Our take on the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
Ideal for iPhone® users
Your iPhone's your lifeline to the connected world, so it's important that you be able to use it safely while in the car. The Apple CarPlay™ technology found in Pioneer's AVIC-5100NEX DVD/navigation receiver lets you use most basic iPhone functions through the receiver's screen with your voice or fingertip. And that's not all — you also get door-to-door GPS directions, playback of a wide variety of media, and ear-friendly sound.
Apple CarPlay compatibility allows a Lightning™-to-USB connection to provide access to select apps on newer iPhones. Once connected, the receiver shows large, finger-friendly icons for functions such as Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Now Playing, and Podcasts. Some streaming apps — including Pandora® — work within the Apple CarPlay interface as well. Drivers can access these functions with a finger touch or through Siri® voice control. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
A beautiful 6.2" display gives you control
The view from your driver's seat will invariably be brightened when your eyes come across the AVIC-5100NEX's anti-glare 6.2" touchscreen. Pioneer's NEX interface gives you plenty of info at a glance and lets you choose musical sources with ease. Your smartphone's travel-friendly apps can also find a good home on the display when you're properly connected. You can communicate through this Pioneer without taking your eyes off the road. iPhone users also get Pioneer's AppRadio mode for in-dash command of several important apps, while Android owners can employ MirrorLink™ technology to navigate a car-friendly version of their phone's display right on the receiver's screen (optional interface cables required for smartphone connections).
AppRadioLIVE for convenient app use
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface that allows you to spend more time looking at the road and less at your receiver. You customize your display to show several sources of information simultaneously, so you can shift from one to another with a touch of your finger.
You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest.
Note: A small number of apps within AppRadio Mode and AppRadioLIVE are currently not compatible with iOS 8 due to stability and display issues.
Worry less about getting lost
Taking a trip or running errands? The AVIC-5100NEX boasts door-to-door guidance across the entire U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. You can take advantage of its nearly 8 million points of interest when looking for a nearby restaurant, fuel station, ATM, hotel, or shopping center. Text-to-speech voice prompts deliver spoken street names at turns, and you'll get great visual cues from the receiver's lane guidance and speed limit warnings.
Stay in touch through Bluetooth®
Wireless Bluetooth connectivity lets you keep in contact with others from the road with hands-free calling. The included external microphone gives your conversations plenty of clarity when you're talking through your compatible phone. And the receiver will work with most phones for wireless streaming audio, thanks to its advanced Hands-Free Profile technology. You'll also get smartphone app control through your devices:
iPhone: With a separate cable, you'll get control of your Aha Radio app through the receiver's touchscreen when connected. App Mode also gives you limited control over other select apps on your iPhone. You can control your iPhone's Pandora app wirelessly with a Bluetooth connection, including station creation.
Android: You'll get control of your smartphone's Pandora (with station creation) and Aha Radio apps through Bluetooth, so no cable needed.
Discs, drives, devices, or streaming: you don't have to worry about which way to play your media with the AVIC-5100NEX in your dash. The two rear USB inputs are perfect for your digital tunes, including FLAC lossless files.
You can check out video from DVDs or other sources on the 6.2" display when you're parked. You can also tap into video content on your iPod or smartphone with the help of the correct cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained. Dual-zone capability lets you enjoy the radio or another audio source up front while your passengers watch their favorite movies in the back.
You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs.
Sounds like a winner
No matter what you're listening to, you can count on exceptional sound from the AVIC-5100NEX, with its 13-band graphic equalizer, plus built-in Auto EQ and Time Alignment for optimized listening. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes to fine-tune the sound to your tastes, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to fill in the missing "gaps" in your compressed music files to restore them to CD-like clarity.
