B&O PLAY Beoplay A6 by Bang & Olufsen
Powered speaker with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® (Oxidized Brass)
Item # 906A6OXBRS | MFR # 1200287
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the B&O PLAY Beoplay A6 by Bang & Olufsen by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The Beoplay A6 sophisticated Euro-styling fits with most any decor.
Plays well with others
Bang & Olufsen packed their eye-catching A6 speaker with useful wireless technology. It's compatible with Bluetooth, plus several kinds of Wi-Fi streaming, including Spotify® Connect, Apple® AirPlay®, Chromecast built-in, and DLNA. So your entertainment options are virtually limitless. And the A6 can be part of a Beoplay multi-room audio system for even more convenient listening possibilities.
The convex shape of the slender Beoplay A6 positions its five built-in speakers to create a wide and immersive soundfield. A pair of 3/4" tweeters deliver clean, clear highs, and a 1-1/2" full-range driver helps flesh out the midrange. Two 5-1/2" woofers — one rear-firing — add rich bass. Each driver is powered by a Class D amplifier for accurate sound reproduction. And Bang & Olufsen's True360 sound technology creates an omnidirectional soundfield. No matter where you are in relation to the A6, you'll enjoy the same rich, well-balanced sound.
Built-in Bluetooth 4.0 lets you stream high-quality sound from your smartphone or tablet. Built-in Wi-Fi® connects the Beoplay A6 to your home network and the internet.
Own an iPhone®, iPad®, Apple Watch® or Mac®? The A6 has built-in Apple AirPlay®. You can even use your Apple Watch to control the system.
Prefer your Android™ smartphone, tablet, or PC? Use DLNA for advanced streaming options. And the speaker has Spotify Connect built-in for use with both Apple and Android devices.
Versatile multi-room audio
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay gear uses ChromeCast to create a multi-room wireless audio network. Download the free Beoplay control app from either the Apple App Store or Google Play to start. The app lets you remotely control your A6, as well other Beoplay speakers in your home.
The app has Deezer built in for additional music choices, plus TuneIn so you can enjoy internet radio stations from around the world. You can have all your Beoplay speakers play the same song throughout your home, or have each speaker play a different song from a different source — or any combination in between.
The Beoplay A6 features an aluminum body for added stability and vibration dampening. The exterior has touch-sensitive controls — simply tap it to turn it on.
- built-in Bluetooth 4.0 for high-quality streaming from smartphones and tablets
- Spotify Connect built-in
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod, or computer's iTunes®
- DLNA for streaming from Android™ smartphone, tablets, and compatible PCs
- Google Chromecast built-in
- True360 sound technology creates an omnidirectional soundfield
- two 3/4" tweeters, one 1-1/2" full-range driver, and two 5-1/2" woofers for low frequencies
- each speaker powered by its own Class D amplifier for accurate sound
- total system power: 240 watts
- frequency response: 35-20,000 Hz
- touch-sensitive controls
- Beoplay App:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- Apple Watch® app control
- Deezer music streaming service built-in
- TuneIn internet radio built-in
- control multiple A6 speakers and compatible Beoplay speakers to play the same song simultaneously or different songs in different rooms
- customizable speaker and group names
- displays current song and artist information
- Live Search to find radio stations playing specific song or artist
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to your home network
- stereo minijack input for portable devices
- USB port for software updates
- custom designer fabric covering
- requires AC power, power cable included
- 21-1/8"W x 11-13/16"H x 5-11/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- 58" AC power cord
- Connection cover (pre-installed)
- Quick Start Guide
B&O PLAY Beoplay A6 by Bang & Olufsen Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
BeoPlay A6: The B&O BeoPlay A6 is a wireless powered speaker that can function as a standalone speaker system or be connected to other BeoPlay speakers (sold separately) across multiple rooms. It offers Band & Olufsen's signature sound with wireless connectivity for Chromecast, AirPlay, DLNA, and Bluetooth.
Stereo Speaker Configuration: The B&O BeoPlay A6 features a stereo speaker configuration with two 0.75" tweeters powered x a 30W x 2ch class-D amplifier and two 5.5" woofers powered by a 60W x 2ch class-D amplifier. A fifth, backwards-firing speaker maximizes spaciousness of the sound, no matter where you are in the room. To optimize the sound performance of the BeoPlay A6, you can indicate the placement of the A6 in your room. This is controlled manually on a switch placed on the back of the speaker. Choose from 3 predefined settings - Wall, Free, or Corner.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The BeoPlay A6 provides wired and wireless connectivity to your home network. It has a RJ-45 Ethernet jack for its wired connection and features built-in WiFi for a wireless connection. The built-in WiFi supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz (a/b/g/n) networks.
