Kenwood Excelon DNX892
| Watch a first-look video |
New features in Kenwood navigation receivers
Crutchfield: Kenwood Excelon DNX892 display and controls demo
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
All that and moreUpgrading to a factory nav system for your vehicle might seem like a good idea when you're in the showroom, but you'll probably want something more versatile than what most car makers can deliver. Kenwood's multimedia DNX navigation receivers for 2015 boast more connectivity than ever before, plus great guidance, sound enhancements, and the trusted Kenwood name behind them. The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 adds a 2-year warranty, a pair of USB inputs, two camera inputs, a 13-band EQ, and 5-volt preamp outputs to an already dazzling array of features to entertain and inform you.
Garmin guidance on a large display
The navigation experts at Garmin built the GPS software for the DNX892 — you can view its maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico easily on the 6.95" touch display. You'll also get reliable routing with text-to-speech voice prompts that announce actual street names at turns, lane assistance, and realistic views of complicated intersections.
Use your smartphone intelligently
Kenwood lets you incorporate your favorite smartphone music apps into your drive. Here are some highlights for the DNX892:
iPhone®: With a separate cable, you'll get control of your Pandora® Internet radio and iHeartRadio apps through the receiver's touchscreen when connected. Limited control over your music apps is also available via wireless Bluetooth connection. The DNX892 also offers compatibility with your iPhone's Siri® feature for select email, Bluetooth® calling, and iPod® commands. The receiver's iPhone App Mode offers some basic interaction with select apps through its touchscreen using a wired connection; some apps such as streaming video may require the parking brake to be engaged.
- Android™: You'll get control of your smartphone's Pandora and iHeartRadio apps through Bluetooth, so no cable needed. The Kenwood Music Control app also gives you easy search and playback functions of your Android phone's music through the receiver.
The DNX892 also features an HDMI input, allowing you to connect most compatible Android smartphones and devices. WIth the correct HDMI or MHL cable connected, you'll be able to view video content from your phone on the Kenwood's screen while parked. The same goes for your iPhone 5 or newer, but you'll need to make sure you have the right combination of cables and adapters from Apple to view videos on the receiver's display.
Bluetooth with aptX®
If your phone supports Bluetooth with aptX, you'll be able to take advantage of the increased sonic fidelity by streaming your music files to the DNX892. aptX even makes your iPhone's AAC files purchased through iTunes sound more like CDs. You'll also get voice dialing support through most phones, and safe Siri Eyes Free dialing with compatible iPhones. A wired connection will also get you automatic pairing with any iPhone.
Miracast technology allows the DNX892 to "mirror" the screen of select Android and Windows® phones and tablets right on the receiver's display. You can stream videos and other content from your phone to the receiver when parked for pit-stop entertainment. Miracast works via Wi-Fi® wireless communication, so you'll need to add an optional Wi-Fi dongle to the receiver to take advantage of this cool feature.
Traffic reports from INRIX
With your DNX892 purchase, you'll get a free 2-year subscription to INRIX traffic service, which provides quick updates on congestion along your route. INRIX is only available through a free app, so you'll need to have your smartphone with the app on it connected to the receiver to take advantage of these traffic updates. INRIX updates require an in-app purchase after the 2-year subscription ends.
Built-in HD Radio™ tuner
The DNX892 also features an HD Radio tuner. You'll enjoy much-improved AM/FM sound quality when you're tuned into a local participating station, and there's no subscription required — just tune it in like a regular radio station.
Your media, your way
This receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files — including lossless FLAC files — while two A/V inputs offer connections for more audio/video sources. Dual rear USB ports let you source tunes from both your iPod and thumb drive without the hassle of switching them out. You also get an SD card slot for playing digital music files.
When you're parked, you can enjoy movies from DVDs or other video sources on the receiver's display. If you've got rear-seat or overhead monitors, your passengers can check out video content on them, and dual-zone output lets you listen to the radio or another non-disc audio source up front at the same time.
