Home theater receiver with HDMI switching and video conversion (Black)
Item # 580TXS605B | MFR # TXSR605
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo TX-SR605 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Onkyo designed the versatile TX-SR605 to deliver exceptional audio and video performance from today's newest generation of high-def components. This future-ready receiver offers the latest HDMI capability along with highly advanced audio and video processing for a cutting-edge home theater experience. For example, it can decode Dolby® True HD and DTS-HD® Master Audio two new high-resolution surround sound formats found on many Blu-ray players and discs.
Flexible video connections
The 'SR605's 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs let you hook up two high-def sources and switch easily between them. Analog-to-HDMI video conversion adds to the convenience, letting you pass the video signals from all your components to your TV via one HDMI connection. This simplifies hookup and maintains the best picture quality possible for every source in your system. For televisions without a digital input, component video conversion offers similar convenience in the analog video realm.
Fast, accurate setup
For the most accurate home theater sound possible, the 'SR605 includes Audyssey 2EQ, a sophisticated speaker calibration system from Audyssey Laboratories. Using the included microphone, the receiver analyzes sound from two different listening positions, then automatically adjusts level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. You'll get clear, precise, natural sound that's optimized for your room.
Flexible entertainment options
This receiver's dual-room/dual-source audio capability lets you enjoy home theater in your main room while a housemate listen to stereo music in a second room. You can integrate your iPod® by adding Onkyo's handy control dock. The 'SR605 is also XM Ready and compatible with XM's HD surround music channels. Or connect an optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit to enjoy SIRIUS satellite programming. (Subscriptions required for XM and SIRIUS.)
- 90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES®, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- iPod integration (requires optional Onkyo DS-A2x iPod dock)
- Audyssey 2EQ auto speaker setup (microphone included)
- dual-room/dual-source audio
- RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) control via HDMI with compatible components
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- high-current amplifier design
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
- 40 AM/FM/XM/SIRIUS presets
- aluminum front panel
- multibrand remote
- sleep timer
- 17-1/8"W x 6-7/8"H x 15-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.3a
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- component video conversion
- digital inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front panel), 2 coaxial
- 5 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 1 pair of main speaker outputs
What's in the Box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RC-682M)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Speaker setup microphone with attached 19.5' cable (3.5mm mono mini-plug terminal)
- Plastic speaker terminal wrench
- Instruction Manual
- Quick setup guide
- Remote control code chart
- Product registration card/Warranty information
- Interactive iPod dock information
- EZ Sync compatibility sheet
- Video Playback note
- Using Satellite Radio instruction booklet
- XM Channel Guide
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
Great value for the money. The sound quality is great (supporting the latest HD sound formats!) and it is very flexible.
Gerald, Flint, MI
Onkyo TX-SR605 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
7.1 Channel Amplifier: The Onkyo TX-SR605 features a 90 watts RMS x 7-channel amplifier in 8-ohms at 20 to 20,000 Hz with a total harmonic distortion of 0.08%.
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): This technology uses low-negative-feedback circuit topology for accurate signal reproduction, improved dynamic signal-to-noise ratio, and better delivery of power peaks.
Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs): To decode and playback high-resolution recordings, this receiver is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit DACs.
Faroudija DCDi Edge Technology: The Onkyo TX-SR605 utilizes deinterlacing chips featuring Faroudja DCDi Edge technology to convert 480i interlaced video signals to 480p progressive scan signals.
Video Conversion: The Onkyo TX-SR605 will also convert incoming analog composite video, S-video, and component video signals to HDMI so you can connect all your video sources through the receiver and then to your TV via HDMI to give you the best picture quality possible. The receiver can also convert composite video and S-video signal to component video; useful if your television does not feature an HDMI input.
HDMI Switching: The TX-SR605 has two HDMI version 1.3a inputs and one HDMI version 1.3a output for connecting DVD players, HDTV set-top boxes, and other video components through the receiver to your TV or projector. The HDMI cables will pass digital audio and video. The HDMI inputs are compatible with DVI, so TVs and displays with a DVI input can be connected by using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable, along with audio cables. The receiver uses HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), so only HDCP-compatible components can display the picture. The HDMI inputs can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p signals to a TV, monitor, or projector. Each of the HDMI inputs can be assigned to any of the three rear panel A/V inputs (DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT).
