65" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2017 model)
| Watch a product review |
Crutchfield: Sony OLED 4K Ultra HD TVs
Item # 158X65A1E | MFR # XBR65A1E
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony XBR-65A1E by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Sony's first 4K OLED TV!
Nearly a decade ago, Sony introduced the world's first OLED TV. It's 11-inch screen now seems toy-like compared to the stunning 65" XBR-65A1E — Sony's first-ever large-screen 4K OLED TV. Combining striking design with immersive picture and sound, the '65A1E is sure to be one of 2017's best and most talked about TVs.
4K and HDR complete the picture
4K provides four times the picture detail of 1080p HD, while HDR (High Dynamic Range) gives a major boost to contrast and color. It may surprise you, but current video standards are based on old-school tube TVs with low brightness capabilities. The latest HDR-equipped TVs, like the XBR-65A1E, can display greater contrast and a wider color spectrum. The combination makes pictures pop like you've never seen before.
Sony's video processing makes everything look its best
What elevates the XBR-65A1E above competing TVs is Sony's unmatched video processing. Their X1™ Extreme engine packs 40% more processing muscle than last year's model. It tackles two tasks: reducing the compression noise common in streamed video and lower-resolution sources, and upscaling every source to near 4K/HDR quality. Picture quality with 4K streamed content and Ultra HD Blu-ray is spectacular, but you don't need a 4K source to be wowed by this TV.
Wait, what? The entire screen is a speaker?
Instead of using typical tiny speakers, the XBR-65A1E uses the entire screen to generate sound. Sony's Acoustic Surface™ technology uses four actuators on the back to send vibrations through the screen to produce sound. Sounds are localized to what's happening on screen, creating an even more immersive experience.
Not just smart TV, Android TV — easy access to endless entertainment
The built-in Android™ operating system lets the XBR-65A1E operate a lot like a smartphone. You can use Chromecast Built-in™ to cast movies and TV shows, music, and photos and videos from your iOS® or Android-based phone, or from a laptop. The remote's voice control feature lets you access movies, shows, and apps, simply by talking.
Unsure if your network can handle demanding tasks like 4K streaming? Check out our wireless router buying guide. If you haven't upgraded your hardware in the last few years, a new router will offer big improvements in range and speed.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR 10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed from the TV's built-in apps
- support for Dolby Vision™ HDR was recently added via firmware update, but so far it only works when using the TV's built-in streaming apps; Dolby Vision via HDMI-connected sources is not yet supported
- self-illuminating OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display panel produces infinite picture contrast and absolute black
- 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme engine and 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscaler ensure the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
- HDR Remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
- MotionFlow™ XR blur/judder reduction
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0a
- 3.5mm minijack A/V input (requires adapter)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- Acoustic Surface technology makes the entire screen a speaker (50 watts total power)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- "kickstand" folds against the panel for wall-mounting (stand "footprint" is 18-1/2"W x 13-3/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 57-1/4"W x 32-7/8"H x 3-1/2"D (32-7/8"H x 13-3/8"D on stand)
- weight: 79.8 lbs. with stand; 65.7 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 65" OLED TV (integrated easel stand)
- Easel stand base
- Easel stand bracket
- Kickstand back cover
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RMF-TX201U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Dual IR blaster
- Snap-on cover
- 2 Easel stand securement brackets
- AC power cord connector bracket
- Four M4 x 12mm screws (lock & flat washers)
- Reference Guide (En/Fr)
- Setup Guide
- Stand Assembly diagram
- "How To Perform Software Update" instructions
- "Child Safety" note
- Safety & Regulatory Booklet
- End User License Agreement
- "Attention" note
- Warranty Information
- PlayStation Vue brochure
- "Setup for retail" notice
Crutchfield your AWESOME! Thanks to Conrad for his excellent customer service, we decided to go with Crutchfield to purchase the Awesome Sony A1E. We love it. It was everything we hoped for in a TV and a Masterpiece.