Ready for SiriusXM satellite radio
The AVIC-5100NEX features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription. You can listen to your chosen channels no matter where you roam coast to coast, and take advantage of special features such as alerts when your favorite songs or sports teams are on the air.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
If your vehicle comes with factory add-ons like Ford SYNC®, GM OnStar®, or Chrysler Uconnect™, you don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the AVIC-5100NEX offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
- Ford SYNC systems: you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions
- GM vehicles: you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar
- Chrysler: you'll keep all your Uconnect functionality
- Volkswagen: you'll retain the factory Bluetooth, the factory digital amplifier and fader, plus VW's media device interface
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details for model compatibility)
- built-in Android control
- MirrorLink compatibility for select Android devices requires optional CD-MU200 adapter
- Pandora and Aha Radio control through iPhone and Android
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance
- speed limit warnings
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- Pioneer MIXTRAX technology creates nonstop mixes and adds effects to digital tracks
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports new Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: dual rear USB inputs; 2 rear A/V inputs; dual camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
- CEA-2006 compliant
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro module to retain factory settings for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Navigation receiver w/ integrated 6.1" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Detachable control-panel (attached)
- Wiring harness
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- Self-adhesive square
- 58" USB-A extension cable
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Warranty Sheet (US/CA)
- "Important Information for the User" booklet
- "CarPlay" notice
- Online Product Registration Card
- "AVICSYNC Support" notice
- "LCD touchscreen" note (taped to screen)
Great system for the price. Installation for the radio was simple. The only modification needed was to remove the tray that the factory radio sat on. I used the install kit that Crutchfield offers, and everything fit perfect.
dupole, Morgantown, WV
Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear),RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear), RGB (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay + MirrorLink
AppRadio & AppRadio Live
iPod/iPhone AV Playback
Disc & USB Playback
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
6.2" LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX features a 6.2" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a connected component such as an iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVIC-5100NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Top Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has a start-up time of approximately 17.3 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 43.1 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
Variable Illumination: The AVIC-5100NEX offers custom illumination for the front-panel controls so you can match your vehicle's interior, plus MIXTRAX Illumination for DJ-style illumination in your vehicle.
- Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
- MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose among twelve patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music.
Detachable Security: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX's front-panel controls can be detached from the chassis to deter theft (no protective case provided). You can also enter a 5 to 16 character password that must be entered if the head unit is disconnected from power.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle.
HERE Navigation: The AVIC-5100NEX offers a comprehensive map database from HERE covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations; including 7.9 Million points of interest (POIs). The map database is stored on the head unit's built in 8GB flash memory.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: Customers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit's first receipt of an active GPS signal). To update the map database, visit the Naviextras website to download the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer (requires Windows PC or newer; not compatible with Mac) and USB thumbdrive.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-5100NEX accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit has a built-in GPS receiver with a magnetic antenna included. The AVIC-5100NEX also features a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement; this wire should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 10.1 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It only took 7.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
AVICSYNC App: With Pioneer's free AVICSYNC app and a connected iPhone (4 and newer) or select Android smartphones, users can access connected services that include traffic, local search, weather, gas prices and more, with key information/icons overlaid on the existing map screen information (subscription(s) required). With the AVICSYNC app, users have up-to-date and current information offering the benefits of the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG), where map data that becomes available within 90 days of the first use is updated on the receiver. It also includes highly accurate and the fast live traffic updates (every two minutes) from its High Density (HD) Traffic feature.
On-Screen Map: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways, buildings, and towns. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is indicated by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the AVIC-5100NEX guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The map screen will also indicate the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, distance to your final destination, timed need to reach the final destination, and estimated arrival time are all displayed on-screen. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. 2D View displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, your direction is at the top of the map screen and you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads.
- Color Mode: You can switch between daytime and nighttime color modes or let the head unit's software switch between the two mode automatically a few minutes before sunrise and a few minutes after sunset.
Note: The on-screen map offers Smart Zoom. When you approach a turn, the map will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
Lane Guidance & Signposts: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with exit service.
- Lane Guidance: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits along major highways and freeways.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-5100NEX provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions. You can adjust the the voice guidance volume independently from the head unit's main volume.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The AVIC-5100NEX provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: The unit will mute the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts.
Where Am I? & Destination Search: The Where Am I? screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby. The Destination Search menu offers search tools to find your destination and play your route.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Input your destination address by house number, street, and city (or county).
- POIs: Search over 7.9 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, near your destination, or around a city.
- Favorites (including Home & Work): You can save your favorite addresses and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling. You can also save your Home and Work address in your favorites.
- History & Smart History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggest these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable certain navigation functions; such as Address search and Coordinates.
