Denon HEOS AVR
5.1-channel home theater receiver with wireless surround sound capability
Our take on the Denon HEOS AVR by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Surround sound goes wireless
Denon's HEOS AVR is a sleek, simple home theater receiver that puts wireless whole-home audio within easy reach. This innovative receiver connects to your TV and other home theater components, and lets you enjoy 5.1-channel surround sound. Want fewer wires in your life? Use a pair of HEOS speakers as wireless surrounds and add a wireless HEOS subwoofer.
The HEOS app offers easy setup and control of the HEOS AVR and other HEOS components from any compatible mobile device
HEOS offers a wide array of music options
The HEOS app puts loads of music at your fingertips. You have access to tunes stored on your mobile device, plus downloads from a server or computer. That includes high-resolution music files, too.
There's support for Pandora®, TIDAL, Amazon Prime, and SiriusXM. Pull up a new song or podcast on SoundCloud, or stream internet radio from TuneIn or iHeartRadio. And if you're a Spotify® Premium subscriber, Spotify Connect lets you play all your favorite albums and playlists.
Built-in Bluetooth gives you more musical freedom
Want to listen to audio from YouTube? Or maybe you have a new music service not yet available through HEOS? Just use Bluetooth to stream any and all audio sources from your phone or tablet through the HEOS AVR, without restrictions. You can also send that Bluetooth stream to other HEOS speakers.
Add HEOS speakers throughout the house
The HEOS app lets you choose one song to play through the HEOS AVR, and something completely different on other HEOS speakers elsewhere. Or you can group HEOS speakers together and have the same tunes playing throughout several rooms. Have first-generation HEOS gear? All HEOS components are still compatible, so you can mix and match.
Send TV and CD sound to other rooms
The HEOS AVR has connections for other audio sources like a disc player, cable or satellite box, portable music player, or streaming media device. You can send music from any of these connected sources to other HEOS speakers and components.
Other HEOS options for your whole-home audio system
HEOS 7 - The largest speaker in the HEOS family is great for large rooms and open floor plans.
HEOS 5 - This mid-sized speaker is perfect for medium-sized rooms like a kitchen or bedroom.
HEOS 3 - Set up this HEOS speaker in a bedroom or office.
HEOS HomeCinema - Dramatically improve TV sound and play your music with this sound bar and wireless sub combo.
HEOS Amp - Add HEOS to any pair of speakers with this amplified player.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel Class D amplifier
- 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- wireless surround sound capability with optional HEOS speakers and HEOS subwoofer
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora, TIDAL, SiriusXM, free internet radio streams with vTuner, and more (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your mobile device (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- rear-panel USB input for connecting a USB memory device
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and output)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR 10; Dolby Vision compatibility via future firmware update
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 1 pair of stereo RCA inputs
- 3.5mm stereo input
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- IR remote input
- removable power cord
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- app-enabled Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings on your mobile device
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 3-9/16"H x 12-1/16"D
- weight: 13.23 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 5.1ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-1212) CR2025 3V battery (pre installed in remote)
- 6.5' HDMI cable
- 6.5' Optical digital cable
- 34" Proprietary minijack setup cable
- 6.5' Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Extended Protection Plan
- HEOS Customer Service Team Card
- Spotify brochure
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
Denon HEOS AVR Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Powerful Class D Amplification: The HEOS AVR by Denon is equipped with a Class D 5-channel amplifier rated at 50-watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.05% THD, driving 2 channels). The AVR's Class D amplifier delivers low distortion and high current capability that provides reliable and stable operation with lower impedance speakers, including 4-ohms models.
System Configuration: The HEOS AVR can be configured for a 2.0, 2.1, 3.1, or 5.1 channel setup. You can setup a completely wired speaker system or wirelessly connect the HEOS Sub and a pair of HEOS speakers for surrounds. The HEOS Sub & HEOS Speakers wirelessly connect to the HEOS AVR via a direct 2.4GHz transmission (up to 30'). You can even wirelessly connect the HEOS Amp to a pair of passive speakers for rear surrounds. Front and Center speakers have to be wired to the AVR via speaker cable.
- 2.0ch: A simple 2.0 channel stereo system can be configured by connecting a pair of loudspeakers to the AVR's front speaker outputs.