Zoe, Staten Island, NY
Sony XBR-65A1E Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Network & USB Functions
OLED Technology: This TV screen has millions of self-illuminating OLED pixels that can be individually activated to reproduce truly lifelike pictures. With over 8 million self-illuminating, individually controlled OLED pixels, you'll see real black, incredible contrast, and lifelike color. These OLED pixels work individually and can be turned off completely to deliver absolute black. Each pixel can go from off to bright in a fraction of a second. Because each pixel lights up independently, you'll see more accurate detail, color, and shades in every scene. This level of supreme contrast reveals detail, depth, textures, and colors for a view that's stunningly real. See video images that are bright and clear from any angle. Even in fast-moving scenes there's no blur; you'll see everything in perfect clarity.
4K HDR: For the ultimate in picture quality, this TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, color and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture TVs have ever been able to create, with brilliant highlights and fine detail. Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
- Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. Advanced picture processing also ensures that every single pixel displays images with superb brightness and authentic detail. It's the highest resolution picture Sony has ever produced on a TV.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range)
reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels,
bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This
increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed
blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity
and detail. The Sony TV supports three HDR formats - including HDR10 which
is the most widely used format and is installed from the factory, HLG
(Hybrid-Log Gamma) which is designed for over-the-air broadcast and requires
a firmware update that is currently available, and Dolby Vision which is a
dynamic HDR format that requires a firmware update that is currently
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses not metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended.
Note: Dolby Vision compatibility is currently only available through the TV's network streaming apps (such as Netflix, Amazon, etc.). An additional firmware update (no ETA) is required for Dolby Vision compatibility through the TV's HDMI inputs.
4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler: Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and astounding color. This 4K television upscales your favorite TV shows, DVD and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD quality. This unique 4K X-Reality PRO picture processing technology upscales every pixel for remarkable clarity. Advanced noise reduction techniques and a special pattern database ensure every scene is full of lifelike detail. One database is used to clean the picture, reducing on-screen noise; the other is used to upscale the resolution, improving clarity; while another database improves color, brightness, and contrast. These three powerful image improvement databases work together, dynamically improving pixels in real time. Each database has tens of thousands of references, amassed from Sony's experience creating content for TV and movies over the years.
- Upscaling Database: Unique to Sony, 4K X-Reality PRO picture processing upscales every pixel for remarkable clarity. Pixels across multiple frames are analyzed and images sharpened and refined in real time. You will immediately see the detail appear in faces and skin tones.
- Pattern Database: With 4K X-Reality PRO, patterns in images are compared with patterns stored in a unique database to find the best hue, saturation, and brightness for each pixel. Sony uses the knowledge gained from developing and filming blockbuster movies and TV shows to deliver supremely lifelike detail in everything you watch.
- Noise Reduction Database: Compressed noise is identified by the database, which includes "before and after" data on what a picture should look like and removes the compressed picture noise. A variety of noise reduction techniques are then used by 4K X-Reality PRO to sharpen and refine images. You'll immediately see how scenes become clearer, smoother, and more natural.
4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme: The 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme with Precision Color Mapping, Object-based HDR remaster, and Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR technology gives pure colors at higher brightness levels for truly natural pictures. Made to enhance the latest generation of 4K HDR pictures, the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme brings reality to every scene. With 40% more real-time image processing than our renowned 4K Processor X1, it delivers unprecedented picture quality for everything you watch, upscaling content from any source nearer to 4K.
- Precision Color Mapping: Precision Color Mapping independently analyses every scene and pixel so the perfect shade and tone are applied dynamically for rich, natural colors. It enhances and optimizes colors individually and finely in real time. It controls every color perfectly for rich and natural results.
- Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR: Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR creates a smoother, more natural picture by minimizing its color banding. With 14-bit powerful signal processing, it breaks up the solid bands of color of an 8-bit or 10-bit source, up-converting to 14-bit equivalent gradation, with 64x more color levels. It delivers graceful reproduction of faces, sunsets, and other areas of subtle color.
- Object-Based HDR Remaster: By analyzing the objects in each scene individually, Object-based HDR remaster optimizes and enhances color and contrast. It brings everything you watch closer to the quality of HDR. Dark elements get darker, bright elements brighter, and everything in between is more accurately lit, for realism in every scene never-before-possible on our TVs. You'll see contours on mountains, hidden textures on flowers, depth in clouds, and wildlife has the contrast and color of nature, for a more natural and realistic picture on screen.
