Wireless powered speaker with Google Assistant, Chromecast built-in, and Bluetooth® (White)
Our take on the Sony LF-S50G by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
A wireless kitchen aide — and so much more
“OK, this one's going in the kitchen.” That's what I said when I got the Sony LF-S50G home to try out. Built-in Google Assistant voice commands meant I didn't have to touch it with sticky hands while making bread. I just told the speaker what to play. And the 'S50G's simple gesture control meant I could adjust volume, even while the sound of garbage disposal made voice commands impossible.
The speaker's compact, splash-proof design let me place it close to the sink. And I could even remove the speaker's grille and wash it if things got a little messy. Oh — and it had great sound, too.
The LF-S50G achieves its spacious, 360° sound in a unique fashion. One 2-1/16" driver and one 1-7/8" driver face each other, with a two-stand diffuser between them. This blends the sound and spreads it out in all directions. A bass reflex port reinforces the low register for even stronger sound.
Google Assistant for the win
The LF-S50G has Google Assistant built in. You can tell it to play a favorite song, give you the weather, and more. Google Assistant also gives you easy voice control over compatible smart home devices from Wemo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and others.
Music options galore
Stream music over your Wi-Fi® network through the LF-S50G from services such as Spotify®, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio.
The S50G also has Bluetooth 4.2, so you can stream near-CD quality music directly from your phone or tablet with any audio app you choose.
Multi-room audio? Yes, please!
You can also make the LF-S50G part of a wireless whole-house audio system using your Wi-Fi network and other Chromecast built-in speakers. Setup is simple with the Google Home app. And once you've grouped your speakers, you can control them with voice commands.
Other cool features
Indicator lights let you know when the S50G is listening. And the mic on/off button on the base lets you decide when you want the speaker to listen. I didn't have to ask the LG-S50G the time — there's a four-digit clock display right on the front, behind the grille. Placing the LF-S50G on our bedroom nightstand was my second choice.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The S50G is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- one 2-1/16" driver and one 1-7/8" driver
- built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for streaming near-CD-quality music from your smartphone or tablet
- dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz)
- built-in voice control via Google Assistant
- stay in the know about weather, traffic, finance, sports, and more
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- Google Home app
- available from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with other Chromecast built-in wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio (subscription required for some services)
- control compatible smart home devices
- removable washable grille
- IPX3-rated splash-resistant (when grille is in place)
- digital clock display
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ phones
- AC adapter
- 4-5/16"W x 6-7/16"H x 4-7/16"D
- weight: 1.65 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 5' DC cord)
- Operating Instructions
- Reference Guide
- Voice Commands card
- End User Agreement
- Warranty Information
Love Sony+Google... brilliant concept! Sounds great, looks sleek and modern, and love waking up to the music I choose, all setup by voice. Very cool!
Eric, Bentonville, AR
Sony LF-S50G Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
360° Omni-Directional Sound: The Sony LF-S50G wireless speaker's 360° omni-directional design lets you hear the same great sound from anywhere in the room. Enjoy clear sound and rich bass in every corner of the room thanks to a two-way facing driver design, two-stage diffuser, bass reflex duct, and 18W (Peak) amplifier.
- Two-Way Facing Drivers: The two drivers face outwards in the center of the speaker for maximum sound coverage.
- Two-Stage Diffuser: A diffuser spreads sound throughout the room in every direction, for wall-to-wall audio.
- Bass Reflex Duct: Immerse yourself in bass with the bass reflex duct, which controls resonance speed and frequency.
Splash Proof (IPX3): The Sony LF-S50G wireless speaker can handle a little water, thanks to an IPX3-rated splash proof design. You can even take the cover off and rinse it under the tap. IPX3 enables water splashing against the device from a vertical angle of 60° for a maximum of 5 minutes.
- The LF-S50G is not water proof and should never be submerged in water. It is also not marine certified and should not come in contact with salt water.
- When the speaker grill is removed from the speaker, the speaker does not meet the IPX3 water resistant specifications.
Dual Band WiFi: To enjoy Chromecast Built-In & Google Assistant, you will need to connect the Sony LF-S50G to your wireless home network. The LF-S50G is equipped with dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) for a high-performance wireless network connection.
Google Home App: Use the Google Home App for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.0.3+ to connect the Sony LF-S50G to your home's wireless WiFi network, as well as setup the Google Assistant & Chromecast Built-in from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You also get to configure compatible apps within the Google Home App, plus adjust other various settings.
Built-in Google Assistant: The Sony LF-S50G is powered by Google Assistant and features two integrated omni-directional micros. You can use a wide variety of voice commands to control the operation of the wireless speaker in conjunction with Google Assistant. Just say a voice command to the speaker. Then, the speaker will perform the Google Assistant activity associated with that particular voice command. By simply saying "Ok Google", the LF-S50G can help perform tasks like playing a favorite song or controlling smart home devices; checking the latest weather, traffic, and finance reports; as well as finding out the latest sports scores. Thanks to Google's robust search engine, the LF-S50G with Google Assistant is ready for all your questions and commands.
- Music & Radio: Use your voice to select, play, and control music from compatible Chromecast Built-In music services - like Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more.
- Home Entertainment Compatible: Using only your voice, you can initiate and control audio to any speaker, receiver, or TV with Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, or Chromecast built-in. You'll have access to Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume control of each compatible device.
