49" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2017 model)
Item # 15849X800E | MFR # XBR49X800E
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Sony XBR-49X800E by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
A star among medium-sized screens
Sony's XBR-49X800E packs up-to-the-minute TV technology into a sleek 49" panel. It combines 4K resolution with HDR (High Dynamic Range) to deliver a vibrant viewing experience. The '49X800E's small footprint helps it fit easily in a bedroom, den, or small living room.
HDR is one of the biggest advances in TV technology in years. Movies and shows encoded with HDR can provide incredibly vivid color, brightness, and contrast when viewed on the XBR-49X800E. HDR is available on nearly all Ultra HD Blu-ray titles, as well as on a growing amount of streamed 4K content from services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video.
Breathe new life into everything you watch
The '49X800E brilliantly displays content from Ultra HD Blu-ray players and discs, as well as streamed 4K movies and TV shows. It will upconvert all your other sources to near-4K quality. Sony's 4K X-Reality™ PRO chip visibly improves detail and color on everything from Blu-ray discs to video games to streamed content.
Enjoy more natural-looking colors
The XBR-49X800E uses Sony's TRILUMINOS™ Display technology to offer a wider range of reds, blues, and greens than you get with a traditional LED panel. This expanded palette ensures that colors do not become oversaturated. Instead, they look more lifelike and natural.
Imagine watching a football or baseball game, and seeing all of the shades of green appear the way they would on an actual grassy field. Or seeing your favorite actor's face — with all of its subtle skin tones — displayed with nuance and authenticity. That's the sort of true-to-life color that the '49X800E delivers.
Smart technology with familiar features
The built-in Android™ operating system lets this TV operate a lot like a smartphone. You can use Chromecast Built-in™ to cast movies and TV shows, music, and photos and videos from your iOS® or Android-based phone, or from a laptop. The remote's voice control feature lets you access movies, shows, and apps, simply by talking.
Unsure if your network can handle demanding tasks like 4K streaming? Check out our wireless router buying guide. If you haven't upgraded your hardware in the last few years, a new router will offer big improvements in range and speed.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 48.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- Motionflow™ XR 240 (60Hz refresh rate)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed from the TV's built-in apps
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- edge LED backlighting with frame dimming provides good picture contrast and black levels
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) LCD panel provides very good off-axis viewing
- 4K X-Reality™ PRO ensures the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- built-in tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0a
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- detachable pedestal stand ("footprint" is 22-5/16"W x 10-1/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 43-1/4"W x 25-5/16"H x 2-5/16"D (27-1/4"H x 10-1/16"D on stand)
- weight: 28.5 lbs. with stand; 26.9 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 49" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- AC power supply (attached 58" DC cord)
- 22" AC power cord
- Remote control (RMF-TX300U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Dual IR blaster
- Four M4 x 12mm screws (lock-/flat-washers attached)
- Reference Guide (En/Fr)
- Setup Guide
- "Child Safety" note
- Safety & Regulatory Booklet
- End User License Agreement
- "Attention" note
- Warranty Information
- PlayStation Vue brochure
You can't go wrong with Sony tv's. Beautiful picture, more than adequate sound, terrific look. I'm not a tv expert, but I have bought Sony tv's for years, and have never been disappointed. Enjoy.
Scot, Delray Beach, FL
Sony XBR-49X800E Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Network & USB Functions
4K HDR: For the ultimate in picture quality, this TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, color and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture TVs have ever been able to create, with brilliant highlights and fine detail.
- Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. Advanced picture processing also ensures that every single pixel displays images with superb brightness and authentic detail. It's the highest resolution picture Sony has ever produced on a TV.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range)
reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels,
bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This
increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed
blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity
and detail. The Sony TV supports two HDR formats - including HDR10 which is
the most widely used format and is installed from the factory, plus HLG
(Hybrid-Log Gamma) which is designed for over-the-air broadcast and requires
an over-the-network firmware update.
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler: Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and astounding color. This 4K television upscales your favorite TV shows, DVD and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD quality. This unique 4K X-Reality PRO picture processing technology upscales every pixel for remarkable clarity. Advanced noise reduction techniques and a special pattern database ensure every scene is full of lifelike detail. One database is used to clean the picture, reducing on-screen noise; the other is used to upscale the resolution, improving clarity; while another database improves color, brightness, and contrast. These three powerful image improvement databases work together, dynamically improving pixels in real time. Each database has tens of thousands of references, amassed from Sony's experience creating content for TV and movies over the years.
- Upscaling Database: Unique to Sony, 4K X-Reality PRO picture processing upscales every pixel for remarkable clarity. Pixels across multiple frames are analyzed and images sharpened and refined in real time. You will immediately see the detail appear in faces and skin tones.