TRILUMINOS Display: Unique to Sony, a TRILUMINOS Display with its specially developed backlight selectively maps colors across a wider gamut, ensuring subtle colors do not become oversaturated and unnatural. You'll enjoy vivid, authentic images that evoke the emotion in every scene. The more pencils you have to draw an image, the more vibrant and lifelike it becomes. TRILUMINOS Display works in the same way, using a wider color spectrum than a conventional display. A TRILUMINOS Display excels at reproducing reds, greens, and blues; colors that are notoriously difficult for TVs to display accurately. It also displays skin tones beautifully, thanks to its extensive color palette and precise gradation.
Motionflow XR: Sony's Motionflow XR refresh rate technology enhances the OLED TV's unique panel speed to allow fast moving action sequences in sports and movies to be seen with lifelike clarity. Enjoy smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences with Motionflow XR. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones. It compares key visual factors on successive frames, then calculates the split second of missing action in the sequences.
Video Inputs: The Sony OLED TV is equipped with HDMI 2.0a & 3.5mm AV video inputs.
- HDMI 2.0a: The OLED TV is fitted with four HDMI
2.0a inputs to connect your Ultra-HD/HDR and HD sources; such as Ultra
Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Satellite/Cable and Playstation. In addition, any HDMI
input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept
4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. HDMI inputs 2 & 3 will do 4K
(60Hz), while HDMI inputs 1 & 4 will only support 4K (30/24Hz)
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- 3.5mm AV: There is a 3.5mm AV input which will support 480i video signals only and 2ch stereo audio. There is no composite video or component video inputs.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Adjustments: The TV offers a variety of screen, picture, and video adjustments to maximize image quality.
- Screen Modes: The Screen Modes feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Choose from Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, or Auto Wide. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
- Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Cinema (Pro/Home), Sports, Animation, and Custom.
- Advanced Video Settings: The Advanced Video Settings
menu offers further adjustment of the TV's video image.
- Brightness: You can increase or decrease the brightness of an image by adjusting the TV's Brightness, Contrast, Gamma (adjusts light/dark balance), Black Level, and Black Adjust (enhances black areas).
- Color: You can tailor the color of an image by adjusting the TV's Color, Hue, Color Temperature (white balance), Color Space (sets color reproduction range), or Live Color (produces vivid colors).
- Clarity: You can improve the clarity of an image by adjusting the TV's Sharpness, Reality Creation (increases clarity), Resolution (increases detail), and Noise reduction (removes noise).
- Motion: Activate Sony's Motionflow technology to reduce motion blur and judder. CineMotion provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content, like Blu-ray & DVD.
Light Sensor & Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes.
Live Color Technology: Powered by an image processor using an algorithm specially developed by Sony, Live Color is able to reproduce incredibly vivid colors on screen. With four user-adjustable settings available (High/Medium/Low/Off), you can choose just how vivid you want your images to be. Whether it's a brilliant blue sky or a bright red rose, everything stands out so much more with Live Color.
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer: The Dynamic Contrast Enhancer optimizes the range of brightness frame-by-frame according to what's happening on screen to reproduce deeper blacks, brighter whites, and more video color.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will support PIP (Picture-in-Picture). This feature lets you watch the TV's over-the-air tuner in a small window on-screen, while viewing an Android TV app (like Netflix or Amazon).
Acoustic Surface Technology: Taking advantage of the OLED's backlight-less structure, Sony developed new Acoustic Surface sound technology. The Acoustic Surface technology lends to the cutting-edge design of Sony's OLED TV by doing away with conventional speakers usually located around the TV. Unlike most TV speakers that fire downward, sound comes to you from the entire screen, immersing you in exciting new entertainment experiences. Two actuators behind the TV vibrate the screen to create sound that's truly engaging. Thanks to this ingenious design, the entire screen resonates with rich sound emanating directly from the screen itself. This allows a perfect unification of picture and sound unattainable by conventional TVs. It produces a wide sound and image synchronization from all angles, even off to the sides. Together with OLED's exceptionally wide viewing angle, the TV offers unmatched visual and aural experience regardless of viewing position.
Note: There is also a small woofer located in the OLED TV's rear-mounted media box/easel stand which fires toward the rear. Indicate "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall-Mount" in the TV's menu to tune the woofer for your application.
