Our take on the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Navigate the roads and social media with ease
Pioneer's AVIC-X940BT navigation receiver combines outstanding navigation capabilities, Bluetooth® connectivity, and some serious app compatibility — all controlled from a sharp 6.1" touchscreen that makes accessing all this functionality a piece of cake.
Aha Radio keeps you up to speed
The AVIC-X940BT's app compatibility starts with Aha Radio. If you've experienced Aha Radio, then you know that this cool app delivers a wide variety of personalized, on-demand content while you're behind the wheel. With either your iPhone® or Android, you can enjoy content like audio streams from your Facebook and Twitter accounts, so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to check out your screen.
Aha Radio also lets you search reviews with their "Hungry" and "Coffee" stations. And it lets you tap into traffic info for first-hand reports of road conditions in your vicinity. In addition, Aha Radio offers news updates, podcasts, and even comedy — there's always something entertaining on hand.
Wide-ranging navigation and traffic capabilities
Detailed Tele Atlas® maps of Canada, Puerto Rico, and the entire U.S.A. feature over 12 million points of interest to guide you to the services you want when you're on the road. It's aggravating and dangerous to get stuck in the wrong lane at a busy intersection or interchange. Pioneer's Lane Guidance feature helps by directing you to the correct lane for upcoming turns. And Pioneer's AVIC FEEDS add a whole new level of fun and functionality, giving you the ability to transfer destinations from Google Maps, download points-of-interest from the Internet, and more.
Pandora® Internet radio control
You can enjoy your favorite Pandora® stations when you're on the road. Connect your iPhone with Pioneer's CD-IU51V cable, or pair your Android through Bluetooth and take charge from the receiver's touchscreen. You'll see album art, plus song and artist info on the screen, including control of those important "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" song ratings.
Advanced App Mode and more A/V options
Pioneer's Advanced App Mode lets you view and control compatible iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S applications from the receiver's touchscreen display. You can watch YouTube, Netflix, and other online video content when you're parked, or send it to backseat monitors while you're driving. You can play video content from DVDs and other sources, too. And there are plenty of audio options. The receiver plays your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files. Listening to your iPod® or iPhone is as easy as plugging in to the rear USB port, while a rear A/V input offers is ready for other sources.
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface. You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest. And you can show several sources of information simultaneously, quickly shifting from one to another with a touch of your finger.
Hands-free phoning and audio streaming
The AVIC-X940BT's built-in Bluetooth lets you make hands-free calls easily with your compatible phone, and keep your attention on the road. The built-in Bluetooth also supports audio music streaming (A2DP) so you can stream music wirelessly from compatible mobile devices to the receiver.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Pioneer stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Pioneer, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check Hands-on Research for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" touchscreen display with variable-color button illumination and partially detachable face
- built-in navigation system for all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico (with 12 million points of interest)
- AVIC FEEDS app compatible with iPhone and Blackberry
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- PANDORA® Internet radio connectivity for iPhone and Android
- connection to social media and other sites through Aha Radio and your iPhone or Android
- Advanced App mode for viewing iPhone content from select Internet applications (iPhone 4/4S required)
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- plays CDs, DVDs, SD cards, and USB memory devices
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- high- and low-pass filters
- 8-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- Auto EQ measures and tunes for your car's acoustics (requires optional microphone)
- iPod control: Pioneer cable required for full access to audio/video content
- compatible with Pioneer satellite radio tuners and HD Radio tuner
- works with Total Traffic Network tuner (not included) for real-time traffic info in over 90 metro areas
- inputs: rear 1-amp USB input, micro-SD card slot (for navigation updates), rear A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer), rear audio/video output
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN navigation-multimedia receiver with integrated 6.1" LCD touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Detachable control-panel (installed)
- Wiring harness
- AV/Preamp harness
- 6.75' USB/AV cable (with a USB type-A connector and AV 3.5mm connector on one end and a proprietary multi-pin connector on other end)
- GPS antenna with attached 16.25' cable
- Self-adhesive square
- External microphone (with attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle male 2.5mm connector)
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Face-fixing screw
- Two-sided tape
- Operation Manual CD-ROM
- Installation Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- Online Product Registration Card
- NAVTEQ Maps Registration Card
- "Important Information for the User" booklet
Great product, no issues.
