JVC Arsenal KD-AR565
Our take on the JVC Arsenal KD-AR565 by Crutchfield's Dave Delamere
Enter the Arsenal line
JVC's KD-AR565 CD receiver, the entry model in their Arsenal line, includes a variable color display, a USB port for connecting your Android™ smartphone or a USB flash drive, and an equalizer with 12 presets. Simple controls let you easily dig into your music collection, while its built-in amp generates serious power to upgrade your factory sound. And JVC backs up this versatile receiver with its 2-year Arsenal warranty.
Several audio and display options
Choose your look with the KD-AR565's variable color display.
Using the receiver's built-in AOA (Android Open Accessory 2.0), you can also play and control select Android phones connected to the receiver's front-panel USB input. Music Drive allows you to connect a memory card reader or USB hub and select music from up to five memory cards or USB flash drives that hold your favorite MP3, WMA, and WAV music files. In addition to playing your favorite CDs, you can also hook up just about any portable audio player using the KD-AR565's front aux input.
Whether it's day or night, the text display makes it easy to read song and system info. You can choose from a seemingly unlimited variety of colors and brightness settings for both the buttons and the display, so this JVC will look right at home in your dash.
Sound tuning that goes beyond factory stereos
JVC offers three bands of equalization with adjustable center points so you can fine-tune your music, as well as 12 EQ presets for easy adjustments on the fly. Digital Track Expander juices up the sound of compressed music files, and you can add more kick to any source with the loudness switch and bass boost. And if you need it even louder, the two sets of preamp outputs make it easier to add an amp and a powered subwoofer to really bump up the volume.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with variable color button illumination
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
- compatible with USB flash drives loaded with MP3, WMA, and WAV music files
- Android Open Accessory (AOA) 2.0 enables control and charging of select Android devices (Android version 4.1 and higher) using the USB connection
- music file playback from select Android devices through USB with JVC Music Control app
- wireless remote control
- Digital Track Expander enhances compressed music files
- Pro EQ 3-band parametric equalizer with twelve preset tone settings
- loudness and bass boost
- low-pass filter
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front USB port (no iPod/iPhone compatibility) and front aux input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Warranty Information
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
For the price, this unit cannot be beat.
Justin r, Ohio
JVC Arsenal KD-AR565 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Android Connectivity: The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565's front-panel USB port lets you connect your Android smartphone for music playback. JVC does not guarantee operation with all Android devices. There are 4 type of connection methods based on your type of Android smartphone, what content you want to listen to, and how you want to control it.
- Newer Android Smartphones (OS 4.1+):
- Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0): The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone to the KD-AR565's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the JVC head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Audio Mode" will show up on display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- JVC Music Play App: Downloading the JVC Music Play app onto your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone not only allows you to listen to stored music from your Android device through the JVC CD receiver connected via USB, but it also lets you browse your Android smartphone's music library from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can browse your store music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. You can also control Play/Pause and Previous/Next track from the head unit. In addition, the head unit will display song/artist information. You can exit the JVC Music Play app to access other functions and applications of your Android smartphone, while your stored music library is still playing through your head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- Older Android Smartphones (Froyo 2.2 or Gingerbread 2.3):
- Mass Storage Class (MSC): If you own an older Android smartphone which is running the Froyo 2.2 or Gingerbread 2.3 operating system, then the JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 head unit will recognize your USB-connected Android device as a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, similar to a USB thumbdrive. You'll be able to scroll through music folders and music files, as well as operate basic playback like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track from the head unit's front-panel controls; advanced music navigation is not supported. The head unit will also display song/artist information in this mode. You cannot access music apps in this mode.
- JVC Music Control App: By downloading the free JVC Music Control onto your older Android smartphone (Froyo 2.2/Gingerbread 2.3), you'll be able to browse your stored music by artist name or album name. The JVC Music Control app also analyzes all of your songs that are in your Android smartphone, and creates a playlist according to your mood. Once the application has completed the analysis of the songs, simply select your current mood, and this application will generate a list of songs that best fits your mood. You cannot access music apps in this mode.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3 & WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 20 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust. The source will change to CD, and the disc will begin playback, even if you have another source selected at the time.
Note: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
Front-Panel USB Port: The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-out cover. The USB port enables connection of select USB thumbdrives and select Android smartphones (see Android section above). You can insert a USB thumbdrive into the head unit's USB port for playback of a variety MP3/WMA/WAV of music files stored on the USB mass storage class device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Music Drive: When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone (like Android with Froyo/Gingerbread OS) is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Music Drive features lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback. The Music Drive feature also lets you switch between multiple memory cards (up to 5) in a USB multi-card reader or multiple USB thumbdrives (up to 5) connected to a USB hub.
- JVC Playlist Creator:
JVC Playlist Creator is a free Windows-based desktop software that helps
organize, manage and transfer MP3/WMA music files to your USB (MSC) device
from your Windows PC (XP/Vista/7). When you playback audio files that have
been stored on your USB (MSC) device using JVC Playlist Creator through the
KD-AR565, you can search a file by song title, album name, artist name, or
genre using the head unit's Quick Search function. The JVC Playlist Creator
is a Windows-based software that can be downloaded for free from JVC's
website to your PC.