Component Video Switching: In addition to HDMI, composite video, and S-Video switching, this unit can switch between high definition component video sources. There are 3 component video inputs and 1 component video output. The component video inputs and outputs have a bandwidth of 5Hz to 50MHz.
RIHD (Remote Interactivity Over HDMI): RIHD synchronizes RIHD-compatible displays and components for integrated control via HDMI connection and use of the receiver's IR remote control. RIHD provides the following integrated operations.
- Control: this function allows CEC-standard-compatible equipment connected to HDMI and RIHD-compatible equipment to be operated together with the Onkyo receiver
- Power Control: provides an electrical power link between the TX-SR605 and RIHD-compatible components through the HDMI connection and allows for those components to turn on or off with the receiver
- TV Control: allows you to control the TX-SR605 from an RIHD-compatible TV that is connected via HDMI, currently compatible with Panasonic Televisions featuring EZ Sync
Satellite Ready: The Onkyo TX-SR605 features proprietary ports on the rear panel for XM and Sirius Satellite Radio connection. In addition to the following optional satellite tuners needed (sold separately), you will need a subscription to XM and/or Sirius Satellite radio.
- XM Satellite Radio Ready: The receiver can be connected to the optional XM Home Mini-Tuner and Home Dock (part # 700XMTUNPK, sold separately), allowing you to receive XM Satellite Radio through the TX-SR605. You can search XM radio stations by Channel, Category or Direct Tuning. You can also choose to display the following XM information on the receiver's display - Channel Name, Channel Number, Category Name, Artist Name or Song Title.
- Sirius Satellite Radio Ready: The TX-SR605 can also be connected to the optional SiriusConnect Home Tuner kit (part # 607SCH1, sold separately), which allows you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio through the receiver. You can search Sirius radio stations by Channel, Category or Direct Tuning. You can also choose to display the following Sirius information on the receiver's display - Channel Name, Channel Number, Category Name, Artist Name or Song Title.
Note: You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite XM channels, Sirius Channels and AM/FM radio stations as presets.
Multi-Zone: The TX-SR605 features the following Zone 2 connections so you can listen to one input source in your main room and a different source in another room.
- Line Out: By using the line-level outputs on the TX-SR605 you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1 surround in the main room and play a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp.
- Speaker Out: By using the speaker-level outputs on the TX-SR605 you can directly connect a secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 5.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different audio source in the other room. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the TX-SR605 receiver.
Automatic Speaker Setup: With the supplied speaker setup microphone, the Audyssey 2EQ Automatic Speaker Setup function can measure and correct for the acoustics in your listening room. The speaker setup function measures the test tone output by each speaker and automatically determines the number of speakers connected, their sizes, crossover frequencies, and the distance from each speaker to the listening position. The supplied microphone is approximately 2" in diameter, 1" tall, and has a 19.5' cable that plugs into the front of the receiver. There is a threaded insert on the bottom of the microphone so it can be mounted on a tripod for accurate listening position placement. Three listening position measurements are taken, one primary and two secondary, to optimize the surround effect for a broad area. If you wish to setup the speakers manually, you can follow the procedure for Speaker Configuration.
Speaker Distance: The distance from your listening position to each speaker can also be set manually. The front speaker distance can be set from 1 to 30 feet in 1-foot increments. The center and subwoofer settings can be up to 5 feet more or 5 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers (30 feet max). The settings for the surround left, surround right, surround back left, and surround back right speakers are each individually adjustable, and they may be up to 5 feet more or 15 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers (30 feet max).
Speaker Levels: You can manually adjust the level of individual speakers between -12dB and +12dB; -15dB to +12dB for the subwoofer.
