SIRIUS Sportster Replay
Plug-and-play satellite radio with car accessories
Our take on the SIRIUS Sportster Replay by Crutchfield's Matt Freeman
Sports fans, the SIRIUS Sportster Replay plug-and-play satellite radio was made just for you. Like all plug-and-play radios, it's easy to transport from place to place (with the help of accessories), so you can listen to SIRIUS at home, in the car on the way to the game, and at the tailgate party. And besides its delivery of all SIRIUS programming, it has some great features that'll enhance coverage of your favorite teams.
SIRIUS broadcasts every NFL game all season long. To make sure you stay on top of all the action, you can program Sportster Replay's Game Alert function to let you know when your favorite NFL team is about to take the field. You can even choose whether you want to listen to the home or away announcers. There's also a scrolling ticker that lets you follow the scores in the rest of the league.
Here's a feature you'll love: the Replay automatically records the last 44 minutes of the channel you're listening to. Want your own replay of a dramatic touchdown? Just hit rewind. You can also pause live action, which is perfect for those times when that pesky cell phone rings while your team is driving to score late in the fourth quarter you won't miss any of the action. The 44-minute memory is cleared every time you change the channel or turn the Sportster off.
The Replay also has a Jump button on the front panel that lets you skip directly to a single station you've saved. If you're driving to a game in one of the 20 metropolitan areas covered by SIRIUS, you can jump right to your local traffic and weather channel to get traffic updates. A built-in alarm clock can help make sure you get up for the game on time.
This package includes the car accessories you'll need to play the radio over your vehicle's in-dash stereo. The docking station, which holds the Replay in your car, features a suction-cup mount that'll attach to any reasonably flat glass surface. A DC power (cigarette lighter) adapter and a roof-mount antenna round out the package.
The Sportster Replay also has a built-in FM transmitter so you can broadcast straight to your vehicle's FM stereo you won't have to make a wired connection. A remote control is also included, so your passengers can switch channels while you drive. You can also get the home kit, which includes a SIRIUS home antenna, docking station, and power supply it allows you to transfer the Sportster Replay between your car and your home stereos and only pay one subscription. You can get extra car kits for convenient multi-car use, and a portable boombox is also available.
Note: A subscription to SIRIUS is also required. Satellite radio service is available only within the lower 48 states not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Limited service is available in Alaska.
- package includes compact plug-and-play SIRIUS radio, remote control, and car accessories
- internal memory continually stores the last 44 minutes of the channel you're listening to
- built-in FM transmitter
- 6-line display
- 30 channel presets/20-song memory (alerts you when one of the songs is playing on SIRIUS)
- Game Alert lets you know when your favorite team is playing
- search by category, channel, artist, or song title
- docking station with suction-cup mount
- DC power adapter
- roof-mount antenna with magnetic base and 20-1/2' cable
- SIRIUS subscription required for operation
- dimensions: 4-9/16"W x 3-1/8"H x 1-9/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- SP-R2 SIRIUS Satellite Radio Receiver
- Wireless remote control
- 1 CR2025 Lithium battery
- SP-C2 Docking cradle
- SIRIUS antenna with attached 20.5' micro cable (has an SMB connector)
- Suction cup mount
- Cigarette lighter power adapter with attached 6.25' straight cord (2A fuse installed)
- 4.75" Self-adhesive antenna tail
- Four 5/16" machine screws (each screw has 1 lock washer and 1 flat washer)
- One 3/8" machine screw
- 1 Surface Preparation Cleaning Kit
- 1 Silica gel packet
- SP-R2 Satellite Radio Receiver User Guide
- SP-C2 Mobile Docking Station Installation Guide
- Optional FM Transmitter Antenna installation instructions
- SIRIUS channel information card
- Docking station and antenna note
- Sportster Boom Box note
I love the Sportster. I like its style and performance. The recording and pausing capability is just great. I also got the boombox so I can listen in my car and at home. Can't wait until Howard Stern start in January 2006.
Jim, LA, California
SIRIUS Sportster Replay Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Built-in FM Transmitter||Yes|
Car Antenna |
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
SIRIUS Satellite Radio: SIRIUS Satellite Radio features more than 120 channels of original programming beamed coast-to-coast, including 65 channels of commercial-free, digital-quality music, and news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Note: Satellite radio service is available only within the continental United States. Service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii.
Display: The SP-R2 tuner has a large backlit LCD screen. You can choose between two ways to present the artist and song title information on the LCD screen. The Default screen displays the artist and song title on separate lines. Pressing the Display button will increase the character size to its maximum, put artist and song title information on the same line, and continuously scroll them across the screen. The channel name, number, category, preset band/number, and time of day are always displayed.
Display Adjustments: You can manually adjust the display's contrast and dimming controls for best viewing. The Auto Dimmer option allows the unit to use ambient light to automatically sense and determine the proper display intensity for the current lighting conditions.
Category Tuning: The Category buttons allow you to cycle through the available genres of programming: Pop, Rock, Country, Hip-Hop, R&B/Urban, Dance/Electronic, Jazz/Standards, Classical, Latin/World, News, Sports and Entertainment. Once the category has been selected, you can choose the channels from that category using the rotary knob.
Preset Tuning: The tuner allows you to store 30 presets in 3 separate banks (A, B, and C). Preset channels can be tuned directly by selecting a preset band and pressing the preset number on the numeric keypad (unit or remote). You can also activate the preset tune mode in which the rotary knob scrolls through only the preset channels.
Jump: The Jump key is programmed to access a specific channel, regardless of which preset bank is currently selected.