Sounds like a winner
Kenwood's Drive EQ+ technology boosts certain frequencies that are easily masked by wind and tires rolling on asphalt. It also enhances your music's bottom end as your speed increases, so you can really feel those tunes as you drive. You can also tweak the sound to your ears' content with a 13-band graphic equalizer and other soundshaping tools at your disposal.
Ready for satellite radio
Why struggle with stations fading away as you travel? You can hook up a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included) to this receiver and access the wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music satellite radio provides — and your favorite stations are always there. The DNX892 is compatible with newer SiriusXM features like TuneMix and SportsFlash, which give you even more customizable options for listening the way you want.
You can also connect up two cameras, so you can see more of what's around your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. The DNX892 adds adjustable parking lines for the rear-camera feed, to help guide you. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your car's factory extras
If your vehicle comes with factory add-ons like Ford SYNC®, GM OnStar®, Chrysler Uconnect™, or Volkswagen Bluetooth, you don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the DNX892 offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
- For Ford SYNC systems, you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions;
- For GM vehicles, you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar, if present;
- Chrysler owners, you'll get to keep all your Uconnect functionality;
- VW owners: you'll keep your factory Bluetooth amplifier and fader, plus the use of the factory media device interface.
The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Kenwood's screen.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our articles about Bluetooth profiles and streaming music using Bluetooth with aptX.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD player with 6.95" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth with aptX for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 48kHz/16-bit) from your flash drive or SD card
- variable illumination color for keys
- built-in iPod,iPhone, and iPad control (see Details for model compatibility)
- Pandora and iHeartRadio app control via Kenwood KCPA-IP102 cable, Apple dock connector cable, or KCA-IP103 cable (limited control available via Bluetooth connection)
- Kenwood KCA-IP202 cable required for full access to audio/video content from older Apple devices
- Kenwood KCA-HD100 cable and Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter required for viewing video content from Lightning devices
- Siri Eyes Free control with iPhone 4s and newer
- built-in Android control
- Pandora and iHeartRadio app control via Bluetooth connection
- Kenwood Music Control app control via USB connection
- Kenwood KCA-MH100 cable or KCA-HD100 cable required for viewing video content from compatible Android devices
- compatible with Miracast wireless mirroring technology for select Android and Windows devices (optional Wi-Fi dongle required)
- built-in Garmin navigation system
- maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- optional traffic reports available through INRIX smartphone app 2-year subscription included with purchase (smartphone required)
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB memory devices, and SD cards (see Details for full capabilities)
- Drive EQ+ boosts low end and other frequencies to overcome road noise
- 13-band graphic EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- digital time alignment, space enhancer, sound realizer, sound elevation, bass boost, and loudness
- dual-zone A/V output
- supports rear-view camera adjustable parking lines (optional camera required)
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports new Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: HDMI input, two rear USB inputs, SD card slot, two rear A/V inputs, two camera inputs (front, rear
- outputs: rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- microSD card input for map updates
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro to retain factory settings for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN navigation receiver w/ 6.95" monitor (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Camera/Video-out harness
- Reverse/Brake harness
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive base
- Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
- "Caution for Smartphone Users" note
Works great and looks beautiful. There was some learning curve as it added functions to our vehicle that were not there before.
Randy B, cape coral, FL
Kenwood Excelon DNX892 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||7.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.95" Motorized Touchscreen Display (w/ Flick Scrolling): The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 features a motorized 6.95" widescreen (16:9) touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with easy-to-identify icons, making menu navigation easy. You can scroll screen lists by simply flicking the screen up/down, or scroll screen pages by simply flicking the screen right/left. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
- Aspect Ratio & Picture Adjustment: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal). You can also adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Top Menu & Background Images: The Top Menu screen (main menu) features 3 pages of source & settings icons. The first page consists of 3 large icons and 4 smaller icons which can be accessed directly, while the second page consists of 10 small icons, and the third page consists of two small icons. You can customize the Top Menu by rearranging the icons and moving the icons you use most to the front page. You can even download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Clock Display: The navigation receiver offers a 12-hour clock which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Menu button turns the unit off completely.
