SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)
Our take on the Sony VPL-VW695ES by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
With a dynamic contrast ratio of 350,000:1, every scene springs to life.
Taking 4K picture quality even higher
Compared to the more basic VPL-VW295ES, the VPL-VW695ES boosts brightness and contrast to produce a picture with more depth and pop. That's an advantage for most any video source, but it's especially beneficial when watching HDR-enhanced content.
The VPL-VW695ES improves upon the features and technologies of its predecessor, the VPL-VW675ES, and still costs thousands less!
4K with HDR goes beyond the movie theater experience
The VPL-VW695ES is based on the same 4K Digital Cinema SXRD™ technology used in Sony's pro projectors. But even the $40,000 projectors at your local cineplex don't include HDR (High Dynamic Range). HDR significantly expands the picture contrast range with both deeper blacks and brighter highlights.
Sony's Advanced Iris dynamic iris helps this projector excel at reproducing the dramatic contrasts swings of HDR-enhanced content. The iris opens and closes instantly, precisely controlling light output on a scene-by-scene basis. The projector's 350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio can optimize both dark and bright scenes, to produce deep black levels with incredible detail.
There's lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the VPL-VW695ES has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images of projector systems, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
4K is made for large screens
The VPL-VW695ES's 4K Ultra HD projection system has four times the detail of 1080p.
4K's improved picture detail is certainly visible on typical TV-sized screens, but Ultra HD really comes into its own on larger screens. When you're projecting onto a screen that's 100", 120" or even larger, the enhanced clarity and sense of depth and texture create an immersive viewing experience.
The amount of 4K content out there continues to grow, but this projector doesn't need 4K video to thrill. Sony has some of the best video processing available in a consumer projector. One of its biggest strengths is upscaling HD content to 4K. Sony calls this advanced processor Reality Creation, and it's based on years of experience upscaling movies to 4K in thousands of theaters worldwide.
Go with the Motionflow™
The larger the image, the more challenging it is to maintain a smooth, clear picture during fast-paced onscreen action. Sony's Motionflow is one of the most sophisticated and refined blur-reduction technologies available, and the VPL-VW695ES has a version with some unique capabilities.
Several presets, ranging from aggressive to mild, make it easy to reduce motion blur and judder without introducing the unnatural looking "soap opera effect." Some of the most effective modes make use of "dark frame insertion," which avoids the image artifacts created by motion compensation processing, but also reduces light output by about 25%. So, if your setup requires the projector's maximum light output, you may want to select one of the other Motionflow options.
Flexible setup for rooms large and small
Professional installation is a popular choice for projectors in this price range, but Sony designed the VPL-VW695ES for easy setup. It features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony recommends a maximum screen size of 300", or 150" if you want to use the 3D feature. You'll also get amazing results with screens sized 100" or less.
And because Sony's super-quiet cooling fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, you won't be distracted by fan noise in smaller rooms. Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on, you'll be tempted to leave them as-is. But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources.
For the best picture quality from any projector, we recommend using a projector screen.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR 10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 3 SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- Picture Position Memory makes it easy to watch movies in the ideal aspect ratio, including Cinemascope, without an anamorphic lens
- recommended image size: 60" to 300"
- light output: 1800 ANSI lumens
- Advanced Iris dynamic iris for outstanding picture contrast and black levels
- 350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Reality Creation upscaling sharpens high-definition video sources to near-4K quality
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit processing enables over one billion colors
- Motionflow™ frame interpolation for improved motion clarity, even on 4K sources
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (active 3D glasses sold separately)
- reduced input lag shortens response time for better video game performance
- 2.1X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- 2 HDMI 2.0b
- Ethernet port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB input for firmware updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- two 12V trigger outputs for controlling a motorized screen or other device
- detachable power cord
- 280-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 6000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 19-1/2"W x 7-7/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
Features and Specs
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-6000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1800white/1800color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||No|
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Sony's finest home theater projector has a high-performance, maintenance-free laser light source.
The Sony VPL-VW995ES offers these features:
Z-Phosphor laser light source delivers ultra-pure light and lasts up to 20,000 hours
4K ARC-F lens minimizes distortion and ensures precision and detail in all areas of the image
higher light output: 2200 lumens
Dynamic Laser control and Advanced Iris deliver superb image quality, with deeper blacks and brighter highlights
Frequently Compared With
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)$9,999.99
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)$4,999.99
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2017 model)$7,999.99
SXRD™ 4K laser home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)$34,999.99