Norman S. Martin, Coatesville, PA
Pioneer AVIC-X940BT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm (f), Compostie (r)|
|Android Control||USB MSC + Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP + Pandora|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2.2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.1" TFT LCD Touchscreen Color Display: The AVIC-X940BT features a 6.1" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480, for a total of 384,000 pixels. The touchscreen display provides navigation functions and allows you to control this unit and a paired Bluetooth device, or a connected component such as an iPod/iPhone, Satellite radio receiver, HD Radio tuner, or USB/microSD memory. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Start Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT has a start up time of approximately 17.2 seconds from Off to the "Caution" screen. Once the "Caution" screen appears, you can tap the "OK" button on the head unit's touchscreen to go instantly to the Navigation screen or press the "Mode" hard-key to access the Source menu.
10-Bit Video DAC: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT utilizes a 10-bit video DAC for excellent video playback of your movies/TV shows stored on disc, flash memory, or your iPod/iPhone.
Multilingual Display: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT offers English, French, and Spanish text.
Video Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for each source and the optional rear view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video:
- Full: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only, enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions.
- Just: The picture is enlarged slightly at the center and the amount of enlargement increases horizontally toward the ends of the picture.
- Zoom: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen.
- Cinema: A picture is enlarged by the same proportion as Full or Zoom in the horizontal direction and by an intermediate proportion between Full and Zoom in the vertical direction.
- Normal: A 4:3 picture is displayed as it is.
Splash Screen: You can change the splash screen of the head unit to one of six pre-installed images (Black, Curves Light Blue, IC Gold, Ripple Blue, or Spotlight Green). You can also change the splash screen to custom images stored on an inserted microSD memory card. These custom images must be JPEG or BMP files (2592 x 1944 or smaller).
Shortcut Menu: You can register your favorite menu items in the head unit's Shortcut Menu so you can quickly jump to your favorite menu items. Up to 15 menu items can be registered.
Front-Panel Controls With Adjustable Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to white, green, blue, purple, yellow, orange, red or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color using the unit's three primary colors (red, green, blue) and a 0 to 31 color-level adjustment.
Anti-Theft Security: A section of the unit's control-panel detaches to deter theft (no carrying case is supplied). You can also set a password for the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT to deter theft. If the back-up lead is cut after the password is set, the navigation system prompts for the password at the time of next boot up.
Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. You can turn the dimmer on or off. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be parked with the parking brake engaged. Many of the head unit's menu functions will also be disabled; such as Navigation, System, Map, and Bluetooth settings. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Built-in Navigation (from NAVTEQ): The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT offers a comprehensive map database from NAVTEQ stored on its built-in 4GB flash-memory. The pre-loaded map database covers the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations including more than 12 million points of interest (POIs).
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: Map updates via a microSD memory card can be purchased at Pioneer's online store. Pioneer will release one update per year.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-X940BT accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit has a 32-channel GPS receiver with a magnetic antenna included. The AVIC-X940BT also features a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement.
Note: The car speed signal cable (Pink) should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit. Failure to make this connection will increase errors in the vehicle's location display.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the AVIC-X940BT guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrows on the map, and directions at the top of the map. At the bottom of the screen is your current street, while the top of the screen shows your next street; the upper-left corner indicates the distance to your next maneuver. A magnified view of the map can be displayed when approaching your next turn. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is marked by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. You can adjust the following map settings.
- View Modes: Various types of screen displays can be select for navigation guidance; 2D View (displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen), 3D View (displays three-dimensional map with your direction at the top of the map screen), Street View (information on the next 4 guidance points closest to your current location appear in order from top to bottom on the left side of the map screen), Rear View (displays the rear view image on the left side of the map screen), or Eco Graph (displays a graph for eco-driving on the left side of the map screen).
- Day/Night Modes: You can also select between brightness modes; Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two).
Voice Guidance/Text to Speech: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-X940BT provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions.
Lane Guidance: In certain locations of a freeway, lane information is available, indicating the recommended lane to be in to easily maneuver the next instruction. While driving on the freeway, freeway exit numbers and freeway signs may be displayed in the vicinity of interchanges and exits.