- Split Screen AV Control: The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the head unit's touchscreen monitor into two screens, with navigation on the left and a control window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function, the head unit can now display the navigation map screen and basic playback controls for the source screens (or rear-view camera) simultaneously.
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within 4-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, album artwork, and the navigation on-screen map.
Start-Up Time: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has start-up time of approximately 23.7 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 31.3 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). You can save up to 3 custom color presets. The Kenwood logo remains red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Remote Control: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood navigation head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light (red) on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
2-DIN Chassis: The DNX892 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Garmin Navigation: With built-in Garmin & HERE navigation software and map data, the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 features on-screen maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The built-in maps include over 6-million Points of Interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, attractions, parking, airports, ATMs, and more. The built-in navigation software provides you with calculated on-screen routes and audible directions to follow in order to reach your destination safely.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the DNX892 will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be downloaded as required, via a USB mass storage device. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options. The included GPS antenna features a self-adhesive base and an attached 11.5' cable which plugs into the back of the head unit. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted inside the vehicle on the dash. The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive pad measures 2.5625" square.
- Acquisition Time: 26 seconds (cold)
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Accuracy: <2.5 meters continuous (Position), 0.1 meter/sec (Velocity)
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 27.1 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It only took 10.1 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
INRIX Traffic: You can receive INRIX traffic information and weather forecast through the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 by connecting your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) or Android (OS 4.0.3+) smartphone with "Kenwood's Traffic Powered By INRIX" application (from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store) installed. While the DNX892 is in navigation mode, it pulls real-time data from the INRIX Traffic app on your smartphone which provides you with up-to-the-minute traffic, weather, parking, traffic cameras, and travel advisory information on-screen. You get 2 years free access to INRIX traffic information (fees will apply after 2nd year). Your iPhone must be connected via USB, while your Android smartphone must be connected via Bluetooth to the Kenwood navigation receiver.
On-Screen Map: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns. Your route is marked with a magenta line. A checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the DNX892 guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The upper-left corner of the screen indicates the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, your arrival time is displayed in the lower left corner, your current speed is shown in the lower right corner. The posted speed limit for most major roads is displayed near the lower right corner as well. The unit allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touchscreen during navigation.
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, station wagon, sports car, compact car, SUV, jeep, RV, or sled) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-35) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit offers English, French, and Spanish voice prompts.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNX892 will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Lane Assist w/ Junction View: Lane assist with junction view guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate. It realistically displays road signs and junctions on your route along with arrows that indicate the proper lane for navigation. As you navigate your route, the unit will provide detailed diagrams of the proper lane to travel when maneuvering a complex interchange. The Junction View page will display what the actual approaching junction looks like, and arrows indicating the lane in which you should be driving.
Exit Services + Speed Limit Icon: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature. A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posed speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
Destination & Location Screens: The DNX892 offers a variety of destination/location screens & functions to help you along your route.
- Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
- Where To? Screen: The "Where To?" screen provides several
different ways to enter your destination. The navigation system
automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also
choose to have the DNX892 search for places in a different city, a recent
destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your
- Browse Map: Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.
- Go Home: You can store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.
- Address/Cities/Intersections: Input your destination address by house number, street, city, and zip-code. You can also search for a city by name or search two intersecting streets.
- POI Category: The detailed maps loaded in this navigation system contain locations, such as restaurants, hotels, parking, auto services, and other POIs (points-of-interest). You can use these categories to browse for nearby businesses and attractions.
- Favorites & Recents: You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later. You can also choose from one of your most recent destinations (up to 50) or waypoints.
- Coordinates Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
- Search Bar + Shortcuts: You can use the Search Bar to search for locations by entering a category, brand name, address, or city name. In addition, you can add up to 36 shortcuts to the Where to? menu. A shortcut can point to a location, a category, or a search tool.
- Where I've Been/Trip Log: The "Where I've Been" application allows you to view your previous routes and places you have stopped on the map. In addition, the device keeps a Trip Log, which is a record of the path you have traveled. The Travel History setting must be enabled in order for the Where I've Been and Trip Log features to function.