S-Force Front Surround: S-Force Front Surround mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum; using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ fine-tunes TV sound for an immersive experience that seems to surround you. Hear music, dialog, and surround effects with greater clarity and separation, whatever you're watching.
Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): Low-resolution Internet video and other heavily compressed audio files don't always sound so great. A large amount of information gets thrown away when digital audio is compressed. With Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) technology, lost frequency components (especially high frequencies) are restored for natural sound with a more spacious feel.
Clear Phase: Sony uses a powerful computer model to analyze and compensate for inaccuracies in speaker response. It does this by "sampling" the speaker frequency with higher precision. This information is fed back to cancel out any peaks or dips in the speaker's natural response; resulting in pure, natural audio with smooth, even reproduction of all frequencies.
EQ: The TV offers four EQ preset sound modes - Standard, Cinema, Music, and Live Football. The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Voice Zoom & Night Mode: The Voice Zoom feature makes voices clearer by lowering background sound. Night mode provides a clear sound at a low volume levels.
Volume Offset & Auto Volume: Volume Offset adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs. The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 3 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, USB ports, and Android TV apps can pass as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2ch PCM.
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an AV receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 3 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers analog and digital audio outputs, as well as Bluetooth headphone pairing (firmware update required).
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Bluetooth Headphone Pairing (Requires Firmware Update): Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will be able to support Bluetooth headphone pairing - allowing you to stream audio from the television's built-in and connected sources to a Bluetooth-enabled set of headphones (only one set of headphones can be paired - not compatible with Bluetooth speakers). Bluetooth headphone volume level can be controlled from both the TV's remote and headphones.The TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs will be deactivated when streaming audio via Bluetooth.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony OLED TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi (802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n or better recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony OLED TV is equipped with Android's Marshmallow (6.0.1) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future. Popular apps include -
- 4K HDR Content: The Sony 4K OLED TV supports the new HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs that are needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K & 4K HDR video services (like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Google Play Movies/TV, PlayStation Video, and other providers).
- More TV Shows/Movie/Videos: Watch movies and TV shows from Hulu Plus, Vudu, HBO Go/HBO Now, Starz Play, ShowTime AnyTime, and more
- Live TV: Get live TV programming from PlayStation Vue & Sling Television
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, & Google Play Music.
- Sports: Get scores, news, and highlights from MLB.TV, FoxSportGo, and the Direct Sports Network.
Note: 4K & 4K HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K streaming. Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Mobile Device Streaming: The Sony OLED TV allows you to wirelessly stream content from a compatible mobile device using ChromeCast Built-in for playback on the big screen. You can also "mirror" your compatible mobile device using Miracast.
- Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device to the Sony OLED TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows (on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play, HBO Now, PlayStation Vue and more); your favorite music and radio stations (on Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, YouTube Music, and more); Sports highlights (on ESPN, NBC, CBS, and more); plus photos & videos (on YouTube, Google Photos, and more) from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Sony TV. For a list of all compatible Chromecast Built-in apps click here.
- Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Smart Home Automation: Beyond streaming content, Sony's Android TV platform allows Home Automation control directly from the TV, via the Logitech Harmony Hub (596HMNYHUB, sold separately). IoT (internet of things) devices such as lights, thermostats, Blu-ray players, security cameras, and other home entertainment devices can be controlled and automated via the TV's remote and on-screen menus. Compatible with Nest and Phillips Hue (sold separately).
Note: Requires all compatible devices be connected to the same WiFi wireless network.
Opera Web Browser: You can download and install the Opera Web Browser to access select web content through the Sony TV. The built-in web browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse select websites (text-based only). The Opera Web Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use the Android TV apps. Some web-pages may not be supported and too large for download.
Note: The browsing experience may not be the same as it is on your computer. The web browser is not compatible with Flash video and Java applications. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Google Play Games w/ Gamepad: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. You can connect up to four wireless gamepads (sold separately) for multi-player gaming. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the Sony TV when you get home.
Photo Sharing Plus: With Photo Sharing Plus, friends and family can share their memories together on the big screen from their Android (2.3+) or Apple iOS (6+) devices. Up to 10 mobile devices can be connected to the TV at once for a fun interactive experience. User can even save their favorite pics between devices.
