Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X
Short telephoto macro prime lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras
Item # 280MPE65MM | MFR # 2540A002
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Revel in the details
If you're a serious macro photographer, this 65mm lens from Canon will be an indispensable addition to your toolkit. Designed exclusively for macro work, this unique lens lets you capture small objects at life size (1:1) or up to 5X life size (5:1). At maximum magnification, something as small as a match head will fill a 35mm frame. Being able to see such tiny objects in detail makes you feel like you've stepped into another world. See the magical crystalline structure of a single snowflake, study the segmented eyes of a fly, or tour the inside of a flower. You'll see your surroundings in a whole new light.
A floating optical system ensures sharp close-range focus at all distances, while a manual focus ring lets you dial in the focus precisely where you want it. The included detachable tripod collar provides extra stability for tripod-mounted shooting. And there's also a convenient ring for mounting compatible macro flashes directly to the lens so you don't have to fuss with awkward adapters.
- MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X macro photo lens
- manual focus only
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 104mm
- compatible with Canon digital and film SLR cameras
- magnification ratio: 1:1-5:1
- minimum focusing distance: 9.6"
- constructed of 10 elements in 8 groups
- 1 UD (Ultra-low-dispersion) lens element for high resolution and contrast
- 3-group floating optical system preserves optical quality at different focusing distances
- filter diameter: 58mm
- compatible with Canon Macro Ring Lites and Macro Twin Lite
- includes detachable tripod collar
- lens is 3-1/4" in diameter, 3-7/8" long
- weight: 25.75 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro lens
- Tripod Mount Ring B (installed)
- Lens Cap E-58 II (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Instructions (CD-ROM)
- EF Lens Quick Guide
- EF Lens Quick Guide (for TS-E/Super Telephoto Lenses)
- Warranty Card
- Canon Worldwide Locations card
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon Macro Photo MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x lens is a high-magnification macro lens that can magnify the subject up to 5x. It has the Canon EF mount, and includes a revolving tripod ring, and front/rear lens caps.
Macro Photography: The lens is designed exclusively for macro shooting, with a magnification range of 1x (life-size) to 5x (5 times life-size). At full magnification, the lens can fill a 35mm frame with a grain of rice. The lens has a very narrow depth of field. The focusing range is 9-3/8" to 12-1/4"
Macro Ring Lites: The MP-E 65mm Macro lens is compatible with Canon's MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite, and the MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite flash units. These optional flash units are specifically designed for illuminating extremely close subjects, and fit directly into a groove on the end of the lens.
Tripod Mount: The included tripod mount (Tripod Mount Ring B) allows you to quickly switch the camera between landscape and portrait positions while it is mounted on a tripod.
Focusing Ring: The MP-E 65mm lens focuses by turning the focusing ring on the lens. Auto Focusing is not possible. Focusing with the lens is a 3-step procedure. First, you set the magnification between 1x and 5x, by turning the focusing ring. Second, you focus on the subject roughly by moving the camera forward or backward to bring the subject into focus. Finally, you can finely focus on the subject by turning the focus ring.
Optional Accessories: The MP-E65mm Macro lens is compatible with the following Canon accessories:
- Lens Hood: A specially designed lens hood is available (and sold separately) for this lens. The MP-E65 Hood prevents stray light from entering the lens and causing glare, and protects the lens from accidental bumps and scratches.
- Optional Filters: The MP-E65mm lens has a 58mm mounting thread for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Case: The Lens Case LP1216 is a cloth and leather protective pouch with a drawstring closure. It is designed especially for this lens.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 65mm f/2.8
- Lens Construction: 10 elements in 8 groups
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Magnification: 1x-5x
- Field of View: 0.9" x 1.4" to 0.2" x 0.3" / 24 x 36mm to 4.8 x 7.2mm
- Angle of View (at 1x):
- Diagonal: 18°40'
- Vertical: 10°35'
- Horizontal: 15°40'
- At 1x: 0.396mm (f/2.8) to 2.24mm (f/16)
- At 5x: 0.048mm (f/2.8) to 0.269mm (f/16)
- Focusing Range: 9.36" to 12.24" (0.238 to 0.313 meters)
- Diameter: 3.186"
- Length: 4.084" to 9.226" (4.83" to 9.97" with caps)
- Weight: 25.0 ounces (lens only)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.