Route Calculation: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours/Alternatives/Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Route Planner + Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Bluetooth Technology (Powered by Parrot): The AVIC-5100NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVIC-5100NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit; only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The AVIC-5100NEX supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVIC-5100NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVIC-5100NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVIC-5100NEX, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Preset Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book (ABC search): The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri & Google Voice): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. It also supports Google Voice for select Android smartphones (not compatible with Samsung "S Voice"). You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVIC-5100NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only). The head unit will also display your music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. (app must also support). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
Siri Eyes-Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri (iOS 6.1+) via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for "Siri Eyes-Free" functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Apple CarPlay Compatible: Apple CarPlay is integrated into this Pioneer NEX-series head unit. Apple CarPlay is compatible with Apple iPhone with Lightning-connector (iOS 7.1+). Your iPhone must be connected to the NEX-series head unit via the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Pioneer's CD-IU52 Lightning Cable (sold separately). CarPlay features Siri voice control and is specially designed for driving scenarios. It also works with the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchsrceen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head unit. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying podcasts, music, and radio. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, and Podcasts (more supported Apps coming soon).
Note: Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
MirrorLink: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX supports MirrorLink, an in-vehicle connectivity solution created by the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC). MirrorLink is integrated into the AVIC-5100NEX and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony, Nokia, and HTC (click here for a full list of compatible MirrorLink mobile phones). MirrorLink gives you a custom interface so you can access your music, map services, and your phone to make hands-free calls on-the-go. The Pioneer CD-MU200 MirrorLink Cable (130CDMU200, sold separately) is required to connect your MirrorLink-compatible smartphone (like the Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Note 4/Edge, Sony Xperia Z, or HTC One M8). This cable plugs into the AVIC-5100NEX's USB-2 port. MirrorLink lets you quickly access specific apps for music playback, car navigation and maps, as well as hands-free telephone communication directly from the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX's touchscreen.
Note: Click here for MirrorLink compatible apps.
AppRadio & AppRadiLive Compatible: Use the Pioneer CD-IV202AV VGA Interface Cable Kit / Pioneer CD-IU52 Lightning Cable / Apple Lightning-to-VGA Adapter (all sold separately) to connect your newer iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 7.0+) to the AVIC-5100NEX's rear-panel USB-1 port and VGA input. Your iPhone will also require Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
Note: Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online AppRadio app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. AppRadio apps may not be available in all regions.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application via the iPhone (iOS 7.0+). Simply download the application from the Apple App Store onto your compatible iPhone device. AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app for iPhone consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AVIC-5100NEX's LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be
utilized within AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- Apple Maps: You can view your iPhone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device. Control is still handled from your iPhone.
- Waze: Waze is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO primo app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Navmii GPS USA: The Navmii GPS USA app for iPhone is a free navigation app that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search and live search via Google or Microsoft Bing. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of user around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone, so a data connection is not required.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps,
AppRadio offers Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication,
and vehicle diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- DashCommand: DashCommand utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. A separate OBD-II interface module (sold separately) is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and from various
online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for
- CarMediaPlayer: The for CarMediaPlayer app allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your iPhone device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer.
- Aupeo!: The Aupeo! music app offers more than 120 Internet radio stations. Users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the head unit's touchscreen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary MixTrax app analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Sezza app has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- MyPV: MyPV uses an up-to-date music video ranking system from eight countries across the world, so you can select your favorite promotional videos and create playlists. You can put videos registered on your playlists on continuous playback. Because you can also register search results from YouTube for playlists, you can easily create lists using your favorite videos. You can also repeat and loop videos registered on your playlists.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar App is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
Note: Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
AppRadioLive: Now within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive app for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5/5C/5S (iOS 7.0+). The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native Apple maps from your iPhone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as iGO Primo, Navfree, and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account. Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
iPod Music Playback w/ DAC Bypass: If you don't desire CarPlay, AppRadio, or AppRadioLive, the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX also supports music only playback from your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone device through the receiver's USB-1 port. If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, use Pioneer's CD-IU52 Lightning-to-USB cable or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your Apple device to the AVIC-5100NEX's USB-1 port. If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin connector, use Dock-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your Apple device to the AVIC-5100NEX's USB-1 port. Your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 96dB.
iPod/iPhone Operation: The AVIC-5100NEX will playback stored music and music apps on your compatible iPod/iPhone device, provide touchscreen control, and song/artist information display.