- Pattern Database: With 4K X-Reality PRO, patterns in images are compared with patterns stored in a unique database to find the best hue, saturation, and brightness for each pixel. Sony uses the knowledge gained from developing and filming blockbuster movies and TV shows to deliver supremely lifelike detail in everything you watch.
- Noise Reduction Database: Compressed noise is identified by the database, which includes "before and after" data on what a picture should look like and removes the compressed picture noise. A variety of noise reduction techniques are then used by 4K X-Reality PRO to sharpen and refine images. You'll immediately see how scenes become clearer, smoother, and more natural.
TRILUMINOS Display: Unique to Sony, a TRILUMINOS Display with its specially developed backlight selectively maps colors across a wider gamut, ensuring subtle colors do not become oversaturated and unnatural. You'll enjoy vivid, authentic images that evoke the emotion in every scene. The more pencils you have to draw an image, the more vibrant and lifelike it becomes. TRILUMINOS Display works in the same way, using a wider color spectrum than a conventional LED-LCD display. A TRILUMINOS Display excels at reproducing reds, greens, and blues; colors that are notoriously difficult for TVs to display accurately. It also displays skin tones beautifully, thanks to its extensive color palette and precise gradation.
MotionFlow XR 240 Technology: Enjoy smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences with Motionflow XR 240. Sony's MotionFlow XR 240 technology features a backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 240 combines 60 frames-per-second with the TV's LED backlight system to simulate a 240 Hz effect. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones and then compares key visual factors on successive frames, then calculates the split second of missing action in the sequences. MotionFlow XR 240 provides smooth detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture.
Video Inputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is equipped with HDMI 2.0a, Component, and Composite video inputs. A back cover has to be removed to access these video inputs.
- HDMI 2.0a: The Ultra-HD TV is fitted with four HDMI
2.0a inputs to connect your Ultra-HD/HDR and HD sources; such as Ultra
Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Satellite/Cable and Playstation. In addition, any HDMI
input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept
4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. HDMI inputs 2 & 3 will do 4K
(60Hz), while HDMI inputs 1 & 4 will only support 4K (30/24Hz).
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Component/Composite: There is one combination analog video input that can be used as a component or composite video input; it shares a single stereo RCA audio input. As a component video input, it will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. As a composite video input, it will support 480i video signals only. There is also a 3.5mm AV input for connection of an analog audio/video component.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Adjustments: The TV offers a variety of screen, picture, and video adjustments to maximize image quality.
- Screen Modes: The Screen Modes feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Choose from Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, or Auto Wide. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
- Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Cinema (Pro/Home), Sports, Animation, and Custom.
- Advanced Video Settings: The Advanced Video Settings
menu offers further adjustment of the TV's video image.
- Brightness: You can increase or decrease the brightness of an image by adjusting the TV's Brightness, Contrast, Gamma (adjusts light/dark balance), Black Level, and Black Adjust (enhances black areas).
- Color: You can tailor the color of an image by adjusting the TV's Color, Hue, Color Temperature (white balance), Color Space (sets color reproduction range), or Live Color (produces vivid colors).
- Clarity: You can improve the clarity of an image by adjusting the TV's Sharpness, Reality Creation (increases clarity), Resolution (increases detail), and Noise reduction (removes noise).
- Motion: Activate Sony's Motionflow technology to reduce motion blur and judder. CineMotion provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content, like Blu-ray & DVD.
Light Sensor & Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes.
Live Color Technology: Powered by an image processor using an algorithm specially developed by Sony, Live Color is able to reproduce incredibly vivid colors on screen. With four user-adjustable settings available (High/Medium/Low/Off), you can choose just how vivid you want your images to be. Whether it's a brilliant blue sky or a bright red rose, everything stands out so much more with Live Color.
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer: The Dynamic Contrast Enhancer optimizes the range of brightness frame-by-frame according to what's happening on screen to reproduce deeper blacks, brighter whites, and more video color.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will support PIP (Picture-in-Picture). This feature lets you watch the TV's over-the-air tuner in a small window on-screen, while viewing an Android TV app (like Netflix or Amazon).
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 3 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, USB ports, and Android TV apps can pass as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2ch PCM.
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an AV receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 3 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
S-Force Front Surround: S-Force Front Surround mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum; using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ fine-tunes TV sound for an immersive experience that seems to surround you. Hear music, dialog, and surround effects with greater clarity and separation, whatever you're watching.
Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): Low-resolution Internet video and other heavily compressed audio files don't always sound so great. A large amount of information gets thrown away when digital audio is compressed. With Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) technology, lost frequency components (especially high frequencies) are restored for natural sound with a more spacious feel.