Route Preferences/Avoidances: When calculating a route, you can select the following preferences; faster time, shorter distance, less fuel, or off road. You can also program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route; such as U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads, and Ferries.
Auto Reroute/Detour: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNX892 might not calculate a detour.
Trip Planner (Multiple Destination Routing): You can create and save a trip with multiple destinations (up to 500 via points) using the Trip Planner. Once you have entered your destinations, you can manually set them in the order of your preference, or allow the device to calculate the most efficient route. Trip itineraries can be saved in memory for future use.
Trip Computer: The trip information page displays your current speed and direction, and provides helpful statistics about your trip. Dual trip odometers keep up with your total mileage. The page also indicates the distance and driving time to your next maneuver, as well as the distance and driving time to your destination. Your maximum speed and moving average speed are also displayed. The information can be reset in advance of your next trip.
Trends: The DNX892 has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Economy: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNX892 calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- At The Pump: At your next fill-up, you can enter in fuel price, amount of fuel used, and the distance you traveled to calculate your vehicle's miles-per-gallon (MPG).
- ecoChallenge Tool: The ecoChallenge tool helps you
maximize your fuel economy by scoring your driving habits. The higher your
overall score for a driving challenge, the more fuel you could save. You
overall score is the average of these 3 scores:
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles.
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving when the vehicle's parking brake is disengaged. You will need to engage the vehicle's parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
Travel Tools: The DNX892 offers tools you can use as you travel. The World Clock allows you to display the current time for four locations throughout the world. You can also display a map of the world showing which portions are in daylight and which are in darkness. The Unit Converter helps you convert distance, speed, area, currency, temperature, volume, and weight. A Calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood Excelon DNX892. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The The touchscreen controls of the DNX892 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (0-99 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNX892, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 30 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 3 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DNX892. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ aptX): The Kenwood DNX892 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC or aptX lossless music streaming.
- Stored Music & Music Apps: You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DNX892 for playback.
- AAC & aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DNX892 offers support for AAC and aptX codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple & Android devices. By supporting AAC, the DNX892 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. aptX audio coding technology provides even better sound quality with lossless, CD-quality streaming for compatible aptX-compatible smartphones, like many Android smartphones with OS 4.0+.
- Basic Playback Control: You can use the front-panel controls of the DNX892 to operate basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music & music apps; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat (not compatible with all apps). Advanced music control of your stored music and music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DNX892 and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood Excelon DNX892; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
iPod Audio/Video Playback: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input or HDMI input. The DNX892 offers audio/video playback of connected Apple iPod/iPhone models (video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park).
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Kenwood Excelon DNX892. Using Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps (like Netflix) on your iPod/iPhone through the Kenwood DNX892. If you only desire audio playback, you can use Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DNX892.
- Lightning Connector: IIf you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DNX892 for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Kenwood DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the Kenwood DNX892, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
Note: You will need to select which type of connection method you are using in the head unit's setup menu.
iPod/iPhone Control: In addition to audio/video playback, the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 supports control, song/artist information display, and battery charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order). You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DNX892 will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. Pandora and iHeart Radio will also display metadata information. Other music apps will only display song/artist information in Apps mode.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apps Mode for iPhone & Android (via HDMI): Apps mode allows the Kenwood head unit to mirror the display of your HDMI-connected & Bluetooth-paired iPhone (iOS 7+) or MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.1+) device. You'll be able to listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your iPhone or Android smartphone through the Kenwood receiver. Mirroring of your mobile device does not require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged, but control over your device may require that the parking brake is set (this will depend on your type of device and selected app). Mirroring of your device will not always appear in full-screen on the Kenwood unit's touchscreen display.
- Smartphone Connectivity: Connection method is based on
your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android).
- iPhone: If you have a newer iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable; if you have an older 30-pin iPhone 4/4S, you'll need a 30-pin digital AV adapter and Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (all sold separately). In addition, for both types of iPhones, you will need a a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. The Bluetooth connection allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit.