Destination Search: The Destination Search menu provides several different categories for you to use when searching for addresses, cities, and other locations. The detailed map loaded in the navigation system also contains millions of points of interest to choose from.
|Browse Map||Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.|
|Return Home||Store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.|
|Address||Input your destination address by house number, street, and city.|
|Points-of-Interest||Allows you to search for over 12-millions points of interest by specific Name or Category (Accommodation, Automotive, Business/Community, Entertainment/Finance, Medical, Restaurant, Shopping, Sports, or Transportation). POI searches can calculated for places near your current location, near your destination, or around a certain city.|
|City History||You can search the cities (up to 50) from the history of your recent searches.|
|Recent||The places that you have set as destinations or waypoints in the past are automatically stored. Up to 100 locations can be saved and searched for later.|
|Favorites||You can save all of your favorite places (up to 400 locations) in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later.|
|Coordinates||Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.|
|AVIC Feeds||Search customized POIs created from AVIC feeds software.|
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable certain navigation functions; such as Address search, Return Home, AVIC Feeds, and Coordinates.
Route Calculation: The AVIC-X940BT calculates the route based on your preferences. You can have the navigation system calculate your route based on the following selections.
- Route Method: You can choose from 2 different route methods (Fastest Time or Shortest Distance)
- Road Types: To let the route fit your needs, you can also set which road types (Main Road, Ferry, Freeway, Toll Road) are to be considered for or to be excluded from the route if possible.
- Time Restrictions: This setting control whether streets or bridges that have traffic restrictions during a certain time should be taken into account.
- Learning Route: The system learns the travel history of your vehicle for each road. You can choose whether or not this travel history should be taken into account.
Current Itinerary: The Current Itinerary is a detailed list of the route events or driving instructions.
Waypoints: During an active route, you can insert additional waypoints (intermediate destinations) preceding the destination. You can insert up to 5 waypoints. Every time a new point is added, the route is recalculated automatically and you can start navigating right away.
Travel History: The Track Logger feature enables you to record your driving (travel) history to the unit's built-in flash memory or an inserted microSD card.
Intelligent Reroute: If you deviate from the set route, the system will recalculate the route from that point so that you remain on track to your destination.
Route Simulation: A simulation drives you through the route, following the driving instructions.
Eco-Driving Function: This navigation system is equipped with an Eco-driving function that can be used to estimate whether you are driving in an environmentally friendly way.
- Echo Graph: This function estimates approximate fuel mileage based on your driving, compares that with your average fuel mileage in the past, and displays the results in a graph. The ECO Graph feature provides a view in addition to 2D and 3D, which divides the map view screen with a new graph to provide drivers with a visual representation of their environmental impact.
- Gas Mileage: You can estimate the fuel cost to your destination by entering in approximate fuel price per gallon.
- Eco Drive Level Guidance: This navigation is equipped
with the Eco Drive Level function that estimates how well you have driven in
an environmentally friendly way based on your Eco Score. When a route is
set, the unit will calculate a Drive Score based on driving efficiency which
factors abrupt stops and accelerations and idle time. Your Eco Score is
calculated from the following:
- Speed: indicates the speed detected (this indication may be different from actual speed of vehicle)
- Acceleration/Deceleration: indicates acceleration or deceleration velocity of your vehicle
- Distance: indicates driving distance
- Incline: indicates the degree of slope of the street that you are currently on
- Sudden Start Alert: If the speed of the vehicle exceeds 25.5 mph within 5 seconds from the time it is started, a message appears and a warning sound beeps.
Note: The fuel mileage calculated is based on a theoretical value determined from vehicle speed and position information from the navigation system. The fuel mileage displayed is only a reference value, and does not guarantee the mileage displayed can be obtained.
Optional Total Traffic Network Tuner: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT supports Pioneer's ND-TMC10 Total Traffic Network Tuner (130NDTMC10, sold separately). With the ND-TMC10 Traffic Tuner, you can check real-time traffic information transmitted by the Total Traffic Network via FM RDS, on-screen. When the AVIC-X940BT receives updated traffic information, the navigation system will overlay the traffic information on the on-screen map and also display detailed text information when available. When you are traveling along a route and there is traffic information on your current route, the system will detect it and ask you if you would like to be re-routed, or suggest another route automatically.