BeoPlay App: The BeoPlay App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 5.0+) lets you configure and control the BeoPlay speaker system from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. It offers wireless network setup, access to your music and select music apps, multiroom control, and EQ settings.
- Network Setup: You wirelessly connect the BeoPlay speaker system to your home network and WiFi router via the BeoPlay app on your smartphone or tablet device.
- Music Playback: The BeoPlay App aggregates music stored on your
mobile device, your DLNA content, select music services and Internet radio
into one interface. All this content can be streamed to the BeoPlay speaker
system via a WiFi wireless network connection. The BeoMusic App will provide
you with a quick overview and swift control of what is currently playing,
regardless of source.
- Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly see, select and stream to the speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify Connect will stream crystal-clear lossless audio over WiFi to the BeoPlay speaker system. Once Spotify Connect is selected on the the BeoPlay app, it will take you to the Spotify app for control.
- TuneIn: With more than 70,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is an online Internet Radio service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.
- Deezer: Enjoy full integration with the Deezer music streaming service. Use the app to navigate and search over 35 million tracks, access your playlists and add new songs to your favorites with just one click.
- Multiroom: From the app you can unite multiple BeoPlay
speaker systems (sold separately) to play different music sources from
within in different rooms, or let one tune flow throughout your home. You
get a quick and simple overview of the music in every room and can control
it from wherever you are with the BeoMusic App on your compatible mobile
- Compatible Sources: Compatible sources include the stored music library on Apple iOS or Android device, select online music services (Deezer & TuneIn), Bluetooth, AirPlay and Aux.
- Compatible Speakers: Multiroom compatible speakers include the BeoPlay M3, A6, A6, and A9 (all sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- EQ: The BeoPlay app also offer Position Optimization Settings to maximize the quality of sound depending if the speaker is placed in a corner, by a wall, or in free space.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you instantly stream select music apps from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the BeoPlay A6 speaker system. Unlike Bluetooth, Chromecast Built-in works over WiFi so you can connect more than one device to the A6 speaker system at a time and control what's playing from anywhere in the house on your mobile device. Because the music apps are streamed from the cloud, you get crystal clear sound and your mobile device's battery won't drain as fast compared to Bluetooth.
- Supported Content: Chromecast Built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Google Play Music, and more. You can even mirror exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet to the BeoPlay A6 speaker. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the BeoPlay A6 speaker. You can even adjust the volume or change the song, right from your mobile device. And with Chromecast built-in, you can keep using your phone to send texts, answer calls, and scroll through social media without disturbing your music.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The BeoPlay A6 & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast Built-in is a cloud based function and requires that the BeoPlay A6 and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device are on the same wireless network, and have access to the Internet.
DLNA: The BeoPlay A6 is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files (MP3, AAC, FLAC, & WAV) stored on your Windows PC or DLNA-certified NAS drive connected to your home network. Use the BeoMusic app on your Apple iOS or Android device to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. DLNA works with multiroom distrubtion through the BeoPlay app.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) or from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the BeoPlay A6 speaker system, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the speaker or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. AirPlay can be enabled to work with mulitroom distribution throug the BeoPlay app.
Note: AirPlay requires that the A6 and your Apple iOS device or computer are on the same wireless network.
Bluetooth 4.0: The BeoPlay A6 offers built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop and more to the BeoPlay A6 speaker system. Basic playback control, such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track can be done from the speaker's top-panel controls. The speaker can pair with up to 8 devices, but only one device can be used for playback at a time. Once paired, the A6 will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33'). Bluetooth can also be distributed to multiple BeoPlay speakers (sold separately) that support multiroom distribution through the BeoPlay app.
Aux Input: The BeoPlay A6 is fitted with a 3.5mm auxiliary input for connection an analog audio device with an analog output or headphone jack. The Aux input even supports multiroom distribution using the BeoPlay app.
Woven Wool Crafted Grille: The BeoPlay A6's fabric grille is produced by renowned Danish textile manufacturer, Kvadrat. All Kvadrat products are made from premium-quality materials and are expertly crafted. The grille is made from woven wool and is carefully designed to enhance acoustics.
Carry Handle: An integrated carry handle lets you move the speaker from room to room, though it is not battery powered and requires an AC power outlet connection.
Power Requirements: The BeoPlay A6 wireless audio speaker system comes with a 58" detachable AC power cord which must be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: The BeoPlay A6 is not battery powered.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.