Clear Phase: Sony uses a powerful computer model to analyze and compensate for inaccuracies in speaker response. It does this by "sampling" the speaker frequency with higher precision. This information is fed back to cancel out any peaks or dips in the speaker's natural response; resulting in pure, natural audio with smooth, even reproduction of all frequencies.
EQ: The TV offers four EQ preset sound modes - Standard, Cinema, Music, and Live Football. The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Voice Zoom & Night Mode: The Voice Zoom feature makes voices clearer by lowering background sound. Night mode provides a clear sound at a low volume levels.
Volume Offset & Auto Volume: Volume Offset adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs. The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
TV Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony Ultra-HD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi (802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n or better recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is equipped with Android's Marshmallow (6.0.1) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future. Popular apps include -
- 4K HDR Content: The Sony 4K Ultra-HD TV supports the new HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs that are needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K & 4K HDR video services (like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Google Play Movies/TV, PlayStation Video, and other providers).
- More TV Shows/Movie/Videos: Watch movies and TV shows from Hulu Plus, Vudu, HBO Go/HBO Now, Starz Play, ShowTime AnyTime, and more.
- Live TV: Get live TV programming from PlayStation Vue & Sling Television.
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, & Google Play Music.
- Sports: Get scores, news, and highlights from MLB.TV, FoxSportGo, and the Direct Sports Network.
- 4K & 4K HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K streaming.
- Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Mobile Device Streaming: The Sony Ultra-HD TV allows you to wirelessly stream content from a compatible mobile device using ChromeCast Built-in for playback on the big screen. You can also "mirror" your compatible mobile device using Miracast.
- Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device to the Sony Ultra-HD TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows (on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play, HBO Now, PlayStation Vue and more); your favorite music and radio stations (on Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, YouTube Music, and more); Sports highlights (on ESPN, NBC, CBS, and more); plus photos & videos (on YouTube, Google Photos, and more) from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Sony TV. For a list of all compatible Chromecast Built-in apps click here.
- Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Smart Home Automation: Beyond streaming content, Sony's Android TV platform allows Home Automation control directly from the TV, via the Logitech Harmony Hub (596HMNYHUB, sold separately). IoT (internet of things) devices such as lights, thermostats, Blu-ray players, security cameras, and other home entertainment devices can be controlled and automated via the TV's remote and on-screen menus. Compatible with Nest and Phillips Hue (sold separately).
Note: Requires all compatible devices be connected to the same WiFi wireless network.
Opera Web Browser: You can download and install the Opera Web Browser to access select web content through the Sony TV. The built-in web browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse select websites (text-based only). The Opera Web Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use the Android TV apps. Some web-pages may not be supported and too large for download.
Note: The browsing experience may not be the same as it is on your computer. The web browser is not compatible with Flash video and Java applications. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Google Play Games w/ Gamepad: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. You can connect up to four wireless gamepads (sold separately) for multi-player gaming. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the Sony TV when you get home.
Photo Sharing Plus: With Photo Sharing Plus, friends and family can share their memories together on the big screen from their Android (2.3+) or Apple iOS (6+) devices. Up to 10 mobile devices can be connected to the TV at once for a fun interactive experience. User can even save their favorite pics between devices.
Media Streaming: The Sony TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB (MSC) , WiFi, and DLNA devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/WAV music files, MPEG/MP4/AVCHD/AVI/MKV/MOV video files, JPEG photo files.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or WiFi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony TV features three USB type-A ports (two 2.0/one 3.0) for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. Your USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32 or NTFS. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500A/900A).
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and Android TV apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Discover Button & Content Bar: You can use the remote's Discover button to search for content across platforms (TV Antenna, Android TV, Apps, etc.). Content is then displayed along the unobtrusive "Content Bar" at the bottom of the TV screen which quickly lets you find the movie, TV show, or video you're looking for. Call up the Content Bar and you can keep watching, while you scan through live TV, on demand, downloaded TV shows, and much more. You can even customize the Content Bar to show you the content you go to most often first.
- Android TV Recommendations: Personalized content recommendations from Google Play, YouTube and your apps appear automatically in the TV's home screen. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch, let Sony's Android TV recommend something for you and the family to watch.
- Voice Search: Simply activate the Voice Search function through the included remote control or Android TV App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone/tablet. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into the device's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications. If you press the Voice Search button on your remote while you're in a particular app, you'll only search within that app.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Action Menu: By pressing the "Action Menu" button on the remote, a menu appears and provides quick access to the functions that are available for the currently displayed screen, such as picture adjustment, sound adjustment, volume adjustment for the connected device (such as headphones), and display/audio change. The items in the menu differ depending on the selected screen.