- Music Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Radio, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but newer Apple devices (iOS 6.0+) will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen and access apps.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: In Head Unit control mode the Pioneer receiver supports song/artist information and album art. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/9/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay|| AppRadio |
| Pandora |
|Song/Artist||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone/Android): The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX allows you to access Pandora online music service, as well as Aha Radio social network service through your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (2.2+). Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the AVIC-5100NEX via the Pioneer CD-IU52 iPod or the connector-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone (2.2+). The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your Station or Genre List and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- Aha Radio: Aha Radio provides you with up to the minute content made available from the convenience of Pioneer's touchscreen interface. Listen to the latest Facebook updates or Tweets from your friends. Listen to thousands of stations that include internet radio, podcasts, and audiobooks. Receive traffic information, restaurants, and coffee locations personalized to you instantly, safely, and easily. Compatible with USB-connected Apple iOS (7.0+) devices, as well as paired Android (2.2+) devices that support the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP). Simply download the free Aha Radio app to your iPhone or Android device (from iTunes Apps or Google Play) and connect to the AVIC-5100NEX to control your own personalized entertainment experience.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Pioneer navigation receiver is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, both sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the head unit and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 175 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features include:
- Channel/Category Lists + Category Scan: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels, while the Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time.
- Song/Artist Information + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on screen.
- Presets + Instant Replay: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your preset music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SiriusXM preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The AVIC-5100NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music, video, and photo files.
- Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVIC-5100NEX.
- Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect USB Mass Storage Class (MSC), such as older Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or USB device.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 192kHz sampling rates
720 x 576 max resolution; 4GB max file size |
MPEG-1/2/4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 4GB max file size
720 x 1280 max resolution; 4GB max file size |
H.264: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
WMV: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVIC-5100NEX are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVIC-5100NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in AppRadio Control mode, with the Pandora App, for CarPlay, using MirrorLink, or via Android Auto.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's A/V output can be set to Mirror, Disc, AV-IN, USB, iPod, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including RGB) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Rear-View Camera Input: The AVIC-5100NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC6, sold separately). When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds. Additional rear-view camera features include:
- Parking Assist Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle.
- Trailer Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
- Second Camera: In addition, you can turn the unit's AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately).
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
OEM Integration (via Firmware Update): The Pioneer in-dash receiver is now compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module. When the Pioneer receiver is installed into a compatible GM, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, or VW vehicle using the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately) you'll get to keep select factory features that are normally lost when replacing the factory stereo with an aftermarket head unit. Retained factory features include the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Sync system, GM's OnStar system, as well as Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep's U-Connect system. Other factory retained features include steering wheel controls, Aux inputs/USB ports, Bluetooth, voice command, satellite radio, and secondary display support. Plus, you get touchscreen control over many of these key factory audio features through the Pioneer navigation receiver. Check here for your vehicle's specific compatibility.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer head unit's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Awesome way to add Navigation to your car or truck without relying on your cell phone or remembering to bring a GPS unit. Looks more like a factory install than an afterthought. [ Robert Apr 16, 2016 ]
