Cardioid condenser microphone
Our take on the Audio-Technica ATM450 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Designed for tight spaces
The Audio-Technica ATM450 is more than just a great-sounding instrument mic. Its unique side-address stick design lets you place it flat against your sound source. That can save you valuable stage or studio space when things get tight.
The mic features a switchable high-pass filter for reducing "stage rumble" that can muddy your live mixes. The 10 dB pad further increase[s] your options when you want to mic high-volume instruments. The ATM450 comes with an isolation clamp for shock protection and easy positioning. And it includes a windscreen for recording vocals and wind instruments.
- stage and studio mic for overheads, percussion, acoustic guitar, and strings
- condenser microphone
- side-address stick design allows placement in tight spaces
- cardioid pattern for noise and feedback rejection
- large diaphragm for smooth, natural sound with low noise
- switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter and 10 dB pad
- frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: -41 dBV/Pa
- impedance: 200 ohms
- maximum SPL: 152 dB
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- weight: 3.5 oz.
- male XLR connector
- isolation clamp
- threaded stand adapter
- storage bag
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Cardioid condenser microphone
- AT8471 isolation clamp
- 5/8"-to-3/8" Thread adapter
- Foam windscreen
- Soft zippered pouch
- Specifications sheet
- Purchase Registration Card
- Disposal statement
Features and Specs
|Application||For live & studio use|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Audio-Technica ATM450 is a side-address cardioid condenser microphone. It is ideal for instruments, particularly percussion, strings, and acoustic guitar. It comes with the AT4871 isolation mount, thread adapter (5/8"-to-3/8"), foam windscreen, and a padded, zippered storage case.
Microphone Positioning: The microphone should be placed with the sound being directed toward the side-facing diaphragm. The front of the microphone is marked just above the Audio-Technica logo. Sounds coming from the opposite side of the diaphragm will be significantly reduced because of the cardioid pickup pattern.
Isolation Mount: The ATM450 comes with the AT4871 Isolation Mount. The mount provides effective dampening of mechanical noise, and allows you to position the microphone wherever you want. The mount has a 5/8"-27 thread for mounting on a stand, and comes with a 5/8"-to-3/8" plastic thread adapter.
Cardioid Pickup Pattern: The ATM450 has a cardioid polar pattern for maximum gain before feedback, and excellent rejection of off-axis sound.
Phantom Power: The ATM450 is a permanently polarized condenser microphone which requires a balanced, microphone-level input that provides phantom power (11-52 V DC, 3.5mA typical). Phantom power can be supplied by the mixer or audio interface that the microphone is connected to. Usually the mixer has a switch to activate the phantom power.
Switches: The ATM450 has two switches on the back for setting Attenuation and the 80 Hz Low-Cut Filter:
- Attenuation Switch: The attenuation switch, or "pad" lets you reduce the signal level without altering the frequency response. This prevents extremely loud sounds from overloading the microphone. The two settings are 0dB (no attenuation) and -10dB (attenuation on).
- Low-Frequency Rolloff Switch: The low-frequency rolloff switch, or low-cut filter, changes the frequency response of the microphone. With the switch on, all frequencies 80 Hz and lower are rolled off at an 18dB per octave slope to reduce low frequency rumble.
Thread Adapter: A 5/8"-to-3/8" thread adapter is included. This adapter allows the Isolation Mount to be attached to a mic stand with a 3/8" threaded connector.
|Frequency Response||40 Hz-20 kHz|
|Type||Fixed-charge back plate, Permanently polarized condenser|
|Open Circuit Sensitivity||-41 dBV/Pa (8.9mV)|
|Maximum SPL||152dB SPL (Pad Off) |
162dB SPL (10dB Pad On)
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||69 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa|
|Dynamic Range||127 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 0.83" |
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Cardioid condenser microphone$249.00
Shure SM57 Instrument Mic Package
Includes Shure SM57 microphone, Samson stand, Whirlwind microphone cable$129.98$146.97
Small-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone
AKG C451 B
Small-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone$499.99