Netflix Recommended: This Sony Ultra-HD TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that is offers a unique feature set which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. The Sony TV has an Instant On feature so the TV wakes and apps are ready to use right away. In addition, the TV turns on and launches Netflix with one press of the Netflix button on the included IR remote. Online apps, including Netflix, can resume quickly and return where you left off. Its Android TV interface enables easy navigation and switching between apps and inputs.
DIRECTV 4K Ready: This Sony television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Sony TV, without the need for additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Sony TV's LAN port.
Note: Whether you are a new or existing DIRECTV customer, you will need to contact DIRECTV to complete the RVU setup.
Daydream Display: You can set up a screensaver (Daydream) for the Sony Android TV that displays photos and colorful designs. Daydream uses a collection of scenic photos; you cannot customize the photos that appear. You can choose how long (5/10/15/30/60 min.) it takes for the Daydream screensaver to start when you are not using the TV.
Power Management Functions: This Sony TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Help Guide: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV also features an on-screen Help Guide for more detailed information.
Remote w/ Built-in Mic (IR blaster included): The remote offers soft push-button control and features a built-in mic for voice recognition. The built-in microphone provides voice control of select Android TV functions. The remote even has dedicated Google Play & Netflix buttons, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker. The included IR Blaster allows you to operate a set-top box or AV Receiver that is connected to the television, with the Sony TV's remote control.
Note: The remote's microphone and voice control function operate via Bluetooth, while all other remote functions are done through IR.
Remote Apps: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App (for Android only) or Sony's Video & TV SideView Remote App (for Android & Apple iOS).
- Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App from Google Play lets you use your Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone or tablet as a remote to control the Sony television's Android TV functions. Easily navigate content and play games on your compatible Android TV device. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Video & TV SideView Remote: With the free Sony Video & TV SideView App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.2+), you can control the Sony TV and browse its content from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The Video & TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
Digital Voice Assistant Control (Firmware Updates Required): The Sony UHD TV will support voice control of select functions through the Google Assistant & Amazon Alexa (requires a firmware update).
- Google Assistant: Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will support the Google Assistant through its Android operating system and the included IR remote's built-in microphone. Simply trigger the Google Assistant by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speak into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to turn volume up/down, change channels and inputs, search content on select built-in Android TV apps, and control basic playback functions. In addition to TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The TV also supports voice control through the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately).
- Amazon Alexa: Through an over-the-network firmware update, Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) will be able to control key functions of the Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content. Click here for setup instructions.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play.
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller (sold separately): If you have a Sony PlayStation 4, your DualShock 4 controller can become the TV's remote by downloading the BRAVIA TV Player app on your PlayStation 4 through the PlayStation Store. You'll also be able to control your PlayStation 4's on-screen user interface with the TV's remote.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with a compatible keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial Port: You can connect the 3.5mm serial port to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Pedestal Stand: The Sony TV comes with a pedestal stand. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The television weighs 28.5 lbs with the stand attached. This TV does not swivel.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has four threaded screw inserts that are spaced 200mm (h) x 200mm (v) apart. The threaded inserts will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 26.9 lbs without the stand.
Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
External AC Power Supply: The television comes with an external AC power supply with attached 58" DC cord and a detachable 22" AC power cord. The AC power supply plugs into the back of the TV via the DC cord, while the AC power cord plugs into an AC wall outlet. The AC power cord is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug which sits approximately 1.375" from the wall. The AC power supply measures 9.0" (w) x 1.5" (h) x 2.875" (d).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
andriod operating system [ Jason Aug 28, 2018 ]
I already have 3 and they work well [ Scott Jul 16, 2018 ]
Sony brand has always provided the best quality and reliability. [ Duane May 22, 2018 ]
This was the right size to fit a built in shelving unit in my home. I have a few other 4K Sony HDTV's that are larger and I think the picture is fantastic. [ Steve May 14, 2018 ]
It was the best fit, both size-wise and spec-wise. [ Steven Mar 26, 2018 ]
Alexa and PlayStation Vue with Android Tv. Sony is the best!! [ Lloyd Feb 20, 2018 ]
A momentary lapse of reason. [ michael Feb 18, 2018 ]
Sony makes quality products and Aaron recommended it. [ JOHN Feb 11, 2018 ]
Reputation [ Paul A. Dec 15, 2017 ]
Its a SONY TV i am in my 6 0 s and growing up if you had a Sony you was doing Good.. Top of the line,Always Great Pictures. And at the Price i could not let it Getaway. [ MICHAEL Dec 08, 2017 ]
Nothing better'n a Sony...Nuff said!!! [ David Oct 30, 2017 ]
Happy to have this TV [ Ling Sep 05, 2017 ]
Love Sony [ Greg Aug 31, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
49" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2017 model)
43" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2017 model)
49" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
49" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)