Crown CDi 1000
Power amplifier — 275W x 2 at 8 ohms, 1,400W x 1 at 4 ohms bridged
Item # 859CDI1000 | MFR # CDI1000
$1,028.00 Earn up to 1,028 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Crown CDi 1000 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A versatile workhorse amplifier
The Crown CDi 1000 is a versatile, powerful amplifier that can be used in just about any home, commercial or professional setting. It provides accurate, uncolored sound with solid power to drive speakers well. The amplifier is rated for 2- 4- or 8-ohm loads and 70V and 140V output, so you have plenty of configuration options. The CDi 1000 can drive speakers in a stereo arrangement, or provide bridged mono power as well.
Built-in processing gives you precise control
The CDi 1000 gives you a wide range of DSP settings for shaping your sound from the rack. It's got six parametric filters per channel for the input EQ, plus high- and low-pass crossovers. Eight more parametric EQ filters per channel can be applied post-crossover, giving you the ability to carefully control just about any commercial speaker setup.
Adjustable time delay lets you dial in well-synced sound in distributed audio systems covering large spaces. And the CDi 1000's 19 user presets let you save all your DSP settings for quick and convenient recall.
HiQnet for further adjustments
You can connect the CDi 1000 Series amp to your laptop using the amplifier's USB port, providing access to optional HiQnet Band Manager or Audio Architect software which you can download. These software programs allow you to tweak your system settings right from your laptop, and save the settings for future setups. They can also give you real-world feedback on how different components can fit into your system down the road.
- advanced protection circuitry guards against: shorted outputs, mismatched loads, general overheating and other hazards
- rated for 2- 4- and 8-ohm loads and 70V and 140V output
- 275 watts at 8 ohms
- 500 watts at 4 ohms
- 700 watts at 2 ohms
- bypassable input EQ: 6 parametric filters per channel with adjustable Q, ±15 dB boost/cut, and adjustable shelving filters
- output EQ: 8 parametric filters per channel with adjustable Q, ±15 dB boost/cut, and adjustable shelving filters (not bypassable)
- processor-controlled DC and thermal protection
- output limiter prevents clipping (-3, -6, or -12 dB threshold per channel)
- intuitive front-panel controls for easy configuration
- backlit LCD shows speaker presets
- separate LED lights for power, ready indicator, clipping and excessive temperature warning
- switch-mode universal power supply
- individual rotary level controls for each channel
- 4-position barrier strip with connectors for dual loudspeakers or bridged mono
- Type B USB port allows connection to a PC for using HiQnet software
- two 3-pin removable Phoenix-type connectors accept balanced line-level input signal
- 19"W x 3-1/2"H x 12-1/4"D
- weight: 19 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 33" Power cord (IEC 3-Pin)
- Two 3-Pin Phoenix connectors
- 2 Attenuator security covers
- 5 Crimp-on spade terminals
- "Non-Touch" Speaker terminal cover (Installed on rear panel)
- Owner's manual
Overview: The Crown CDi1000 is a 2 channel power amplifier designed for installed sound applications, providing accurate, uncolored sound with low distortion and capable of powering 2, 4, and 8 Ohm speaker loads or 70V and 140V speakers. Other features include; an intuitive front-panel LCD screen for quick and easy configuration, onboard digital signal processing that includes crossovers, Eq filters, delay, and output limiting, switch-mode universal power supply, and advanced protection circuitry to guard against shorted outputs, mismatched loads, and overheating.
Inputs/Outputs: Inputs consist of two 3-pin Phoenix connectors, that can accept either a balanced or unbalanced line-level input. The speaker output is a 4-position barrier strip that can be configured for 2 channels, in Dual mode, or a mono output in Bridge mode.
Power Rating: The CDi1000 features a flexible output that can power 2Ω - 8Ω loads, in Dual mode, and 4Ω - 8Ω loads in Bridged-mono mode. 70V speakers can be used in Dual mode and 140V speakers for Bridged-mono mode. Power ratings are as follows:
Level Controls: The front panel is equipped with two independent rotary Level (Gain) controls that allow optimal signal level to be set in conjunction with the LED level indicators.
LED Indicators: The power amplifier features two 6-segment LED strips that provide various information about the amp. Each strip has the following LED's:
- Thermal: Lights red indicating whether the Thermal Protection circuit has been activated (When internal temperature exceeds 176˚F/80˚C).
- Clip: Lights red when the signal reaches the threshold of distortion.
- -10dB: Flashes green when the signal level reaches 10dB below the clip point.
- -20dB: Flashes green when the signal level reaches 20dB below the clip point.
- Signal: Flashes green when a very low-level signal is present on that input channel.
- Ready: Lights green when the amplifier is ready to produce audio.
DSP Options: The CDi1000 offers several DSP processes such as crossovers, Eq bypass, delay, 70V mode, and output limiting, which are accessed using the front panel LCD screen and the three navigation buttons: Sel/Enter, Prev/Up, and Next/Down. Settings can be modified and stored as a preset with 19 user presets available. The DSP options are as follows:
- Output Mode:
- 70V: Sets 70V mode for channel 1 and 2.
- High Z: Channel is configured for 70V/high-Z loads.
- Low Z: Channel is configured for low-Z loads (2, 4, or 8 Ohm speakers).
- Input Mode:
- CH1 + CH2: Signals on channel 1 and 2 are summed together and fed to both output channels.
- Input Y: Channel 1 input goes to both channel 1 and 2's outputs.
- Stereo: Channel 1 input goes to channel 1 output and channel 2 input goes to channel 2 output.
- XOV (Crossover): The available crossover frequencies are: OFF, 90Hz, 100Hz, 1200Hz, 1500Hz, 2000Hz, 2-CH SUB, CUSTOM.
- EQ (Equalization for Ch.1 and Ch.2): Options are: OUT and IN. When IN is selected, the equalization that you set up in the System Architect software is applied to the signal. OUT bypasses equalization.
- DEL (Delay for Ch.1 and Ch.2): Delay times are: OFF, 1-10 msec, 10-50 msec, and 0 sec. The 0 sec option is a placeholder for any delay time set in the System Architect software.
USB Input: The back panel includes a USB-B input which allows you to use Harman's System Architect software to edit the DSP functions of the CDi1000.
Cooling: With a rear-panel cooling fan, the CDi1000 employs flow-through, front-to-back ventilation for rapid, uniform head dissipation.
Protection Systems: The CDi1000 incorporates a number of protection features which include:
- Output Current Limiting: This circuitry protects the amplifier output stage from damage caused by short-circuit loads.
- DC Protection: Shuts down the amplifier in the event of an output DC offset exceeding 2V.
- Thermal Protection: This will activate if the internal heatsink temperature exceeds proper operating temperatures (176˚F/80˚C).
- Non-Touch Cover: A shock-proof plastic cover is provided to protect the speaker output terminals from being shorted.
- Attenuator Security Covers: The front panel level controls can be removed, once proper levels have been set, and snap-in security covers can be installed to keep the levels from being adjusted.
Power Supply: The CDi1000 utilizes a switch-mode universal power supply, eliminating the need for voltage converters when using the amp in other countries.
- Power Output: 500W (per channel @4 Ohms)
- Sensitivity (for full rated power at 8 Ohms): 1.4V
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100dB
- THD: < 0.5%
- Damping Factor: >500
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Input Impedance: 20k Ohms balanced, 10k Ohms unbalanced
- Dimensions: Width = 17.313" (19" w/rack ears), Height = 3.50", Depth = 15.0"
- Weight: 21.9 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
To replace a failed PA at our office. [ FREDERICK Dec 13, 2017 ]