Media Streaming: The Sony TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB (MSC) , WiFi, and DLNA devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/WAV music files, MPEG/MP4/AVCHD/AVI/MKV/MOV video files, JPEG photo files.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or WiFi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony TV features three USB type-A ports (two 2.0/one 3.0) for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. Your USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32 or NTFS. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500A/900A).
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and Android TV apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Discover Button & Content Bar: You can use the remote's Discover button to search for content across platforms (TV Antenna, Android TV, Apps, etc.). Content is then displayed along the unobtrusive "Content Bar" at the bottom of the TV screen which quickly lets you find the movie, TV show, or video you're looking for. Call up the Content Bar and you can keep watching, while you scan through live TV, on demand, downloaded TV shows, and much more. You can even customize the Content Bar to show you the content you go to most often first.
- Android TV Recommendations: Personalized content recommendations from Google Play, YouTube and your apps appear automatically in the TV's home screen. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch, let Sony's Android TV recommend something for you and the family to watch.
- Voice Search: Simply activate the Voice Search function through the included remote control or Android TV App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone/tablet. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into the device's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications. If you press the Voice Search button on your remote while you're in a particular app, you'll only search within that app.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Action Menu: By pressing the "Action Menu" button on the remote, a menu appears and provides quick access to the functions that are available for the currently displayed screen, such as picture adjustment, sound adjustment, volume adjustment for the connected device (such as headphones), and display/audio change. The items in the menu differ depending on the selected screen.
Netflix Recommended: This Sony OLED TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that is offers a unique feature set which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. The Sony TV has an Instant On feature so the TV wakes and apps are ready to use right away. In addition, the TV turns on and launches Netflix with one press of the Netflix button on the included IR remote. Online apps, including Netflix, can resume quickly and return where you left off. Its Android TV interface enables easy navigation and switching between apps and inputs.
DIRECTV 4K Ready: This Sony television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Sony TV, without the need for additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Sony TV's LAN port.
Note: Whether you are a new or existing DIRECTV customer, you will need to contact DIRECTV to complete the RVU setup.
Daydream Display: You can set up a screensaver (Daydream) for the Sony Android TV that displays photos and colorful designs. Daydream uses a collection of scenic photos; you cannot customize the photos that appear. You can choose how long (5/10/15/30/60 min.) it takes for the Daydream screensaver to start when you are not using the TV.
Power Management Functions: This Sony TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Help Guide: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV also features an on-screen Help Guide for more detailed information.
Remote w/ Built-in Mic (IR blaster included): The remote offers soft push-button control and features a built-in mic for voice recognition. The built-in microphone provides voice control of select Android TV functions. The remote even has dedicated Google Play & Netflix buttons, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker. The included IR Blaster lets you control other devices in your home from the Sony TV remote.
Note: The remote's microphone and voice control function operate via Bluetooth, while all other remote functions are done through IR.
Remote Apps: The Sony OLED TV offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App (for Android only) or Sony's Video & TV SideView Remote App (for Android & Apple iOS).
- Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App from Google Play lets you use your Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone or tablet as a remote to control the Sony television's Android TV functions. Easily navigate content and play games on your compatible Android TV device. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Video & TV SideView Remote: With the free Sony Video & TV SideView App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.2+), you can control the Sony TV and browse its content from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The Video & TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
Digital Voice Assistant Control (Firmware Updates Required): The Sony UHD TV will support voice control of select functions through the Google Assistant & Amazon Alexa (requires a firmware update).
- Google Assistant: Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will support the Google Assistant through its Android operating system and the included IR remote's built-in microphone. Simply trigger the Google Assistant by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speak into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to turn volume up/down, change channels and inputs, search content on select built-in Android TV apps, and control basic playback functions. In addition to TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The TV also supports voice control through the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately).
- Amazon Alexa: Through an over-the-network firmware update, Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) will be able to control key functions of the Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content. Click here for setup instructions
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller (sold separately): If you have a Sony PlayStation 4, your DualShock 4 controller can become the TV's remote by downloading the BRAVIA TV Player app on your PlayStation 4 through the PlayStation Store. You'll also be able to control your PlayStation 4's on-screen user interface with the TV's remote.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with a compatible keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial Port: You can connect the 3.5mm serial port to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Rear-Mounted Media Box/Easel Stand: The Sony OLED TV features a rear-mounted media box that also acts as an easel stand for the television. The media box contains all of the TVs inputs and outputs - including 4 HDMI inputs, a 3.5mm AV input, 3 USB ports, an Ethernet jack, an Optical digital output, a stereo minijack output, 3.5mm serial port, and a IEC power connector.