- Android Smartphone: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect select MHL-compatible Android smartphones to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as Kenwood's KCA-MH100 cable (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing and installation of the Kenwood Smartphone Control App from Google Play onto your smartphone. The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery, while the Bluetooth connection is also needed for touchscreen control. Compatible Android smartphones include Samsung Galaxy *S3/S4/S5, *Samsung Galaxy Note II/III/IV, Sony Xperia Z/Z1/ZR/ZL, LG Optimusand HTC One Max (all with OS 4.1+). *The listed Samsung phones require an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). Check here for a list of all compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
- Operation & Controls: The extent of operation and control will
depend on what type of smartphone you are using and if you have your
vehicle's parking brake on or off.
- iPhone Control: Your iPhone lets you access its stored music and video library from the head unit's touchscreen with advance search and playback control when connected via HDMI. Apps Mode also provides basic playback control (Pay/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track) of select music and video apps from the head unit's touchscreen. These operations can all be done with or without your vehicle's parking brake engaged.
- Android Control: You can control your Android device from the head unit's touchscreen similar to how you would from the smartphone, as long as your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. Specific apps on your Android phone like Waze Navigation, TuneIn Radio, & Kenwood Music Control can be controlled from the Kenwood receiver without the parking brake engaged. These specific apps will show up on the head unit's touchscreen as large icons for easy selection.
Note: Access to your iPhone and Android smartphone 's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Android and Apple iOS apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
Optional Miracast Dongle (for Android): Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Kenwood DNX892's touchscreen LCD (requires Kenwood's KCA-WL100 Miracast dongle; sold separately). This allows the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 to wirelessly mirror your compatible Android smartphone just like the HDMI hardwire connection. The KCA-WL100 Mircast module plugs directly into the head unit's HDMI input.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 11/5/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps Mode||Pandora||iHeart||Aupeo||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNX892 to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: The DNX892's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info, Album Art, & Multicasting: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Internet Radio Apps: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 allows you to access Pandora, iHeartRadio, Aupeo! online music services through your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected iPhone (5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Blueooth-connected Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone can be connected to the DNX892 via the Kenwood KCA-iP102/103 cable (sold separately), the cable supplied with your iPhone, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support be paired via Bluetooth or connected via HDMI+Bluetooth to the Kenwood Excelon DNX892. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The free Pandora App (from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station or genre list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Auto: The free iHeartRadio Auto app for Kenwood (from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (2.2+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The DNX892 will provide control over the iHeartRadio Auto app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
- Aupeo! Internet Radio: You can listen to music from the Aupeo! online radio service through the Kenwood Excelon DNX892 by downloading the Aupeo! app (form Apple's App Store or Google Play) onto your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (4.0+). From the Kenwood receiver, you can search for stations by Category, "Love" or "Ban" songs, Play/Pause music, or Skip to the next song. Song/artist information and Album Art will be displayed on the head unit's touchscreen LCD.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220S XV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search + Direct Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category. You can also tune directly to a station or channel by entering the desired frequency or channel number.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, & Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Presets + Smart Favorites: Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets can be identified as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel. TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from your preset stations from your current preset band, allowing you to build a custom channel from a few as two to as many a 6 music channels.
- Content, Traffic, Weather, & Sports: When a broadcast program related to the registered artist, song, team, or city starts, a message appears to allow you to switch the current channel to the relevant channels. You can also tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. In addition, you can be alerted when your
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892's touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs. The DNX892 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
- Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
SD Card Slot: The navigation head unit is fitted with a SD card slot hidden behind the unit's motorized touchscreen monitor. The SD card slot supports both SD memory cards and SDHC memory cards (up to 32GB). The unit supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, Flac audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible SD/SDHC memory card. The DNX892 also supports video playback of MPEG1/2/4, H.264, MKV, and WMV video files from an inserted SD/SDHC memory card.
Dual USB Ports: The Kenwood DNX892 features two rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A ports; each USB port is attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 39" cable. Both USB ports can be used for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrives. The USB ports enable playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DNX892 also supports video playback of MPEG1/2/4, H.264, MKV, and WMV video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support newer MTP and AOA enabled Android smartphones including HoneyComb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, and newer.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, saved on a SD card, or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||Flash (USB MSC or SD/SDHC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48 kHz
to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
H.264: 352 x 240, 352 x 288, 720 x 480, 720 x 576 (8.0Mbps)
WMV/MKV: 640 x 480 (2. Mbps)
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc, microSD/SDHC, or USB device.