Best bang for the buck. [ Nicholas Apr 13, 2016 ]
Research [ B Apr 13, 2016 ]
I wanted a good receiver with CarPlay functionality. This seemed to be a great value for the features I required. [ K Apr 10, 2016 ]
Compatible with iPhone, antiglare screen, ease of use, and voice operation. [ Willard Apr 04, 2016 ]
Good price for a quality in dash GPS unit. Be aware, it does not come with a remote. I personally don't use them anyway....but I think they can be had as an option if necessary... [ Thomas Mar 21, 2016 ]
it seems to be what I'm looking for in a car stereo primarly for the gps i am replacing a pioneer for this one and it still works well [ jimmie Mar 05, 2016 ]
Upgrade from my basic factory HU [ Ronnie Feb 10, 2016 ]
The sales person helped me select this radio. Thank you Daniel Daniel's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=178 [ Daniel Jan 20, 2016 ]
A very good product at a reasonable price. [ ernie Dec 21, 2015 ]
The suiting to my needs as well as the options it has. [ Dennis Dec 18, 2015 ]
27 questions already asked
Thanks for your question. Yes it does. I've attached the section from the product page for compatible disc types. This is found under the details tab. Hope this helps. Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The AVIC-5100NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music, video, and photo files. [ Kenny May 02, 2016 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Apr 18, 2016 ] Staff
Yes [ chinnasut Mar 30, 2016 ]
PLEASE GO TO THE PIONEERS PRODUCT PAGE IT HAS THE MEASUREMENT ON IT [ William Mar 29, 2016 ]
I am sure it does, But Not certain as I am trying to explore all that it has to offer,still, I use the serius radio Mostly, the sound Quality is awesome...the GPS is excellent, back up cam also excellent...I recommend this Unit 199%...Everything we were Looking for [ KENT Mar 30, 2016 ]
Yes I believe it does [ William Mar 21, 2016 ]
I purchased this unit 2 weeks ago and it's finally getting installed tomorrow. I will update once it's in and I've gotten a chance to play around a little bit. [ Sean Mar 21, 2016 ]
Not from my experience no. [ Zackery Oman Mar 21, 2016 ]
Possibly. The pioneer can play music files via USB so if you mount as a USB drive it should work. The pioneer does have aux port. I suspect that the phone features via Bluetooth are not supported for Windows devices. [ chris Mar 21, 2016 ]
There is USB ports on the back of the radio giving you the ability to hook up any phone to it. [ patrick Mar 21, 2016 ]
That has to do with the format in which the CD is burned. It's been awhile since I've burned a CD but I think the two different formats are UDF and ISO. One of them will allow the info to be displayed while the song is playing. Most CDs purchased at the store, from major artists, don't seem to have the info for their songs as it requires a little more work while creating the CD and they are trying to make as much money off the CD as possible. [ Samuel Mar 16, 2016 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on selecting the best speakers for your vehicle I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and help determine the differences between the speaker models and help you make the best choice for your system. [ Kenny Mar 09, 2016 ] Staff
Go to the abt dot com website, they have the dimensions [ John Mar 08, 2016 ]
I have found no way to turn it off. [ Douglas Mar 03, 2016 ]
Sorry. I do not know the answer to this. [ David Mar 03, 2016 ]
Yes you do, because there's not a Turner built into the system for Sirius XM .....Its not that expensive online [ Joseph P. Feb 29, 2016 ]
yes, you need the tuner, which is free after rebate, and the subscription. [ KEVIN Feb 28, 2016 ]
Yes, sirius tuner not built in [ Ronald Feb 28, 2016 ]
Yes, you need a separate Sirius XM tuner and transfer your Sirius subscription to that separate tuner. Or, alternatively, transfer the Sirius tuner to the Pioneer unit that you intend to install in your vehicle... [ Eliseo Feb 28, 2016 ]
Yes you do [ Arnold Feb 28, 2016 ]
Yes [ Scott Feb 28, 2016 ]
Taking a look at our research file, it appears that the NAV and DVD will be replaced with an aftermarket receiver. However, you will want to contact an Advisor to confirm (so they can make sure this is true with your model and trim). You can contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Jeff Feb 26, 2016 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny Feb 23, 2016 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny Feb 22, 2016 ] Staff