- 2.1ch: A simple 2.1 channel stereo system can be configured by connecting a pair of loudspeakers to the AVR's front speaker outputs and a powered subwoofer to the AVR's LFE output, or wirelessly connect the HEOS Sub.
- 3.1ch: A 3.1ch audio system can be configured by connecting a pair of loudspeakers and center speaker to the AVR's front and center channel speaker outputs, plus a powered subwoofer to the AVR's LFE output or wirelessly connect the HEOS Sub.
- 5.1ch: A 5.1ch home theater system can be configured by connecting a pair of loudspeakers and center speaker to the AVR's front and center channel speaker outputs, a pair of rear speakers to the AVR's surround speaker outputs or wirelessly connect a pair of HEOS speakers for surrounds, plus a powered subwoofer to the AVR's LFE output or wirelessly connect the HEOS Sub. You can also wirelessly connect the HEOS Amp to a pair of passive speakers for rear surrounds.
Note: System configuration is done through the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio: The HEOS AVR supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, & DTS through HDMI. It also supports Dolby Digital & DTS through its Optical & Coaxial digital inputs.
High Resolution & Compressed Music Formats: The HEOS AVR supports compatibility with high-resolution audio files for the ultimate listening experience over DLNA or USB. Listen to uncompressed WAV (PCM), ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), and FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) music files up to 24-bit/192-kHz; as well as DSD (2.8/5.6MHz). HEOS is also compatible with compressed music files; such as MP3, WMA, and AAC (MPEG4).
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: Compatibility with AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) high-resolutions music files will be supported later this year via a firmware/software update.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring four HDMI inputs and one HDMI ARC output, the HEOS AVR incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, High Dynamic Range (HDR), BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, & 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling. The HEOS AVR also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.
- 4K/60Hz: The HEOS AVR supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling.
- HDCP 2.2: All of the AVR's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The HEOS AVR supports HDR 10. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- 3D Ready: The HEOS AVR supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible TVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the HEOS AVR through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your TV.
Note: Out of the box, the HEOS AVR is only compatible with HDR10. Through a future firmware update (scheduled for October 2017), the unit will also support Dolby Vision.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the HEOS AVR is outfitted with digital (optical/coaxial) and analog (RCA/minijack) audio inputs.
- Optical & Coaxial: For TVs without ARC via HDMI, you can connect the HEOS AVR via one of the two available digital audio connections; one optical (toslink) and one coaxial (RCA) digital audio input are provided. These digital inputs support 2ch PCM (32-192kHz; 16/20/24-bit) and 5.1ch Dolby Digital/DTS.
- RCA/Minijack: Additionally, Denon has included a stereo analog RCA and stereo minijack (3.5mm) input jack that let you connect the HEOS AVR to a legacy components without HDMI or a digital output. This connection only supports 2ch PCM. You need a phono preamp or a turntable with a built-in phono preamp to connect a record player.
USB Port: The HEOS AVR is fitted with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of high-resolution and compressed music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive (formatted in FAT 32). You'll be able to control your USB device's music and view song/artist info from the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. USB audio can be distributed other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Music Browsing: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device to browse your connected USB device's music library by Artist, Album, Genre, or Song. You can also type in an artist name or song title to find music in your USB device's library.
- Playback Control: Basic playback control from the HEOS app includes Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
- Song/Artist Info: You are able to view song/artist information with Album Art from your inserted USB device on the HEOS app.
Note: It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the USB port of this unit using a USB cable.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The HEOS AVR offers built-in Bluetooth, so you can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the receiver. You can control basic playback function, such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the included remote control. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album information is still done from your Bluetooth-enabled source device. Bluetooth audio can be streamed to only the AVR, or distributed to other HEOS speakers and amplifiers over the network for multiroom audio playback.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals (Color-Coded): The HEOS AVR has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). The AVR will accept speaker impedances of 4 to 16-ohm. The receiver comes with color-coded labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the AVR's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
LFE Subwoofer Output: The HEOS AVR by Denon is outfitted with a mono-RCA subwoofer LFE output for connecting a powered subwoofer (sold separately).
HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Sound: The HEOS AVR by Denon is part of the HEOS wireless multi-room audio eco-system; comprising of a family of wireless network speakers, AV receivers, amplifiers, & pre-amplifiers for your whole home. There is a free app to control them from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device. You can enjoy your favorite streaming music services, internet radio, or your own music collection through out your home. Plus, set-up is intuitive and simple. To make HEOS wireless multi-room audio work in your home, you'll need.