AVIC Feeds PC Application: AVIC FEEDS creates a link between your Pioneer AVIC Navigation system and your Windows PC. It allows you to bring content from your PC and the Internet to the Pioneer navigation head unit. Using Pioneer's free AVIC FEEDS PC software, the unit can estimate the fuel cost of trip routes as well as the vehicle's CO2 emissions through detailed Drive Reports. Through a proprietary fuel consumption algorithm, AVIC FEEDS can also log and archive driving data and analyze driving habits to generate various reports with suggestions to improve fuel efficiency. You can also create custom Points of Interest (POIs) by using the AVIC Feeds utility program. Once created, you can store the POI on an external storage device, such as a microSD card, and upload the information to the unit.
AVIC Feeds for Smartphones: Start planning your route before you even step in the car with the free AVIC FEEDS app for smartphones; available now for iPhone or BlackBerry. Now you can simply find your destination using the built-in Google Maps interface, or from a Geo-Tagged photo, and transfer it via Bluetooth for easy, turn-by-turn directions. Destinations created from a POI search or geotagged photos are converted as a phone contact to the navigation system via Bluetooth. Once the phone book is synchronized, the routable contacts are identified by a unique icon that appears next to the contact in the navigation system. By selecting that contact, Pioneer's navigation system will calculate a route and provide turn-by-turn guidance to that location.
Bluetooth Technology: The AVIC-X940BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 2.0+EDR (powered by Parrot) allowing to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Phone Pairing: Up to 5 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit. Only one device can be used at a time. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT.
Hands-Free Communication: The AVIC-X940BT supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVIC-X940BT allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVIC-X940BT, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's on-screen keypad (0-9, +/-).
- Call Home: You can save your Home phone number for quick & easy dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for the phone number by alphabet search mode. A maximum of 1,000 phone book entries can be transferred per cellular phone. Each entry can hold up to 5 phone numbers.
- Call History: The most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. Each call history saves up to 30 calls per registered cellular phone. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Favorite Locations: You can make a call to an location stored in the unit's Navigation Favorites list.
- POI Dialing: You can make a call to a point-of-interest which contains phone number data.
- Map Dialing: You can make a call by selecting the icon of a registered location or a POI icon from the map (must contain phone number data).
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle must have the parking brake engaged to access these functions.
External Microphone: During your wireless phone call, you can talk into the head unit's included external microphone, and listen to the other party through the vehicle's speaker system. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of many aftermarket or factory radios. The microphone features a 13' cord that plugs into the back of the radio, and comes with an adjustable visor-mount clip. The microphone measures 0.475" (diameter) x 1.445" (depth). The unit is not equipped with an integrated microphone. The external microphone must be installed for Bluetooth hands-free communication.
Echo Canceling with Noise Reduction: This function reduces echo and noise when using the multimedia-navigation's Bluetooth hands-free communication feature.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The AVIC-X940BT will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, and Fast Forward/Rewind. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Song and Album title. The AVIC-X940BT also supports audio streaming of select music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, but without control or metadata. You will continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to view and control streaming music apps. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account.
- Pandora App for iPhone: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT provides complete access to your Pandora account using your iPhone, via the head unit's USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 3.0 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Pandora via Android: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT also lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Pandora from the Pioneer head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Android Market. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Pandora Control: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT will display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Android smartphone. The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT also provides control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Aha Radio Compatibility: The Pioneer navigation-multimedia head unit offers compatibility with the free Aha Radio app for iPhone and Android smartphone. Aha Radio provides you with up to the minute content made available from the convenience of Pioneer's touchscreen interface. Listen to the latest Facebook updates or Tweets from your friends. Listen to thousands of stations that include internet radio, podcasts, and audiobooks. Receive traffic information, restaurants and coffee locations personalized to you instantly, safely, and easily.
- Aha Radio for iPhone: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT provides complete access to your Aha Radio account using your iPhone, via the head unit's USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 4.0 or later) with the latest version of the free Aha Radio app from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Aha Radio for Android: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT also lets you playback and control Aha Radio streamed from your Android smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Aha Radio from the Pioneer head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the free Aha Radio App from the Android Market. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need an Aha Radio account. Access to the Aha Radio will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Not available in Canada.
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The Pioneer navigation-multimedia head unit supports both audio/video playback and app control from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Select the appropriate cable for your model Apple device and media content.