Tabletop Mounting: The integrated easel stand allows you to place the Sony OLED TV on top of a piece of AV furniture. The easel stand pulls out from the back of the TV and locks into place. You'll have to install the easel stand's based and locking bracket. The TV and easel stand weigh 79.8 lbs with the easel base and locking bracket installed. TV easel stand does not swivel.
Wall Mounting (Optional Bracket Required): The integrated easel stand folds against the back of the OLED TV and locks into place with included hardware. Once you have the easel stand folded and locked against the back of the TV, you can add an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately) to mount the television against a wall. The integrated easel stand features 4 threaded screw inserts that are spaced 400mm (h) x 200mm (v) apart. The threaded inserts will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 65.7 lbs when wall mounted.
Cable Management: The integrated media box/easel stand features a removable back cover which lets you neatly arrange and conceal all your cables and cords for a lean, professional looking installation.
Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Sony OLED TV comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. The AC power cord is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug which sits approximately 1.5625" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Video Team
Sony's OLED 4K TVs give you the amazing picture quality you'd expect from Sony. The sound is created by vibrations in the panel and it sounds more like a sound bar.
Why did you buy this?
Based on a lot of research this is the best television for my home and budget. [ Michael Jan 31, 2018 ]
from friends & online reviews [ TAM Dec 30, 2017 ]
Awesome design combined with cutting edge picture and tech. [ John Dec 29, 2017 ]
Best television available today. Looking forward to upgrading my current setup. [ Sam Nov 28, 2017 ]
Wanted it since launch day, waiting for good price. $1,000 black friday discount did it for me. [ David Nov 25, 2017 ]
Best TV on the market. [ Raymond Nov 24, 2017 ]
Picture quality & sound capabilities for Simplification of use. [ Thomas Oct 30, 2017 ]
Advice from Maria [ Steven Sep 28, 2017 ]
oled and sony image processing [ MICHAEL Sep 18, 2017 ]
Zac's recommendation [ PAUL T Jun 25, 2017 ]
It's Sony and OLED. :) [ Virgil May 08, 2017 ]
6 questions already asked
I have been watching the TV since October with no signs of burn-in. I had read about this issue but so far no problems. I don't tend to leave the screen on the same picture, however. [ Douglas Feb 14, 2018 ]
I too was concerned about this issue after reading the owners manual. I watch the financial channels. These sources will often times have stationary graphics that appear for long durations, a situation that could create a burn-in. So far this has not been an issue but I do limit the amount of time spent on any one channel so the screen does have time to "refresh" itself. The 65AE1 does have a utility, that is provided, to cleanse the panel of burn-ins. It does this by creating a high intensity beam that moves across the screen to remove any artifacts but warns that overuse can shorten the life of the OLED panel. So far I have not needed to use this utility and hope that I never will. [ Gregory Feb 14, 2018 ]
I purchased the Sony 65" XBR65A1E OLED TV in Sept/17. Because of the cost, I waited a while and did research of all OLED TVs. Since I bought this Sony TV, I have had hours of continuous entertainment. I have experienced no burn-in at all and it is as sharp as the day it was delivered. I highly recommend this to anyone. I am considering buying another one for my den in the future. [ ALMA Feb 14, 2018 ]
I have two OLED TV (LG and Sony). LG has been up for about year and Sony for about 8 months. Each screen runs on avg 8 hours a day. I have had no burn in issues so far. LG is also connected to a computer so there is fairly static content displayed on screen. Both models are equipped with safety features like pixel shift and auto blackout. [ Ankur Feb 14, 2018 ]
I've had this model since June of 2017 and have not experienced any burn-in issues. I display a lot of content that has static images on the screen, such as video games, 4:3 movies (black bars on the sides) and TV shows with tickers at the top/bottom of the screen. I, too, was worried about burn-in before I bought my unit after reading reviews online, but I think those people ran hard tests that weren't typical to an everyday user. Even if you experienced a little image retention from something, the Sony (and I'm sure LG) has a built-in tool you can run from the TV menu that massages it out. [ Steven Feb 14, 2018 ]
