Marantz Reference Series SA-14S1
Stereo SACD/CD player/DAC
Item # 642SA14S1 | MFR # SA14S1
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz Reference Series SA-14S1 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
A superb disc player and high-resolution DAC
If you're passionate about music, check out the Marantz SA-14S1. Marantz designed this Super Audio CD player for uncompromising, high-fidelity music reproduction. Like their other Reference Series components, it combines carefully tuned circuit designs, premium internal components, and precision craftsmanship to deliver high-quality stereo sound that's sure to please even the most discerning listener. Along with serving up unparalleled musical detail and clarity with your treasured CD and SACD collection, this multi-talented player also doubles as a high-quality, stand-alone DAC for your other digital music sources. It can even play the latest computer-based high-res linear PCM and DSD (direct stream digital) music files.
Designed and built for the audio connoisseur
This player's hefty chassis and double-layered bottom plate with die-cast aluminum footers create an incredibly stable platform for the custom center-mounted disc tray, virtually eliminating vibrations that can interfere with the laser's tracking and ensuring reliable playback. A beefy toroidal power supply delivers a constant stream of clean current. The SA-14S1's low-noise LCD display emits no radiation into the audio signal path. The high-purity, gold-plated copper RCA stereo outputs are widely spaced so you can easily connect high-quality patch cords. And when using the analog connections, you can disable the digital outputs so there's no chance of stray emissions impacting the analog circuitry. The ear-pleasing end result is lively, true-to-life reproduction of all your favorite tunes.
A sophisticated digital-to-analog converter handles the fine detail contained on high-resolution SACDs and music files. It can even help you rediscover some of the forgotten gems in your standard CD collection by revealing subtle nuances that you may never have noticed. The SA-14S1 can also play home-burned CDs and those loaded with MP3 and WMA files, so you'll enjoy clear, precise sound from every disc in your library.
Versatile connections for your digital music sources
The versatile SA-14S1 provides multiple digital audio inputs to play your digital source components through its built-in high quality DAC:
- A coaxial digital input is ideal for connecting a Blu-ray or DVD player, Sonos® Connect, or any other digital audio component with coax out, and taking advantage of the SA-14S1's high-performance processor for better sound.
- The optical digital input is ready to take on a set-top box, HDTV, game console, or other digital source with optical digital output, and feed a high-quality audio signal into your stereo system.
- A Type B USB jack feeds digital audio from your computer into the SA-14S1's onboard digital-to-analog converter, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much clearer sound with stored music files and Internet radio.
- A Type A USB jack accepts direct digital signal from an iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®, bypassing their built-in DAC and analog audio output circuitry for superior sound through your headphones or home audio system.
- stereo playback for SACDs, audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs (including MP3 and WMA discs)
- front-panel USB input (type A) for USB flash drive, iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®
- rear-panel asynchronous USB input (type B) for audio playback of stored computer or streaming music files, including high-res files up to 24-bit/192 kHz PCM and 1-bit/2.8224 MHz DSD
- Windows® PCs require free driver download from Marantz website prior to computer audio playback
- high-current, audiophile-quality Burr Brown DSD1972A digital-to-analog converter
- USB-B "Ground/Signal" isolator for reduced noise and high-quality sound from connected computers
- custom center-mounted optical drive mechanism for accurate disc readout
- HDAM® SA2 discrete-circuit op-amps for greater accuracy and musicality
- selectable digital filters for fine-tuning sound
- toroidal transformer wound with oxygen-free copper
- rigid chassis with double-layered bottom plate and die-cast aluminum chassis feet
- stereo RCA outputs
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs for use in DAC mode
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for CD
- full-size headphone output with volume control
- high-quality headphone amplifier featuring HDAM SA2 and HDAM full discrete op-amp output
- SACD specs:
- frequency response: 2-50,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 109 dB
- dynamic range: 109 dB
- CD specs:
- frequency response: 2-20,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- dynamic range: 100 dB
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- weight: 32 lbs
- 17-5/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 18-1/8"D
- warranty: 5 years parts and labor (3 years parts for optical mechanism)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Super Audio CD player
- Wireless remote (RC001PMSA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- 5' Stereo RCA cable
- 29" Mono-RCA cable
- Owner's Manual
- US Limited Warranty
- Canada Limited Warranty
Bought to replace my old oppo. In a word awesome
Pete, La Salle , Il
Marantz Reference Series SA-14S1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
Single Disc |
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years [3 yrs. optical]|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years [3 yrs. optical]|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||2-50k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||109 dB|
|SACD THD||0.0009 %|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
Quality Construction: The Marantz SA-14S1 SACD player employs a rugged chassis that features Marantz's latest center mount disc drive mechanism, mounted onto its own sub-chassis to minimize vibrations. The disc tray is constructed of highly rigid glass fiber reinforced plastic composite for operational stability and reliability. The SA-14S1's power supply features a large high current toroidal power transformer that features OFC (oxygen free copper) secondary windings, along with high speed, high current Shottky Barrier Diodes in the rectifier stage for the purest DC voltage output.
Disc Compatibility: The Marantz SA-14S1 Super Audio CD player can play single layer Super Audio CDs, dual layer Super Audio CDs, Hybrid-layer Super Audio CDs, and conventional audio CDs. The player also supports playback of MP3 (32-320kbps/32-48kHz) and WMA(48-192kbps/32-48kHz) music files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/2, Juliet, or Romeo format. The unit will recognize up to 1,000 files and 255 folders. Both 12cm and 8cm discs are compatible.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Encoding: The Super Audio CD standard is based on Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology. The DSD format is a 1-bit system that has a digital sampling frequency 64 times that of conventional audio CD, 2,822,400 samples per second. The result is spectacular: a frequency response of over 100k Hz and a 120 dB dynamic range over the entire audible spectrum. Mixed with as many of the original frequencies as possible, the audio information audible for human ears sounds much more natural.