- Denon's HEOS network audio speakers, receiver amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers
- a wireless (WiFi) home network with internet connection
- an Apple iOS or Android mobile device connected to your home wireless (WiFi) network
- the free HEOS by Denon app downloaded on your Apple iOS or Android device
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The HEOS system uses your home's wireless (WiFi) network for whole-house audio entertainment. The HEOS AVR can connect to your home's network via Ethernet (RJ-45) or dual-WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; 2.4GHz/5GHz). At least a dual-band (2.4/5GHZ) "N" router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection for high-resolution music playback. The free HEOS app for Apple iOS and Android is used for wireless (WiFi) setup with your home's network.
- Wired Setup: Simply connect the HEOS AVR to your home network using an Ethernet cable and the receiver will appear on the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device as a new room in the Rooms screen of the app.
- Wireless Setup: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device and the included minijack cable to connect the HEOS AVR wirelessly to your home's WiFi network. During setup, you will need to connect the included minijack cable to the headphone jack of your mobile device and the Aux input of the HEOS AVR. The app will then copy your mobile device's wireless network settings over to the receiver via the connected cable. You can add additional HEOS products to your system by selecting "Add Device" from the HEOS app's settings menu.
Note: A WiFi extender (sold separately) may be necessary if your network's wireless signal is weak to some of the HEOS products in your application.
Hi-Res & Audiophile-Grade Synchronization: To deliver a true audiophile listening experience for high-resolution music playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz) with multiple HEOS components at once, each HEOS device must be synchronized to an extremely high degree. Based on years of meticulous research, HEOS delivers unparalleled synchronization performance within microseconds for exceptional high-resolution music playback.
- HEOS Gen 2: HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) products, like the HEOS AVR, will distribute high-resolution music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) throughout your home to other HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) product; without any down-sampling.
- HEOS Gen 1: HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) products, like the HEOS AVR, will down-sample high-resolution music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) to CD-quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) and then distribute the music throughout your home to older HEOS Gen 1 product.
Online Music Services: You'll be able to stream your favorite online music service like Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, Amazon, Rhapsody, TuneIn, Spotify Connect, and Amazon Music. More streaming music services coming soon (stay tuned). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels. These online music services can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- TuneIn: The HEOS system includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the HEOS system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Amazon Music: Listen to over a million songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Music. Requires an Amazon Prime membership (currently $10.99 per month or $99 per year).
- Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
- There is no built-in AM/FM tuner.
Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the HEOS AVR. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library. Your device's music library can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Playlists: You can save the Now Playing queue as a HEOS Playlist that you can recall later. The new playlist will be available from the Playlists button on the Music tab on the HEOS controller app.
- Music Sharing: The HEOS App also has a feature called "Music Sharing" which can share the local music stored on your mobile device to other HEOS app users on your home network. The name of the mobile device you are sharing from will appear as a new Local Music source allowing other HEOS controller apps to browse and play music on your device from their device.
DLNA Certified: The HEOS AVR is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant. This allows you to wirelessly stream a variety of high-resolution and compressed music files stored on your network connected Windows PC or DLNA-certified NAS drives to the HEOS AVR. From the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device you can browse music files, control playback and view song/artist information with album art. DLNA music content can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
Multi-Room Configuration: By combining the HEOS AVR with other Denon HEOS wireless music amplifiers and speakers (sold separately), you can configure a true wireless multi-room sound system in your home. You can play the same audio source (other than your connected TV) in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room. The Denon HEOS wireless audio system automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple speakers so that the audio coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync with great sound.
- Systems: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network.
- Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system - receiver inputs (HDMI/Optical/Coax/Aux), compatible online music services, DLNA music servers, Bluetooth audio, compatible music files stored on a USB mass storage class device, and music on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual speakers or amplifiers into a group of speakers that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 speakers/amplifiers per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group 16 rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
Note: A Group refers to the HEOS App's ability to play multiple HEOS systems together, so you're simultaneously outputting the same source information from all the HEOS systems. Grouping the systems will also allow proper synchronization to all systems so you should never hear an audio delay between the HEOS systems.