I have had this TV for about a year. I live in Montana where the winters are long so I spend a fair amount of the winter watching TV, while i tie flies, in fact as much as 12 hours a day. I have seen no indications of burn in problems. [ John Feb 14, 2018 ]
none. 'it's an amazing tv [ JOSE Feb 14, 2018 ]
The Dolby Vision firmware update was released on 1/23/2018. If your unit doesn't include it, you can perform a software update once connected to an internet connection. [ Steven Feb 14, 2018 ]
Sony has not issued the firmware update yet. It is expected to be pushed out sometime in Q4, so could be as early as next week or as late as the end of the year. [ Mark Oct 21, 2017 ]
6 answers I want to purchase this TV asap but I do not like how it sits on its stand. Is there a stand/mount available that will raise the TV up so as to put my Bose soundbar underneath? I also would prefer the set more vertical and not tilted back. I do not want to mount it on the wall. Thank you for any help! [ Robert Aug 08, 2017 ]
Richard, Richard, Richard! Soundbar-- Soundbar -- You don't need no stinking soundbar! (Actually said in Blazing Saddles). Seriously the sound that emanates from the screen drivers is surprisingly phenomenal. Now the only upgrade to this sound system might Dolby Atmos. if you want Dolby Atmos -- I encourage you to make the enormous effort of finding a TV stand with a slot under the TV to house that (probably available at Copenhagen Import Furniture or IKEA) -- but really anything else - even a Bose of most any model is a waste. There I said it, and it is my opinion. That is done. Now for the issue of the slanted picture The only time you will notice that the picture is not vertical is when you are not watching TV! This is an OLED screen so you will not notice any drop off in the lumination of what you are watching and the slant is not noticeable - period! Mine is on a TV stand and my head height is right in the middle and I love it. I do wish I had waited another two months I would have saved $500 but being an early adopter one has to pay for their place in line. Richard, GET IT -- you will love it. And then you will show it off and earn those techy points from your friends. BTW: If you finally mount it on the wall and you do not add a sound bar you will lose a lot of the base from the integrated subwoofer. I would try to discourage that but then you could use your Bose sound system. Decisions - decisions- decisions! Good Luck! [ Lola S Blandin Aug 15, 2017 ]
Sorry I cannot help as I mounted it on a wall with a narrow table underneath where I keep my receiver. To fully appreciate the picture close seating is better - maybe 8 - 10 feet. For me the sound from the screen is adequate and I did not install a sound at [ F J Aug 14, 2017 ]
I do not know of any mount but the pedestal works well and the incline is minimal. It is not noticeable when watching since the incident angle of the tv does not affect the picture (unlike led). [ David Aug 09, 2017 ]
I just mounted mine on the wall - pretty easy and will work with just about any standard wall mount. Not sure how you are going to be able to "put your sound bar underneath" without putting up on a wall. The kick stand is a little strange and I don't see how you could put anything under the TV while using it. [ Richard Aug 08, 2017 ]
To my knowledge, there's no way to mount it at 90 degrees without wall mounting it. The way the stand is built forces it to be slightly tilted. [ Steven Aug 08, 2017 ]
I'm not aware of a stand that would elevate the TV...the given your not interested in a wall mount, you might want to consider relicatimg your sound bar possibly above the TV. Sanus offers some nice floating shelve mounting options that might suit your purpose. [ Jim Aug 08, 2017 ]
The model we carry is designed for U.S.A./Canada 120V AC, 60 Hz power standards. You may want to contact Sony directly for more info on whether they have a separate model available--their support number is 888-222-7669 [ Larry Apr 30, 2017 ] Staff
There's no good way to do that with this TV. All of the HD and 4K inputs are digital (HDMI) and there's no option to provide just the center channel audio to these inputs. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Apr 28, 2017 ] Staff
I'm afraid we don't carry TV wall mounts from Omnimount here. If you'd like to discuss our selection of Sanus mounts that are compatible with the Sony XBR-65A1E, please feel free to reach out to an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. [ Larry Apr 26, 2017 ] Staff