Double Bass: You can enhance the bass output by activating the Double Bass function. This function allows you to feed bass frequencies to the front left and right channels and to the subwoofer. Double Bass can be set only when the subwoofer is set to On and the front speakers are set to Large.
Adjustable Highpass Crossover: This receiver has a built-in high-pass crossover for any of the speakers set to Small. This setting is available when the subwoofer is set to Yes. The frequencies that you can choose from are 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, and 200 Hz. Frequencies lower than the set crossover point are output by the subwoofer.
LFE Low-Pass Crossover: With this setting, you can specify the cutoff frequency of the receiver's LFE channel's low-pass filter, which can be used to filter out unwanted hum from your powered subwoofer. You can select either 80, 100, or 120 Hz.
Subwoofer Input Sensitivity: You can change the receiver's subwoofer input sensitivity to match your DVD player's LFE channel output. You can select from 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
Equalizer: The EQ function offers three options:
- Off: flat response
- Audyssey: adjusts the frequency response of all speakers to correct the effects of room acoustics, based on measurements taken using the included microphone
- Manual: the five band equalizer can be adjusted independently for each of the seven full range speaker channels (front, center, surround, and surround back), the EQ bands are centered at 80, 250, 800, 2500, and 8000 Hz (subwoofer EQ bands are centered at 40, 80, and 160 Hz) they are adjustable from -6 to +6 dB in 1 dB increments
Bi-Amp Speaker Connections: The Front Left/Right and Surround Back Left/Right terminal posts can be used together to bi-amp a front pair speakers that support bi-amping, providing separate tweeter and woofer power feeds, giving you improved bass and treble performance. When bi-amping, the Front Left/Right terminal posts connect to the front speakers' tweeter terminals while the Surround Back Left/Right terminal posts connect to the front speakers' woofer terminals. During bi-amping, the receiver is able to drive up to a 5.1 speaker system.
iPod Compatible: The DS-A1 or DS-A2 Remote Interactive Dock for iPod (item #'s 580DSA1 and 580DSA2) provide an interface between an iPod digital media player and Onkyo TX-SR605. Once the iPod is docked you can control basic functions such as volume control, play, stop, and skip via the Onkyo system's RI-compatible wireless remote control. The dock also charges the battery in the iPod, and allows you to view digital photos and video on an Onkyo home theater system.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The TX-SR605 has 4 assignable digital audio inputs (2 optical/2 coaxial) allowing you to specify which input source is connected to which digital input jack.
Multi-Channel Input: The receiver is equipped with a 7.1 multi-channel input for compatibility with external decoders or high resolution audio players such as DVD-Audio or SACD. The input consists of left front, right front, center, subwoofer, left surround, right surround, left surround back and right surround back RCA inputs.
Audio/Video Sync: Occasionally the audio and video signals are not properly synchronized, typically when using a progressive scanning DVD player. You can correct this by delaying the audio; options are 0 (no delay) to 100 milliseconds, in 20 millisecond steps.
Bass and Treble: You can adjust the bass and treble for the front speakers. You can boost or cut low-frequency sounds output by the front speakers from -10 to +10 dB in 2 dB steps. You can boost or cut high-frequency sounds output by the front speakers from -10 to +10 dB in 2 dB steps.
Direct Mode: This mode delivers pure sound with minimum sound quality adjustment and filtration. The sound recorded for the right and left front channels is output to the right and left front speakers only and not output to the subwoofer, center, or rear speakers.