Note: The HD layer of a Super Audio CD can only be output via this player's analog RCA outputs.
Marantz HDAM Technology: Compared to other disc players that employ multiple op-amp ICs, the SA-14S1 features Marantz's exclusive HDAM technology that employs dedicated modules featuring discrete components that together deliver wide dynamic range and fast slew rate for true wideband response. The SA-14S1 incorporates HDAM and HDAM SA2 devices. These exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) technologies ensure top fidelity sound reproduction.
192kHz/24-bit DAC: In order to handle the widest range of disc and audio file types, the SA-14S1 incorporates a reference class Burr Brown DSD1972A digital-to-analog converter, which provides up to 192kHz/24-bit resolution, along with DSD decoding for Super Audio CDs. Two prevent interference between the various stages, the power supply, digital audio stage, and analog audio stages each feature their own individual circuit boards.
Analog + Digital Outputs: Along with the analog stereo RCA outputs, there are also optical and coaxial digital outputs for connection to an external digital AV receiver. In order to minimize noise from peripheral circuitry which could interfere with the analog audio signal, this unit is equipped with a peripheral circuitry off function which turns off the digital output circuit, the display, and the illumination lamp.
Reference Quality DAC w/ Digital Inputs: The SA-14S1 SACD player does double duty as a reference quality DAC and is equipped with several digital inputs to accept a wide variety of formats.
- Front-Panel USB Port: The front-panel USB (type-A) port lets you connect your portable USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread only), portable digital audio players, or thumbdrives. The player supports MP3 (32-320kbps; 32-48kHz), WMA (48-320kbps; 32-48kHz), AAC (64-192kbps; 32-48kHz), and Linear PCM (16-bit; 32-48kHz) music files loaded onto a compatible USB mass storage class device formatted in FAT16/FAT32. The unit will recognize up to 65,535 files and 700 folders. Song/artist/album information (ID3-/WMA-/AAC-tags) is supported. The unit's USB port will also charge your connected device.
- Computer Connection: There's also a USB (type-B) port on the rear-panel which is compatible with asynchronous data streams from your Windows (XP/Vista/7/8) PC running Windows Media Player or Mac (OSX 10.6.4+) computer running iTunes. This USB computer connection supports a wide range of digital audio formats, including up to 192kHz/24-bit. Before music files saved on your computer can be played on this unit, a dedicated driver must be downloaded from the Marantz website, and installed on your computer.
- Optical/Coaxial Inputs: In addition, there are coaxial and optical digital input ports for connection to other digital audio sources. The coaxial and optical digital inputs support Linear PCM signals from 32kHz to 192kHz (Dolby Digital/DTS signals are not supported).
Apple iPod/iPhone Certified: The Marantz SACD Player supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the SACD player, bypassing the Apple device's D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the included remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone/iPad will display on the player's front-panel LCD. The unit's USB port will also charge your Apple device. Compatible Apple devices and functions as of 11/6/2013:
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dedicated Headphone Output: Connect your favorite set of headphones directly to the convenient front-panel 1/4" headphone jack, which also features its own variable volume control. The headphone circuit is designed to be compatible with the widest range of headphone types, and is compatible with lower impedance headphones as well.
Filter Switching: Switching between two types of filter characteristics is possible during playback in the Super Audio CD and CD/DAC modes, allowing you to enjoy different sound-shaping of your music.
Fluorescent Display: The deluxe low noise fluorescent display features clear, easy to read alphanumeric characters and is compatible with CD Text encoded music discs. There's a display control button on the remote control that lets you dim the display or even turn it off if you wish.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control features an intuitive ergonomic layout, and is equipped with amplifier control functions that let you use a single remote control to operate the SA-14S1 SACD player and the matching PM-14S1 reference class integrated stereo amplifier (642PM14S1, sold separately). Two RCA jacks (1 in/1 out) are provided for connecting this player and another Marantz A/V component for system remote control purposes. The accompanying switch allows you to select the remote control mode you desire: External (when the player is connected to another component's remote control jacks) or Internal (when the player is used as a standalone component).
Auto Standby: The SACD player will automatically enter standby mode when there is no input signal for approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I wanted a very high quality CD player. [ CRAIG W Apr 09, 2018 ]
Quality, features, and reputation. [ Philip Aug 24, 2016 ]
Great product and reputable dealer [ Bruce S. Jan 23, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
The Marantz Reference Series SA-14S1 is designed primarily for playback of your CD and SACD (Super Audio CD) collection. If you're looking for something that supports FLAC playback from a portable device, we have other products better suited for that purpose. Please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat for recommendation(s) or to discuss further. Thanks! :) [ Larry Nov 16, 2017 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny Apr 08, 2016 ] Staff
Unfortunately we do not have this item in silver, in fact we only have 1 left in stock for the black. [ Kenny Jan 01, 2016 ] Staff
No FLAC via the front USB port where the unit itself plays files from Flash drives. FLAC should be possible via the rear Async USB port where you connect a computer to feed the SA-14S1's DAC. In that case media player software on the computer is responsible for decoding the stored audio file format. Check out Foobar2000, JRiver and many others. [ David Apr 28, 2015 ]