HEOS Account: Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too. If you prefer, we support multiple HEOS accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora or Spotify account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
Firmware Updates: Firmware and software updates from HEOS are delivered to the HEOS AVR via your home network's Internet connection. When such updates become available, you will be notified when you open the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (4.0+) device. The app is required and provides everything you need to set up and enjoy music on the HEOS system. Using your mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the HEOS speaker system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network. You also get access to settings such as Speaker Configuration (2.0/2.1/3.1/5.1), Speaker Level, and Speaker Distance from within the app.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; and HDMI, Digital (optical/coaxial), or Aux inputs; as well as Bluetooth on the HEOS AVR. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible (via firmware update): Through a network firmware update, HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show - all sold separately). Voice control features include -
- Alex voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. The HEOS Bar and HEOS AVR even support HDMI switching (1-4) through Alexa voice command.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
- For a list of current Alexa voice commands supported by the HEOS HomeEntertainment Skill, click here. For setup instructions, click here.
Note: You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap, or Echo Show - all sold separately) to operate your HEOS products via voice-command. Youre HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network.
IR Remote: The included IR remote offers wireless operation of the HEOS AVR. Remote functions include Power, Volume, Mute, Quick Select Buttons (1-6), and Playback Control. The Quick Select buttons (1-6) let you call up settings registered to each button - such as input source, volume level, and sound mode settings. Playback control functions include Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track.
IR Input: When the AVR is installed in a location where the remote control signals cannot reach (installation in a cabinet etc.), the receiver can still be controlled from the included remote by connecting an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) to the unit's 3.5mm IR input.
Input Management: Once you have connected external audio sources to any of the HEOS AVR's inputs, you can rename the default input names to describe the actual source or hide any inputs that are not being used.
Standby Modes: The HEOS AVR by Denon features two standby modes to save power.
- Network Standby: To save power, the AVR will automatically enter "Network Standby" whenever there is no network access or playback for 20 minutes and will automatically resume to full power whenever the receiver is selected and playing music. There is no visible indicator or LED that will show that the unit is in Network Standby as it is a fully automatic function.
- Deep Standby: The AVR also has the ability to automatically enter "Deep Standby" whenever the wired or wireless network connection is removed for more than 60 minutes. The front panel LED will turn off during Deep Standby. To "wake" the receiver from Deep Standby, you must press the volume or mute buttons which will immediately turn on the front panel LED.
No Display or On-Screen Menu: There is no front-panel display on this unit and there is no on-screen menu offered. Basic functions can be done from the included IR remote, while advanced functionality and menu settings are handled by the HEOS app.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Advisor recommendation [ RAJENDRA May 01, 2018 ]
recommended as best receiver and can switch to wireless speakers for surround sound [ Cheriee Dec 11, 2017 ]
Currently have a Denon receiver but it does not fit inside my new cabinet. My AV installer recommended this version for its size and performance. [ Deborah Dec 01, 2017 ]
wireless surround sound! [ Charles Nov 13, 2017 ]
3 questions already asked
It does not require the link. I have my front left, right and center wired (as the AVR does not allow you to do those wireless) and I have my back left, right, and kitchen all wireless HEOS 3 speakers. I have no Link, it all works fine. I believe the Link connects to your current whatever-brand receiver so that it can talk through the Link to wireless HEOS speakers you put in other rooms. [ Darren May 13, 2018 ]
No. If you have a HEOS AVR you do not need a Link. [ Roy W. May 13, 2018 ]
The HEOS Link is not required to add remote wireless HEOS speakers. [ Paul May 13, 2018 ]
I'm not sure. We use the app on our phones because it has way more options for changing the sound to exactly what we want. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. [ Cheriee Feb 23, 2018 ]
While that may be possible, my wife and I just use the HEOS app. The app is required for initial setup. I do believe that I have read somewhere that you may be able the "teach" some of its basic functions to a universal remote. [ Paul Feb 22, 2018 ]
We are using one in a 16 x 16 room, and it does a great job. [ Paul May 13, 2018 ]
No problem! Our room is larger. I an running wired front, center, and sub speakers with Heos 3 for wireless surround...sounds great! [ Charles Dec 04, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
Denon HEOS AVR
5.1-channel home theater receiver with wireless surround sound capability
Denon AVR-X1400H IN-Command
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™, and HEOS
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™, and HEOS
Denon AVR-X2400H IN-Command
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™, and HEOS