Note: The head unit's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
Compatible Music Files: The JVC KD-AR565 supports the following types of MP3, WMA, WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs or loaded onto a USB thumbdrive or other USB mass storage class devices.
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, or Windows long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
WAV (USB only): bit rate of 8- or 16-bit
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 offers a variety of playback and search functions to help you find and enjoy your music on disc and USB.
- Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of MP3/WMA folders and tracks on a loaded CD or USB device, so you can easily access your music.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current disc at random), Off (cancels random function)
- Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
MOSFET Amplifier: The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KD-AR565 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Note: When you are using the KD-AR565 with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 50.
Pro EQ: The KD-AR565 is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 12 preset sound modes (Flat, Hard Rock, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Talk, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Classical, Dance, User 1, and User 2) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||Fixed|
Note: You can store EQ Pro bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, Aux, USB, and Android).
2.5V/2CH Preamp Output: The KD-AR565 is equipped with two 2.5V preamp outputs (Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can also adjust the subwoofer phase between 180° (reverse) or 0° (normal). In addition, you can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Audio Enhancements: The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 offers the following audio adjustments to enhance your music listening experience.
- Digital Track Expander: The digital Track Expander automatically enhances compressed music files and restores the original richness of the recording.
- Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level.
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -5 to +5.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KD-AR565 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- Radio Timer: The head unit's Radio Timer features lets you tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source (you can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off).
Note: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Detachable Face: The JVC Arsenal series KD-AR565 features a detachable face to deter theft. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Single-Line LCD: The head unit features a 12-segment, one-line LCD with white back-lit text, plus adjustable brightness and dimmer settings.
- Brightness: The unit offers a daytime and nighttime brightness settings for the LCD and button illumination. You can adjust the brightness level of each manually from 0-31.
- Dimmer: The unit's dimmer control can be set automatically or manually; select "Off" for daytime brightness setting, "On" for nighttime brightness setting, or "Auto" which switches between day and nighttime brightness setting automatically when you turn off/on the headlights (orange/white wire of harness must be connected to headlamp circuit). You can also set a specific time for the "Off" and "On" setting to be activated.
Variable Button Illumination: The JVC KD-AR565 features variable button illumination, so you can better match your vehicle's interior lightning. You can choose one of 29 color presets or select the ColorFlow mode which scrolls through all 29 color presets. Additionally, there is a User preset, allowing you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue from 0 to 31; resulting in approximately 30,000 custom color options. You can also select a different color for daytime and nighttime in regards to the unit's button illumination.
Day & Time: The unit displays a 12-or 24-hour clock, as well as the day (Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat). The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or start position).
Wireless Remote Control: The KD-AR565 comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Power, Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Bluetooth: The JVC KS-BTA100 Bluetooth Adapter (105KSTBA10, sold separately) provides hands-free communication and wireless audio streaming functions for the KD-AR565. The KS-BTA100 Bluetooth adapter plugs into the head unit's front-panel Aux input. The JVC Bluetooth Adapter includes a super-sensitive microphone, an Answer/End button, and playback controls.
Note: Not all Bluetooth devices will be compatible. Click here for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
turn demo off in the settings [ guy Aug 08, 2015 ]
Press the setup button and scroll thru the options untill you get to colors then select the option you want. [ David Aug 08, 2015 ]
Press and hold DISP-SETUP, turn volume knob until it says COLOR. Press the knob to select "COLOR". Turn the knob to change "COLOR" to desired setting. [ Aaron Aug 08, 2015 ]
If u press and hold the button directly to the right of the volume knob that says "DISP" on it, that should bring up what is basically the menu starting with "eq settings." using the volume knob scroll right thru the list until you get to the 4th option-"color." then push the volume knob down(towards the radio) to select this option. It will then say "preset" on the screen. To choose a preset color, which there are plenty of, push the volume knob down again to select this option and scroll through the various color choices using the volume knob left or right. Once decided on a color, press down on the volume knob to select that color. To go back and choose different color choices such as day color, night color, and menu color, simply press the back (has a magnifying glass symbol on it) button located above the "DISP" button u pressed earlier. The process is the same for each option here too. To exit completely and go back to home screen just keep pressing that back button next to volume and it will eventually get u there after a couple of clicks. Simple as that. Now remember it will only actually store the settings you just made if you have the memory/constant wire connected behind the dash (I believe it's the yellow one). It's as simple as that. Good luck hope this helps. [ Brandon Aug 07, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Unfortunately the KD-AR565l does only have one set of pre-amp outputs. It is an Arsenal unit, and has the standard 2-year warranty for Arsenal products If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 01, 2015 ] Staff
My kd-ar565 unable to read usb or cd whenever i turn off my engine n start...i have to turn off the unit n try getting the usb or ejecting my cd. [ Andy Mar 08, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Feb 05, 2015 ] Staff