Sennheiser IE 80
Sound-isolating earbud headphones
Item # 143IE80 | MFR # 504771
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sennheiser IE 80 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Portable high-resolution listening
Say hello to Sennheiser's finest in-ear headphone. The finely crafted IE 80 delivers professional-grade sound quality while blocking out virtually all outside noise, so you can enjoy your music at lower and safer volume levels. Encased in a handsome, brushed-metal housing with a rugged, interchangeable cable, it's built for long-lasting performance and durability. Dynamic drivers featuring powerful neodymium magnets deliver ultra-detailed sound with smooth, transparent highs and deep, tight bass. Adjustable tuning screws in the earbuds let you precisely contour the bass response of each earpiece to your liking.
Helpful extras add to your comfort
Ergonomically designed ear tips help create a tight seal that minimizes ambient sound. Sennheiser includes an extensive variety of different sizes and types to help you get a comfortable, custom fit. Made to be worn with the cables looped behind-the-ear, the IE 80 also comes with detachable ear hooks that flex and bend to hold the headphones gently, yet securely in place — even when you're on the go. And the supplied carrying case gives you a safe place to store your headphones when not in use.
- sound-isolating earbud design
- includes extensive assortment of ear tips for a comfortable, custom fit
- dynamic speaker systems with powerful neodymium magnets
- continuously variable sound tuning control for precise adjustment of bass response
- attenuation of ambient noise: up to 26 dB
- frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
- impedance: 16 ohms
- detachable 48" straight cord with stereo mini plug
- detachable earhooks with a flexible/bendable design
- included shirt clip and cleaning/adjustment tool
- protective carry case
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- IE 80 in-ear headphones (medium silicon earbuds installed) with a connected 4' cable (3.5mm plug)
- 2 Pairs of silicon earbuds (small/large)
- 2 Pairs of foam earbuds (small/large)
- 3 Pairs of Lamella earbuds (small/medium/large)
- 2 Pairs of advanced earbuds (small/large)
- 2 Ear hooks
- Cable clip
- Screwdriver/cleaning tool
- Hard protective sliding case
- Safety Guide
- Quick Guide
Very balanced sound. Very comfortable also, I can listen all day. Since the wires go over the ears there is no microphoning when you move.
Steve, Hastings, NE
Sennheiser IE 80 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser IE 80 noise-isolating, ear-canal headphones are designed for on-the-go listening. The in-ear design gives you excellent attenuation of ambient noise (up to 20%) so you can enjoy your music, even in noisy environments. The IE 80s come with four types of ear buds in two or three sizes each, flexible ear hooks, a screwdriver/cleaning tool, and a sturdy storage case.
Sound Tuning Control: Sennheiser offers a unique continuously variable sound tuning control in each ear bud for precise adjustment of the bass response. Using the supplied screwdriver (one end of the supplied screwdriver/cleaning tool), you can tune the bass response independently in each ear.
Drivers: Neodymium magnets provide the power for the dynamic transducer system. These strong, but tiny magnets give you enhanced bass response and greater sound definition.
Earbuds: The IE 80 headphones come with four types of ear buds:
- Silicone (S, M, L): The silicone ear buds are found on most in-ear headphones, and are made of soft silicon rubber.
- Lamella (S, M, L): The lamella or "staged" ear buds have two stages to give you a better fit and more noise isolation than the silicone ear buds.
- Foam (S, L): The foam ear buds compress so they can be inserted into your ear canal, and then expand to conform to the ear canal for an excellent seal.
- Advanced (S, L): The advanced ear buds are similar to the lamella with two stages, but have a flange on the outside to give you a better seal.
Ear Hooks: The headphone cable can be worn straight down from the ears or looping around the ears. If you choose to wear the cable looped around the ear, the flexible ear hooks can be used to conform the loop to the shape of each ear for a more comfortable fit.
Cable/Remote: The IE 80 has a detachable, 4' symmetrical, straight cable with a 3.5mm miniplug terminal. A sliding cable cinch lets you eliminate the slack in the cable for better comfort. The cable can be detached from the ear buds, allowing you to replace it in case of damage. The cable terminates into a right-angled 3.5mm miniplug.
Storage Case: The included storage case has a sliding drawer opening with molded foam rubber for the ear buds and an indentation for winding the cable. Extra ear buds can be stored on posts on the top of the drawer, while the cleaning tool can be stored on the bottom. There is a space for storing a desiccant packet to keep moisture away from your headphones.
Specifications: The IE 80 has the following specs:
- Frequency Response: 10-20kHz
- Nominal Impedance: 16 Ω
- SPL (1 kHz/1 Volt): 125 dB
- THD (1 kHz): < 0.1%
- Connector: 3.5mm
- Weight: 0.56 ounces (16 grams)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I own several Sennheiser headphones (5 pair) both in ear and over ear. Great products. [ Jeffrey Jenkins Aug 24, 2017 ]
Brand reputation, dual magnet drivers, adjustable bass. Independent (non owner / buyer) reviews were favorable. [ ROBERT May 12, 2017 ]
Reviews [ ROBERT Apr 03, 2017 ]
Researched sound quality and universally, this set was lauded. [ Kronicler Mar 03, 2017 ]
Sale price and (just as important) they are highly rated and I have prior experience with this brand. [ D Jan 14, 2017 ]
Reputation for the Sennheiser brand and good reviews! [ Martin Nov 23, 2016 ]
Wanted an audiophile level pair of earbuds to play FLAC files on my Sony Walkman Hi Res. Seemed like a good choice. [ A Aug 07, 2016 ]