Direct Tuning: Using the direct and numeric buttons on the supplied remote, you can directly access SIRIUS channels by their 3-digit channel numbers.
Skip/Add: You can select seldom-tuned channels to be "skipped", if desired. This prevents the channel from being accessed during any of the tuning modes (except direct tuning). A skipped channel can be re-added using the same menu.
Channel Lock: You can lock a channel, making it only available by direct tuning. When a locked channel is tuned directly, you will need to enter a 4-digit code before the channel can be heard.
Instant Replay: The receiver is capable of storing the audio from the current channel for later playback. Up to 44 minutes can be stored and accessed later. As soon as you tune to a channel, the receiver automatically begins storing the audio. Once the audio is stored, you can perform the following functions: play, pause, fast forward, and rewind.
Memory and Song Seek Functions: This feature allows you to capture and store the program data information (artist and song title). You can store program data information for up to 20 songs. The tuner will monitor the current incoming SIRIUS signals and alert you if any match the program data information stored in memory.
Antenna Aiming: You can check the strength of the SIRIUS satellite signal being received. When locating the antenna in your home, you should place the antenna in a spot that illuminates the maximum number of bars on the meter.
Audio Output Level: You can adjust the level of the audio output to match the other sources in your audio system. You can choose from 10 output levels.
FM Transmitter: The built-in modulator has 100 frequency options. This feature allows you transmit SIRIUS radio programming to your vehicle's FM tuner, so you don't have to make any connections between the SIRIUS receiver and the radio.
Game Alert: When your favorite NFL team is playing on a different channel, Game Alert will notify you.
Time-Based Functions: The tuner has a built-in clock with the time data provided by the SIRIUS channel. The clock options can be set for 12-hour or 24-hour operation, time zone, and observance of Daylight Saving Time. Once the clock data is set, you can activate the following functions:
- Alarm Clock: The built-in alarm clock can be set to turn on the unit at a specific time.
- Program Alert: The Program Alert function allows you to program the unit to turn on and switch to a selected channel at a specific time.
- Auto Shutdown: The unit can be set to automatically turn off after a one-hour period without any user intervention, after 59 minutes of inactivity, a beep-tone sounds and a display prompt appears on the screen allowing you the option of canceling auto shutdown.
- Sleep Mode: The receiver can be set to turn off after a selected period of time, 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes.
Factory Default: To revert back to all the original receiver settings at once, activate the factory default screen.
Remote Control: In addition to offering all the controls on the receiver's front panel, the remote adds direct tuning, audio mute, and volume control. The remote has the following dimensions: L=4.148", W=1.609", H=0.727".
Receiver Front Panel:
- Power: turns the receiver on or off
- Memo: captures and stores the current program data information
- Band: cycles through the three channel preset banks
- Menu: accesses the menu options (user setup menu)
- Display: changes display options
- Category (Up/Down): advances to the next category group or preset memory bank
- Number Keys (1-0): select preset directly
- Rotary Knob and Select Button: rotary knob allows you to scroll through the various lists and menu options, the select button allows you to choose the current selection
- Rewind: used to rewind through a broadcast saved to Instant Replay
- Play/Pause: pauses and replays live or time-shifted content from the currently tuned channel
- Fast Forward: used to fast forward through a broadcast saved to Instant Replay
Receiver Rear Panel:
- Docking Station Interface Connection: proprietary connector that interfaces with the vehicle docking station or home docking station
Color Option: The manual incorrectly states that you can choose the color of the backlight and button illumination. The backlight and button illumination is blue and cannot be adjusted.
Overview: The SP-C2 car kit includes everything you need to install the SIRIUS Sportster tuner into your vehicle. The kit contains the docking cradle, mounting bracket, DC power supply (cigarette lighter), roof-mount antenna, and mounting hardware. The SIRIUS tuner mounts firmly in the cradle, where antenna, power and signal connections are made. The cradle's base is designed to mount securely to your windshield using the suction cup.
Antenna: The low-profile SIRIUS antenna has a powerful magnetic base that allows you to mount the antenna on the roof or trunk lid of your vehicle. The antenna needs to be positioned in such a way that it will be free of mechanical and line-of-sight obstructions. The antenna' s dimensions are: W=2.216", H=0.499", D=2.958" (7.225" including "tail"), Cable Length=20.5'.
Note: The attached micro cable has a single SMB connector, which plugs into the cradle.
Cradle: The SP-R2 tuner slides into the docking cradle and is locked into place. On the back of the cradle are inputs for the antenna and DC power supply, plus a line output (minijack) and an FM transmission antenna output (sub-minijack).
Mounting Base: Using the supplied base with attached suction cup, the cradle can be mounted to the windshield in your vehicle. The base has two adjustment points that allows you to adjust the tuner for optimum viewing.
Compatibility with Optional Pro-Fit Brackets: The car kit docking station is directly compatible with the Legend series (adjustable ball/socket joint) Pro-Fit Vehicle-Specific Mounts (VSMs). When used with the Pro-Fit easy swivel adapter (item number 042EZ1026), the docking station will work with the standard (fixed) Pro-Fit VSMs, as well. Please, check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector for a Pro-Fit VSM that's compatible with your vehicle.
Note: The Pro-Fit easy swivel adapter (item number 042EZ1026) must be used in conjunction with the standard (fixed) Pro-Fit mounts to provide clearance for the DC and Audio plugs on the back of the docking station.
- Receiver: W=4.559", H=3.095", D=1.513"
- Cradle: W=4.734", H=2.305", D=1.655"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.