- Pioneer CD-IU51V iPod/iPhone Cable: Using the Pioneer CD-IU51V iPod/iPhone connector cable (130IU51V, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music, podcasts, audiobooks; as well as video playback of your movies, TV shows, video podcasts, and music videos stored on your iPod or iPhone. Also, using the CD-IU51V cable, you can listen to music apps from your iPod/iPhone or view select movie apps from your iPhone on the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT. For audio playback from an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; you will also need the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (472LTN230P, sold separately) along with the Pioneer CD-IU51V iPod/iPhone cable.
- Pioneer CD-IV202NAVI iPhone 5 Cable: You can access audio and video files, as well as Advance App Mode from your Apple iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) using Pioneer's CD-IV202NAVI cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately). The AVIC-X940BT will also require a Firmware update (coming soon) from Pioneer.
Note: You cannot directly connect your iPod/iPhone's dock- or lightning-connector cable for audio, video, or App playback. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged (the unit will display "Audio Only" when your vehicle is in motion).
iPod/iPhone Control: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen or from the iPod/iPhone's touchscreen or clickwheel.
- Head Unit: From the head unit, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio/video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- Passenger Control: The Passenger Control mode allows you to navigate stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat.
App Control: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT supports the playback of streamed apps from your iPhone. You can select between the basic App mode or the Advanced App mode.
- App Mode: App mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You can also watch video on the Pioneer A/V receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+). Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include; Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next. The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged.
- Advanced App Mode: When connected to an iPhone 4/4S
(iOS 4.2+) or iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) loaded with
from iTunes, you can enjoy full on-screen access and
control of your contacts, calendar, maps, and more with an intuitive
interface, formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle
operation. Pioneer has teamed up with app providers to offer compatibility
with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an
expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that
can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app must be first
launched from your iPhone, and the compatible app selected from the
iPhone. You can then operate the app from the Pioneer head unit.
Popular apps include:
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 per month) provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the Pioneer head unit, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- Extra Mile: All-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel
- DashCommand: Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the Pioneer head unit's screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.
- Rdio: Get access and control the iTunes Rdio app (from $4.99 per month). Rdio is a new social music service on the web for the iPhone. Rdio give you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist, Album, and Song information; as well as Album art.
- Livio Radio: The Livio Radio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world. The Livio Radio app has been optimized for use in the vehicle with a range of features an controls right from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen.
- AUPEO! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio is a free online music radio station that lets you stream your favorite artists, songs, and music live to your iPhone. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner." Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the Pioneer head unit's screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.
- StreamS HiFi: The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($4.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- MIXTRAX: Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
Note: As the library of Advance App compatible applications grows, users will be automatically notified via Pioneer's AppRadio iPhone application, with a link to the respective app(s) page within the App Store. Visit the Pioneer AppRadio Site for the latest compatible apps.
iPod/iPhone Display: The navigation-multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information, as well as metadata from Pandora, Aha Radio, and Advance Apps; including Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to 'basic App mode'. Instead, all music information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 1/31/2013):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Apps||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Mode||Advance App Mode||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Aha Radio||Pandora App|
| clickwheel |
- *Audio playback for the the iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), and iPhone 5 will require both the Pioneer CD-IU51V iPod cable and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately).
- **Video Playback and Advanced App Modes for the iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) requires Pioneer's CD-IV202NAVI cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately). The AVIC-X940BT will also require a Firmware update (coming soon) from Pioneer.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
MusicSphere: Pioneer's new proprietary MusicSphere technology allows you to enjoy your music in a new way by creating unique mood-based playlists via iTunes for your Apple iOS device. When installed on your Windows PC, the MusicSphere iTunes plug-in software will analyze the entire music library and create specialized playlists based on various musical attributes such as feeling (bright, energetic, gloomy, relaxing calm), rhythm pattern, beats per minute (BPM), year of the song and/or date added to the device. Additionally, through the MusicSphere, you can select preferred parameters of your music to create a "DJ Playlist". You can download MusicSphere directly to your Windows PC from the Pioneer website.