One you register the unit with Pioneer, you will receive an email from Pioneer with instructions on how to update your unit. I received such an email. I had to download a link to my computer, then transfer the link to a USB. The USB is then inserted to the unit and the unit does the rest. [ EARLE Feb 23, 2016 ]
Hi, Thanks for your question. The entire face is not removable but the control panel on the side does. Hope that helps. [ Kenny Feb 08, 2016 ] Staff
it will probably have to be unplugged after you are done with it. [ CHAD Jan 29, 2016 ]
Yes you can leave it at all times [ Arnold Jan 25, 2016 ]
Sorry I cant say as we do not own an I PAD. MY WIFE DOES LOVE THE CAR PLAY FUNCTION AND THAT WORKS GREAT. [ Dennis Jan 25, 2016 ]
Yes you can. You need to usb to lightning cables. After you install then you can select on the menu either IPOD 1 or IPOD2. This radio is sweet for the exceptions of the GPS in which I rather use the phone GPS. [ MICHAEL Jan 24, 2016 ]
Yes. No Problem. [ JEFFREY Jan 24, 2016 ]
No it will stop the BT connection. If you want this for CarPlay then hardwire it is. I hope next FW does CarPaly over BT. [ Michael Jan 24, 2016 ]
Unfortunately you can not. When the head unit detects anything plugged into the USB ports in the back it deactivates the Bluetooth radios and will not let your phone hook up with Bluetooth until you unplug your other device. [ Brandon Jan 24, 2016 ]
Yes cause I did it to mine. [ JAMES E Jan 13, 2016 ]
Yes. [ Chris Jan 13, 2016 ]
i cant tell you yet cuz i havent install it [ Arnold Nov 23, 2015 ]
pioneer does offer a current map update for the selected NEX series including the 5100nex, however, i have not been successful in updating the maps or the available firmware update or map so far. also i believe the reason that this update is being offered for free is that initially a couple of the states in the north east were incorrectly loaded on the base map for the NEX line. I followed the instructions as on the pioneer website but cannot get the deck to recognize my USB drive for updating and i am now contemplating switching to the 7100NEX instead. [ justin Nov 23, 2015 ]
You should be fine, I have over a weeks worth of music on my usb drive and it handles it just fine. [ EVANDA Nov 13, 2015 ]
I wish i could help but haven't made it that far into the unit yet. If i send you a usb drive can yoou copy those 10000 songs for me? lol thats a hell of a library. [ Jim Nov 05, 2015 ]
Yes , Ive only listened to my iTunes or Pandora a handful of times but the song ends and it goes right into the next song on the track [ MATT Nov 10, 2015 ]
Explain to what that is and I can give u an accurate answer [ MATT Nov 10, 2015 ]
FLAC is a file format for music. Gapless means there is no break between tracks. If a song blends into another there is no break, it just continues. [ Jodie Nov 03, 2015 ]
What do you mean gapless [ Froylan Oct 31, 2015 ]
I have no idea what that is [ Kenneth Oct 30, 2015 ]
not really. I have an android samsung note 4 and it is ok for the basic functions such as phone calls and playing music via bluetooth connection but it will not work if you use the usb cable. the usb cable will work with an apple phone. [ David Sep 30, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Yes, the Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX is compatible with Android devices including the Galaxy S6 via Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio-streaming as well as USB for audio-streaming and charging. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Sep 30, 2015 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Sep 18, 2015 ] Staff
you can go into the GPS settings and you cannot turn them completely off but you can, turn off audio warnings, and set the visual warning from %100 to like %150 of the posted speed limit. [ justin Nov 23, 2015 ]
There is a way in settings. [ Ronald Sep 05, 2015 ]
If you find out let me know. I take it as confirmation that I will beat the estimated arrival time. [ BLAIR N Sep 04, 2015 ]
Yes, you can control or turn off the speed warning. See page 66 of the on-line manual under Navigation/ Speed Warning. [ Emory Sep 04, 2015 ]
I'm assuming you mean disable so here is what I know. Select your Map function Select the Menu (bottom right of screen) Select settings (you may need to touch the right arrow to get to settings) Select Warnings Select Speed Warning There are multiple settings here so select wat you want. This function will not be available if your car is in motion. I hope that helps. [ Charles Sep 04, 2015 ]
sorry, correction, the faceplate is on the left. [ David Sep 30, 2015 ]
yes, the faceplate is on the right. [ David Sep 30, 2015 ]
Yes, the left hand controls detach. [ Ronald Jul 29, 2015 ]
The buttons you see on the left side of the unit for controlling the function of the box comes off and you can put in your pocket. [ Emory Jul 29, 2015 ]
Yes, buttons on the left side come off. [ David Jul 29, 2015 ]
Yes, panel on left [ GORD Jul 29, 2015 ]
Yes, the slim control panel with volume control and other buttons detaches. Button towards the bottom is the release button [ Paul Jul 29, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Mar 13, 2015 ] Staff