Listening Modes: This receiver incorporates a powerful and highly accurate 32-bit DSP processor and a wide variety of listening modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The listening modes include:
- Direct: audio from the input source is output directly with minimal processing
- Stereo: sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer
- Mono: monaural sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer
- Multi-channel: 7.1-channel analog input
- Dolby Pro Logic II:
expands any 2-channel source to 5.1 channels
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx:
expands any 2-channel source to 7.1 channels
- Dolby Digital: decodes Dolby Digital soundtracks
- Dolby Digital EX: decodes Dolby Digital EX or expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources to 6.1 or 7.1-channels
- Dolby Digital Plus: multi-channel audio format that supports up to 7.1 channels with 48 kHz sampling rate
- Dolby Digital+Neo:6: expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources to 6.1 or 7.1-channels
- Dolby Digital+PLIIx Music: expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources to 6.1 or 7.1-channels
- Dolby Digital+PLIIx Movie: expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources to 7.1-channels
- DTS: decodes DTS soundtracks
- DTS 96/24: decodes high resolution DTS 96/24 soundtracks
decodes DTS ES soundtracks
- DTS-HD High Resolution: multi-channel format supporting up to 7.1 channels with 96 kHz sampling rate
- DTS-HD Master Audio: offers up to 7.1 discrete channels of digital audio with 48/96 kHz, up to 5.1 channels with 192 kHz sampling rate
- DTSNeo:6: expands any
2-channel source to 6.1 or 7.1-channels
- TrueHD: delivers exceptional sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs
- Neural Surround: allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage, with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements for 5.1 or 7.1 multi-channel surround playback
- Onkyo Original DSP Modes
- Mono Movie: suitable for old movies or other mono sources
- Orchestra: for classical or operatic music
- Unplugged: for acoustic instruments, vocals, and jazz
- Studio-Mix: suitable for rock or pop
- TV Logic: adds realistic acoustics to TV shows
- All Ch Stereo: ideal for background music
- Full Mono: all speakers output the same sound in mono
- Theater-Dimensional (T-D): enjoy virtual 5.1 surround with two or three speakers (you can set the virtual surround imaging to Narrow or Wide)
Note: You can assign a default listening mode to each input source that will be selected automatically when you select each input source.
Dolby Pro Logic II & IIx Music Modes: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II or IIx Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust:
- Panorama: broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu
- Dimension: allows you to move the sound field forward or backward
- Center Width: allows you to adjust the width of the center channel
Center Image: In the DTS Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
CinemaFilter: Using the CinemaFilter you soften overly bright movie soundtracks. Movie soundtracks are typically mixed for a large theater (relative to your home theater) with lots of soft seats and thick curtains on the walls. Home theater settings often lack these high frequency absorbing wall treatments, making the soundtrack sound too bright. CinemaFilter accounts for this and for many movies sounds more natural at home.
On-Screen Display: In addition to the receiver's front panel display, the unit features an on-screen menu for easier viewing and operation. You can select the type of TV screen you are using from a 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio so that the menu details are displayed properly. You can also specify where the menu operation details are displayed on the screen - Top or Bottom.
IntelliVolume: You can set the input level of each input source. This useful if some of your AV components are louder or quieter than others. IntelliVolume does not affect Zone 2.
Volume Setting: You can specify the maximum level volume as well as the power on volume level. You can also specify the headphone volume level relative to the main volume setting.
Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High.
Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
Sleep Function: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10 minute increments.
Display Dimmer: The display brightness has three settings; Dim, Dimmer, and Normal.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied RC-682M wireless remote is a multi-brand remote. The remote is pre-programmed to operate Onkyo components, as well as other popular brands of equipment, including DVD players, satellite receivers, cable boxes, VCRs, and televisions.
Multi-channel Input: Labeled DVD, the TX-SR605 has a multi-channel input for connecting a DVD player, a high resolution audio player (such as a DVD-Audio or SACD player), or an external decoder. The input consists of left front, right front, center, subwoofer, left surround, right surround, left surround back and right surround back RCA inputs. You can also connect a component using only left and right audio jacks, if desired. Additionally there are composite video, S-video, and component video jacks for this input.
Headphone Output: This receiver has a standard 1/4" headphone output on the front panel. The speaker outputs are muted when headphones are plugged in.
Speaker Outputs: There are color-coded binding post connectors for the left front, right front, center, left surround, right surround, left surround back, and right surround back speakers. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. There are spring terminals for the Zone 2 speakers.
RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Front Panel Inputs: The TX-SR605 features an S-video, composite video, stereo RCA, and a optical digital input on the front panel of the receiver.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.