Highlight Control (DVD Playback): During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Search Functions (for USB & SD/SDHC): The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 offers unique search functions for USB & SD/SDHC playback.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Picture Search: The unit will display up to eight thumbnails of still-images to choose from. The selected thumbnail will become a full screen image.
- Album Artwork: You can search music files by selecting the Album Artwork. You can even create an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums by selecting album artwork.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
Excelon Series: The DNX892 navigation receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage 5V preouts, plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 100dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNX892 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs: The DNX892 features front, rear and subwoofer 5.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Sound Excellence DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes & locations, listening distances, and x-over points.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the Delay Time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Listening Position + Digital Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Speaker Location: You can set the location of your vehicle's Front and Rear speakers. The Front speakers can be set to Door, On Dash, or Under Dash. The Rear speakers can be set to Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- Speaker Size: You can select the speaker size for your Front and Rear speakers, as well as your subwoofer. The Front and Rear speakers can be set to OEM, 3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10". The Subwoofer can be set to 6.5", 8", 10", 12", or 15"+. Select None if you have no Rear speaker or sub.
- X'Over: The head unit features independent Front & Rear high-pass crossovers, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover. The Front & Rear high-pass crossovers and Subwoofer low-pass crossover can be set to 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or select Full-Range).
- Tweeter Gain: Adjusts the tweeter level.
- Sub Control: You can adjust the subwoofer output's Phase (0° or 180°) and Level (-50to +10dB).
Note: You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
Equalizer: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 offers 10 preset EQ for easy adjustment, a 13-band EQ for greater customization, and a Drive EQ to overcome road noise.
- Preset EQ: The DNX892 offers 10 preset EQs for easy adjustment. You can select from Flat, Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Powerful, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types within your iPod), or User (customized 13-band EQ).
- 13-Band EQ: The User mode's 13-band graphic equalizer provides fine-tuning. It consists of 62.5Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 6.3kHz, & 16kHz frequencies which can be adjusted from -9 to +9dB.
- Drive EQ: Drive EQ+ boosts specific frequencies in the audio signal to compensate the negative impact of road noise. The bass is enhanced according to the vehicle speed to compensate for the loss due to noise from the road.
Note: Separate EQ settings and EQ presets are stored for each source (Disc, Tuner, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Music Enhancement: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression, as well as enhance the sound by virtually manipulating the soundscape.
- Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 1, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Elevation: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level. You can also virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers; the Elevation Level can be set to High, Low, or Off.
Volume Level & Bass Management: The navigation receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DNX892 also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DNX892 features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 13-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Key Beep: The in-dash navigation head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
A/V Input: The Kenwood Excelon DNX892 navigation receiver is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm audio/video input. The AV input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod (using proprietary Kenwood cable). The optional Kenwood AV cable (113CAC3AV, sold separately) provides composite video/stereo RCA audio inputs.
HDMI/MHL Input: The In addition to Apps mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Note: You will need to unscrew the HDMI bracket on the back of receiver before plugging in your HDMI cable; the bracket needs to be re-attached once your HDMI cable is connected.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system; you can also route the audio of the the dual zone source to the head unit's rear speakers. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, AV-1, USB, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Note: Different sources from iPod/iPhone cannot be set as front and rear sources independently. Only one iPod/iPhone source can be set as front and rear sources. Apps mode and the HDMI/MHL input are not available to the second zone.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (within 4-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 seconds.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer.
