakers as you want and play music on them simultaneously. As far as the actual sound of this speaker, I actually ended up returning it for a Bose Soundlink Revolve, which although it is much smaller had much better sound clarity and deeper bass than this speaker. Chrome Cast seemed like a good system, but I'd recommend using other Chrome Cast enabled speakers to do what you're talking about (the Bose that I have is bluetooth, not Chrome Cast). [ Christopher Jan 05, 2018 ]
Yes. That is virtually automatic with these speakers! [ Tom Jan 05, 2018 ]
Hi Kevin, Yes you can. It is managed through the Google Home app. Through the app you can group JBL Playlists together then cast to that group. Hope this helps and points you in the right direction! [ Jose Jan 05, 2018 ]
Kevin, the answer is yes. You initially have to set up each speaker individually with the Google Home App. But then you can create groups. It is super easy. Interesting note, you can control the volume with the device that you are using to play the music, but it raises and lowers all speakers the same. If you want one speaker to be louder/quieter than the others, you have to physically go up to the speaker and press the +/- buttons. I've only used the WiFi connection for the group. Not sure if you can create Bluetooth groups. Hope this helps, Joey [ Joey Jan 04, 2018 ]
Absolutely! We have 5 speakers set up in our salon, playing music everywhere. We mostly use Google Play, but Pandora and You Tube music work perfectly as well. Great speakers, great sound quality through our 5 rooms. And, no, I wad nit paid for this endorsement. Just very happy with the speakers [ Richard Jan 04, 2018 ]