- News, Weather & Sports: With the built-in Google Assistant, you can ask about top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Google Assistant, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using just your voice.
- Smart Home Automation: The Sony LF-S50G with Google Assistant lets you control devices (such as lights, outlets, switches, and thermostats) around your home from Google Home compatible smart home automation partners - like Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Belkin Wemo, Nest, Honeywell, and more. You can even create your own voice commands for the Google Assistant on your Apple iOS or Android device using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- Calendar & Events: Ask the Sony LF-S50G with Google Assistant about your day and hear the information you need without going online or opening your calendar. Also, use voice commands to set alarms and timers for things you need to do. Use Google Home and Google Calendar to get information about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar - using only your voice. Currently, you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google Account used to set up Google Home. You can't add events to your Google Calendar using your voice. You can even use Google Assistant and Gmail to get status updates on your upcoming flights.
- Alarms & Timers: Set, check, cancel, stop, and snooze multiple recurring alarms. Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice. Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry and to track other activities using the timer on Google Home. It's great for the kitchen, but can be used in the living room, bedroom, and more. Set, pause, check, resume, and cancel timers.
- Local Business & Shopping Info: With Google Assistant, you can search for local places and ask for important information, like hours of operation or addresses. Order everyday essentials & add items to your shopping list with your Google Assistant on Google Home.
- Get Answers: The LF-S50G's built-in Google Assistant helps you find answers for many of your daily questions through the Google search engine - including calculations, translations, unit conversions, nutrition, dictionary, finances, facts, and more.
- The Google Assistant has the ability to recognize up to six different users. So when you ask the Google Assistant for help, it can distinguish your voice from your spouse or kids, and you'll be able to hear your own personal playlists, your own commute time, your own schedule and more.
- You can turn off the built-in microphones to temporarily disable the capability to detect voice commands by pressing the MIC logo button.
- The Sony LF-S50G does not support Google hands-free calling.
- Click here for all the latest voice commands.
Chromecast Built-In: With Chromecast built-in, you can instantly stream select online music, radio, and podcast services from your Apple iOS or Android device to the Sony LF-S50G speaker. Chromecast Built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Supported music file types include - FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast Built-in lets you play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more (subscription fees may apply). Chromecast Built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Podcasts: With the Sony LF-S50G and Chromecast Built-in, you can listen to your favorite podcasts and shows. Currently, you can't request podcasts from partner podcast players - like Spotify, Google Play Music, and TuneIn.
- News, Weather & Sports: With Chromecast Built-in you'll get the latest news and weather from sources you trust. You can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Chromecast Built-in, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games.
- Android Music Library: Stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Sony LF-S50G. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device.
Multi-Room Audio: Group multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in together to enjoy the same song in every room through the Google Home App on your Apple iOS or Android device. Now, you can enjoy music streaming in high-resolution (up to 24-bit/96kHz) across all your Chromecast enabled speakers.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: In addition to streaming music over your wireless network through Chromecast Built-In, the Sony LF-S50G also offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You can stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the LF-S50G. Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track functions can be controlled using touch-free hand gestures. The speaker has a wireless range off approximately 33'.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Up to 8 devices can be paired with the LF-S50G, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the Linkback function allows connection to the last connected device by pressing the speaker's Bluetooth button.
- NFC (Near Field Communication): When you touch an NFC-compatible device, such as a smartphone, to the LF-S50G, the speaker automatically pairs and connects with the NFC-compatible device. NFC-compatible smartphones included Android 4.1 or later.
Note: The Sony LF-S50G does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication (HFP) for receiving and making phone calls.
Touch-Free Gesture Control: You can perform touch-free hand gestures over the gesture control sensor of the LF-S50G wireless speaker to control the operation of the speaker - including volume up/down, play/pause, and previous/next track. A touch-free hand gesture can be used to initiate Google Assistant without saying "Hey Google".
Auto Volume Control: Automated volume control adapts to noise in the room through the LF-S50G's built-in microphones, so you can always listen at a comfortable level (requires future firmware update - no eta).
Clock Display: With an LED clock display, you never need to ask Google for the time. You can dim or turn it off to minimize light in your room. The LF-S50G makes an excellent bedside alarm clock.
Hold Button: You can suspend all the sensor and button activities of the LF-S50G wireless speaker for 3 minutes by pressing and holding the "HOLD" button on the bottom of the speaker for 3 seconds or longer. To forcefully resume the activities, press and hold the "HOLD" button once again for 3 seconds or longer.
AC Power Adapter: The Sony LF-S50G comes with an AC power adapter (100V-240V, 50/60Hz) which will need to be plugged into the back of the wireless speaker and an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Note: The Sony LF-S50G is not battery powered.
Automatic Software Updates: Software updates will be automatically delivered from time to time when a new feature becomes available. These automatic software updates will be delivered over a WiFi network connection with Internet access. Such automatic software feature may not be disabled. Also, previous versions of the software cannot be retrievable. Do not turn off power of this unit while updating. The unit may not be operational while updating.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Good speaker, I'm hoping. On sale. Google assistant. Attractive appearance. Clock. [ MICHAEL Apr 05, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
For replacement parts, you can check out Sony's "ESupport" site: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-accessories.pl [ Ryan Jun 09, 2018 ] Staff