Multimedia Compatibility: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT features a front-loading disc slot, a front-loading microSD-card slot, and a USB 2.0 Full-Speed port (using included 6.75' proprietary cable). The head unit offers the following media compatibility.
|Media Type||CD-R-RW||DVD-R/-RW/-R DL||USB Storage Device||microSD/microSDHC Memory Card (up to 16GB)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, |
Romeo, and Joliet
|ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, and UDF 1.02||FAT16/FAT32|
|Playable File Types||MP3, WMA, AAC, DivX||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, WMV, H.264, MPEG-4|
|Maximum # of Folders||700||300|
|Maximum # of Files||999||3,500||2,500|
|Note||Maximum playback time of an audio file stored in an external storage device (USB/microSD) is 7.5 hours or 450 minutes|
Compressed Audio Playback: The AVIC-X940BT supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC audio files stored on CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW discs, as well as USB devices and microSD/microSDHC memory cards:
|Audio Format||MP3||WMA||WAV (USB/microSD only)||AAC|
|Bit Rate||8-320 kbps (CBR), VBR||5-320 kbps (CBR), VBR||LPCM: 8
and 16 bits |
MS ADPCM: 4 bits
|8-320 kbps (CBR)|
|Sampling Frequency||16-48 kHz (32/44.1/48kHz for emphasis)||8-48 kHz||LPCM:
16-48 kHz |
IMA-ADPCM: 22.05 and 44.1 kHz
|Tags||ID3 tag ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3||WMA tag||N/A||AAC tag|
Compressed Video Playback: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT supports the following video files recorded onto a USB storage device or a microSD/microSDHC memory card:
|Compatible Audio Codec||Linear PCM||AAC||AAC||WMA|
|Recommended Video Specifications||Image Size: QVGA (320 x 240)||Bit Rate:
768 kbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
384 kbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
384 kbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
|Maximum Bit Rate||Image Size: WQVGA (400 x 240)||Bit Rate:
2 Mbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
1 Mbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
768 kbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
|Image Size: VGA (640 x 480)||Bit Rate:
1 Mbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
576 kbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
576 kbps |
Frame Rate: 30 fps
|Maximum File Size||2 GB|
|Maximum Playback Time||150 minutes|
Note: These compressed video formats cannot be played back via CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
DivX Video Compatibility: This unit supports DivX video file playback recorded onto DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW discs. The AVIC-X940BT supports the following DivX formats.
|DivX Format||DivX, DivX Ultra|
|Profile (DivX version)||Home Theater Ver. 3.11/4.x/5.x/6x|
|Compatible audio codec||MP3, Dolby Digital|
|Bit rate (MP3)||8-320 kbps (CBR), VBR|
|Sampling Frequency||16kHz-48kHz (32/44.1/48kHz for emphasis)|
|Maximum image size||720 x 576 pixels|
|Maximum file size||4GB|
Note: DivX files cannot be played on a USB memory device or SD memory card. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
JPEG/BMP Still Images: The AVIC-X940BT also supports playback of JPEG and BMP still images stored on a microSD or microSDHC memory card. You can import still images from your microSD/microSDHC memory card to the unit's built-in flash-memory and create a custom splash screen for the head unit.
|Still Image Format||JPEG/BMP|
|Maximum Image Size||2592 x 1944 pixels or smaller|
|Maximum Data Size||6MB or smaller|
|Maximum Number of Files||200 images|
Note: JPEG/BMP files are not support on CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW discs, or USB devices. Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Playback Functions: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT offers the following playback functions.
- Automatic Playback: When a DVD disc with DVD menu is inserted, this unit will cancel the DVD menu automatically and start playback from the first chapter of the first title.
- Bookmark (Resume Playback): The Bookmark function lets you resume playback from a selected scene the next time the disc is loaded.
- Frame-By-Frame Playback: This feature lets you movie ahead on frame at a time during playback of your DVD or Video CD.
- Slow Motion Forward: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you can choose to play back video in slow motion (no audio).
- Repeat Play: Audio/Video content can be repeated. You can choose from Disc (entire disc), Folder (current folder) Chapter (current chapter), Title (current title), Track (current track), File (current file), Folder (current folder), or One (current video/song/track).
- Random (Shuffle) Play: Audio/Video can be played back in a random order. You can choose from Songs (videos/songs in selected list), Albums (videos/songs from selected album), Folder (songs/tracks in selected folder), or Disc (all songs/tracks on disc).
