Monitor Audio Radius 90
Bookshelf speakers (Walnut)
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio Radius 90 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Room-filling sound from a tiny speaker
We couldn't believe our eyes when we first unpacked the Monitor Audio Radius R90 bookshelf speakers. They were downright beautiful, and almost impossibly small. But the real surprise came when we got our first listen. Despite their compact size, the sound they delivered was open, room-filling, and spacious, with true-to-life imaging and a big soundstage. We've heard our share of compact monitors here at Crutchfield, but it's not every day that we come across such impressive performers in such a tiny package. Use a pair of R90s to create a compact music system in your home office or living room, or mount four or more around your home theater room for a surround sound system with superb detail and clear dialogue.
Monitor Audio's secret sauce
The Radius R90 benefits from many of the technical advances, materials, and construction techniques found in Monitor's renowned, top-of-the-line Platinum series speakers. Both its 4" woofer cone and 1" dome tweeter are made of a high-tech ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy. This exceptionally stiff, lightweight material allows the drivers to respond swiftly and precisely to the audio signal for greater accuracy. The tweeter also gets an anodized coating of gold that helps ensure smooth, extended highs.
Whether you choose high-gloss black, white, or walnut veneer, Monitor Audio's R90 speakers look as fantastic as they sound.
Instead of using conventional screws, Monitor mounts each driver firmly into the cabinet using a single bolt that threads into its backplate, then attaches to the back of the enclosure. This mechanically decouples the driver and front baffle to enhance clarity and resolution, while acting as rigid cross bracing for a more solid, non-resonant cabinet. The lack of visible mounting hardware also adds to the R90's overall look of elegance.
Gorgeous build quality and design
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The R90's enclosure feels solid and substantial, with an exterior clad in a beautifully finished high-gloss black, white, or real walnut wood veneer.
- frequency response: 80-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 83 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 30-100 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 4" C-CAM mid/bass drivers for clear midrange and punchy bass
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for reduced turbulence and higher velocity airflow
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- five-way binding post speaker terminals
- 4-15/16"W x 7-13/16"H x 6-7/16"D
- weight: 4.6 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (installed)
- 8 Rubber feet
- Grille removal tool
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Needed small, attractive speakers to put on the mantle in my living room for the stereo system I have there. The boxy shape allows me to place them on their side. They have a beautiful walnut exterior. The sound is great.
Bob G, Oakton, VA
Monitor Audio Radius 90 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4|
|Frequency Response||80-35k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||31-36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Radius 90 bookshelf loudspeaker features a two-way speaker design with one 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and one 4" C-CAM cone woofer. The 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter is optimized to deliver the finest and widest performance within the compact speaker cabinet. It benefits from a more efficient rear-venting design, releasing air trapped and compressed at the back of the tweeter dome, and guiding it around the drive assembly to a rear-loading chamber. The 4" C-CAM woofer features a large motor and voice coil for increased excursion, high power capability and reduced distortion. The C-CAM tweeter and woofer share an audible consistency producing a smooth transition of frequencies and a sense of realism and cohesion in the soundstage.
C-CAM Technology: The 1" tweeter and 4" woofer of the Radius 90 bookshelf loudspeaker utilize Monitor Audio's proprietary C-CAM speaker technology.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with a single through-bolt driver fixing mount. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
HiVe II Bass Reflex Port: The Radius 90 uses a bass reflex cabinet with Monitor Audio's HiVe II port design for greater efficiency and bigger bass response from a smaller speaker. The HiVe II bass reflex port is shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Stylish Cabinet: The Monitor Audio Radius 90 features a beautiful precision cabinet in a gloss black, gloss white, or walnut veneer lacquer finishes. The cabinet's smooth rounded edges, silver trim, and metal mesh grille add to the style and look of the speaker.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Radius 90 is fitted with gold-plated binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting Options: Self adhesive rubber feet are provided to prevent movement due to vibration when using the Radius 90 loudspeakers on a table, shelf, or stand. And thanks to its rear-panel 1/4"-20 threaded insert, the Radius 90 can also be fixed to a wall using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately).
Note: Because the threaded insert and the binding-post terminals are positioned so close together, many optional wall-mount brackets will not fit.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Have had an earlier model and really like the sound. [ DONALD Nov 17, 2017 ]
Solid full sound for a small speaker. Look great on a book shelf. [ R Apr 28, 2016 ]
small, great reviews and will work in the room i need them in. [ Eduardo Apr 21, 2016 ]
Sound quality. [ M Nov 29, 2016 ]
Brand name and positive reviews [ Les Sep 01, 2016 ]
Small size, appearance, square shape, good specs and reviews. [ B Apr 18, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
Thanks for your question. For information on selecting the best amp I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences between the amp models and help you make the best choice for your system. [ Kenny Mar 08, 2017 ] Staff
They do not come with mounting hardware. [ John May 02, 2016 ]
They don't but they have a threaded insert on the back that's compatible with most wall mounts. The 225 center channel comes with a mounting bracket. [ James Apr 29, 2016 ]
No, it does not come with mounting hardware. But it accepts a standard mount with a 1/4 inch UNC thread. The Monitor Audio company makes a mount that looks especially good but it's not available through Crutchfield (I asked them.) [ B Apr 29, 2016 ]
These would be awesome surround speakers especially if they timbre match the rest of your speakers. Very detailed and can take a good amount of power for a fairly small speaker. Hope this helps. [ Thorston Feb 19, 2017 ]
Hi DocSteve - yes, I think the R90s will work well in that configuration. I have been really impressed with them as side mounted surrounds in a 5:1 system with matching monitor towers and center. [ Adam Feb 18, 2017 ]
They would be terrific! [ scott Feb 17, 2017 ]
These may be overkill for use as rear speakers. They are great for front side speakers, depending on size of room. Am using the smaller radius 45 for rear speakers and those are small but powerful enough for great rear surround sound. [ Rahul Feb 17, 2017 ]
these speakers are great. Use them for a medium sized stereo system at the lake and they sound marvelous. Would be very good for rear speakers. [ Donald Feb 17, 2017 ]
We used Pinpoint mounts (AM20) which include a faceplate to cover existing pre-wire box. They are strong enough to hold radius 90 speakers to wall. [ Rahul Feb 17, 2017 ]
crutchfield has wall mounts that easily attach to the speakers and wall. very clean look and sturdy. [ Donald Aug 28, 2016 ]