- Multi-View Camera (optional): By connecting the Kenwood CMOS-320 Universal Multi-View Camera (113CMOS320, sold separately) to the DNX892, you gain the capability of cycling through five different multi-views right from the touchscreen. You can also toggle between front & rear cameras when using two CMOS-320 simultaneously (second camera must be connected to the head unit's rear-panel AV-1 input.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, and select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier. The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). In some installations, the iDatalink Maestero RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestor RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
2nd zone output to rear speakers was important.... vs most others that seem to only output to a headphone out. [ jason Feb 22, 2016 ]
always a kenwood fan looks like a nice high end unit with good specs [ Richard Feb 08, 2016 ]
I replaced the OEM receiver in my Porsche Boxster with this unit to add navigation and backup camera option to my car. [ Gregory Feb 04, 2016 ]
Reviews of others using the product [ James Jan 11, 2016 ]
I had already purchased this unit from you,recommended by another of your customers,Terry [ Brian Jan 07, 2016 ]
14 questions already asked
its a transparent tn lcd panel with a tft active matrix system , touch panel works fine even wearing gloves harder to see in bright sunlight but not the same display design like your cell phone hope this helps [ BRUCE Feb 05, 2016 ]
It is not a true capacitive touchscreen, but they really did a good job on the touchscreen! You can use a stylus on it, your fingernails, or whatever, it is sensitive enough to respond well, and not overly sensitive, if that makes sense. [ JEFFREY P Feb 05, 2016 ]
Yes! [ JOHN Feb 05, 2016 ]
I would avoid this stereo! There's huge lag when you use Bluetooth and Pandora. When you want to skip a song it takes about ten seconds to respond to you pressing the button to skip. The user interface is pretty out dated, honestly I thought that I was sold an outdated model but I wasn't. There are much better units out there than this one. [ Ephraim Feb 05, 2016 ]
Yes [ JOSE Feb 05, 2016 ]
It's Garmin. [ John Jan 18, 2016 ]
Garmin [ gregory Jan 16, 2016 ]
It uses a Garmin system [ Robert Jan 16, 2016 ]
Garmin [ DOMINGO Jan 16, 2016 ]
Garmin [ KERRY Jan 16, 2016 ]
Garmin based GPS [ Travis Jan 16, 2016 ]
Garmin, you can also use your smartphone by connecting via hdmi and use whatever your phone has. [ James Jan 16, 2016 ]
Yes it is [ gregory Jan 16, 2016 ]
Yes [ ROYCE Jan 16, 2016 ]
Yes, it is compatible with most all Android phones. [ Travis Jan 16, 2016 ]
Pretty sure but I have an iPhone, go on Kenwoods site and look up part no. [ James Jan 16, 2016 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny Dec 30, 2015 ] Staff
No [ DOMINGO Nov 18, 2015 ]
1 answer i'm interested in this unit but do not want the bluetooth mic sitting on the steering wheel column like so many do - I'd like to put it either over the rearview mirror or down near the actual unit itself. Has anyone done that? Pictures? Also - do you feel that it looks "factory" once the install is complete?? [ p Nov 05, 2015 ]
We have a jeep wrangler that has uconnect, so my Bluetooth works through the original oem microphone. In my pickup truck they said the could mount is anywhere the wire would reach. I have only had the DNX892 for one day, but so far I like the workings and the looks of the unit. My pickup has the Trucker series Kenwood and we use it all the time for camping and have rarely found it to be off. The sound in both units is great. Hope this is helpful. [ Randolph Nov 08, 2015 ]
It as well as the DVD/CD slot are located behind the touch screen which tilts out for access. [ Cort Nov 04, 2015 ]
It is located behind the display. You get to it by pressing the eject button for the disc, then press the top of the display frame to make it slide down the track in the front of the head unit. This will make the display almost completely perpendicular to its normal position, facing up. The display will stay in it's track, but will reveal the SD card slot. Usually pressing the eject button will completely close the unit, but sometimes it will need a little help to get started. [ JEFFREY P Nov 03, 2015 ]
There is no simple, built-in way to do this; however, I have changed my splash screen. It was a little tricky getting the DNX892 into OEM mode due to difficulty holding the buttons and pushing a pin into the reset button but it is possible. If you want to change splash screeen bad enough to go to a little trouble, search for DNX892 OEM Splash Screen on kenwoodforums. I tried to post the link but this app refused to accept it and said not to post links. [ Danny Oct 24, 2015 ]