Search Functions: The AVIC-X940BT provides the following search functions.
- Track Title List: You can select tracks to playback using the track title list which is a list of the tracks recorded on a disc or USB memory device.
- Scene Search: You can use the search function on the unit's on-screen display to search for a desired scene on your DVD by specifying a title and chapter track.
- Return to Scene: You can return to the specified scene where the DVD you are currently playing has been preprogrammed to return.
- Skip Search: You can skip to the previous/next track, file, folder, title, or chapter on a disc or USB device.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can fast forward/reverse through a current track, file, or title on a disc or USB device.
- Scan Play: Scan Play lets you hear the first 10 seconds of each track/file on a CD or flash memory device.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Multi-Audio: DVDs can provide audio playback with different languages and different systems (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc; external processor required to decode Dolby Digital and DTS). With DVDs featuring multi-audio recordings you can switch between languages/audio systems during playback.
Multi-Subtitle: With DVDs featuring multi-subtitle recordings, you can switch between subtitle languages during playback of your disc.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVIC-X940BT.
Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Off Eject: When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Pioneer website onto a microSD card, or a preloaded microSD card can be shipped to you from Pioneer. Visit Pioneer's website for the latest information pertaining to the AVIC-X940BT. The tested Pioneer AVIC-X940BT contained firmware/software version 0.4.0000 (as of 3/28/2012).
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
XM Satellite Radio Ready: You can connect and control Pioneer's GEX-P920XM satellite tuner (130P920XM, sold separately). A subscription to XM, plus the proper antenna is required in order to receive satellite radio programming.
HD Radio Ready: This unit is compatible with the optional Pioneer GEX-P20HD HD Radio tuner (130GEXP20H, sold separately) allowing you to tune available HD Radio stations. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. The add-on HD Radio tuner also supports iTunes Tagging which allows you to save song information (tag) from an HD Radio broadcasting station to your connected iPod or iPhone. The saved songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. The optional HD Radio tuner connects through the head unit's IP-BUS interface. Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AVIC-X940BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
EEQ (Easy EQ): there are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2.
8-Band Graphic EQ: The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 8-band graphic equalizer (40Hz, 80Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz, and10kHz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's front-panel 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Sonic Center Control: Sound that is suited for the listening position can easily be created with this function. You can adjust sound more toward the listening position left (7) to right (7).
Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -8 dB to +8 dB.
2.2V/6ch Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT is equipped with three 2.2-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The front and rear speakers are fading with high-pass crossover filters, while the subwoofer output is non-fading with a low-pass crossover filter.
- Front & Rear Preamp Outputs: If you do not want low frequency sounds to play from the front or rear speaker preamp outputs (or speaker outputs), you can turn on the 12dB/octave High Pass Filter. The HPF has a selectable cutoff frequency (50, 63, 80, 100, or 125 Hz). Only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output through the speakers.
- Subwoofer Output: The unit has a pair of dedicated non-fading RCA subwoofer outputs with a low-pass filter, phase adjustment, and output level. When the subwoofer output is turned on, you can select the frequency of the 18dB/octave low pass filter (50, 63, 80, 100, or 125 Hz), select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse), and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
Telephone Mute/Attenuator: Sound from your system is muted or attenuated automatically when a phone signal is received when you have hardwired your mobile phone system to the mute wire (yellow/black) of this unit.
Key Beep: The in-dash navigation-multimedia head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The AVIC-X940BT features two AV inputs. There is a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a DVD player or game console. The AVIC-X940BT also has a 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. The AV 3.5mm input is provided by the included proprietary USB/minijack cable (this AV input also doubles as the unit's iPod USB/AV input).
AV Output (with Dual Zone): The AVIC-X940BT features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display to the unit. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, your iPod/iPhone (not iPhone 5), and the AV 1/2 inputs in the rear zone; or your can simply have the rear AV output mirror the head unit's selected source. You can select the unit to output a 16:9, Letter-Box or Pan-Scan aspect ratio to match your external display's screen size. You cannot play DivX files on the unit's monitor and a connected external monitor at the same time.
Rear View Camera: The AVIC-X940BT is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera input jack) when an optional rear camera (130NDBC5, sold separately) is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the violet/white wire in the AVIC-X940BT's harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.