1. find an image you want and save it on your desk top 2. download GIMP (free on-line) 3. in GIMP go to FILE then CREATE 4. place the image into GIMP 5. click on IMAGE then click on SCALE IMAGE to set it to 800x480 6. save the image 7. click on FILE then EXPORT 8. change file type from whatever it originally was to .BMP (this section is in lower left hand corner) 9. a small box will appear..click on ADVANCED OPTIONS 10. set to 16 bit and RGB setting of 565 11. click on IMAGE and IMAGE PROPERTIES to check that you properly scaled it to 800x480 (sometimes it would automatically set it to something different) 12. click EXPORT.the image will return to your desktop as a .BMP 13. find a clean USB thumb drive with nothing else on it.open it up and place file on drive 14. go to car.turn on unit.hold down DOWN VOLUME button and MENU button and QUICKLY (using end of paperclip) hit the red reset button on left 15. continue to hold down buttons.unit will cycle off then reboot.once the OEM SCREEN/KENWOOD SCREEN appears let go 16. touch OEM SCREEN box and plug in USB.the picture will appear in a small box.press pic box 17. you will see the file name and a box ENTER.hit ENTER.if the file begins writing you are set..if it says error you did something wrong 18.hit red reset with paperclip.unit will reboot and your pic will appear as new splash screen The DNX892 requires different keystroke to get in. 1-Power unit on and wait to get to home screen. 2-Hold down "Menu", "Home" and "Tel" buttons simultaneously until the unit turns off and then quickly press and release the red triangle. 3-Continue to hold down the 3 buttons until they light up then release. At this point you will see the 2 options for changing the start/splash screen, first one is the Kenwood logo and the second option is the OEM logo. [ YOSEF Oct 22, 2015 ]
I haven't tried it but page 101 of the online manual shows you can download images to a usb stick and then go to the display menu screen 2 touch standby 3 then touch memory square this is all done but have the usb stick installed first, select the image from the memory stick then touch enter [ BRUCE Oct 21, 2015 ]
Unfortunately the DNX892 does not have a built in mute button. However, if you car has steering wheel buttons, you can utilize the steering wheel volume controls for that ability. For my setup, I utilized the MaestroRr steering wheel controls, and programmed the volume down as a dual function (when pressed/ tapped it lowers volume and when held it enables mute on the DNX892). Hopefully this helps with your decision. [ Andrae Oct 19, 2015 ]
The remote sold separately, has an attenuation button. [ RICHARD Oct 19, 2015 ]
Not sure would like to know myself. A mute button! [ ROBERT E Oct 18, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: There are a lot of models from 2014 for the dodge ram. There will be a ton of potential combination of speakers, but as a blanket answer I would recommend Kicker. Kicker has the best bottom end response of any manufacturer we sell for the best potential for deeper bass, and are extremely efficient so they will sound awesome with Kenwood power. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Sep 28, 2015 ] Staff
I did not use the navigation system yet everything else on the radio the phone everything works perfect very good radio or I guess I'm going to have to try to navigate but everywhere I went to forward a navigation and it works well I hope by voice command now I didn't try that yet [ Cajun Jul 13, 2015 ]
I would return it. don't even notice my fan noise even when it's on. [ James Jun 23, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jun 22, 2015 ] Staff
When in app Mirroring Mode You are in that source, only the audio from that app will play but if your device that you're using allows you to play music in the backgroud it will come through. Bluetooth Audio while plugged into USB yes but you need to be in the blutooth source to play blutooth. [ RORRICK Jun 15, 2015 ]
I installed this head unit myself with the help of crutchfield customer service. [ steven May 11, 2015 ]
No, I had it installed by a local big box retailer. [ David May 11, 2015 ]
I installed it myself, if that's what you're asking but I am not a professional installer. [ Charles May 10, 2015 ]
Yes [ Trey May 10, 2015 ]
Sure! [ Robert May 10, 2015 ]
Yes, install was relatively easy. Soldered the maestro wire harness to the main harness on the kenwood before doing the rest. [ James May 10, 2015 ]